The Makings of Superb Strategy (Revived)

Strategy and L2P topics.
Element
Level 3

The Makings of Superb Strategy (Revived)

Postby Element » Mon 13 Dec, 2021 11:15 pm

Hey everyone, I once was going to make a strategy guide especially for the lower-mid tier players who play this game but found myself in a dilemna of time and experience but now have both to which can hopefully be accessed by even higher tier players of whom wish to expand in their own light. This guide can translate to many other arenas of gaming as well as perhaps even life, This will be very In- Depth, and while I am not the best player, that being said I am far from being the worst, and when you’re done going through this which I will update periodically, hopefully the same can be said for you.
In this guide I will bring up and explain Various Strategic Concepts, while introducing games which showcase examples of situations which account for the decisions being made regarding the Following said Strategem Concepts

“Out of Game”
-1.) Map
-2.) Match- Ups/Power- Spikes
-3.) Variety of Damage Types
-4.) Mechanics
-5.) Saturation & Abuse

“In Game”
-1.) Space, Deployment/Development, Vision, (Mobility/Agility--> Access)
-2.) Protection, Escape Spaces and Coverings, Prone- Blocking, Zoning
-3.) Layered your Engagements, Counter Play
-4.) Utility Finesse
-5.) Field Sustainability & Adaptability- Roaming vs Stagnant

“Planning”
-1.) Optimal Troop Movements
-2.) Economy Tailoring
-3.) Grouping/Roles, Positioning, & Zoning
-4.) Phases of the GamePower Spikes CoordinationInitiative,
-5.) Engagement Strategies- Evasion- Hit & Run, Split Lanes, and All- Out Assault
-6.) Improvisation

The above transitionary elements correspond to the shapings of my mind personally as far as how I see strategy and can translate as a universal dialogue to just about any game. The ideas provided are here to help provide you with a relative way of thinking outside just your build orders and timings, as strategy has to do with vastly more than that. I will first begin with explaining each concept , to which you must take out the time to gauge sense of its ideas, its relevancy, its situational application, modifications to the application, and finally further recognition of how to best fill in the gaps amongst your own rosters so as to best exploit and not be exploited by your opponent. With no further ado, let’s begin.
-3.) Variety of Damage Types
-4.) Mechanics
-5.) Saturation & Abuse
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
12/13/2021
1.) Map
The map is essentially the most critical aspect of the game outside actually engaging and should always be studied before you play it. On each map if you are playing Victory Point Control, are Requisition, Power, and Victory Point conditional nodes which appreciate over time as you maintain control of them, just as they are taken away when decapped; that being said, there is more to the game than just capping the map although capping the map is vital to winning or placing yourself in greater tandem of position to win bring out your best units and essentially win the game.

Lower Tier Players
-Look to Codex Guide on the provisions of resource accumulation
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=718

Map (Advanced)
1.) Controlling Access Points vs Controlling Resources
2.) The Center of the Map vs the Center of the V.P’s
3.) Critical Strategic Points and Line of Sight Blocking Terrain

Controlling Access Points
Everything to do with anything in life has to do with Access and war is no different. Before I’ve begun the game of any game, I choose to identify the locations to control which will grant me free flowing access to new localities on the map that I define as critical to winning the Match- up. Then Depending on Map and what will be discussed next Match- Up, I take out the split seconds in time to calculate the opportunity cost or even obligation to fight for initial control points in far forward positions which may or may not be held for a lengthy time depending on the flow of the troop movements and altercations,; As in some instances the realistic ability to reinforce a point and overwhelm a foe with greater positioning in multiplicity with having a power spike due to the match- up can end in the game in the first few minutes, and some factions excel at that ability in the early game more than others. Notably Tyranids and Imperial Guard.

Transitioning into the Opening
-So how does this translate into the opening? Well for that we will take a look at this example on Outer Reaches. Outter Reaches is defined for its narrow pathways, punishing retreat paths, and isolated and enclosed venues. That being said, there are a plethora of strategies all players come up depending on their selected Factions, Commanders, and Match- Ups. So the question is, how do you come up with a plan? Well a simple way is just to often identify your factions strengths and weaknesses.

1.) Open Area vs. Enclosed
2.) Armored vs. Non- Armored/ Vast Cover vs. Scant Cover.
3.) Ranged Dominant vs. Melee Dominant

The question you need to ask yourself, is what grants me the great opportunity to take advantage of what my Faction has to offer in relations to what my opponent would like to take advantage of against me? Let’s go further transitioning slightly into Match- Up.

Tyranids vs. S.M.

