Drain Life dmg reduction while lifted up

Issues dealing with gameplay balance.
Adeptus Noobus
Level 4

Drain Life dmg reduction while lifted up

Postby Adeptus Noobus » Mon 07 Aug, 2017 8:55 am

To make it short and simple: I propose that Drain Life be treated like Gravity Blades. The dmg from the Chaos Lord himself should remain untouched but Drain Life should trigger damage resistance while the target is lifted up.
Torpid

Re: Drain Life dmg reduction while lifted up

Postby Torpid » Mon 07 Aug, 2017 9:54 am

Can we get some replays where it has done a tonne of work please?

Still yet to see it myself.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
Adeptus Noobus
Level 4

Postby Adeptus Noobus » Mon 07 Aug, 2017 10:24 am

Play more CL then and try it out for yourself. It is a death sentence to every Eldar Squad leader seriously screws die-last-units and there is no justification for no dmg resistance if you follow the logic of grav blades.

As for replays, I have none but let Nurland tell you the fun engagements we had where he caught at least one Exarch each time.
egewithin
Level 5

Postby egewithin » Mon 07 Aug, 2017 11:20 am

As someone who sniped heroes with drain life + focus fire / melee a few times, I agree. Drain life should be giving a damage resistance while being lifted up.
brutalisto
Level 1

Postby brutalisto » Mon 07 Aug, 2017 4:26 pm

Armor of the inferno already gutted. If you do that with mantle of hate you better delete chaos lord from the game. Chaos lord and chaos in general have very low winrate (and win to loss ratio). Orks and eldar have the highest. Not to mention that FS lifts up entire squads while drain life affects only a single model and it is designed to counter librarian, weirdboy and autarch and even with it it is hard to kill subcommanders. Also chaos lord is stationary and cannot retreat while draining life and can die very easily to fully upgraded ranged units and even if he is at half health while the animation is over he still gets shot at and easily forced off
egewithin
Level 5

Postby egewithin » Mon 07 Aug, 2017 5:09 pm

brutalisto wrote: Chaos lord and chaos in general have very low winrate (and win to loss ratio). Orks and eldar have the highest.

That's because low skilled players prefers to play Chaos, SM, IG; while high level players prefers to play Eldar, Orks and Nids. And there is GK, only Rostam plays it.
boss
Level 3

Postby boss » Mon 07 Aug, 2017 5:35 pm

Drain life is fine it has a very short range, even a flesh hook has more range and a pull to kill leaders.

Grave blade is diffent cos it an aoe lift not just one guy drain life is fine
Forums great more stuff to talk about.
Adeptus Noobus
Level 4

Postby Adeptus Noobus » Mon 07 Aug, 2017 6:38 pm

I completely understand you boss, but keep in mind that it's instant and you can not retreat from it. You also take full dmg from ranged and melee attacks. It also deals initial dmg. Put on a hero that has quite the hp pool to work with and a chaos army to back him up, it is quite nasty. At least ranged damage reduction would be fair. Since melee dmg requires units to get close first it's fine since you can focus them.
I mean people are raging about the WL halfing Tic hp and the cl gets to snipe unit leaders, heros and subcommanders for free.
Broodwich
Level 4

Postby Broodwich » Tue 08 Aug, 2017 4:08 am

for free huh?
Fas est ab hoste doceri
PaperBaG
Level 2

Postby PaperBaG » Tue 08 Aug, 2017 10:26 am

It's pretty silly, Sorry the damage it does on top of just holding a hero or autarch/libby etc. so letters can wreck it....if the chaos lord could be suppressed, KB or didn't have a ton of HP it wouldn't be as cheesy since so many players just move in CL in np. I'm talking more from a 1v1 perspective of balance than team games because there is usually a lot of things going on in team games that can force the CL off before he can really make good use of it, but in 1v1 a sub-commander snipe in t2 before you get much use out of him/her can be super deadly, this one piece of wargear irks me so much i'm honestly thinking of not playing against CL in 1v1.

