Worth buying now?

pucenoise
Level 0

Worth buying now?

Postby pucenoise » Thu 31 Aug, 2017 5:10 pm

The general discussion forums at Relic seem like a swamp so I figured I'd come here. I played the beta and thought it had potential, but heard very negative press and opted not to go for it.

Now I've got a 50% coupon and it's received some patches. Is the meta in okay shape? Is 1v1 populated (i.e. can I get a 1v1 in 5-10 minutes tops during regular North American hours?). Is balance reasonable (I'd prefer to play Orks).
Atlas

Re: Worth buying now?

Postby Atlas » Thu 31 Aug, 2017 9:42 pm

I know I'm in the minority with the Elite crowd here who think the game is alright, but it's very solid balance wise atm imo. They JUST released a balance patch like yesterday and the meta is super interesting atm. Don't know exactly where it'll settle, but balance wise DoWIII is in pretty good shape.

Orks were super dominant last patch and they've been toned down. To what extent, we'll see. But they seem ok so far. I was experimenting with Eldar, though I usually play SM, and the new Vypers are pretty sweet.

As for queues, expect to wait something like 10-15 minutes per game for most of the day, more or less added depending on how far from peak you are. Team games tend to be faster to get because more seem to queue for them. Fyi, peak time is ~midday NA afternoon Europe afaik.
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Fri 01 Sep, 2017 2:13 pm

Shroom wrote:no

What a helpful response, maybe explain why you think its not worth getting the game?
"A fortress is built with blood and toil. Only by blood and toil may it be taken." Leman Russ
Oddnerd
Level 4

Postby Oddnerd » Fri 01 Sep, 2017 2:41 pm

Ok Max, fess up, how much are they paying you?
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Fri 01 Sep, 2017 5:27 pm

Oddnerd wrote:Ok Max, fess up, how much are they paying you?

Nobody, apart from DHL, pays me anything, but Pucenoise wanted to know if it's worth getting or not. How does Shrooms "No" help him to form a decision?

That's the thing I don't really care if Shroom thinks the game is not worth getting, but maybe he should explain to Pucenoise why he thinks it's not worth the asking price of 30 Euros (or 30 USD) to help him make an informed decision.
"A fortress is built with blood and toil. Only by blood and toil may it be taken." Leman Russ
Shroom
Level 2

Postby Shroom » Fri 01 Sep, 2017 5:51 pm

MaxPower wrote:
Oddnerd wrote:Ok Max, fess up, how much are they paying you?

Nobody, apart from DHL, pays me anything, but Pucenoise wanted to know if it's worth getting or not. How does Shrooms "No" help him to form a decision?

That's the thing I don't really care if Shroom thinks the game is not worth getting, but maybe he should explain to Pucenoise why he thinks it's not worth the asking price of 30 Euros (or 30 USD) to help him make an informed decision.

what are you getting so worked up about now. he asked a simple question, i gave him a simple answer. oddnerd is just trolling you.

guess now that ive started ill go into detail i suppose.
1. it is a relic game: there will be no balance, and the meta will revolve around cheesing the most ridiculous units/doctrines/abilities.
2. the game isnt dead, despite what other people will have you believe. a simple visit to steamcharts: http://steamcharts.com/app/285190 would show you this, finding a game is more than feasible.
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Fri 01 Sep, 2017 6:46 pm

Put that Steam chart into a months view from 7 days. It was sitting at 500 highs and 100 lows before the 50% coupon giveout. It peaked to a high of 1,500 from that and it's already down to 900 from just 1-2 weeks. Most of the people from that sale will be playing single player before leaving with some staying in multi. The playerbase has constantly been going down and only large updates have given it a temporary rise(before going down again). The last update didn't actually even change the numbers at all. After the large numbers at the start go down a good game slowly goes up again and a bad game slowly goes down. DoW 3 has been going down.

The single player is essentially a story being played as a multiplayer tutorial. There is no replayability or the RPG feel of DoW 2.

The multiplayer is mainly about skill management and timing for how you spam them. There really aren't any great strategies or anything for you to discover and it doesn't really allow for finding new build orders. The thing that I find annoying the most about it though is that AoE attacks have to be dodged before they happen instead of by reaction like in DoW 2. It becomes a guessing game and isn't a skill based way of doing it. Also, sending your units in multiple locations doesn't work that well as there's low vision and when a melee unit gets to you there's a passive slow effect which allows for more units to get to you and you're dead.

