New Dark Eldar Codex

This forum will probably suffice for this category.
ChrisNihilus
Level 3

New Dark Eldar Codex

Postby ChrisNihilus » Sat 27 Sep, 2014 8:00 am

As many suspected, the Dark Eldar Codex is next.
The news for the new Dark Eldar Codex came out this morning.

I'm pretty exited.

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-EU/Cod ... 14-English
"This quiet... offends... SLAANESH!"
Swift

Re: New Dark Eldar Codex

Postby Swift » Sun 28 Sep, 2014 9:12 am

I am not. First off they are dumbing down the character selection, only three special characters because they couldn't be arsed to make the rest, including Vect, he is gone too. I hate this about GW because they are now releasing shitty updates that add nothing and take characters away from the back bencher factions. Now only Urien, Drazhar and Lelith remain.
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
Barrogh
Level 3

Postby Barrogh » Sun 28 Sep, 2014 10:58 am

Vect is out? Not even as LoW?
Wow.
When in mortal danger, when beset by doubt
Run in little circles, wave your hands and shout
Superhooper01
Level 3

Postby Superhooper01 » Sun 28 Sep, 2014 4:09 pm

i loved the last one was such a good codex looking forward to this 1. When i 1st heard about the dark eldar and saw them on SS figured they were a butch of chaos wannabees but after reading a book or 2 and the codex they are a force to be feared and wield great power plus the whole immortal and soul feeding makes them even more crazy. NO VECT WTF was looking forward to some new info but IL have to wait lol
There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting gods."
Swift

Postby Swift » Sun 28 Sep, 2014 10:11 pm

It is so stupid. I have seen some changelogs and apart from the hero changes (GW you !@£$""***^!?!!$%*) it looks quite promising, their builds are becoming more type specific. One change I dislike are webway portals mean Archon and unit do not scatter. Good, but not the same as WEBWAY IN BASE MUTHAFUCKER.

(The !@£$""***^!?!!$%* is an Asterix reference. It means lots of expletives).
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
ChrisNihilus
Level 3

Postby ChrisNihilus » Mon 29 Sep, 2014 8:05 am

I must say that i don't like characters.
This game is supposed to be about our army, with our characters and our story.
Characters from codex are usually there just to escalate the game and exploit some rule.

I truly interested in the background of other people armies, and when the answer is "no, this isn't mine, this is from the codex" get kind of annoying.

With people fielding a standard Commander with an unique story and personality are become rarer, i'm glad they had began to cut pre-made Characters out.
Barrogh
Level 3

Postby Barrogh » Thu 02 Oct, 2014 10:26 am

ChrisNihilus wrote:I must say that i don't like characters.
This game is supposed to be about our army, with our characters and our story.
Characters from codex are usually there just to escalate the game and exploit some rule.

I truly interested in the background of other people armies, and when the answer is "no, this isn't mine, this is from the codex" get kind of annoying.

With people fielding a standard Commander with an unique story and personality are become rarer, i'm glad they had began to cut pre-made Characters out.

Really though, no-name characters are equally standardized when it comes to gameplay (oh hello to you, nameless "state standard Iron Hands biker chapter master", no story, no personality, just 4 ablative wounds with angry power fist), and if people don't want to put any thought into fluff behind their army, they won't no matter if their models are called with proper names or not in the codexes.

Nobody stops you from creating your-dudes kind of army using named characters by designing them differently and giving them different names really. In this sense, your Wolf lord Alfhild, the Skjald of Hotur (counts as Wolf lord with such and such gear) is little different from somebody else's scout sergeant 'Uncle Hare' Basilius (counts as Tellion). After all, the 40k galaxy is huge, filled with stuff to a brim and the story about it covers more than 10k years, if you can think of somebody or something, it is probably there somewhere, lost in time and space, but may very well be "found" by you, and it's not like we are told in no uncertain words that neither in its past nor in the future Imperium has had / will have space marine psykers as powerful as Varro Tigurius (and if someone objects, introduce someone like Sevrin Loth to him), or some military leader that distrusts frontal assaults as much as Lias Issodon does.
I mean, it's still your own mini with your own fluff that use some ruleset from 40k book in the end. Just make sure said fluff doesn't step on any toes (and with universe this large, how it's even a problem?), and you're good to go.

The real reason people don't make their own stuff is because they CBA to, let's be honest here. With such an attitude around, you can remove named characters all you want, vanilla ones people will use won't gain names and background. People who want to go creative, will do so regardless.

And on GW axing special characters, I believe it's just a mycetic spore treatment: if we can't profit off our rules, nobody will, just so that nobody gets any ideas... Or maybe they just don't care to commit resources to something like that basically for free when they can just sell dataslates with additional rules for them in the future.
Regardless of reason behind it, community surely doesn't gain anything from it.

Inb4 Barrogh is SM fanboi; well, duh.
Swift

Postby Swift » Thu 02 Oct, 2014 5:32 pm

Yeah, GW are really being dicks about cracking down. I agree with Chris, I can make up so much tory by myself, but it is stupid to axe the characters anyway.
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Fri 03 Oct, 2014 8:49 am

it's so they can get more money with "supplements". Their "strategy" is so short-sighted, they might get a little bit more now, but non of the veterans keep buying their shitty product. They are destroying their community, it's sad :(
Barrogh
Level 3

Postby Barrogh » Fri 03 Oct, 2014 9:40 am

Dark Riku wrote:it's so they can get more money with "supplements". Their "strategy" is so short-sighted, they might get a little bit more now, but non of the veterans keep buying their shitty product. They are destroying their community, it's sad :(

If they ever get to releasing supplements with those characters, that's it.

Right now I feel that current CEO couldn't care less about long term strategy at this point, the one that will come after him will probably have to report some success rather soon after too, so...
Swift

Postby Swift » Fri 03 Oct, 2014 5:53 pm

Thing is, GW was already a sinking ship before this, now they are even keener to make a quick buck without a care in the world. And their quality of models is lower now, I tried to buy the old Dark Eldar Archon because the new one is shit, but they are permanently out of stock :(
ChrisNihilus
Level 3

Postby ChrisNihilus » Wed 08 Oct, 2014 8:51 am

I looked the new Codex. I don't play Dark Eldar personally so maybe i didn't notice all the changes, but it seems good.
Mandrakes are now good, pain tokens work on turns, 6 fast attack choices... i need to see them in action but for now it seems good to me.

Return to “Random Stuff”