SM vs Eldar/IG:

Strategy and L2P topics.
TE | NoSkill
Level 3

SM vs Eldar/IG:

Postby TE | NoSkill » Sun 20 May, 2018 2:58 pm

Since I played a few games again, I noticed I suck hard against those 2 factions.
Exspecially winning the first engagements is hard for me.
Eldar banshees are an big problem without shotguns and it seems I'm reliant to them to deal with banshees.
Imperial Guard focuses down my hero (Apo) or scouts and then it s already over.
And then they go for catachans, which is the anathema to my devastators.
Are ASM needed here?
PianoMan
Level 3

Re: SM vs Eldar/IG:

Postby PianoMan » Sun 20 May, 2018 3:21 pm

you need proper scout usage against eldar, scouts are strong as fuck so learn how to use them xd

dont rush in with apo or scouts then, ig has a stronger t1 so you probably wont win it but you shouldn't have any problems in t2 especially if you get an ac dread out
asms can work against ig but i wouldn't get them against commisar or inq
SarDauk
Level 2

Postby SarDauk » Sun 20 May, 2018 7:01 pm

Well got basically the same pb against eldar (except I'm playing FC, so battlecry but no heal), also how do you counter the double rangers play ? It's already not easy for me to deal with DA + banshees, these guys make it practically impossible
"Drive me closer! I want to hit them with my sword!"
TE | NoSkill
Level 3

Postby TE | NoSkill » Mon 21 May, 2018 12:16 am

SarDauk wrote:Well got basically the same pb against eldar (except I'm playing FC, so battlecry but no heal), also how do you counter the double rangers play ? It's already not easy for me to deal with DA + banshees, these guys make it practically impossible

They remove any threat devastators might hold. I'm afraid, going 1-1-1 is needed there :(
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Mon 21 May, 2018 5:25 am

SarDauk wrote:Well got basically the same pb against eldar (except I'm playing FC, so battlecry but no heal), also how do you counter the double rangers play ? It's already not easy for me to deal with DA + banshees, these guys make it practically impossible

Artificers + Halo with ASM's. In T2 get a Razer and put Scouts with Sarge in.
LOCALgHOST
Level 3

Postby LOCALgHOST » Mon 21 May, 2018 9:48 am

Paranoid Kamikaze wrote:

when u get T2 in this build u will face you gens already bashed with falcon.
Antandron
Level 2

Postby Antandron » Mon 21 May, 2018 10:47 am

-
Last edited by Antandron on Thu 02 Dec, 2021 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
PianoMan
Level 3

Postby PianoMan » Mon 21 May, 2018 11:15 am

Paranoid Kamikaze wrote:

and waste 55 power on fc who's going to become totally useless in t2 if not in t1 and razorback is just suicude vs eldar xd
nerfeldarplsplspls
LOCALgHOST
Level 3

Postby LOCALgHOST » Mon 21 May, 2018 12:28 pm

Antandron wrote:
LOCALgHOST wrote:
Paranoid Kamikaze wrote:

when u get T2 in this build u will face you gens already bashed with falcon.

But what about Tac Missile Launcher? It only costs 80/40!

i bet u never get Falcon with missile launcher in that case. U just never reach it
Antandron
Level 2

Postby Antandron » Mon 21 May, 2018 1:07 pm

-
Last edited by Antandron on Thu 02 Dec, 2021 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Antandron
Level 2

Postby Antandron » Mon 21 May, 2018 1:26 pm

-
Last edited by Antandron on Thu 02 Dec, 2021 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nurland

Postby Nurland » Wed 23 May, 2018 5:33 am

Are we talking about 1v1 or what game mode here?
#noobcodex
TE | NoSkill
Level 3

Postby TE | NoSkill » Wed 23 May, 2018 7:30 pm

Nurland wrote:Are we talking about 1v1 or what game mode here?

3v3 in general; does it matter tho, as these are 1v1 situations ?
PianoMan
Level 3

Postby PianoMan » Wed 23 May, 2018 7:35 pm

yes it matters very much, in a 3v3 you go for your dumb builds which would get you baselocked in 1v1 but thanks to your friendly teammate who buys your gens you'll lose your side xdd
if you want to get better play 1v1s, 3v3s are fucking stupid unless you have some people you know to play with
Nurland

Postby Nurland » Thu 24 May, 2018 4:45 pm

Laning against someone in a 3v3 is very different from a real 1v1. The viability of some builds is very different. Also it does make engagement management somewhat different since you have way less space, possible doublings etc.

Anyhow in team games, quick Devs into into ASM or second Tacs is usually the way to go.

You can also open 2 Tacs and then get either Devs or ASM. What you buy is decided by what the enemy has and what hero he/she is playing. ASM are usually pretty bad against Inq for example. LC also does a number on them.

Techmarine needs the least investment to be effective in this MU. You don't need an upgrade in T1 to be effective but you can go either Artificer or MCB or both if need be.

As Apo, you want the bolter after you have your squads up or even before if you have extra power.

As FC you usually go Storm Shieldt + Artificer in T1, Iron Halo, only Artificer or just hang on keeping him vanilla and then get T2 upgrades.
#noobcodex
Thibix Magnus
Level 2

Postby Thibix Magnus » Thu 24 May, 2018 11:38 pm

if I may add, from a mid-level mainly eldar perspective, for what's worth (no, really, don't listen to me):

If you lose the first engagement, well avoid the first engagement 8-) just use the eldar way against them, slowly kite them into your base. They have very poor gen bashing capacity in tier 1, and in team games giving up a bit of field isn't that bad.

delay that first engagement until you get shotguns I think, or otherwise until dev but it's longer. Be super patient. If you choose shotgun first, once you have shotguns but before the shuriken platform you have a decent advantage, avoid DA fire on your scouts, force shees out asap with everything, if banshees are out you can happily force melee with everything on dire avengers, your tacs should melee often early on. Of course from there nothing is determined based on composition, positioning is key in this match up.

I think a key habit to get as SM, which makes them a bit harder to master than I thought, is to play with the timing of your upgrades, as you depend more on them than on specialized units. That first engagement with shotgun should start a bit before you get the upgrade, so you fire it the second you get it.

On T2 I won't comment on the supposed OPness of the falcon :P but a good timing of your lascanon and fusion bomb purchases during an engagement can be nuts. If you somehow win the engagement, maybe with an assist, it's not only an OK retreat for the eldar player, it's a dead falcon. + You can have a lot of fun with veil of time too.

I would add, as an eldar player I tend to struggle against melee dreadnoughts, but maybe it's just me.

Oh and thunder hammer <3

Return to “Strategy Discussion”