Starcraft 2 campaign worth it?

This forum will probably suffice for this category.
KanKrusha
Level 3

Starcraft 2 campaign worth it?

Postby KanKrusha » Mon 28 Sep, 2015 1:29 am

Hi Guys

Starcraft 2 is on special this week due to pre-release of their next expansion. I am just wondering about buying it for the campaign. I have never played Starcraft (1 or 2) because i prefer squad based to unit based games.

How good is the campaign? Is it worth $9.99 times two?

Edit - oops, by worth it I also include the time spent downloading and time away from DOW2
Last edited by KanKrusha on Mon 28 Sep, 2015 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atlas

Re: Starcraft 2 campaign worth it?

Postby Atlas » Mon 28 Sep, 2015 1:40 am

Honestly, yeah. I have both WoL and HotS and the campaigns were pretty good. LotV is shaping up to be pretty awesome as well. I'll spare you all the parts about how different DOw2 and SC2 are :P

But SC2 as a game is just fine.
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Mon 28 Sep, 2015 2:19 pm

You should play it, if:

- you want to play a very classical RTS kind of game
- big budget AAA RTS with lots of cool cutscenes
- you thought that a sci-fi story would be better if it was basically a soap opera in space

You should stay away from that game, if:

- you want a good story and not a sci-fi soap opera
- the classical RTS formula is something you dont like (base building, rushes...yada, yada)
- you always thought that StarCraft was not grim dark enough
"A fortress is built with blood and toil. Only by blood and toil may it be taken." Leman Russ
PhatE
Level 3

Postby PhatE » Mon 28 Sep, 2015 3:03 pm

I find that the campaigns can be quite fun but the multiplayer is a really good recipe for depression. If anything I want to see how it ends! So far it's kept me interested enough.

I'll be getting it purely for the single player. If they had decided to make it anything like Warcraft III or Frozen Throne until recently I would have loved it where they had custom maps like footman frenzy or the dragon ball z adventure maps. Now Dota 2 does it all the better and that's free.
Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/phatness_

Since everyone forgets, my timezone is AEST (UTC/GMT) +10 hours. AEDT is (UTC/GMT) +11 hours. Hopefully no-one tells me what time any tournament is on.
Wise Windu

Postby Wise Windu » Mon 28 Sep, 2015 3:25 pm

I actually found that the multiplayer helped me deal with my depression...until the high levels. I got to Rank 1 Master League, and then when I was good enough, I started to recognize all of the things that were frustrating, repetitive, and not enjoyable because the skill gaps become much less defined. It becomes more about very minor differences in play. Up until that point, though, it felt good improving and figuring out what I could do better.

The single player is usually good, though. It does a good job of changing up what you need to accomplish or adapt to in a fun way.
Codex

Postby Codex » Mon 28 Sep, 2015 5:10 pm

You guys are all banned for talking about the game which shall not be named.

Plus you all named it. Several times.
Righteousness does not make right
egewithin
Level 5

Postby egewithin » Mon 28 Sep, 2015 6:39 pm

My friend told me it was fun today. I trust him so you should too.
KanKrusha
Level 3

Postby KanKrusha » Mon 28 Sep, 2015 9:24 pm

Errkk, missed the sale. One of the disadvantages of being in a time zone 14 hours ahead of everyone else is you think week long sales are just starting when they are actually just finishing.

Thanks for the advice guys, i will pick up the game that shall not be named next time it is on sale.
BioTaq
Level 1

Postby BioTaq » Wed 30 Sep, 2015 3:27 am

Since I'm half korean, it's in my genetic code to praise starcraft whenever I can.

But in honesty, yes. I bought Wings of Liberty, full price, and put countless hours into the campaign alone. I played through normal for the story, hard for the achievements, and brutal which I haven't beaten... Not only that, you also have the challenge missions that are a lot of fun as well. You also don't have to play competetive SCII either. You can join custom games where people have basically made entire new games using the starcraft engine from third person shooters, to MOBA games. So if you can get it for only 10 dollars then I'm genetically required to assassinate you if you fail to purchase it.

Return to “Random Stuff”