Chaos lord bugs out Senti

Issues dealing with gameplay balance.
newtonia
Level 1

Chaos lord bugs out Senti

Postby newtonia » Tue 26 Jul, 2016 7:35 pm

Had an experience with a chaos lord that deliberately used the senti bugging out and brought the senti to his team, it was kinda dumb that once a chaoslord comes close to a senti, the only way for the senti to not bug out is to have stomp, without it, the chaos lord can continually manipulate its movement by moving in a single direction. I dunno, kinda dumb, it's like a snare that can kill a 400 rec 15 power unit.
Toilailee
Champion

Re: Chaos lord bugs out Senti

Postby Toilailee » Tue 26 Jul, 2016 8:02 pm

Yup, chaos lord and hive tyrant can totally pathfuck your sent due to higher movement priority or something and it's really frustrating if someone deliberately tries to "abuse" it to kill your sent. Vehicles can do the same later in game the game but usually you only have to look out for your own chimeras to not get them and/or sent stuck under fire. Only way around it is kinda be aware of it and play around it. :/
Swift I: You're not a nerd, you're just a very gifted social spastic
egewithin
Level 5

Postby egewithin » Tue 26 Jul, 2016 8:10 pm

I remember someone melees with all scouts, tacs, hero and shit to circle around a Sentinal and kill it in melee; no chance of moving.

DoW2 has a big issue with vehicle pathing.
Adeptus Noobus
Level 4

Postby Adeptus Noobus » Tue 26 Jul, 2016 8:14 pm

firatwithin wrote:I remember someone melees with all scouts, tacs, hero and shit to circle around a Sentinal and kill it in melee; no chance of moving.

DoW2 has a big issue with vehicle pathing.

That is actually a very well known tactic to kill stuff in RTS'.
newtonia
Level 1

Postby newtonia » Tue 26 Jul, 2016 8:14 pm

Toilailee wrote:Yup, chaos lord and hive tyrant can totally pathfuck your sent due to higher movement priority or something and it's really frustrating if someone deliberately tries to "abuse" it to kill your sent. Vehicles can do the same later in game the game but usually you only have to look out for your own chimeras to not get them and/or sent stuck under fire. Only way around it is kinda be aware of it and play around it. :/

Is there no way to fix it, also there's a problem with GM Sargents, they run past their squad and often finds themselves all the way into the other team... This makes it really really dangerous to stay in the fight since if you let your gm health's down enough a retreat would just be them standing around waiting for the sarge to come to them.
Oddnerd
Level 4

Postby Oddnerd » Tue 26 Jul, 2016 8:15 pm

There are lots of ways to exploit the horrendous DOWII vehicle pathing. I've had meks teleport directly behind my sentinel, causing it to spin around on the spot like a moron. I've had a hormagaunt squad completely surround it and render it immobile.

If I didn't have to get a sentinel I never would.

newtonia wrote:Is there no way to fix it, also there's a problem with GM Sargents, they run past their squad and often finds themselves all the way into the other team... This makes it really really dangerous to stay in the fight since if you let your gm health's down enough a retreat would just be them standing around waiting for the sarge to come to them.

The problem is these things can't be fixed by changing a few numbers in the unit stats, they are a problem with the basic coding of the game and not something a mod team could easily fix. Its not like there is a variable called "retarded_vehicle_pathing" that can be set from 1 to 0.
Ace of Swords
Level 5

Postby Ace of Swords » Tue 26 Jul, 2016 8:31 pm

Oddnerd wrote:
The problem is these things can't be fixed by changing a few numbers in the unit stats, they are a problem with the basic coding of the game and not something a mod team could easily fix. Its not like there is a variable called "retarded_vehicle_pathing" that can be set from 1 to 0.

It's a feature™
Toilailee
Champion

Postby Toilailee » Tue 26 Jul, 2016 11:02 pm

newtonia wrote:also there's a problem with GM Sargents, they run past their squad and often finds themselves all the way into the other team... This makes it really really dangerous to stay in the fight since if you let your gm health's down enough a retreat would just be them standing around waiting for the sarge to come to them.

