Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition

This forum will probably suffice for this category.
Swift

Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition

Postby Swift » Sat 22 Apr, 2017 7:35 pm

So for those who pay a modicum of attention to tabletop, 8th edition is hitting pretty much exactly when everyone expected it to... with a lot of changes.

Artwork depicts a dark coloured Space Marine chapter and Death Guard, who will be getting some new models/featured in the boxed game:

From the way it's going, it looks to be a lot like Age of Sigmar is - simplified rules, plays very differently, and advanced timeline. Have a feeling Slaanesh won't be featuring much anymore, and I reckon will probably be killed altogether. Below is an FAQ about the whole thing:

https://warhammer40000.gw-hub.com/wp-co ... 0K-FAQ.pdf

An AOS similarity is the way they're going with factions, putting them all into one of three categories: Chaos, Imeprium and Xenos.

https://warhammer40000.com/home/news/

So you can expect to see a huge batch of new rules in PDF files in a few months, all your codices will be invalidated and the way it plays will change completely. GW claim this is going to be good, but I'm not at all a fan of the way they handled Age of Sigmar, so let's see where this goes.
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
Oddnerd
Level 4

Re: Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition

Postby Oddnerd » Sat 22 Apr, 2017 11:31 pm

Have you dumbed down 40K?

Not at all. We’ve made it easier for new people to enter and get to grips with the basics.

Yep, they are dumbing it down.

They are at liberty to do what they wish with their IP, but making a product accessible and streamlined doesn't seem like a good way to build up a base of committed players who will stick with your product for a long time - it appeals to the casuals who play it for a while and then drop it for another game somewhere down the line. I remember when they made the transition from Rogue Trader and 2nd Edition into 3rd... a lot of their long-time players felt very betrayed. This could end up being a repeat of that incident. If how they handled AOS is any indication, I don't have high hopes.

EDIT - Whenever a company talks about feedback from community interaction, I tend to assume that they are listening to all the people with short attention spans who try a new game, don't get the instant gratification of steamrolling opponents without practice, and then complain that the game needs to be changed to better fit their needs (the need to win with little effort or learning process). Maybe this is me being extremely cynical, but this wouldn't be the first time that "community feedback" was used as a weasel word for "complaints from casuals".

Return to “Random Stuff”