It's not that it does crazy damage or super long cast range etc. just the game mechanics of melee being able to get free hits, bloodletters with high dps in for valuable seconds of time is so devastating and this is the only ability that u can't retreat out of danger from. Sure there's flesh hook but a lot of heros/sub-heros have kb/blob escape abilities to safely retreat from, when grabbed by drain life your just helplessly in mid air without no way out while taking damage from the ability itself, also flesh hook doesn't do anywhere close to the same amount of damage.
Shroom
Level 2

Postby Shroom » Tue 08 Aug, 2017 10:57 am

how about u fgts dont touch muh drain life
Shroom
Level 2

Postby Shroom » Tue 08 Aug, 2017 10:58 am

PaperBaG wrote:also flesh hook doesn't do anywhere close to the same amount of damage.
depends what you mean by that. fleshhook does more damage on the ability, in terms of damage taken from other units while being hooked/drained it varies from situation to situation. drain life does 100 piercing damage, fleshhook does 115 sniper damage, and scales with level.
Adeptus Noobus
Level 4

Postby Adeptus Noobus » Tue 08 Aug, 2017 11:09 am

Shroom wrote:
PaperBaG wrote:also flesh hook doesn't do anywhere close to the same amount of damage.
depends what you mean by that. fleshhook does more damage on the ability, in terms of damage taken from other units while being hooked/drained it varies from situation to situation. drain life does 100 piercing damage, fleshhook does 115 sniper damage, and scales with level.

It does not immobilize you and deny you the option to retreat though. Grav Blades and Anti-Grav Nades both lift you up and deny you the option to retreat yet they both cause the unit(s) to take less dmg as well. It only makes sense.
Shroom
Level 2

Postby Shroom » Tue 08 Aug, 2017 11:15 am

Adeptus Noobus wrote:
Shroom wrote:

It does not immobilize you and deny you the option to retreat though. Grav Blades and Anti-Grav Nades both lift you up and deny you the option to retreat yet they both cause the unit(s) to take less dmg as well. It only makes sense.

no it only pulls you back a shit ton and leaves you on your ass for hormagaunts to devour, unless you retreat before you get pulled.

gravity blades lifts in an aoe and with ability knockback, and does 37.5 power melee damage to each model, which can add up to a lot depending on how many you get with it. give drain life ability knockback for compensation for damage resistance on pulled model and maybe that'd be a fair trade :)
Last edited by Shroom on Tue 08 Aug, 2017 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adeptus Noobus
Level 4

Postby Adeptus Noobus » Tue 08 Aug, 2017 11:18 am

Shroom wrote:
Adeptus Noobus wrote:
Shroom wrote: depends what you mean by that. fleshhook does more damage on the ability, in terms of damage taken from other units while being hooked/drained it varies from situation to situation. drain life does 100 piercing damage, fleshhook does 115 sniper damage, and scales with level.

no it only pulls you back a shit ton and leaves you on your ass for hormagaunts to devour, unless you retreat before you get pulled.

gravity blades lifts in an aoe and with ability knockback. give drain life ability knockback for compensation for damage resistance on pulled model and maybe thatd be a fair trade :)

only if we equalize the hp pool as well :-) cl can use drain life while being on the offensive. never seen a fs survive going for an offensive usage of levitation ;-)
Shroom
Level 2

Postby Shroom » Tue 08 Aug, 2017 11:19 am

Adeptus Noobus wrote:
Shroom wrote:
Adeptus Noobus wrote:It does not immobilize you and deny you the option to retreat though. Grav Blades and Anti-Grav Nades both lift you up and deny you the option to retreat yet they both cause the unit(s) to take less dmg as well. It only makes sense.

gravity blades lifts in an aoe and with ability knockback. give drain life ability knockback for compensation for damage resistance on pulled model and maybe thatd be a fair trade :)

only if we equalize the hp pool as well :-) cl can use drain life while being on the offensive. never seen a fs survive going for an offensive usage of levitation ;-)

probably because it isnt an offensive wargear, but a defensive one
Adeptus Noobus
Level 4

Postby Adeptus Noobus » Tue 08 Aug, 2017 11:29 am

Your argument is not even addressing the issue here btw.
Shroom
Level 2

Postby Shroom » Tue 08 Aug, 2017 11:31 am

Adeptus Noobus wrote:Your argument is not even addressing the issue here btw.

im addressing the fact that you're comparing gravity blades and drain life, which are two hugely different wargears with different roles, and asking that damage resitance that gravity blades gives should be applied in kind to drain life kek
crog
Level 2

Postby crog » Tue 08 Aug, 2017 11:31 am

Adeptus Noobus wrote:To make it short and simple: I propose that Drain Life be treated like Gravity Blades. The dmg from the Chaos Lord himself should remain untouched but Drain Life should trigger damage resistance while the target is lifted up.

