Voice Commands

This forum will probably suffice for this category.
ZaellixA
Level 0

Voice Commands

Postby ZaellixA » Tue 31 May, 2016 12:33 am

Dear all,

I am quite new to the game. I do know the basics about it but not an expert at all...

I am a slow learner and in my first (and only) games I encountered some difficulties commanding my army, if it was consisted from more than a couple of units :D.

So I looked for an alternative way to command it. I encountered in the past a software called glovePIE that makes use of Windows' Speech Recognition system to control your PC. So I wrote a small script with voice commands that map to some keys. In that way I am controlling my army with my microphone.

At the moment the script is only for Space Marines, 'cause I only play Space Marines so far :|. If there is anyone interested to give it a try, either for fun or to do some testing, please let me know and I can "guide you through" the process to get started really fast.

All the best.

P.S.: It's not extensively tested but so far it worked close to perfect for me :).
Atlas

Re: Voice Commands

Postby Atlas » Tue 31 May, 2016 4:52 am

I would actually be super interested to try this out. I'll get back to you soon about it!
ZaellixA
Level 0

Postby ZaellixA » Tue 31 May, 2016 9:19 am

That's great,

Actually the very first step to start with is to download glovePIE. I downloaded it from here and it works perferct.

http://glovepie.software.informer.com/download/

I have also attached it here (.rar format), along with the script I made (included in the .rar file) to play the game. So if you decide to download the attached file you are actually good to go. Otherwise, if you download it from the link, let me know and I will send you my script to have it as a starting point.

The next step is to train your computer to understand your voice. You can do that from the Control Panel -> Ease of Access -> Speech Recognition -> Train Your Computer (or something like that). First though make sure you have set your microphone up correctly. This training part is quite stupid but for me it DID make a huge difference on my computer's ability to understand my commands (even more because I am not a native English speaker).

The next step is to run glovePIE, load the "DawnOfWar2SpaceMarinesMultiPlayer.pie" file which is placed in the "Voice Scripts" Folder, hit "Run" and then run Dawn of War to start playing.

The good thing is that it is quite easy and straight forward to change the vocal commands that correspond to the letters. So, you can actually check the script, check the commands and keep those you want and delete the rest, which will actually help you computer make less mistakes in the recognition process. For example there is a "Strike" command (for the Merciless Strike) which actually could call command "Time" (for the Veil of Time) if not pronounced well. But if you delete for example "Strike" you will have to call the command "Merciless Strike", which is extremely difficult to be confused with either "Time" or even "Veil of Time" (keep in mind thought, that for me it works absolutely great without having to delete any command from the script). Also, you can alter the commands to be closer to your personal taste. For example you can say "Who's your daddy" and actually call the Orbital Bombardment :D.

Let me know if you had any luck or you need any more info/help.

All the best,

Z.
Attachments
GlovePIE045.rar
GlovePIE with Script
(1.95 MiB) Downloaded 125 times
Swift

Postby Swift » Tue 31 May, 2016 2:11 pm

Really interesting, and would love to see a demonstration of it.
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
ZaellixA
Level 0

Postby ZaellixA » Tue 31 May, 2016 2:21 pm

Sure, it sounds (and to me it actually is) quite cool.

I believe the best way to see a demo of it is to actually use it. In case you don't feel like "diving" into it right away I guess I could make a video to demonstrate some of the commands I use.

If you want any more info, help or to meet online to "guide" you through the process please don't hesitate to ask.

Also, I understand that there is a lot of people that enjoy playing with other factions. So if someone could send me the shortcuts and the preferred voice commands for other races I could write some scripts to give you so you can try it with your favorite race and your personal voice commands. Still there is the Speech Recognition training process you have to go through yourself (it really improves the results of the speech recognition algorithm).

So again, if there is anything else I can do to help please don't hesitate to ask me.

All the best,

Z.
egewithin
Level 5

Postby egewithin » Tue 31 May, 2016 4:50 pm

I can't wait to report bugs about this future. :twisted:
ZaellixA
Level 0

Postby ZaellixA » Sun 05 Jun, 2016 1:34 am

Hello all,

I am sorry I 've been absent for a while but I've been quite busy. I was wondering if anyone tried the software with the script. If anyone gave it a try I would love to get some feedback.

I hope I'll find some time to make a demo video to show you the way I use it.

All the best,

Z.

Return to “Random Stuff”