Steam Reviews are less than stellar

Andy Garcia
Level 1

Steam Reviews are less than stellar

Postby Andy Garcia » Thu 27 Apr, 2017 7:33 pm

Ive been browsing and browsing reviews, from the moment of Indrids Impressions and how it juxtaposes hard with the "Professional reviews" I´ve made my job to find why are reviews so torn.

From what Ive gathered so far the game is just not cathering to the old guard in many levels and ultimately I feel I fall in that category as well. Been watching games here and there and I too am baffled at the overperformance of Elites, and Ive just recently learned that Caeltos has no plans of modding DoW III.

I am buying the game due to loyalty to Relic but I know its a weak argument, but would like to hear what is the Elites community take on the release of DOW III.
DandyFrontline
Level 3

Re: Steam Reviews are less than stellar

Postby DandyFrontline » Thu 27 Apr, 2017 8:06 pm

Loyalty to Relic? Pfff.. I played Relic games since Homeworld. Like all their games. And believe me - Relic has died with THQ.

Honestly, DoW3 is a piece of shit made by totally unprofessional people. It wasnt made by Relic you knew
DandyFrontline
Level 3

Postby DandyFrontline » Thu 27 Apr, 2017 8:10 pm

Loyalty to Relic? Pfff.. I played Relic games since Homeworld. Like, all their games. And believe me - Relic has died with THQ.

Honestly, DoW3 is a piece of shit made by totally unprofessional people. It wasnt made by Relic you knew
Swift

Postby Swift » Thu 27 Apr, 2017 8:13 pm

DandyFrontline wrote:Honestly, DoW3 is a piece of shit made by totally unprofessional people. It wasnt made by Relic you knew

Actually, it was.
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
Psycho
Level 3

Postby Psycho » Thu 27 Apr, 2017 8:20 pm

Different demographic. Simple as that.
DandyFrontline
Level 3

Postby DandyFrontline » Thu 27 Apr, 2017 8:20 pm

Swiftsabre wrote:
DandyFrontline wrote:Honestly, DoW3 is a piece of shit made by totally unprofessional people. It wasnt made by Relic you knew

Actually, it was.

You gonna tell me DoW3 was made by the same people, same team, who did DoW2?
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Thu 27 Apr, 2017 8:41 pm

Are you really that shocked that the Elite community, probably the most diehard DoWII fans, don't like a game that is very different from DoWII?
Ace of Swords
Level 5

Postby Ace of Swords » Thu 27 Apr, 2017 8:57 pm

Atlas wrote:Are you really that shocked that the Elite community, probably the most diehard DoWII fans, don't like a game that is very different from DoWII?

Does this look like a dow2 player?

Oh and just for clarity, I picked the first 1, I didn't need to dig or nitpick anything.

Swiftsabre wrote:

Actually, it was.

I asked gorb once and he doesn't have a complementary list of devs that worked for relic through the years, their roles and on what they worked on but if you do feel free to post it I'm very interested in it.
DandyFrontline
Level 3

Postby DandyFrontline » Thu 27 Apr, 2017 9:02 pm

Atlas wrote:Are you really that shocked that the Elite community, probably the most diehard DoWII fans, don't like a game that is very different from DoWII?

No1 dislikes it because its "different". DoW3 is being disliked because of obvious game problems
Gorbles
Level 3

Postby Gorbles » Thu 27 Apr, 2017 9:14 pm

Stating things as "obvious game problems" without actually bothering to debate them, despite being incredibly pointless, isn't exactly giving great feedback for anyone reading these boards, no?

And Ace, it seems to me that while that reviewer obviously played vDoW, he, uh, didn't play the original vDoW. He's criticising a campaign structure the original game and WA both followed precisely. Still, that's a decent review in terms of the time invested. How about you pick some of the "0.4 hours" played ones ;)

Nobody has a definitive list of who worked on what product (though you can compare credits in a lot of cases). But certainly, throwing around phrases like "this game wasn't made by Relic X years ago" is patently untrue. There are plenty of veteran Relic developers, some stretching back as far as Homeworld, still working at Relic to this very day.

The game's SP is really reminding me of the vanilla vDoW SP. Slow accumulation of forces, introduction to skills, linear maps with some scripted events along the way.
Psycho
Level 3

Postby Psycho » Thu 27 Apr, 2017 9:43 pm

Gorbles wrote:Stating things as "obvious game problems" without actually bothering to debate them, despite being incredibly pointless, isn't exactly giving great feedback for anyone reading these boards, no?