Note:
I am Not deliving into the vastness of the match- up more rather just asking simple questions of...

1.) Capping
2.) Accumulation of Economic Resources
3.) Engagements
4.) Upgrades or Nay?
5.) Force Size

1.) Who is Faster across the map to the points? What grouping of units gives me the best chance to win the initial engagement? Do I want to win the first engagement? Can I win the first engagement? (Power Spikes)
2.) Where do I need to be protect my resources? Where do I need to be trade off resources? Where do I need to be interrupt my opponents Troop Movements to access their resources?
3.) If I Engage, what am I engaging for? What squad do I want on their side off the field? What will be detriment of not holding, contesting, or trying to gain access o another location on the map which may remove support for a held critical position?
4.) Do I need Upgrades to win this match- up? When do I need them? On what? In combination with whom to create what synergies and what tactics?
5.) Do I need a large force now? Do I just need to upgrade my units instead? Do I buy an extra squad in this tier or go to the next one? Do I sacrifice this squad to free up population space for better units for the given situation?

These are all some example questions which you may have already within your grasp of conscience and have to answer. Recognizing the locations on the map which will allow this to take place, what units will bests will enable you to do so, and how you need to play to maximize your field sustainabilty to do so, which will talked about later

Link to Outter Reaches Map
https://dow.fandom.com/wiki/Retribution/(2p)_Outer_Reaches

Note: paste the whole address in your browser to bring up the page, the link isn't working for some reason.

Example 1.) For the above map would be the following. Say in the match up S.M. vs nids I chose to buy a devastator squad so as to nullify the advancement of all the xenos forging ahead to my side of the map, where Do you want them? This is where style is born based on the decision making based on the priority of the strategic goals each player has in mind before the game begins.

Option 1.) I may place the devastator squad in amongst the middle the req point and the V.P. point so as to stop all access to may backlines to prohibit flanks, control my natural V.P. and req point, as well provide fire support for the power node at the bottom of the map.

Option 2.) Right in amongst the upper power node and requisiton point which will grant me access to cover both the middle route and the upper route while holding one of the 2 contested V.P’s grant be allot of accessibility to different points across the map, grants me a forwards position, and a transitionary pivot point to access for say.

Options 3). & 4.) At either one of the natural Power Points for either player suggesting a defensive or aggressive intent. Which play makes sense given the situation? Do I wish to support that situation with a unit? An upgrade? Placement of other units in supporting positions to that play?

Option 5.) Just outside their V.P near the center Req point, this grants control over the acces to almost the enitre bottom part of the map through the center and the top of the map as well through the center. it covers the contested center req point and puts pressure on their V.P. and ability to move freely out of base.

As you can see, there is vastly more than just control points, but niche spaces which tell the story arch of the game.

Center of the Map vs Center of V.P.'s

-In chess the open is always begun by occupieing the center of the board, and Dawn of War II is often no different. It's where the most Freedom of access to strategic points lie, and what must be crossed to begin to inflict economic damage on the opponent and whomever controls the center controls the board. That being said sometimes the maps are skewed in importance towards a side based on V.P.'s or strategic nodes, or even accessways. So where do I go? well that all comes down to what your strategy is. Some people may go and hold the V.P.'s side, others may neglect it early to hold the vast plethora of resources held towards the other side. Some like myself may play to hold strategic points across the map, the resources around them, and neglect other all together given they make take you way outside of the scope of your main objective until you gain access to units with the ability to easier access those locations and hold them on accounts of mobility or ambush applications. All in all, it's up to you to decide what fits your playstyle, the situation, and moreover your Strategic Objectives goal outpost.

3.) Critical Strategic Points and Line of Sight Blocking Terrain
We have been discussing Critical Strategic Points across the map which fit your narrative but how does Line of Sight Blocking Terrain influence the play.? Well it does so a lot. Every map has some L.O.S.- LIne of Sight blocking terrain in some relative way, and in many instances you can very much so take advantage of it which will naturally grant you great great boons to your position. Later on after discussing more of the elements, I will provide in- game play examples where L.O.S. blocking terrain made great dividends in how the game naturally ensued.

Continued: 12/14/2021

1.) Open Area vs. Enclosed
3.) Ranged Dominant vs. Melee Dominant

Moving along with Map discussion the next aspects one must taken into account is how to take advantage of terrain. Terrain is everything one could say,
and taking note of which can be destroyed and which insurpassable also affects the tactical applications at your disposal.

Open Area vs. Enclosed

What's the difference, the difference is that there may or may not be cover around, and in addition the area may or may not be easier to access based on the fixations of terrain blocking off access points, to which the best Map to describe this must be...

