Warhammer30k speculations-Fleets of the great crusade and the amount of worlds conquered by them

This forum will probably suffice for this category.
Rostam
Level 4

Warhammer30k speculations-Fleets of the great crusade and the amount of worlds conquered by them

Postby Rostam » Thu 26 Oct, 2017 1:42 pm

"Warhammer30k speculations-Fleets of the great crusade and the amount of worlds conquered by them"

Hey fellas
I recently did some research on the topic which was mentioned above. Wondering about the size of the Imperium of man in the 31st millennia and the amount of worlds it conquered,but more importantly at what pace they could do it.

We all know more or less that the great crusade was an event which happened in the 30st millennia,In which the Imperium of man conquered about 2 million worlds in the span of approximately 200 years. Hence regaining most of the lost colonies of mankind after 5000 years of stagnation,starvation,civil,petrifaction,etc (The Age of Strife). Due to the warp storms in the galaxy most of these worlds were unable to send any vessel to roam the galaxy so many of these worlds were reverted to a stone age level of society.
After the warp storms disappeared the Emperor of mankind led his 20 legions of space marines and his numerous imperial army cohorts along with his ships to roam and conquer the galaxy.

At the end of the great crusade there existed about 4200 expeditionary fleets,ranging from only a few ships per a fleet to dozens of ships per a fleet
There were also billions of imperial army troopers and about 2,000,000 space marines Legioners among 18 legions (For clarity reasons in my calculation I will consider the number of legions at 20). In addition to that of course there were about 60,000 fleets but these were mostly for colonization and did not act as spear tip war hosts mostly,so we will tend to the 4200 ships which are the speartip of the Imperium
Now these number could have been increased or decreased during these 200 years of the great crusade but I will just consider these numbers as the average numbers for each year of the crusade.

THE QUESTION IS THIS : How can 4200 fleets (consisting of tens of thousands of ships) conquer 2,000,000 worlds in 200 years?
From after the unification wars till the conquer of Ullanor

This is how i speculate the calculation :
Lets consider that each Primarch would more or less order 9 other fleets other than his own personal fleet. That would be 20 Primarchs each ordering around 10 Fleets,either directly or by auxiliary lieutenants; Hence Primarchs control 200 fleets (20*10=200)
And Imperial Army commander controlling the remaining 4000 fleets
So we divide the world conquered to worlds conquered by: Space Marine Legions (SML) with 200 fleets as specialized spear tip; and Imperial Army Cohorts (IAC) with 4000 fleets conquering the rest. Now lets start our calculation

SML(Space Marines Legions - 200 Fleets):
Each fleet (either under direct control from a Primarch or other Astartes high ranking officers) consists of more or less a dozen ships. Fleet commander (Being a Primarch or a space marine) can send these various ships to conquer various worlds in skirmishes in a system that contains a dozen worlds for example. Lets consider that each fleet conquered 10 worlds a year with 200 years on exploration among 200 fleets

(10 Worlds)*(200 Fleets)=2,000 worlds per a year by astartes legions
(2000 worlds)*(200 Years)=400,000 worlds during the entire crusade
So Space Marine Legions conquered 400,000 worlds

IAC(Imperial Army Cohorts - 4000 Fleets):
Again each fleet consists of more or less a dozen ships under the command of Imperial Army Commanders. Their army is consist of normal soldiers and trooper which are slower in their pace of conquering worlds than Space Marines. Now some of these fleets might be fortunate enough to be gifted with a small contingent of space marines but this is rare so we assume that most of these fleets had Imperial Army troopers for conquering a planet which slows down the process of conquering a world (Bringing compliance to the world in Imperial terms)
Lets consider that each fleet conquered 2 worlds a year (One Fifth of what legions did) with 200 years on exploration among 4000 fleets

(2 Worlds)*(4000 Fleets)=8,000 worlds per a year by army cohorts
(8000 worlds)*(200 Years)=1,600,000 worlds during the entire crusade
So Imperial Army Cohorts conquered 1,600,000 worlds

400,000+1,600,000=2,000,000 worlds conquered by the Imperium in 31st millennia
I also should note that some of the worlds willingly or diplomatically joined the Imperium without any military confrontation but the majority of the worlds fought against the Imperial rule more or less to a degree varying from total annihilation to fast surrenders

In the end I wanna say it is just my speculation and the info I got and research I did was based mostly on these 3 major sources:
Lexicanum,WarhammerWiki,Horus Heresy Novels. With a few searches on various weblogs on google,I will link them below

So if you ask me,this might be how the emperor conquered 2 million worlds in 200 years with 4200 Fleets.
I should note that currently in 40k there is around 1 million worlds indicating the high casualty rate of the Imperium during these 10 millennias

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page
http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_40k_Wiki
“Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.” Leon Tolstoy
Indrid

Re: Warhammer30k speculations-Fleets of the great crusade and the amount of worlds conquered by them

Postby Indrid » Thu 26 Oct, 2017 5:18 pm

Topic moved. Please don't post lore topics in Elite General.
Rostam
Level 4

Re: Warhammer30k speculations-Fleets of the great crusade and the amount of worlds conquered by them

Postby Rostam » Thu 26 Oct, 2017 7:58 pm

Indrid wrote:Topic moved. Please don't post lore topics in Elite General.

oh did i make it in "general" Category! I thought it would be moved to its category automatically
Lazy mods shame on u guys :P

anyway thanks for moving it to "Random stuff" category, I will try to remember that whenever i make a new thread
Last edited by Rostam on Fri 27 Oct, 2017 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.” Leon Tolstoy
Schepp himself
Level 3

Postby Schepp himself » Fri 27 Oct, 2017 2:48 pm

Thanks for clearing that up, Rostam. Interesting read!

Greets
Schepp himself
Greets schep himself thingy

Return to “Random Stuff”