Implying people who are able to do something with the feedback read/care about it
Andy Garcia
Level 1

Postby Andy Garcia » Fri 28 Apr, 2017 12:56 am

Gorbles wrote:Stating things as "obvious game problems" without actually bothering to debate them, despite being incredibly pointless, isn't exactly giving great feedback for anyone reading these boards, no?

And Ace, it seems to me that while that reviewer obviously played vDoW, he, uh, didn't play the original vDoW. He's criticising a campaign structure the original game and WA both followed precisely. Still, that's a decent review in terms of the time invested. How about you pick some of the "0.4 hours" played ones ;)

My thoughts exactly, plenty of .40 hours played and theyre giving us a lecture on how wrong the game is.

Now im not defending a game I have yet to play, but I am hoping for honest criticism other than what was already said on Indrids Impression video, or perhaps adding more to what already was said.

For instance, a game I had yesterday vs some EL guys, there was a debate on Relics approach to balance, and how theyre likely to keep updating and improving the game while adding races and more content. That is the sort of thing that could salvage what appears to be a game unappealing to us at the moment.
Carnevour
Level 2

Postby Carnevour » Fri 28 Apr, 2017 1:29 am

Psycho wrote:

Implying people who are able to do something with the feedback read/care about it

Implying you arent talking out of your arse.
Imperator1
Level 2

Postby Imperator1 » Fri 28 Apr, 2017 1:42 am

It does not have anything to do with Dow2, save its basic upgrade system.

It seems more like Dow1 with better graphics and with its upgrade system removed and replaced by the Dow2 version, which was always that game's weak point.

Lascannons have turned into multilasers and lasguns into blasters from star wars.

Orks are goofy and fun, but that's orks for you. Voice acting is also subpar compared to either previous games. Even Diomedes is no longer hammy.
Carnevour
Level 2

Postby Carnevour » Fri 28 Apr, 2017 1:57 am

Is anyone seriously surprised about the biased review of some disgruntled fanboys propped by some run of the mill youtuber? The current trend of the internet is to be the edgy all knowing ''sceptic'', yet they can never give a valid explanation on why its faulty except muh moba or muh feeling, which is quite hilarious.

The other problem is that people fantasised too much about DoW3 being this super duper game where you can do anything and everything you want while being technically superior in graphics and gameplay to DoW2 with massive battles of DoW1. So what do we have is a bunch of screeching man children hyping themselves in their head about their perfect game (which they wont even think about how could it be possibly implemented), yet when they get something different from the thing that they imagined for quite a long of time they become extremely salty and can only vent it in the same childish matter. Leaving bad reviews, constantly creating fake drama about how the game is bad because of their hurt feelings, while claiming to be fans of the dawn of war series lmao. Its not even that the hypocrisy is something that is new, but such blind hatred and an actual effort to smear the game is quite amazing while claiming to occupy a moral high ground.

In the end time will tell who was right and who is wrong but it just shows the kind of autism that the current internet user possess.
Psycho
Level 3

Postby Psycho » Fri 28 Apr, 2017 2:16 am

Carnevour wrote:etc

Carnevour
Level 2

Postby Carnevour » Fri 28 Apr, 2017 2:21 am

Psycho wrote:

Dam son you trolled me.
UlyssesASL
Level 0

Postby UlyssesASL » Fri 28 Apr, 2017 4:58 am

I remember some people said dow3 is some what similar to SC, and today I just had the thought: Shouldn't it be that dow3 is more similar to Warcraft3?

All the hero+minions, with hard-to-dodge abilities (maybe not really in case of dow3, so far I do find many skills seem to have somewhat telepathic warnings); heroes can be powerful and sometime can wipe normal minions... No level-up-your-hero it seems, and no equipment for your hero unit, so even this comparison isn't really a good one.

Also about the weapon effect. I'm not sure if even GW has a solid idea of how some of the weapon works & looks like. Just think about different interpretations of melta, or sometime even the beam's color of flas...lasgun.
Oddnerd
Level 4

Postby Oddnerd » Fri 28 Apr, 2017 5:02 am

Like I said before, the only vote you have as a customer is with your wallet - if you pay a bunch of money for a shit product, you are telling the company that they should keep on doing what they are doing (in this case, having unpaid interns make a game).

