Santos 2 Model Viewer Not Displaying Models

Modding discussion.
Tarantula Cannon
Level 0

Santos 2 Model Viewer Not Displaying Models

Postby Tarantula Cannon » Thu 24 Jan, 2019 7:21 am

Hello. Apologies that this isn't truly a modding question but my issues seem to lie in the realm of modding.

I want to be able to view DoW 2 models (Retribution and Elite) so that I can ultimately capture different angles and positions and make some PNGs for a tabletop RPG I'm working on.

I have downloaded the latest version of Santos 2. 0.5.0 DEV. I also placed it in the tools folder in Retribution. I extracted the art files, config, and shaders and placed them in the data folder since that seems to be the only place Santos looks for modules. /steam/steamapps/common/Dawn of War 2-Retribution/GameAssets/Data
When I use Santos2 and select a model (ex: GameAssets/Data/MyMod - Race_Marine/troops/space_marine) and load it, nothing shows up. It seems to recognize all the animations and actions it can carry out but there is no model. The closest I've gotten is turning on the skeleton in which case I see a handful of different colored wires making up a minimal frame.

Am I placing folders/files incorrectly? What must I do to properly view these models? From what I understood this was a standalone application if all I wanted to do was view. Do I still need a modeling software?

Thanks.
Impregnable
Level 4

Re: Santos 2 Model Viewer Not Displaying Models

Postby Impregnable » Thu 24 Jan, 2019 7:48 am

You can get some real time answers from our official Discord Channel.
https://discord.gg/s8JRMNG
"Excalibur!"
"Excalibur!"
"From the United Kingdom!"
"I'm looking for heaven!"
"I'm going to California!"
"Excalibur!"
"Excalibur!"
Tarantula Cannon
Level 0

Postby Tarantula Cannon » Thu 24 Jan, 2019 8:11 am

Awesome. Thank you. I'll ask there :)
Tarantula Cannon
Level 0

Postby Tarantula Cannon » Fri 25 Jan, 2019 12:01 am

So I tried moving some files as well as a few other things. No luck still. I did see the Santos 2 log after loading a model. It appears all the textures are failing to load. Ex: [WARNING] Failed to load texture: "art\defaults\defaulttexture" (D3DXERR_INVALIDDATA)

I'm also getting this error.
17:47:05:287: [INFO] Loading colour templates
17:47:05:287: [INFO] cannot open M:/Steam/steamapps/common/Dawn of War 2\GameAssets\Data\config\armypaintercolours.lua: No such file or directory
17:47:05:287: [ERROR] Failed to load colour templates!
17:47:05:287: [INFO] Loading team colour templates
17:47:05:287: [INFO] cannot open M:/Steam/steamapps/common/Dawn of War 2\GameAssets\Data\config\defaultchaptercolours.lua: No such file or directory
17:47:05:287: [ERROR] Failed to load team colour templates!
17:47:05:289: [INFO] Loading commands
17:47:05:289: [INFO] cannot open M:/Steam/steamapps/common/Dawn of War 2\GameAssets\Data/config/commandbpdatabase.lua: No such file or directory
17:47:05:289: [ERROR] Failed to load commands!

I tried creating a folder 'config', placed the lua files inside, and then placed the folder inside the data folder. I got the same error.

I have tried doing this with Dawn of War 2 as well as Retribution. I cannot find the needed lua files in Retribution. But it seems that Retribution has the majority of the model files.

So I'm assuming my primary issue right now is getting Santos to properly recognize the texture files? I'm using Windows 10 with DirectX 12 if that makes a difference.
Tarantula Cannon
Level 0

Postby Tarantula Cannon » Fri 25 Jan, 2019 1:47 am

Update. I uninstalled all DoW 2 games/expansions then reinstalled DoW 2. The config folder with the lua files I made seems to be working now. The Santos log files properly load the colors. I'm still having issues with the default textures loading. The log still says 19:35:38:739: [WARNING] Failed to load texture: "art\defaults\defaulttexture" (D3DXERR_INVALIDDATA)

Since it doesn't say that the directory is invalid I don't believe it is the same issue as the lua files.

As a side note, I'm having trouble finding model files in the original DoW 2 archives. I've found the Librarian and not much else. In Retribution, all the models exist in the analogous location. I intend to view the Elite models but I want to get everything working first...

Return to “Modding”