AI not destroying power points

Discussion on technical issues (installation, launching).
zimbrax
Level 0

AI not destroying power points

Postby zimbrax » Mon 02 Sep, 2019 4:27 pm

Hi, I'm new to this forum and haven´t found and answer to my question elsewhere, so here it goes:

Is there a specific reason as to why this mod removes the AI ability to destroy power points and power generators? Also is it possible to reenable that feature using cope's tool or some other software? I say this because the AI is kind of broken, because sometimes they just leave all their units around the power points without doing anything else (i noticed that with the tyranids, who also don´t make T3 units at all but thats another issue).

I know the mod focuses on multiplayer but it would be nice if the AI was still functional, because I'm often playing some friendly matches with other players and AI aswell but the AI priorities seem to be a total mess. For example we were playing 3 human players vs 3 expert AI (Tyranids) and they started well with all the caps and decaps but it got to a point where they were just sending all their units to a single power point and later in the game they just sat with all their units in their own spawn as if the the AI had quit playing the game...
Impregnable
Level 4

Re: AI not destroying power points

Postby Impregnable » Mon 02 Sep, 2019 5:11 pm

Join the official discord and ask there. https://discord.gg/pBCw88v
"Excalibur!"
"Excalibur!"
"From the United Kingdom!"
"I'm looking for heaven!"
"I'm going to California!"
"Excalibur!"
"Excalibur!"
boss
Level 3

Postby boss » Mon 02 Sep, 2019 5:29 pm

The reason why ai don't destroy power nodes cos units don't attack power nodes without orders no more unlike base game ai don't understand this. The reason why it was removed cos units auto attacking nodes instead of units became really annoying in games so it was removed.

It was talked about before adding it back in tho tbh the ai so bad in dow2 it prob not worth it you won't learn much from ai as it is, it's one of the worst ai I seen in a game you better off playing with players if you want to learn.
Forums great more stuff to talk about.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Mon 02 Sep, 2019 7:27 pm

Yeah, basically what Boss said. The IG las-turret doing no damage to power nodes is a related bug. Unfortunately both of these bugs are tied to the change we made to make units not automatically target power nodes. Another side effect of this is that spamming power nodes before a unit can cap a point is also quite a strong strategy.

But all of these side effects were deemed worth it because of how annoying it would be to have units (mostly tanks) target or AV units with long reload/cooldown times power nodes whilst there were more important things to attack. Now that we have cease fire though I don't really buy that, and personally was always in favour of making units auto-attack nodes again so we can fix all 3 of those problems. Better AI. No more useless las-turret vs nodes. Not making cheeky last minute noding so strong.

We did discuss this a while back, maybe a year or so ago and most people didn't want it changed in spite of the introduction of cease fire.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
Impregnable
Level 4

Postby Impregnable » Tue 03 Sep, 2019 10:03 pm

Torpid wrote:Yeah, basically what Boss said. The IG las-turret doing no damage to power nodes is a related bug. Unfortunately both of these bugs are tied to the change we made to make units not automatically target power nodes. Another side effect of this is that spamming power nodes before a unit can cap a point is also quite a strong strategy.

But all of these side effects were deemed worth it because of how annoying it would be to have units (mostly tanks) target or AV units with long reload/cooldown times power nodes whilst there were more important things to attack. Now that we have cease fire though I don't really buy that, and personally was always in favour of making units auto-attack nodes again so we can fix all 3 of those problems. Better AI. No more useless las-turret vs nodes. Not making cheeky last minute noding so strong.

We did discuss this a while back, maybe a year or so ago and most people didn't want it changed in spite of the introduction of cease fire.

I checked it out in game and the bug where turrets cannot damage nodes but can damage gens has been around since Chaos Rising. I tested this out in Elite Mod, Retribution and Chaos Rising.
- Mekboy Turrets, IG Las Turrets, TM Turrets and Plague Champion Turrets cannot damage nodes. This is not Elite specific. Confirmed on both Retribution and Chaos Rising.
"Excalibur!"
"Excalibur!"
"From the United Kingdom!"
"I'm looking for heaven!"
"I'm going to California!"
"Excalibur!"
"Excalibur!"
Schimiter
Level 0

Postby Schimiter » Thu 05 Dec, 2019 5:07 pm

Is it possible to add a fuction where we can 'switch it on or off' though? Cause I too play vs AI sometimes and AI not destrying power points is pretty irritating.
OceansAteAlaska
Level 2

Postby OceansAteAlaska » Thu 05 Dec, 2019 5:21 pm

Probably not worth it to even attempt doing that tbh.
Elite mod is mainly a competitive multiplayer mod so I doubt it's gonna happen unless somebody accidentally finds out how to implement such a thing
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Fri 06 Dec, 2019 2:43 pm

Schimiter wrote:Is it possible to add a fuction where we can 'switch it on or off' though? Cause I too play vs AI sometimes and AI not destrying power points is pretty irritating.

No idea how you'd do that. Adding a user-end toggle to AI behaviour?
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!

Return to “Technical Issues”