I'll be waiting for the $5 steam sale. Shouldn't be long.
Aguxyz
Level 3

Postby Aguxyz » Fri 28 Apr, 2017 6:28 am

Carnevour wrote:
Psycho wrote:

Dam son you trolled me.

nah you just got fucked git gud
"Does the Seer see its own doom!?" -Tau commander
2torpid4u: You still haven't sucked my big pink nipples Agu :(
Shroom
Level 2

Postby Shroom » Fri 28 Apr, 2017 7:00 am

Aguxyz wrote: git gud

sounds like a grudge match Image
Shroom
Level 2

Postby Shroom » Fri 28 Apr, 2017 9:37 am

If you haven't you should go watch/play the DOW3 campaign. My mind was blown for a little while at how absolutely terrible it was from the first 4 hours I saw.

-The story is told through the use of animated comic strips, rather than animations or cutscenes.
-When characters are having a dialogue after the mission some still images cycle in the background while you listen to their voices (voices still sound like utter garbage, even more noticeable in the campaign.) There are no accompanying "detailed" facial animations like there were in DOW2.
-The campaign is completely linear, and consists of you roflmaoing the ai through a series of corridors, listening to terribly written and terribly voice acted dialogues to click next mission, to start the cycle all over again.
-As a reward for your hard work you're rewarded with upgrades for your hero and "skulls" which are used to unlock doctrines and elites. The elites are 100% identical to the ones available in multiplayer and from what I've seen so are the doctrines.
-There is no customization of anything besides your elite/doctrine load out.

Basically the campaign is fuckin identical to fighting vs the ai in a multiplayer lobby. The only difference is that it's juxtaposed by tedious progression and shitty animated comic strips and shitty voice acting. There are no unique mechanics in the campaign, there are no unique units, no unique abilities, no special missions, no optional missions (though there are optional objectives within the missions,) no nothing, just a trashy copy/paste of multiplayer battles vs the ai.

Compared to DOW2 and Chaos Rising, honestly even Retribution's campaign feels like its brimming with content, DOW3's campaign is bare bones garbage. What was Relic's budget for this game? Was it about 50% of what it was for DOW2? That might explain why the single player is so lacking in features compared to the previous games. Or maybe they spent all of the money on the way too over the top animations that don't fit inside the 40k universe at all like backflipping terminator Angelos (that for whatever reason is practically as tall as a dreadnaught, I guess Relic took the creative license to make him a primarch rather than a space marine.)
Adeptus Noobus
Level 4

Postby Adeptus Noobus » Fri 28 Apr, 2017 10:46 am

Carnevour wrote:Is anyone seriously surprised about the biased review of some disgruntled fanboys propped by some run of the mill youtuber? The current trend of the internet is to be the edgy all knowing ''sceptic'', yet they can never give a valid explanation on why its faulty except muh moba or muh feeling, which is quite hilarious.

The other problem is that people fantasised too much about DoW3 being this super duper game where you can do anything and everything you want while being technically superior in graphics and gameplay to DoW2 with massive battles of DoW1. So what do we have is a bunch of screeching man children hyping themselves in their head about their perfect game (which they wont even think about how could it be possibly implemented), yet when they get something different from the thing that they imagined for quite a long of time they become extremely salty and can only vent it in the same childish matter. Leaving bad reviews, constantly creating fake drama about how the game is bad because of their hurt feelings, while claiming to be fans of the dawn of war series lmao. Its not even that the hypocrisy is something that is new, but such blind hatred and an actual effort to smear the game is quite amazing while claiming to occupy a moral high ground.

In the end time will tell who was right and who is wrong but it just shows the kind of autism that the current internet user possess.

I actually took it upon me to read through this entire comment and have not found a single argument based on facts whatsoever. It is just your personal oppinion that everybody MUST absolutely like this game. If for some reason a person finds this game lacking he is a man-childish screeching fanboy. Somehow you also managed to dismiss bad reviews on the sole basis of them just voicing their hurt feelings and implied they are not real fans of the dawn of war series, when in reality many people made the effort to write comprehensible and fact-based reviews on why they find DoW3 to be worse than the previous titles. The question is: can we have a discourse where criticism is heard and allowed to exist or must we all bow down to your beyond-reproach oppinion aka the-one-and-only-truth and shut up?

I hope you are seeing the irony of your post which is in line with the post-factual oppinion-only-oriented BS we see everywhere nowadays.
Gorbles
Level 3

Postby Gorbles » Fri 28 Apr, 2017 11:03 am

@Shroom

Did you ever play Dawn of War? As in, the original? Or Winter Assault?