Quest's Heresy
https://dow.fandom.com/wiki/Retribution/(2p)_Quest%27s_Heresy

Quest's Heresy is best marked by it's narrow openings into the center enclosed by breakable barriers come you are able to jump onto them or role a heavy enough vehicle through them. So how does this influence gameplay? Well it completely dictates the course of the strategic viability of access to requisition on the map, the life blood to your ability to reinforce, buy and upgrade units. So How does one take advantage of it? most like to set up a
turret right within the center of the map, and support it with infantry units. But then that leaves the outskirts scant to say open for access by your opponent doesn't it? well that depends on your factions transport capabilities, some factions have transports, and others don't which really affects this dynamic, but if you could hold the center, send out peripheral units notably those which are considered (jump troopers) or bring about the usage of faction wide abilities which aid your ability for quick transportation across the map such as Eldar Gates, and Ravener Tunnels you may begin to formulate a strategy surrounding what areas of the map need to be (heavily occupied), while skimming at areas which need to be contested.

Example Cast's (Not taking credit from the casters just using their games to explain examples, all credit goes to them.)

I will give my 2 sense about the games and explain my analysis further on once I have been through enough the foundational Strategy Guide.
Indrid's Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsxTYt ... Oh8EUyUpIg

Game 1 Example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWdIpnxE_kE

Game 2 Example
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX6CsG3 ... &index=196

Rostam's Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2l9kb ... d_WFkocbyw

Game 3 Example
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBQYeDRV8KQ
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Semi- Open Map (Open & Enclosed Areas)
---------------------------------------------------
Green Tooth Gorge:
https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... ajaxserp=0

I will explain the map after I explain the game, which I thought was very elementary towards being able to describe given the plan I had for it, and the ensueing engagements, very short game but notable noentheless.
S.M. vs Orks

https://dawnofwar.info/esl/match/50636433

Saturation vs. Targetted Assault
-Is how I describe this game and match- up, S.M. all they have to do from my experience of playing this match- up to win the game, is flood the field with bolter fire and plasma and win face tank up the field to which at critical mass (a point of decisive inflection) the game is more or less decided. Where as for Orks to Win it comes down to the need of wiping squads and incurring heavy economic damage in model and generator bash losses. Hardly ever as an ork player coming up against good SM players that know how to use scouts will you find yourself (I.M.O.) ever with the opportunity to really cap the map at least not without being harrassed while doing so.

My Strategy was clear. I wanted my scouts- to access the peripheal sides where it is harder for my tacs to gain access because of their lack of movement speed, I wanted my tacs to access the center due to it being open to take advantage of the fire fights and I wanted my commander to roam around the field, looking units to harrass.

I then upgraded my commander with an iron halo so as to provide him with the ability to more so effectively tank against solo units in skirmishes that he would ensue to find himself in across the map,

I then upgraded one scouts fully to combat the possibility of having to engage a stormboy squad, counterract a garrison, and place extended pressure on the backfield by backcapping if able, as a means of economic disruption and harrassment while counterracting the mekboys ability to roam freely around the map.

My opponent seems to be rather new, so I will be instructional towards his mistakes against me. Upgrades can make or break a meta and with as many scouts I had on the field, it was pivotal for him to buy the Dakka Dakka shoota upgrade for the mekboy. In the early stages of the game, he had capped up and taken a far forward position on my flank, the problem is he kept him capping instead instead of harrassing. this goes into roles which I will discuss further here because this is a replay. Some units actively should not being do the role of capping in 1v1s or even 2v2s and 3v3s and this might be hard to recognize in a game where capping brings resources. but the idea behind it is to nullify the capping efforts of your opponent as a buffer to the capping of your own. This way you don't have to have your units capping all the time, instead they actively can bash, or set- up in a stronger position dependent upon the situation.

Next off he had his units in the wrong areas of the map for way too long playing passively while mine had free reign of his entire right flank for almost entire game in his resource lane. that lane should have been covered by his 2x shootas where as the lootas he bought could have covered the the V.P. and power which could stall out long enough for units to backtrack to the power if needed due to the lockdown of units under supression.

Next his sluggas should be with his shootas helping out to take the brunt of the engagments and act as a buffer towards disuading my units from plopping themselves in garrisons due to the threat of flamers. the shootas could then apply vast amounts of pressure once fully upgraded if he felt the need to do so, and pushed hard on my power lane where as my units- mostly scouts would not be able to due to the lootas.I would by vieing for economic pressure on map control, where as he would be vieing for technological pressure due to timing differences when it came to the bashing of my power. The game didn't go further than that so I won't extrapolate on what could have happened for I want to touch directly on what did.

