HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

Oddnerd
Level 4

Re: HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

Postby Oddnerd » Sat 10 Feb, 2018 1:40 am

Arbit wrote:Can you cite some instances where this has happened in the past i.e. a sequel goes in a direction the fans don't like, it doesn't sell well, and the developer makes an additional sequel after that that is well loved by the fans? In most instances that I can recall, the franchise gets shitcanned after the poor selling one unless it is part of a series with an extremely long history (like Final Fantasy I think, I'm not a fan but it's my understanding that the games are pretty uneven in quality). Genuinely curious here.

Off the top of my head no - I have played many game series but I never took much of an interest in the economics/politics of the gaming industry until a couple years back.

Also, I don't think anyone was suggesting that you should buy a game you don't like in the hopes that the make a better sequel one day, just that cheering the game's death is stupid because it likely means the franchise is dead.

Sure, but as someone who has been with DOW since the start, I would argue that the series is effectively dead with DOW3 anyway, so you're presenting a false choice. In it's current state, the spirit of DOW is basically dead, even if a new game bearing its name is put out. A low effort attempt to squeeze some bucks out of a franchise name doesn't count as video game "life" for me.

And finally, why would there be "be a 100% chance of Relic continuing to move the series in the bad direction that DOW3 took it"? Relic has built the game from the ground up with each iteration. Why would they suddenly become all conservative and rehash DoW 3 for DoW 4?
....DoW 2 already sent the precedent for big reworks, somewhat different campaigns with each expansion, and weird gameplay-adjacent add-ons like TLS. That all had the potential of happening with DoW 3, so again: crowing about its death is dumb.

I would not compare the transition from DOW1 to DOW2 to the 2-3 transition - not all differences are the same. The COH style of RTS game mechanics had already proven it's value with COH itself. Making a 40K themed version of that game seemed great to me, even before release. In the case of DOW3, I don't view the change in design as being one driven by artistic vision or an understanding of what the DOW core audience wanted. I view it as a cheap attempt to appeal to the audiences of other games and genres, all the while using the DOW name to drag in unsuspecting DOW veterans. I cannot believe that DOW3 was made by someone who understood why the original DOW player base liked the dow games.
Forestradio
Level 5

Postby Forestradio » Sat 10 Feb, 2018 2:55 am

Swiftsabre wrote:I guess Canadians are a little more level headed than their American cousins given that you actually responded to my whole argument
?lol there is no need to write an argument
there is a saying in american sports, "you are what your record says you are" which basically means that at the end of a season there are no excuses, you either made the playoffs or you didn't depending on win/loss, for dow3 dropping all official support after <1 year, getting 0 expansions and barely any new content after release as well as totally lacking in features that have existed since forever in rts games like observer mode is a pretty big string of losses with approximately 0 wins

nothing more needs to be said

Oddnerd
Level 4

Postby Oddnerd » Sat 10 Feb, 2018 4:24 am

Swiftsabre wrote:@Oddnerd

I guess Canadians are a little more level headed than their American cousins given that you actually responded to my whole argument, and I see your point, I just can't see too much hope for DoW IV with Sega at the wheel.

Don't let the stereotypes fool you, most of us are dicks.
Rostam
Level 4

Postby Rostam » Sat 10 Feb, 2018 12:31 pm

I am actually confused idk which one is more devastating and painful! The Death of war hammer Fantasy (awesome universe) or Dow franchise?
and idk which one is the worst pile of garbage! Age of Sigmar (may it rot) or Dow3?
hmmmm
“Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.” Leon Tolstoy
Swift

Postby Swift » Sat 10 Feb, 2018 12:39 pm

I don't know if somehow I've locked myself in my own echo chamber or something, but people seem to think I said DoW III wasn't a failure or wasn't a bad game.

Since it's difficult to read:

DOW III WAS BAD, IT FAILED, IT DIED.
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
Zevargel
Level 2

Postby Zevargel » Sat 10 Feb, 2018 5:43 pm

Swiftsabre wrote:@Zev

I still don't see how they lied given that they didn't make any specific promises.

@Maru

You've missed the point again. I said twice I am not a fan of the game and I am certainly not defending Relic. I don't think defending Relic has anything to do with this tbh given that I'm talking about the community's reaction on this site. Yes, I get it, you're edgy and have to use caps unironically to express your disgust at Sega, it's not anything new to me. Woe is me, woe is me.

@Oddnerd

I guess Canadians are a little more level headed than their American cousins given that you actually responded to my whole argument, and I see your point, I just can't see too much hope for DoW IV with Sega at the wheel.

