Interceptors

Issues dealing with gameplay balance.
Crewfinity
Level 4

Interceptors

Postby Crewfinity » Wed 15 May, 2019 4:27 am

Are currently complete garbage.

The Codex states that their Psycannons deal explosive damage as of 2.8.1, but looking back through the changelogs, it seems like the psycannon damage type was changed from Explosive to Anti-Vehicle in 2.8.0, and they haven't been touched since. Can we get clarification on that, and updated codex files for interceptors and purgation?

If that is the case, then currently interceptor psycannons deal 16.3 antivehicle dps. That is terrible dps on a terrible damage type.
To put this in perspective, a 3-man squad of interceptors shooting at an infantry squad is dealing 7.3 dps total.
A 3-man squad of artillery spotters shooting at the same infantry squad would be dealing 18.54 dps total.

Why was this change implemented? Can we please get a better damage type against infantry units?

Their melee weapons aren't any better. Currently they deal less damage than SS squad with nemesis focus, but cost more power to reinforce.

Please give them some love - right now they feel very useless and incredibly overpriced. Even their antivehicle damage is decent at best.
Nurland

Re: Interceptors

Postby Nurland » Wed 15 May, 2019 11:12 am

I think the change was made because they were teleporting autocannons on steroids with decent melee performance.
#noobcodex
saltychipmunk
Level 4

Postby saltychipmunk » Wed 15 May, 2019 2:10 pm

Nurland wrote:I think the change was made because they were teleporting autocannons on steroids with decent melee performance.

I would think that is a solid reason... If they were in any tier but t3. A t3 unit is supposed to be extremely powerful to justify the massive power investments.

Without that potency interceptors kinda feel.... entirely pointless.

As an av unit.. they kinda suck, psy cannons never had good spike damage so they are horrible at chasing and horrible at kiting.

However as a melee unit they are even worse, not because they are particularly bad .. but because ... they are so unbelievably redundant.

By the time GK reaches t3 they probably already have a strike squad kitted out for melee (because the ranged upgrade is ass) They possibly already have purifiers , they are almost certainly thinking about terminators and possibly have the red saved up for some paladins.

That is an awful lot competing melee units to choose from all of which are better choices given the circumstances of when you can use them.

Id rather just get purgs in t3 and upgrade them instead. They cost less.

At best the current interceptors feel like a t2 unit stuck in tier 3.

I miss having them in t1. I miss being able to skip strikes all together because i could just go for interceptors.

Plus the whole needing to switch between melee and ranged is exceptionally clunky.
Broodwich
Level 4

Postby Broodwich » Wed 15 May, 2019 4:27 pm

what nurland said. That doesn't mean they should be trash, but GK haven't had much thought put into balance changes for a while
Fas est ab hoste doceri
Shroom
Level 2

Postby Shroom » Wed 15 May, 2019 6:07 pm

Broodwich wrote:GK haven't had much thought put into balance changes for a while

thx torpid
Crewfinity
Level 4

Postby Crewfinity » Thu 16 May, 2019 5:19 am

I’m not fully convinced that they were over performing previously - at least in 1v1.

I can definitely understand complaints from 3v3 though - when used en masse teleporting anti-all does seem toxic.

It was way too harsh of a change though, in their current state they just feel useless
PianoMan
Level 3

Postby PianoMan » Thu 16 May, 2019 8:21 am

They were overperforming but gk got baselocked in t1 or t2 so you never saw them in a 1v1

Return to “Balance Discussion”