I've played 100 hours of DoW 3 as it's the latest DoW and I kept on trying to convince myself to try and like it since it had more players at launch. The playerbase is around DoW 2 levels now though and I would rather play DoW 2 than 3. I've already uninstalled the game and have no intention of reinstalling until they change it to be more skill based.

If you think at 50% off it's worth it for you to try out go ahead. I just don't recommend it myself the way it is right now. The guy in charge just got fired so maybe they put someone who knows what he's doing in his place.

I may come off as being extremely negative here, but it's for a reason: I waited 8 years for a sequel to a game I love and it completely bombed.
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Fri 01 Sep, 2017 9:30 pm

Shroom wrote: guess now that ive started ill go into detail i suppose.
1. it is a relic game: there will be no balance, and the meta will revolve around cheesing the most ridiculous units/doctrines/abilities.
2. the game isnt dead, despite what other people will have you believe. a simple visit to steamcharts: http://steamcharts.com/app/285190 would show you this, finding a game is more than feasible.

Much better, maybe I was getting worked up because your first answer didn't have any valuable informations for Pucenoise to work with. Nothing more, nothing less.

All is good. :)

Paranoid Kamikaze wrote:The guy in charge just got fired so maybe they put someone who knows what he's doing in his place.

Didn't he leave of his own accord? Do you might have a link so I can read up on that, where it says the he got offed?
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Sat 02 Sep, 2017 1:06 am

MaxPower wrote:
Shroom wrote: guess now that ive started ill go into detail i suppose.

Much better, maybe I was getting worked up because your first answer didn't have any valuable informations for Pucenoise to work with. Nothing more, nothing less.

All is good. :)

Paranoid Kamikaze wrote:The guy in charge just got fired so maybe they put someone who knows what he's doing in his place.

Didn't he leave of his own accord? Do you might have a link so I can read up on that, where it says the he got offed?

It doesn't say he got fired. Just says 'heading off to a new adventure'. He might be leaving of his own accord or he might have been forced to leave. No idea. A lot of people are glad he's gone though.
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Sat 02 Sep, 2017 12:05 pm

Paranoid Kamikaze wrote: It doesn't say he got fired. Just says 'heading off to a new adventure'. He might be leaving of his own accord or he might have been forced to leave. No idea. A lot of people are glad he's gone though.

Tbf I'm one of them, just because he always seemed like a tool who doesn't know anything about 40k or that its a scifi setting hence they could do backflipping terminators. He always had this smug aura about him I really didn't like at all.
Ar-Aamon
Level 3

Postby Ar-Aamon » Sat 02 Sep, 2017 2:08 pm

Wait what? They guy who ruined my favourite game franchise got fired? I'm glad this idiot got what he deserved. Philippe Boulle the Matt Ward of PC gaming. :x
Gorbles
Level 3

Postby Gorbles » Sat 02 Sep, 2017 5:08 pm

I remember when people said that about Ebbert when he left after DoW II shipped.

The more things change, the more they stay the same :)
Psycho
Level 3

Postby Psycho » Sat 02 Sep, 2017 5:14 pm

Gorbles arriving in time to comment about it is the last thing I need to fully know Phil Bollocks fucking off is a great thing.
pucenoise
Level 0

Postby pucenoise » Sat 02 Sep, 2017 6:32 pm

Thanks for the responses guys, this is really sad.

RTS has been a wasteland for a while unless you're a fan of SC:BW or SC2 (which I am, but I also want some diversity). Personally I liked the fact that Relic was increasing the scale and experimenting with the formula. It's a really pity that their incoherent business model/design choices cocked it up. I was really looking forward to it but very hesitant post-beta.

We have what... one major RTS to look forward to, AoE4? For me the ranking was always Blizzard RTS, Relic RTS, and EA/Ensemble RTS equal in the last spot, and with Relic's track record on CoH2 and DoW3 it's hard to imagine AoE4 being anything other than an F2P MOBA where Napoleon breathes fire and wears Terminator armor while doing backflips :/
Gorbles
Level 3

Postby Gorbles » Sat 02 Sep, 2017 9:35 pm

Psycho wrote:Gorbles arriving in time to comment about it is the last thing I need to fully know Phil Bollocks fucking off is a great thing.

