Some Tips for OM vs Blobs

Strategy and L2P topics.
EtaCarinae
Level 0

Some Tips for OM vs Blobs

Postby EtaCarinae » Sun 15 Apr, 2018 11:57 am

Hello. Im relatively new to Elite mod , recently ive picked up playing OM , but however after some time playing (bout 5 matches?) , ive run into a problem. im fine when im fighting armies such an IG , But when it comes to more swarmy armies (Tyranids and Orks). I Seem to be in a situation which i just lose the first engagement and then proceed to get swarmed for the next few engagements. Eventually this swings way outta control and i just lose the whole game for my team. Any helpers to counter
Ayy Eye
Level 2

Re: Some Tips for OM vs Blobs

Postby Ayy Eye » Sun 15 Apr, 2018 12:59 pm

OM are kinda meant to be killed by very early melee blobs, just ask for a team member to help you until you can actually handle them in team games, in 1v1s just avoid fighting as much as possible until you can handle them.
She/Her gamergirl
Adeptus Noobus
Level 4

Postby Adeptus Noobus » Sun 15 Apr, 2018 3:13 pm

vs what kind of blobs? Due to an oversight Purgation squads retain splash dmg on their Psycannons. If you want to absolutely delete infantry blobs go for that. If you are a decent human being you can try out the P-Dev variant of the Dreadnought. It has the benefit of having no setup time and being a walker with loads of hp.
Crewfinity
Level 4

Postby Crewfinity » Sun 15 Apr, 2018 8:04 pm

Librarian is also great against blobs. He synergizes offensively with purifiers (shrouding ability and might of titan) and defensively with purgation/ist (smite, sanctuary).
Cyris
Level 4

Postby Cyris » Sun 15 Apr, 2018 9:10 pm

Are we talking 3v3? Tripple IST with GL every game.

Every.

Single.

Game.
Schepp himself
Level 3

Postby Schepp himself » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 6:28 pm

EtaCarinae wrote:Hello. Im relatively new to Elite mod , recently ive picked up playing OM , but however after some time playing (bout 5 matches?) , ive run into a problem. im fine when im fighting armies such an IG , But when it comes to more swarmy armies (Tyranids and Orks). I Seem to be in a situation which i just lose the first engagement and then proceed to get swarmed for the next few engagements. Eventually this swings way outta control and i just lose the whole game for my team. Any helpers to counter

Just a friendly reminder to the Thread-derailing crowd that this was the question the OP asked. Take your quarrel to a private chatroom.

I find it difficult to give broad strategic tips without a replay and in a 2v2 or 3v3 game-mode. If you could provide a replay more experienced players could watch it and give you tips. Sometimes it's a strategy thing but sometimes it's just a tactic thing (losing too many units, losing map-control etc.).

Keep on gaming!

Greets
Schepp himself
Greets schep himself thingy
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 7:45 pm

EtaCarinae wrote:Hello. Im relatively new to Elite mod , recently ive picked up playing OM , but however after some time playing (bout 5 matches?) , ive run into a problem. im fine when im fighting armies such an IG , But when it comes to more swarmy armies (Tyranids and Orks). I Seem to be in a situation which i just lose the first engagement and then proceed to get swarmed for the next few engagements. Eventually this swings way outta control and i just lose the whole game for my team. Any helpers to counter

This is very tough right now for OM yes. I personally like to use a 2 ist - strike - purg composition with the Brother Captain Power Sword and Blessed Aegis combo. I've started to do more ranged Strikes play and it's doing ok, but melee Strikes will probably do better vs a heavy melee composition.

Make sure to keep using Purification on the Brother Captain to power his shield! He'll lose 50 energy after popping the Improved We Are The Hammer, so he could use it. Melee blobs are likely to try and go after the Purgs first to stop the suppression and AoE, so take advantage of that and make sure the Purgs get the WatH effect as well. ISTs can kite at range to help out or go sidecap.

Another thing is you can consider Enfeeble instead of Sword and Shield for Brother Captain and go 2 Purgs instead. That creates 3 different targets that are high priority for melee units to go after, so you can likely keep 1 of them free to help out.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 4:13 am

Atlas' above post is pretty much the meta response. I actually like double strikes vs orks quite a lot, one ranged, one melee. But basically the strike squad are t1 superiority units that beat ranged with psybolts and beat melee with nemesis focus. The only exception to that is banshees.

So, vs banshees always go psybolts. Vs other melee threats nemesis focus is better. Vs 2 shootas and 1 slugga I go 1 nemesis SS and 1 psybolts SS. Vs 3 slugga I'd get 1 nemesis and 1 psybolt but ideally I think 3 IST, 1 nemmy SS is better and then enfeeble on the BC and even vortex if he gets a loota (soft counters the loota for you to shoot it up whilst it is out of cover then you also get lower cd on enfeeble to constantly cripple his melee squads.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!

Return to “Strategy Discussion”