Orks vs SM
https://www.dawnofwar.info/esl/match/50636984

This game is the other way around, But now I can give my view as the ork player. In this match up as I stated above, its all about Saturation vs. Targetted Assault. You can't win the early game, but you can mitigate so that is exactly what I did. I sent my shootas up the right flank (resource lane) had my lootas sit and protect the power lane with my V.P. in it and had my sluggas and warboss death star do the heavy lifting.

T1
---
- my go to build now with the warboss is 2x shootas with lootas and here is my reasoning for it. Scouts rule this meta, I have to nullify them, that is why I bought 2x shootas and upgraded them with 2x- nobs to mitigate the bleed as opposed to going for damage. healthy squads> more damage unless that damage is outrageous. I need lootas to combat any possibilities of multiple tac squads to protect the power farm, and the warboss with the sluggas should be able to deal with any assault marines.

T2
---
- my go to build is a tankbusta squad with a wierdboy, and my reason is as follows, I know a transport will win the game if I cant destroy it especially an early one, So I que that up immediately, and am always prepared for a dread or Tank given it comes out, In addition If they don't buy a vehicle, tankbustas can always just bash or take over as a back capping unit. The wierdboy helps to control the melee engagements while still sustaining himself in ranged combats. over dere helps in being able to throw squads to the other side of the field to deal with set up teams.

T3
---
I saw the devastator squad and decided to go for a stormboy squad Instead of Nobs, this is a hard idea for lower tier players to grasp The idea of buying lower tier units even though you have access to higher tier units. The stormboy nullifies further set up team, counters termis given I can support them with the Power Klaw warboss, sluggas, and wierdboy warp vomit ability, In addition, the stormboys can always chase around vehicles providing extra pressure. I can always jump his multiple tac squads, I can more so effectively handle the engagements vs the assault marines, I didn't want to buy kommandos because there is already a lot of ranged heavy armored fire power out on the field, and with a devastator team a looted tank would prove to be susceptible to being exploited once upgraded to a lascannon, and the fact sternguard are already on the field, with asm to help wth a melta bomb. I chose to instead counteract his build, by disposing of the one unit slowing down my progress rather than a power unit which would be susceptible to counters already out on the field.

The game ensues. my commander goes left with the sluggas, shootas right, my shootas do well up the right flank, my commander does very well holding up his apothecary and tacs on the left, so much so, It bought some time to bring out my lootas, I then evade the center, that's right I evade the center because I know there is no way to engage them there until I can pull away his units and cap freely without taking fire, skrimishes, ensue. I make sure that I purchase the Bang Bang Hammer and Cyborg Implants, which are outright the best early game wargear configuration without spending too much power he has in this match- up , which immediately places substantial pressure on tacs and Asm and even nets me a kill on the commander later on with many model losses throughout the game. The disruption also nets many free kills do the stun.

As the game move forwards, I cycle out positioning roles for my units. I have my wierdboy deal with protection of the left flank, move the lootas upgraded now with a beamy deff gun to the center and have them in addition to the tankbustas survey the center. The idea is mitigate the movment and vehicle boon which comes from being able to push by counter acting that push through the center of the map, this allows my me to protect my generator farm and still contest the center V.P. in engagements, I know that going to T3, Opens up my options so I decide to do so in a timely fashion, given I didn't have to upgrade to many units and know from experience that while vehicles are good, they can't really contest a good SM player, so I bypass them in exchange for a superior composition of infantry force which in this particular game does not fail me. At this point I am seriously pressuring him on V.P.'s and he needs to counter. In anticipation of this I upgrade my warboss with the eavy armor and the power klaw, I know I am not buying any more squads at this point, I want to work with what I have, so I make sure what I have will be plenty sustainable, very potent, and otherwise cause massive headache to any unit which comes into contact with him due to his huge health pool, and seriously high Damage. He buys a predator which gives him substantial firepower to add to the center, but then makes a decisive mistake. He runs them both through the center which I have been surveying throughout the game, and because simultaenous engagements are ensueing loses sight of what route his units took, and loses both of them, i.e. the game. Always manually route your squads around obstacles, otherwise you may just see them where you don't want to.

His mistakes, were almost entirely positional, he i.m.o. needed to upgrade both scouts fully, also needed to be vastly more careful with where he sends his units, and more so understand how he combats with those units in said positions. Just because you cant attack with a squad doesn't mean they have to be on the front line. Stagger your squads. Other than micro and slight skirmish committals were mistakes. but overall the game was plenty enjoyable.

