2.9.2: How to beat GK as Nids?

Strategy and L2P topics.
Telos
Level 2

2.9.2: How to beat GK as Nids?

Postby Telos » Wed 07 Aug, 2019 1:32 pm

Having a lot of trouble with this MU.

It seems like GK abilities were made for wiping Nid blobs en masse. I was told to try to overwhelm SS with Hormas but their special attacks just knock them all over the place and give free XP.

Come T2, it seems like everything blows up nid mobs and the special abilities of the BC and other units make easy pickings for Genestealers or Tyrant Guard.

so the only way to win is to try to back/ninja cap while delaying their tech however you can and pray you can get a Fex and Neurothrope out before they can get Terminators or Paladins.

Is there something I'm missing or is this just a really stilted MU?
Bestn00b
Level 1

Re: 2.9.2: How to beat GK as Nids?

Postby Bestn00b » Wed 07 Aug, 2019 2:54 pm

Ye, Git Gud m8
PianoMan
Level 3

Postby PianoMan » Wed 07 Aug, 2019 3:24 pm

Bestn00b wrote:Ye, Git Gud m8

please don't be rude, you can't just tell someone to get better
to beat gk as nids you have to suicide all your high model units because they're weak to purgation squads and buy 3 raveners instead of the classic horma+2terma start
Lunatic
Level 1

Postby Lunatic » Wed 07 Aug, 2019 3:52 pm

Warriors should do good, too. The Warriors have high HP, heavy infantry armor and power melee, so they should be a decent enough choice.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Wed 07 Aug, 2019 10:23 pm

Warrior+Rav in T1, genes in T2, adrenal glands on warriors and enhanced muscle coil on raveners. Wouldn't bother with a tyrant guard, it kinda just allows them to buy purifiers.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
Telos
Level 2

Postby Telos » Wed 14 Aug, 2019 4:27 am

Thanks for the replies! Just a reminder that this is a great community :)

Bestn00b wrote:Ye, Git Gud m8

Heh, I'm trying bruv. It's hard enough to find someone better than me to play with that's patient enough to play repeatedly even though they crush me.

PianoMan wrote:to beat gk as nids you have to suicide all your high model units because they're weak to purgation squads and buy 3 raveners instead of the classic horma+2terma start

I try to go double ravs but that seems to be the most I can afford without being outteched. Is it cost efficient to suicide the starting horms and terms that you start with? Feels like you need at least one term slow to control the BC, but especially if he goes Purifiers in T2, the crippling poison feels essential.

Lunatic wrote:Warriors should do good, too. The Warriors have high HP, heavy infantry armor and power melee, so they should be a decent enough choice.

The problem I have with Warriors is even though they're high HP (for nids), they'll shed models faster than they can DPS strike squads. Also, they seem to always be hit by domino knockback of the horms which makes it that much easier to get a model off of them and thus a synapse backlash. One synapse backlash and I've essentially lost the fight, since they can easily focus down the rest of the Warrior squad at that point.

Torpid wrote:Warrior+Rav in T1, genes in T2, adrenal glands on warriors and enhanced muscle coil on raveners. Wouldn't bother with a tyrant guard, it kinda just allows them to buy purifiers.

This seems like the best solution, but it still seems like you don't put out enough dps to completely shutdown the GK engage in T1. So is it basically a kiting game of moving in with the Warrior leap and then moving out before they can reengage while horms hit at them and Ravs and terms shoot from a distance? Is double horm better than double term?

It seems like you absolutely must hit T2 in good time or delay their T2 with that much investment in T1. But even when I manage to hit T2 first, it seems like the GK player can react pretty easily to whatever I've chosen for T2 and win. Purgation to counter melee mass, Purifiers to counter Tyrant Guard, dred to counter ranged mass (which seems ridiculous because ranged mass involves venom brood, but the GK dred plasma wipes them in 2 shots or even one shot if it's very lucky).

Return to “Strategy Discussion”