ESL Ladder rework

Generic non-balance topics.
Inekura
Level 2

ESL Ladder rework

Postby Inekura » Sat 01 Aug, 2020 2:45 pm

Hey guys we have talked about a possible esl rework on discord to combat the increasing number of people:
- farming new players
-people who turn off esl mid game if they are losing
-people who drop to keep points
-people who abuse a certain mechanic to only get their wins rated

A couple of us agreed that it would be very helpful for our current esl ladder to have both players write "R" (rated/ranked) at the start of the game for it to count.

This would massively help against the above listed player types who use unfair advantages to get a better place on the ladder.
Currently esl is a joke due to those people and this is the easiest way to fix it.

What is your guys opinion?

#makeESLgreatgain
Pieofreckoning
Level 1

Re: ESL Ladder rework

Postby Pieofreckoning » Sat 01 Aug, 2020 2:48 pm

sounds good to me,
been having quite a few cases of ESL only documenting my losses against certain players.
~ Asurmen ~
Level 1

Postby ~ Asurmen ~ » Sun 02 Aug, 2020 4:47 pm

Hmmmm why don't we use the official ranked game? And count the disconnects? Because yeah ladder is very weird actually. Personally I'm playing on retail for 1vs1 these days.
Kill Jester
Level 0

Postby Kill Jester » Sun 02 Aug, 2020 8:55 pm

Inekura wrote:Hey guys we have talked about a possible esl rework on discord to combat the increasing number of people:
- farming new players
-people who turn off esl mid game if they are losing
-people who drop to keep points
-people who abuse a certain mechanic to only get their wins rated

#makeESLgreatgain

Would writing R stop these things from happening? I think it is a good idea. Although I haven't played enough games to run into these problems as of yet.
Inekura
Level 2

Postby Inekura » Sun 02 Aug, 2020 11:10 pm

Yea it would as both players would determine before the real game starts if its ranked or not and not some shady:maybe I got esl on maybe not maybe I keep it on maybe I just turn it off
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Sun 02 Aug, 2020 11:24 pm

How does it stop people dropping to keep points? If your opponent drops don't you have to farm the AI to get your win?
GuruSkippy
Level 2

Postby GuruSkippy » Mon 03 Aug, 2020 8:43 am

What I like with both players having to type R is :
- newbies or noobs, who don't even know what ESL is, won't be recorded, and won't be farmed
- player turning their ESL on (or off) mid game if they are winning (or losing) won't be a thing anymore
- both players know at the very beginning of the game that it is ranked one.

It won't stop people dropping, idd, but nothing can.

I'd like to have the games recorded everytime though, like in 2v2, even if no one write R. Would it be possible ? :
At least one ESL is on, both player writes R => game is recorded AND ranked.
At least one ESL is on, no player or only 1 player writes R => game is recorded, but not ranked.

And R(anked) games appear in the ladder with a different colour, like L(eague) games right now but with a different colour, obviously.
Inekura
Level 2

Postby Inekura » Mon 03 Aug, 2020 11:06 am

That would be the very best guru
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Mon 03 Aug, 2020 3:50 pm

All this really changes is make it harder to farm noobs, and that only applies if both players have to say "R". That, incidentally is going to dramatically reduce the quantity of ranked games we get on ESL which is horrible for our statistics - we already don't get that many!

The ranking problem of crazy high elo gains from farming noobs is an issue of the formula we use for ESL. If that formula were better (which is something we are working on implementing) then you wouldn't even want to do it because the rating gain would be so minimal the risk of losing internet/dropping and losing loads of points would not be worth it.

And indeed it doesn't really stop any of the current issues with exploiting ESL as an app. Nearly all of those exploits only work anyway if the opposing player isn't using ESL. ESL isn't hard to use, so why, if you are bothered about ranking/the ladder, don't you always use ESL?
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
Impregnable
Level 4

Postby Impregnable » Mon 03 Aug, 2020 6:06 pm

Stop derailing the post. Only post suggestions to improve the ladder and no calling of names. For grudge matches, make a separate post.
"Excalibur!"
"Excalibur!"
"From the United Kingdom!"
"I'm looking for heaven!"
"I'm going to California!"
"Excalibur!"
"Excalibur!"

Return to “Community General Discussion”