Critical Moments
-Warboss Upgrades Spike
-Tacs Wipe
-Razorback Kill
-Devastator Wipe
-Positioning Bluder at the end--> losing both Dreadnought and Predator when he drove them through the center to attack my forward deathstar.

Other Themes
----------------
Zoning- there were many instances where I used my warboss and sluggas to zone out the push on my power farm.
Counter-pushing vs. Capping- there are instances where you don't have map control, but the key is neither do they, where you make a judgement call, and go for the bash, if it is sucessful, you may in a better position than had you tried to cap the map to gain resources by just outright damaging their income.
Global Usage- Always use globals when you have the opportunity with your warboss, his globals are unequivocally skirmish/game deciding, an ork player that can use roks as a warboss often is a warboss player that hasn't played the game well.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
What is the difference, well it may or not impact you decision making regarding how you choose to Move your units across the field which will be discussed later on in Troop Movement. Every Faction must make there way across the field, and one's ability to "surf" the channels is greatly impacted by the opponents ability to act a "Turbulence" to your units and harrass them along the way. Later on when we touch upon groupings and roles, one may even find players who have dedicated units towards solely harrassing other units, and the game has been constructed to make sure there are units which excel at this role. So what happens when you feel you can't gain access to another part of the map without taking serious harrasment? That poses a question for your factions Sustainability and Adaptability, the more tools your units have to deal with a situation usually the better, but at the same time, just because you can doesn't mean you have to counter it or even want to, because there are trade offs for switching out your gear and unit loadouts.Maybe the plan changes, maybe the plan becomes to nullify their existing capability to reinforce that point from their side of the field, while completely abdandoning the area, and countering a like minded area on their side of a field as a trade in compensation for your own loss of field positioning in that area. Compensation- is the actionable trade of situation for time or better opportunity costs and coordination in an area when it comes to utilizing resources to their best feats given the position (My own definition) In this game, you will learn sometimes the best play is compensation as opposed to heads up engaging, actually it is often the best thing to do, for the greatest element of war is often Time to remanuever your own units into position to act in opposition against the threat. In this game you often need to create a greater threat which will pull them from their initial plan of play and force them to make decisions which may lead to indecision and force withdrawals and bad decisions.

If an armored faction reaches a covered position in a scant open area and make use of that cover in opposition against a scant non- armored unit the game often doesn't fare to well for the non- armored faction? why? because this game has different value types of armor and damage in it. And what you come up against sharply affects the situation and the means of which by you can handle the situation. Sometimes you had to concede V.P.'s other times you may need to concede resources, other times you may need to to concede Positioning. it all depends on what your faction brings to the table in response to what they bring to the table.

Ranged Dominant vs. Melee Dominant

the timely question of which is better in the 40k universe, and the obvious answer at least to me, is that which fits the situation to best appropriately handle the threat. Usually involving elements of both. The questions you should be asking yourself are the following?

1.)What do I want to act as my Death Star Across the Field?- Death Star in Strategic matters refers to an sizeable mainstay force which acts as your great Threat towards the opposing force.
2.) Will It's primary role be Melee or Ranged?
3.) What will it most likely come up against that might mitigate you Death Star's ability to act in kind to that Role?
4.) Does your opponent perform the same role better or the same as you?
5.) Is there a way to modify your Death Star Grouping of Units so that you can cover for your weaknesses, or more rather take advantage of weaknesses you see in their line up?
6.) Does the Terrain or surrounding area support my Death Star's Natural affinity?
7.) How do I compensate?
8.) Can I lure engagements into areas of my natural affinity towards fighting?

These are all questions you should think about, hopefully not all at the same time which will affect your play drastically. Preparation is everything. The point of having elements of both (where you excel and when you excel at them) is everything. Why? Because you don't want to invest heavily in an area you can't possibly win at of-course, even if it makes sense, as many times the best opposal is to nullify, or evade until you can come up with a more creative or more so optimal solution.

Back to the question Melee vs. Ranged. well for me it's all about...the Damage Type needed. That's right it has nothing to do with melee or ranged at all. Mechanics make or break a situation, and when you need a certain damage type the need ensues the playstyle.

Lets take for example Tyranids. They are the best example of a faction which can do either and excel at both depending on your composition that being said, it doesn't mean they aren't susceptible to being countered. When I play Tyranids I love melee Tyranids, situated around a nice block of necessary single target ranged and A.V. play. I have the scant bare necessity of what I need to pass for ranged units and maximize in melee. (Given the match- up dicates I can) Other times, It may be reversed where I maximize my ranged output and pass the bare minimum of melee. The key is not being fixated on what you want, and always play to what you need then build around it.