You seem unhealthily obsessed with my posting habits :)
Oddnerd
Level 4

Postby Oddnerd » Sun 03 Sep, 2017 12:24 am

If you want a serious RTS experience play SC:remastered. Otherwise yes, the genre is dead. I tried playing some WC3 and it is 90% noobs and griefers and more noobs at this point.
Last edited by Oddnerd on Wed 04 Oct, 2017 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ar-Aamon
Level 3

Postby Ar-Aamon » Sun 03 Sep, 2017 11:51 am

Gorbles wrote:I remember when people said that about Ebbert when he left after DoW II shipped.

The more you post, the less I take you seriously. :)
Major Richard Sharpe
Level 1

Postby Major Richard Sharpe » Mon 25 Sep, 2017 10:14 am

I got a physical copy at a bargain bin for 60% off. It was borderline mediocre (4.2 out of 10). I've got no intention of playing the campaign again or getting into the multiplayer. I recommend you wait for a even bigger sale than the mere 50% they usually offer. I should've waited for a 66% or 75% off minimum first.
Major Richard Sharpe
Level 1

Postby Major Richard Sharpe » Mon 25 Sep, 2017 10:15 am

Ar-Aamon wrote:
Gorbles wrote:I remember when people said that about Ebbert when he left after DoW II shipped.

The more you post, the less I take you seriously. :)

:twisted: :D :) :lol:
Swift

Postby Swift » Sun 01 Oct, 2017 11:34 pm

How is DoW III atm. I haven't played since... err........
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Mon 02 Oct, 2017 4:19 am

There was an update to take away the skull requirements for elites.

Playerbase has been continually dropping. Is now at 400 consecutive player highs. Goes down every week and the last update didn't even bump it up a little.

No community of any kind has latched on and there are no events/tournaments anymore(or ever really were)
Reineke
Level 1

Postby Reineke » Mon 02 Oct, 2017 9:10 am

You can find players with a little patience but... that's it. The game seems to have the same amount of players as DoW II (retribution and Elite), but if you seek tournament, replays, recent videos on youtube... well I wish you good luck.
Swift

Postby Swift » Mon 02 Oct, 2017 11:35 am

Wow...

I'm no gaming industry expert but that doesn't bode well.
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Mon 02 Oct, 2017 11:36 am

Reineke wrote:You can find players with a little patience but... that's it. The game seems to have the same amount of players as DoW II (retribution and Elite), but if you seek tournament, replays, recent videos on youtube... well I wish you good luck.

Last time I checked dow 2 (all expansions combined) had more concurrent players compared to dow 3. Meaning you still can find a game but it'll prolly take some time.
Shroom
Level 2

Postby Shroom » Tue 03 Oct, 2017 1:38 am

MaxPower wrote:Last time I checked dow 2 (all expansions combined) had more concurrent players compared to dow 3. Meaning you still can find a game but it'll prolly take some time.

probably faster in dow3 than dow2. there are still a lot of people playing last stand in retribution even now, dividing the player base. in dow3 i cant imagine there being a single person playing campaign.
Oddnerd
Level 4

Postby Oddnerd » Wed 04 Oct, 2017 3:05 am

New eSports sensation 8-)
Dullahan
Level 2

Postby Dullahan » Mon 08 Jan, 2018 7:53 pm

MaxPower wrote:
Reineke wrote:You can find players with a little patience but... that's it. The game seems to have the same amount of players as DoW II (retribution and Elite), but if you seek tournament, replays, recent videos on youtube... well I wish you good luck.

Last time I checked dow 2 (all expansions combined) had more concurrent players compared to dow 3. Meaning you still can find a game but it'll prolly take some time.

Worth noting that DoW2 is split between Campaign, TLS and regular multiplayer. Playerbase may look larger, but I suspect the vast majority of people in DoW3 are playing multiplayer these days while there's likely people doing co-op campaign and TLS in DoW2.

DoW3 campaign wasn't bad, just very traditional RTS campaign. I thoroughly enjoyed playing it.
techsoldaten
Level 0

Postby techsoldaten » Thu 08 Feb, 2018 7:05 pm

Anyone trying to play DOWIII on anything other than a PC ran into a lot of issues. My MacBook Pro had terrible graphics and never topped 20 FPS.

I don't think they thought this part through very well.
Dullahan
Level 2

Postby Dullahan » Mon 12 Mar, 2018 3:45 pm

techsoldaten wrote:Anyone trying to play DOWIII on anything other than a PC ran into a lot of issues. My MacBook Pro had terrible graphics and never topped 20 FPS.

I don't think they thought this part through very well.

The Mac port was apparently farmed out. Not sure if it's hardware limitations or if the game will run like ass even with good hardware on Linux or higher end Mac desktops.

Return to “General Discussion”