I will repeat again... After one mounth since release it was 100% understandably that the dow 3 fail for everyone in comunity and for everyone in dev team but they keep saying dow 3 the best rts in 2017 posting fake rewards on main paige to get more sells, instead of apologize and asking comunity if they want cashback or rework all game they keep doing all year after release until 7 feb Swift. I hope now your pink glasses finaly destroyed.
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Sat 10 Feb, 2018 8:28 pm

Zevargel wrote:... I hope now your pink glasses finaly destroyed.

Minor point, but it's rose-colored glasses, not pink glasses :P
Oddnerd
Level 4

Postby Oddnerd » Sun 11 Feb, 2018 3:13 am

ShowMeMagik
Level 2

Postby ShowMeMagik » Sun 11 Feb, 2018 8:45 pm

Swiftsabre wrote:I don't know if somehow I've locked myself in my own echo chamber or something, but people seem to think I said DoW III wasn't a failure or wasn't a bad game.

Since it's difficult to read:

DOW III WAS BAD, IT FAILED, IT DIED.

Omg how can you say it was a good game!!
Lost Son of Nikhel
Contributor

Postby Lost Son of Nikhel » Sun 11 Feb, 2018 11:55 pm

The thing is if it would have been THAT difficult to simply make DOW III like a DOW II or even return to the DOW I but with better graphics and more polished?
"Pater, peccavi in caelum et coram te; iam non sum dignus vocari filius tuus". Dixit autem pater: "manducemus et epulemur, quia hic filius meus mortuus erat et revixit, perierat et inventus est"

There will be no forgiveness for us.
Oddnerd
Level 4

Postby Oddnerd » Mon 12 Feb, 2018 12:34 am

Lost Son of Nikhel wrote:The thing is if it would have been THAT difficult to simply make DOW III like a DOW II or even return to the DOW I but with better graphics and more polished?

I would pay at least 30 dollars for a remaster of DOW1 with better graphics, sounds, and pathing/collision that isn't atrocious.
Broodwich
Level 4

Postby Broodwich » Mon 12 Feb, 2018 12:48 am

This thread is mainly tldr, but to the point of "don't celebrate it failing because then they won't make another" is garbage. Things are made because there is demand for them, or perceived demand for them. Relic wholly fucked up on what they thought people wanted, ignored their own hardcore fanbase, and took a dump on everyone's hopes for DOW3.

If someone is doing a shit job, and everyone is saying hey, maybe you should do something different, and then they say "fuck off," what do you expect to feel?
Fas est ab hoste doceri
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Mon 12 Feb, 2018 6:09 am

DoW 1 players were this bad when DoW 2 launched and are still this bad when it turned out successful. Everyone is like this whenever there's a game they don't personally like and It's just tiring to read. Well, this thread was fun to read in the beginning but turned into too much text later on.
Rostam
Level 4

Postby Rostam » Tue 13 Feb, 2018 6:54 pm

“Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.” Leon Tolstoy
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Tue 13 Feb, 2018 7:25 pm

Don't quite get that video. It's just on some article about it and then plays some random prerelease footage.
Arbit
Level 3

Postby Arbit » Tue 13 Feb, 2018 7:55 pm

Broodwich wrote:This thread is mainly tldr, but to the point of "don't celebrate it failing because then they won't make another" is garbage. Things are made because there is demand for them, or perceived demand for them. Relic wholly fucked up on what they thought people wanted, ignored their own hardcore fanbase, and took a dump on everyone's hopes for DOW3.

If someone is doing a shit job, and everyone is saying hey, maybe you should do something different, and then they say "fuck off," what do you expect to feel?

I'm not saying "don't celebrate it failing because then they won't make another", I'm saying "celebrating it failing is likely celebrating the failure of the whole franchise."

A dev did some Q&A on the Relic forum and he said they brought outside opinions too late to make serious changes to the game. That's a huge fuckup on their part but they didn't just say "lol fuk u" when they saw the initial negative impressions. They even were trying to make a classic mode where elites were purchased through production buildings and whatnot but they couldn't make the programming work.

It's just a big shitty situation all around and being happy about any aspect of it is weird, IMO. That's all I'm saying. If everyone wants to continue posting memes then feel free, IDGAF.
My 1v1 map - Imperial Plaza. Revisions are in progress so please check it out and give feedback!
Arbit
Level 3

Postby Arbit » Tue 13 Feb, 2018 8:04 pm

Lost Son of Nikhel wrote:The thing is if it would have been THAT difficult to simply make DOW III like a DOW II or even return to the DOW I but with better graphics and more polished?