Translation to the Map
It all comes down openess of space, prone blocking terrain, and subjective possibility to being countered by the other factions counterpart units which act in opposition against what you are trying to do with your build.

Section Lasts Revisited- 12/14/2021

Now that We've gone a little bit through Map which I will add upon as I think of new topics we discuss Match- Up.

Match- Up is next prioritized element which will dictate what will eventually be your game and what your composition should be against your opponent.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2.) Match- Up
Match- Up consists of the following components:
-Commander
-Faction- Strengths & Weaknesses as a Whole
-Units
-Upgrades
-Abilities

(Comparisons, Contrasts, & Counters) with your own.

Finally How does the following correlate to Timing of...--> Power Spikes

These are what you take into consideration when you begin the process of formulating a plan against your opponent, The more you familiarize yourself with these aspects, the less so are you surprised by what the match- up. This game is very much rock, paper, & scissors. some units are on par with others, others weaker, others a direct threat and stronger. The questions which ensure are the following?

What makes up the best composition to counter what my opponents might build against me?
What upgrades are needed? When?
What gives me enough time to bring out the units I need and the same can be said for upgrades; and finally what is a power spike?
What positions should I look for across the map which grants my units the best chances to be successful?
What Engagements best compliment my plan to bring out the needed win conditional units for victory?

Power Spikes- are natural differences in capability output of one faction in relations to another based upon the timings of access to stronger units and upgrades by purchase which directly influence and very much change the course of the game.

The more you familiarize yourself with these power spikes, the more you come to be able to recognize what you can and can't do within a certain time parameter.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
3.) Variety of Damage Types

Is the next aspect of the game. You need to familiarize yourself with the vastly different damage types the codex provides as possibility to naturally counteract factions which would mitigate your damage modifiers so as to best gain positive one's to bring about more damage. Damage types significantly impact engagements and are very telling as to who will win the skirmish. The more damage types your faction has, the more options you have at dealing or manifesting a lot to the point it may become overwhelming do to the saturation of the damage type in counter juxtaposition of your opponent.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
4.) Mechanics
-Mechanics revolve around all the innerworkings of the game outside of your control. including modifiers to damage, damage done on retreat, Crowd Control abilities- such as knockback, pinning- suppression, and stuns, Infiltration and other abilities. The best way to understand them is open up that codex and see how you can best exploit them and make the most out of them throughout your games.
5.) Saturation & Abuse
- Finally we come upon one we've touched upon before and that is Saturation and abuse. The best builds usually have some quality of maximising on a damage type, a damage method--> Spikes and Burst, or Mechanic- such as Warlock Swift ability granting faction wide fleet of foot. the whole matter of which being that the more you have of something, depending on the situation the more it can become outright overwhelming. The best way to not be a victim or be the conductor of the worst abuse the game can offer comes down mostly to how you understand how to make the most of the match- ups, and what to exploit about the other faction. Watching replays of how other players have done this throughout the games history will familiarize yourself with situations to watch out for where you can take advantage of the situation, or mitigate the resultants of players trying to take advantage against you.

Now that we've gone through all the out of game aspects we move in game.
“In Game”
-1.) Space, Deployment/Development, Vision, (Mobility/Agility--> Access)
-2.) Protection, Escape Spaces and Coverings, Prone- Blocking, Zoning
-3.) Layered your Engagements, Counter Play
-4.) Utility Finesse
-5.) Field Sustainability & Adaptability- Roaming vs Stagnant

Space
Space is the Element ofthe game which refers to area under your control which is constantly in a flux due the to the constant changing of hands which takes place as units take losses and must return to base in order to reinforce, allowing the opposing force the opportunity to reclaim map control. The better you become the more you realize that Space is everything. The more space you have, usually the more resources you can muster in terms of map control. In addition the more space you have, the better positions you can take up.

Deployment

-Is much like the positioning of your units across the map, You want to always think of deploying your units in a way that suggest zoning out opposing units.

Vision

-refers to active view over the map, which is extended by the detection range of your units. You want to maximize this as much as possible, so as not to be surprised and flanked consistently which may results in vast concessions of map control upon forced retreat.

Protection
-Is the aspect of the game which amounts to damage reduction which in this case for this game comes in the relationships of abilities and cover. You want to alway be using cover as much as you can, and for those commanders which due reduce damage, you want to make sure to place these abilities on units which are the most efficient to be placing such upgrades on.