That's because the sarge can't repair. When you first order them to move and then repair the repair order overwrites the move order for the squad but not for the sarge so he keeps on running. Hit stop (S is default shortcut) for the squad when you're at repair range before you start repairing to stop that. It's a good habit to learn anyway since during a fight it will make the gm turn and auto attack something, and then after that when you order them to repair something that is already at range only 1 model will turn around to repair and others will keep shooting.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Wed 27 Jul, 2016 12:42 am

Ace of Swords wrote:It's a feature™

Is that sarcasm Ace?

honestly, whether it is or not I pretty much agree with that lol.

It's how the game works and it's a part of it. Don't want the slow-ass BC or CL to path-block your sent? Well get gud and move your sent away from them before it gets close... It's not like the sent is particularly vulnerable to rogue CLs running up behind it and blocking it... A CL shouldn't really get that close anyway.

I always liked abilities like stomp and seismic roar pathblocking on retreat too. I thought they added a nice skill element to the game like retreat nades. I'd have rather nerfed the cost of such wargears and kept that feature than the lazy workaround that is making retreating units just travel through other units.

Also if a tic/horm squad surrounds your sent and you don't have stomp... Ofc you deserve it to be lost. That's why stomp exists and it is why the sent is so quick!
Last edited by Torpid on Wed 27 Jul, 2016 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Wed 27 Jul, 2016 12:55 am

Toilailee wrote:
newtonia wrote:also there's a problem with GM Sargents, they run past their squad and often finds themselves all the way into the other team... This makes it really really dangerous to stay in the fight since if you let your gm health's down enough a retreat would just be them standing around waiting for the sarge to come to them.

That's because the sarge can't repair. When you first order them to move and then repair the repair order overwrites the move order for the squad but not for the sarge so he keeps on running. Hit stop (S is default shortcut) for the squad when you're at repair range before you start repairing to stop that. It's a good habit to learn anyway since during a fight it will make the gm turn and auto attack something, and then after that when you order them to repair something that is already at range only 1 model will turn around to repair and others will keep shooting.

Or maybe a simpler solution is to just make the gm sarg able to repair?
Oddnerd
Level 4

Postby Oddnerd » Wed 27 Jul, 2016 12:57 am

Atlas wrote:
Toilailee wrote:

Or maybe a simpler solution is to just make the gm sarg able to repair?

I brought this up in a thread a long time back and Windu pointed out that GM sarge does have repair, the issue is with the game engine.
hiveminion
Level 3

Postby hiveminion » Wed 27 Jul, 2016 7:32 am

Torpid wrote:It's how the game works and it's a part of it. Don't want the slow-ass BC or CL to path-block your sent? Well get gud and move your sent away from them before it gets close... It's not like the sent is particularly vulnerable to rogue CLs running up behind it and blocking it... A CL shouldn't really get that close anyway.

I always liked abilities like stomp and seismic roar pathblocking on retreat too. I thought they added a nice skill element to the game like retreat nades. I'd have rather nerfed the cost of such wargears and kept that feature than the lazy workaround that is making retreating units just travel through other units.

Also if a tic/horm squad surrounds your sent and you don't have stomp... Ofc you deserve it to be lost. That's why stomp exists and it is why the sent is so quick!

This. Sentinels are ridiculously difficult to kill if handled properly. I often feel IG players can get a bit complacent because of this and leave their Sentinel exposed thinking double GM repair will see it through. Then some melee stuff gets too close, the engagement turns bad, and suddenly the Sentinel can't escape through a crowd of critters or bit fat-ass commander. I don't really think that's abuse of pathblock mechanics, just an abuse of an opponent's mistake.
egewithin
Level 5

Postby egewithin » Wed 27 Jul, 2016 7:43 am

And there are players who goes for 2 or 3 sentinals.

Just reminding.
Toilailee
Champion

Postby Toilailee » Wed 27 Jul, 2016 9:35 am

Oddnerd wrote:I brought this up in a thread a long time back and Windu pointed out that GM sarge does have repair, the issue is with the game engine.

Shows you what I know. :P

Return to “Balance Discussion”