I totally agree with this one.

Otherwise it would make sense that units which get lifted get A.) dmg resistence or B.) NO dmg resistence at all for all abilities.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Tue 08 Aug, 2017 11:44 am

Flesh hook is in all ways superior to drain life. That shouldn't even be a debate. Perhaps this thursday or friday some generous CLs would like to play vs me in 1v1?

I'll even play techmarine so you can snipe my libby and TM all games long.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
Adeptus Noobus
Level 4

Postby Adeptus Noobus » Tue 08 Aug, 2017 11:47 am

Shroom wrote:
Adeptus Noobus wrote:Your argument is not even addressing the issue here btw.

im addressing the fact that you're comparing gravity blades and drain life, which are two hugely different wargears with different roles, and asking that damage resitance that gravity blades gives should be applied in kind to drain life kek

The mechanic remains the same nonetheless. It makes absolutely no sense you would not implement it for Drain Life as well. I am discussing this with Torpid as well and his was the only sound argument I heard which was: kite the CL. This is possible to an extent only. First of all the combi-bolter is preventing you from kiting the CL without taking above decent dmg. He has ways to close the gap (Blindness, Jump Troops, Blastmaster) and the hp to survive focus fire. Let us also not forget that Drain Life replenishes his hp. The only race i could see pull this kiting game off would be Eldar and to some extent IG (why would you get DL vs IG anyway).

@Torpid: Play Apo as well :-)
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Tue 08 Aug, 2017 2:13 pm

I miss Caeltos :(
egewithin
Level 5

Postby egewithin » Tue 08 Aug, 2017 2:14 pm

Dark Riku wrote:I miss Caeltos :(

I don't. He was doing unnecessery changes without saying with every patch. At least we can question the changes or ask for new one and discuss them here.
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Tue 08 Aug, 2017 2:31 pm

Yeah, discuss them and then Torpid does whatever the fuck he wants anyway even though most others say no.
Good times :)
Oddnerd
Level 4

Postby Oddnerd » Tue 08 Aug, 2017 3:16 pm

Yes I miss the game being balanced by acceleration and rotation changes.
Shroom
Level 2

Postby Shroom » Tue 08 Aug, 2017 3:31 pm

egewithin wrote:

He was doing unnecessery changes

terminator force commander cost reduction says hi
PaperBaG
Level 2

Postby PaperBaG » Tue 08 Aug, 2017 8:15 pm

Shroom wrote:
Adeptus Noobus wrote:
Shroom wrote: depends what you mean by that. fleshhook does more damage on the ability, in terms of damage taken from other units while being hooked/drained it varies from situation to situation. drain life does 100 piercing damage, fleshhook does 115 sniper damage, and scales with level.

gravity blades lifts in an aoe and with ability knockback, and does 37.5 power melee damage to each model, which can add up to a lot depending on how many you get with it. give drain life ability knockback for compensation for damage resistance on pulled model and maybe that'd be a fair trade :)

Bloodletters do much more dps, Horms also often path block each other when attacking single models
egewithin
Level 5

Postby egewithin » Tue 08 Aug, 2017 8:24 pm

Shroom wrote:
egewithin wrote:

He was doing unnecessery changes

Retail Termie armor is 150 / 75, Elite Termie armor is 150 / 80. Ignorant.
PianoMan
Level 3

Postby PianoMan » Tue 08 Aug, 2017 9:12 pm

egewithin wrote:
Shroom wrote:
egewithin wrote:He was doing unnecessery changes

It's going to be 50 power next patch. Ignorant.
Shroom
Level 2

Postby Shroom » Tue 08 Aug, 2017 9:13 pm

egewithin wrote:
Shroom wrote:
egewithin wrote:He was doing unnecessery changes

looks like somebody is too lazy to read the full patch notes, mong

Return to “Balance Discussion”