Escape Spaces

Or in this game- Retreat Paths are the most critical apsect of the game, always make sure you have units in your own paths and keep your enemies out of them so you dont take extra damage from melee units which are attempting to wipe your always prone to being vulnerable squads due to model losses which they have already succumbed to.
[i]
Layering your Enagements
[/i]
refers to the situations where you want to place your units in ranks as if you were going to be playing a game of total war. the reason is simple. not all units have the space to properly engage at the same range, and even if they were you succumb to be rushed and taken over by a first line siege break You don't want this to happen especially if you have set- up teams. Always make sure you are using your units at their most effective ranges, and within the realms of match- ups where they would be most cost effective.

Utility- Finesses

Are simply your upgrades and your abilities which grant the uniqueness of quality character for each of your units. always familiarize yourself with them so as no to take the utmost advantage of units out on the field, at the proper times where they are most effective.

Field Sustainability & Adaptability- Roaming vs Stagnant
- Refers to the maintenance of squads, and the manner of style to which you will be engaging. whether that be as a full block or in skirmishes throughout the map in gorrilla style fashion. You always want to maximize your faction in the manner of way in which it should be played.

So what are these elements, in relations to the ingame?
Well they give you something to constantly be aware of, as you position your units around the map, and pick your engagements respectively. The more you are aware of across the board of what will grant you advantages, the more effective you will be throughout the game to spotting ploys and dismantling your opponents

Now we reach the bread and butter of the game. Where Knowledge, Aspects of the Game, and Strategy are fully implemented.

“Planning”
-2.) Economy Tailoring--> Win Conditions
-5.) Engagement Strategies- Evasion- Hit & Run, Split Lanes, and All- Out Assault
-6.) Improvisation

"Optimal Troop Movements can be broken down as such"

-Deployment and (One Directional) Map sweeping without Interruption
-Tasks related Areal Sustain Objectives vs. Meeting & Chasing
-Cross Map Flanking Encounters

So what do I mean by the first. Well I mean always deploying your units out to the area you want them to relatively be in and move in on direction towards those objectives without being side tracked which becomes easier as you assign units roles and tasks. The less movement the better. and what I mean by this is that often if you are moving around too much it's because you are being out manuevered and needed to constantly switch up your units placements, and while in many instances you do need to respond. Having units in key locations to accesss other locations gives you options.

1.) Do I counter their push?
2.) Do I ignore their push?
3.) Do I counter their push and make an attack of my own?

These are the 3 common scenarios you will find yourself in, during the game. except you need to be constantly mindful of your opponents composition. Such as if you are facing off against an eldar player with 2 shuriken catapullt turret teams on Green Tooth Gorge. They are pushing your gen farm with 1 banshees 1 comander and 1 shuriken. but where is the other one? probably guarding the base. So how do you respond? well you stop the bash, and counter on map control, given that you know where 2 groups of the preceding units are with dire avengers perhaps defending the center vp because they are more mobile and have a shield which they can put up to deterr the encounter. not to mention set up teams really wreak havoc on a map where there are multiple garisions on the sides of the map which allow constant protection over critical access points. It's a tough situation to be in, so how do you flip it? well that comes from optomizing your build first and then recognizing your win conditions and economic objectives. Being behind is part of the game dependent on the match- up, but being behind and out of position, can you put you at an insurmountable disadvantage. So how how should you play?

With that in mind their are 3 ways to play that I have recognized

Aggressively- making full advantage of your units power spikes and take respective risks to damage other player economies- Nids/Chaos
Adroitly- or more rather in a fashioned towards Zoning & Annexing space- opportunisticly pushing for map control first, economic damage second, and Overall Tech leads as a whole- Orks/Marines
Defensively- probably the least common, but relies on making sure you have all you need to remain in the game, until you bring about the most critical game defining units.- Eldar

How does this play into Troop Movements though?
-Tasks related Areal Sustain Objectives vs. Meeting & Chasing

Because it dictates the pace of the game, and how you wish to engage your foe, or not engage your foe. One of the greatest problems, many players have of the game is the need to engage at all times, when really you need to be observant and vigilant at all times. Engaging might necessary but if you do so in the wrong place, and you might give back the whole map, or lose a gen farm. controlling the enagement locations is just as if not more important that engaging your foe in itself, because it dictates what you will have access to after the engagement.