It's interesting for me to see the split between <people who have played since the original vDoW>, <people who came onboard with Dark Crusade or Soulstorm>, and <people who got into DoW II>. A lot of different opinions on what makes a "proper" Dawn of War game, which is only natural because these three phases came with very different game content.

Psycho wrote:

I am absolutely implying that :)
Carnevour
Level 2

Postby Carnevour » Fri 28 Apr, 2017 1:42 pm

I understand that you guys need your circlejerk hugbox forum here but sometimes you need someone to ruin the party :^)
Odysseus
Level 2

Postby Odysseus » Fri 28 Apr, 2017 2:28 pm

Might anyone have an idea as to when we could expect some kind of sales figures?
Cheekie Monkie
Level 3

Postby Cheekie Monkie » Fri 28 Apr, 2017 2:44 pm

My initial impressions are that it's not quite a MOBA,it's not quite DOW and it's not quite Starcraft. Oddly and surprisingly enjoyable? So far.

I remember playing DOW II multiplayer for the first time and I thought, "Well what the fuck is this shit?" before ending up spending literally thousands of hours in it.

I suspect DOW III will be also be an acquired taste for many, including the initial naysayers (myself included) depending on how people adapt to its new kooky shenanigans as well as how Relic treats further development and how they provide support for the game.

I already miss the memorable voice acting, the immersive animations and the overall 'oomph' of the weapons though.
Playing truth or dare with Diomedes: You dare? YOU DARE?!
Tinder with Diomedes: THINK YOU ARE MY MATCH?!
Guilliman
Level 1

Postby Guilliman » Fri 28 Apr, 2017 2:50 pm

I just played the tutorial and some of the campaign. I am a total DOW 2 Elite fan (not that good compared to our peeps here) but I like the game. There is no question as I was playing yesterday I kept comparing this to DOW2. As people have pointed out there is no doubt DOW3 is for a different crowd. I remember trying get my SC friends to play DOW2 and they just couldn't get the mechanics down with unit preservation, leader-centric stuff, etc. I do get it, I love the DOW mechanics with cover, unit preservation, etc (I know not perfect) but it is not for everyone.

Anyways I appreciate there is a DOW3, as a die-hard fan many of the games like space hulk, gothic etc have been so so. If DOW3 gets more people playing I am all for it! I will still play DOW2 Elite and watch the Indrid's utubes on DOW2 but I hope there will be a DOW4! While I am still amazed how the DOW2 graphics still look beautiful even today with unit details (watching the casts on a big 4k screen is always great) DOW3 is not bad either...just different...sort of too flashy for me. I am all for multi-tasking but man as I was watching the 2 v 2 DOW 3 cast with Indrid et al I had a hard time following all the explosions and stuff.
Shroom
Level 2

Postby Shroom » Fri 28 Apr, 2017 3:23 pm

Carnevour wrote:Is anyone seriously surprised about the biased review of some disgruntled fanboys propped by some run of the mill youtuber? The current trend of the internet is to be the edgy all knowing ''sceptic'', yet they can never give a valid explanation on why its faulty except muh moba or muh feeling, which is quite hilarious.

It's interesting how you imply all of the hate DOW3 gets is from a "run of the mill youtuber." I'm guessing you mean ArchWarhammer, it's unplausable how he alone could influence all of the negativity this game is getting. How about when TotalBiscuit makes his video about the game (he lifted his ban on Sega if you're aware of such things and he has already stated that he isn't enjoying it,) will he just be another "run of the mill" youtuber being contrarian for the sake of being contrarian?

Carnevour wrote:I understand that you guys need your circlejerk hugbox forum here but sometimes you need someone to ruin the party :^)

How about you take your "edgy" and "biased" and completely unbased in any reality on this forum opinion and shove it somewhere far away. Seems kinda silly how you complain that people don't base their opinions on facts and yet here you go doing the same thing, not addressing any criticisms in this thread and saying they are wrong because they are wrong. Fuck off carnecuck.
Last edited by Shroom on Fri 28 Apr, 2017 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shroom
Level 2

Postby Shroom » Fri 28 Apr, 2017 3:25 pm

Gorbles wrote:@Shroom

Did you ever play Dawn of War? As in, the original? Or Winter Assault?

)

I have yes, played all of the DOW games. While I find DOW 3's multiplayer to be passable even fun at times the campaign is just complete, pure heresy for the reasons aforementioned above.

Return to “General Discussion”