It looks like there is at least some desire for HD remakes but I'm guessing that telling investors "we're going to remake a game and probably sell it to the exact same people that bought the original" does not get them throwing money at the table. For better or worse (probably worse) publishers are looking for the next breakout hit that sells millions.

Everyone says DoW I is awesome and just needs a graphics overhaul and minor tweaks but there is some serious bullshit in that game, primarily the inability to target enemies that have been knocked down. I once juggled a squad of pariahs around with guardsmen grenade launchers for like five minutes before I gave up, it was awesome.
My 1v1 map - Imperial Plaza. Revisions are in progress so please check it out and give feedback!
Ritterina
Level 1

Postby Ritterina » Tue 13 Feb, 2018 8:08 pm

Paranoid Kamikaze wrote:Don't quite get that video. It's just on some article about it and then plays some random prerelease footage.

It's rostam, what did you expect ?
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Tue 13 Feb, 2018 8:08 pm

Now that I've started playing more DoWI, I would say the pathing is the biggest nuisance in the game. I mean, assuming you have the camera mod as well :P

@Ritterina, really dude?
Rostam
Level 4

Postby Rostam » Tue 13 Feb, 2018 8:11 pm

@atlas
oh yea pathing is a big issue
btw u can get the camera mod from here
http://www.moddb.com/games/dawn-of-war- ... od-for-dow
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Tue 13 Feb, 2018 9:21 pm

Rostam wrote:@atlas
oh yea pathing is a big issue
btw u can get the camera mod from here
http://www.moddb.com/games/dawn-of-war- ... od-for-dow

Ty, I have the mod. But on that topic, is there someway to get a grid keys mod as well? The only one I found breaks the camera mod :(
TharxGamma
Level 2

Postby TharxGamma » Tue 13 Feb, 2018 9:27 pm

Sorry to be a complete noob here, how do you mean Atlas? I might know someone who would know
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Wed 14 Feb, 2018 9:07 am

DoW2 was extremely innovative. Taking everything good from COH and just adding more. The only thing that really let it down in terms of design were the maps for teams. Of course balance was shitty, but Elite Mod mostly fixed that. Dow2 was by all accounts a superb game in terms of critical acclaim.

DoW3 was one of the most stupid things I've ever seen. Absolutely trash. Piss it on, cover it in oil, set it alight and never look back. Every possible facet to analyse it from made no sense and was just a horrible idea. I honestly cannot see any merit to it whatsoever.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
Rostam
Level 4

Postby Rostam » Wed 14 Feb, 2018 6:30 pm

Torpid wrote:DoW2 was extremely innovative. Taking everything good from COH and just adding more. The only thing that really let it down in terms of design were the maps for teams. Of course balance was shitty, but Elite Mod mostly fixed that. Dow2 was by all accounts a superb game in terms of critical acclaim.

DoW3 was one of the most stupid things I've ever seen. Absolutely trash. Piss it on, cover it in oil, set it alight and never look back. Every possible facet to analyse it from made no sense and was just a horrible idea. I honestly cannot see any merit to it whatsoever.

Damn straight
very true
Rostam
Level 4

Postby Rostam » Wed 14 Feb, 2018 6:31 pm

I heard that relic is gonna stream on twitch tomorrow
wonder what they are gonna say hmmm
mb we should go there and type "Shame" as freeman suggested in discord
TharxGamma
Level 2

Postby TharxGamma » Wed 14 Feb, 2018 7:15 pm

Rostam wrote:mb we should go there and type "Shame" as freeman suggested in discord

I'm sure you guys could find something better to do with your time
Psycho
Level 3

Postby Psycho » Wed 14 Feb, 2018 7:25 pm

Humor and entertainment is a good way to spend one's free time, what are you talking about?
TharxGamma
Level 2

Postby TharxGamma » Wed 14 Feb, 2018 7:45 pm

I'm chatting shit :( I'm sorry team <3
Rostam
Level 4

Postby Rostam » Wed 14 Feb, 2018 7:51 pm

i am not sure stream is tomorrow though . mb its today
if someone has the link please link it here
Relic shrekt
Ritterina
Level 1

Postby Ritterina » Wed 14 Feb, 2018 8:47 pm

i knew that many of you are brainless idiots but criticizing a game that you didn't even play..... so stupid

Return to “General Discussion”