2.) Economic Tailoring
-is a simple as it stand to sound but harder to implement in practice. There are times where simply put, capping is the wrong strategic choice for the given game. Simply put, you dont have time to cap around the map, while your enemy is assailing your power farm, or massing to engage a critical unit in a part of the map upholding objectives in a certain area and about to be targetted to be wiped. common games of such are Nids and even I.G. if they mass 3x guardsman squads with one situated towards bashing power and the other 2 at keeping your unit under lockdown and key from leaving your base as the commandder side caps the req points. what about power? There is no need for it, if you can't come out. the power will come in time. These are the type of strategic choices you have to make. In my personal opinion you should think what is the bare minimum amount of capped points I can pass by on and what locations must I hold in the mean time to amass a strong advantage while negating them from capping those locations. That's right, sometimes the best option i.m.o. is to leave points uncapped, let your opponent try and cap them, shoot them off and once again be in position to bash, if they cap it, decap it, but don't cap it unless you have absolutely nothing else better to do.

This is unique to my way of thinking but How I play the game is Following

-Reconnissance- Roamers/Far Forwards- Information Gathering, Cappers, & Support (Delivery)
I
-Harrassment/Opportunistic- Suited Directly for engaging capping units
-Primary Engagement Force/Forwards- suited for enaging their primary force and Harrassing with occassional Bashing
*Bashers/Side Cappers- Unit strictly defined for bashing power
*Stability- Gen Farm Protectors and V.P. Protectors- think Set Up teams
~Initiatiors- Vehicles/Jump Infantry/Artillery/MC's which can push to start an engagement
~Interceptors/Capping/Stability- Back field Protection

The ideas are simple, You want certain units within...
1.) certain zones of the map,
2.) Multiple Roles but best assocaited for the unit throughout the map
3.) Combination with same suited units.

This is how you appear as always being everywhere throughout the map. because you have units taking up multiple objectives throughout the map, and creating problems for your opponent simultaneously. This helps with Troop Movements because you begin to see the game beyond engaging and capping, you want to be in an area negating the opponents moves more than you are making your own moves, because the less plans they have the more plans you can muster without having to worry about obvious threats to your plans.

As you begin to associate units within the roles, your plans begin to evolve as well as your builds. Who do I need with whom, to make this plan effective. What do I need to upgrade to make this combination work? Where Do I need to position my units before the engagement from what (Directions)- Flanking, before I throw everyone into the fray to possibly all be countered by one gun arc.

-Cross Map Flanking Encounters- ensue as your opponent unsure as how to respond to units posted in multiple zones and locations throughout the map, is made to improvise and in those improvisations is forced to inferior positions where they are easily picked off for not taking the optimal routes. This is what the game is all about. Forcing Decisions and Forcing Early damage to be taken just to make it into position.

Another thing to note about Troop Movements, is...
Match- Up for the lane or the zone
some people think of what I am sending down the left center and right. I think Of what I am sending to this location, and what will they meet, and what can help them if they are met, not based on what's in the lane, but what is in the sweep. As you sweep across the map, choosing locations over economic resources, harrassment & Power bash, over V.P.'s you being to recognize that your units are all over the place, and that rarely are the units you need desperately on the other side of the map because if they are part taking their role correctly they are zoning their closest opposition much like chess King Position opposition. You take away the opposition by zoning or shadowing the other players primary troop movements with your own allowing other units the time and access to other key plays which would not proceed if the opponent could effectively take up the positions they wanted to rather immediately.

-6.) Improvisation

I will discuss these later, given that I need to find some good examples of games demonstrating these aspects, engagement types, and necessities. until next time.

Last Edited 1/17/2022
Last edited by Element on Mon 17 Jan, 2022 10:42 am, edited 4 times in total.
"The meaning of life is to have purpose, and the purpose of life is what you choose to make of it, in addition to what you come to understand along the way."

"Because I choose to."

"The humble person knows not everything, nor nothing at all, but certainly something worth knowing."
LOCALgHOST
Level 3

Re: The Makings of Superb Strategy (Revived)

Postby LOCALgHOST » Sun 09 Jan, 2022 3:00 pm

dats helluva work uve done, Fathom. i encourage you to continue your ventures.

ps. last games we play were harder due for your improvenesss
Element
Level 3

Re: The Makings of Superb Strategy (Revived)

Postby Element » Mon 10 Jan, 2022 7:54 am

I will, the holdiays came in and I have had a cold the last few days.
I'll add to it in the next few days for sure.
"The meaning of life is to have purpose, and the purpose of life is what you choose to make of it, in addition to what you come to understand along the way."

"Because I choose to."

"The humble person knows not everything, nor nothing at all, but certainly something worth knowing."

Return to “Strategy Discussion”