Map W.i.p Ruins of the Juju 1st.

Elite (and related) releases.
Venjitron
Level 2

Map W.i.p Ruins of the Juju 1st.

Postby Venjitron » Fri 20 Jun, 2014 12:27 pm

Hi....ive took my time to give world editor a good L2use....did alright built something with my fingers and electricity...like Zues or at least Thor.....anyway its nearly completed..ive play tested and works and looks good. I'll upload the map as soon as im happy with it as for now here's some in game screenies.
Attachments

[The extension jpg has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Atlas

Re: Map W.i.p Ruins of the Juju 1st.

Postby Atlas » Fri 20 Jun, 2014 6:11 pm

Looks pretty cool. It's a 1v1 map?
BaptismByLoli
Level 4

Postby BaptismByLoli » Fri 20 Jun, 2014 6:17 pm

I thinks its 3v3 judging by the amount of yellow in the radar

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2
Swift

Postby Swift » Fri 20 Jun, 2014 6:26 pm

I would play on that definitely. Maybe a 1v1 variant could be put in the works?

And what is up with your grammar on your first post? :P
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
Venjitron
Level 2

Postby Venjitron » Fri 20 Jun, 2014 11:58 pm

I was wondering if one the mapping guru's could help me....im trying to sort out a thick really low level fog....out of all the editor the fog tool is the most confusing to me...and i cant seem to get it right.......could i get some advices please
Flash
Level 3

Postby Flash » Sat 21 Jun, 2014 12:19 am

You actually kept the name haha
Arbit
Level 3

Postby Arbit » Sun 22 Jun, 2014 2:29 am

Have you looked at the fog options under the Terrain Properties dialog? If you want fog from elevation 150 to 180 for example, you can set the "Layer Fog Base Height" slider under Terrain Properties to 150, then go to Atmosphere Properties dialog and set the "Layer Fog Depth" slider to 30. AFAICT the "Distance Fog" sliders under Atmosphere Properties are good for setting the general haziness of the map.

I have no idea why the fog options are split between two dialogs.
My 1v1 map - Imperial Plaza. Revisions are in progress so please check it out and give feedback!
Indrid

Postby Indrid » Sun 22 Jun, 2014 3:22 pm

The Terrain and Atmosphere controls allow you to achieve pretty much the same things. I just use the Atmosphere controls; stick to Distance Fog - Fog Start, Fog End. Shouldn't be hard to get what you want by playing around with them. Remember to utilise the in-game camera view so you can check how players will see it.
Venjitron
Level 2

Postby Venjitron » Tue 01 Jul, 2014 9:06 am

Cheers for the advice gents...ive been looking into it abit im kinda getting there with it after much tinkering and its the only thing holding me back i aim to create 3 3v3 maps they may not be of the highest aesthetic values but they should be good for competitive 3 on 3 which is my main goal of production
Venjitron
Level 2

Postby Venjitron » Thu 30 Oct, 2014 9:45 pm

Map is completed.....but relic broke world builder.....so as for now i can't even open the map file till they fix it but should they ever fix it then il package it up and send it to the development team :) peeeeeece n endless war
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Tue 11 Nov, 2014 8:32 pm

I wouldn't count on relic fixing the world builder ever. :cry:
"A fortress is built with blood and toil. Only by blood and toil may it be taken." Leman Russ
Garrick
Level 2

Postby Garrick » Wed 12 Nov, 2014 7:00 pm

Using the Chaos Rising world builder to compile the map? Caid has noted on the RN forums that it still works.
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Wed 12 Nov, 2014 7:42 pm

Wont work, because the chaos rising world build isn't compatible with retribution maps.
"A fortress is built with blood and toil. Only by blood and toil may it be taken." Leman Russ
Ven
Level 3

Postby Ven » Thu 13 Nov, 2014 12:56 am

MaxPower wrote:Wont work, because the chaos rising world build isn't compatible with retribution maps.

surely there is a way to convert the map? Argus desert gate and calderis refinery were in the vanilla DOW2, and they're in retribution. is there not a way to convert them or something along those lines?

My Twitch where i occasionally stream myself pwning/getting pwned on elite mod, i seem to bounce between the two on a game to game basis. - http://www.Twitch.tv/Venkitsune
Flash
Level 3

Postby Flash » Sat 15 Nov, 2014 12:52 am

I doubt it without the official tools, or something homebrew which hasn't much progress lately.
Venjitron
Level 2

Postby Venjitron » Sun 18 Jan, 2015 4:32 pm

OK guys maps ready for sharing...please test ....https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B278sb ... sp=sharing
Swift

Postby Swift » Mon 19 Jan, 2015 12:15 pm

I've just noticed something from the screenshots which I hadn't before, your playable area size is really really small, look at the edges of the pictures, the map falls away. You need to make the non-playable area a lot larger or people can see off it. Blessed's map Leviathan Eye suffers from this but yours is worse for it.

London Duncan's guide recommends:
Players | Playable Area | Non Playable Area
2 || 256 x 256 || 448 x 448
4 || 352 x 352 || 544 x 544
6|| 448 x 448 || 608x608

Other maps featured in his guide follow similar recommendations:
(6p) Typhon Arena Playable: 384x384 Full terrain size: 544x544
(6p) Argus Desert Gate Playable: 320x480 Full terrain size: 640x800
(6p) Tiber Outpost Playable: 512x512 Full terrain size: 640x640
(6p) Angel Gate Playable: 416x416(6p) Angel Gate 416x416 544x544 544x544
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
Venjitron
Level 2

Postby Venjitron » Mon 19 Jan, 2015 12:56 pm

Yeah theres errors i was kinda hoping another map guru could take on my map and clean tidy and sort screen map out as the core works are done.. also the map setting features 1 secure power thats hard to bash and 2 unsecure powers hopefully the gameplay will start off on the flanks and spill into the middle for big t2 t3 battles as the center vp will recieve reinforcements from each flank...anyway im done with the mapping now i mayy at some point pick up the reigns again but not for a good time.
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Mon 19 Jan, 2015 3:43 pm

Well I'm just talking for me, but as a map designer I'd rather start my own map instead of fixing someone else's map.

The "core work" might be done, but there is a lot more to it if you wanna make a map good gameplay wise and aesthetic wise.

So yeah, again I'm just talking about myself but I won't finish your map. Sorry.
Swift

Postby Swift » Mon 19 Jan, 2015 9:13 pm

I'll look at your map but don't expect me to fix anything, I don't have the skills nor the patience.

[EDIT]: Please when uploading your map, actually include the World Builder file or I would have to reconstruct the whole thing based on those images... and I'm not doing that :P

ruins_of_the_juju_first.wb-scenario
Indrid

Postby Indrid » Mon 19 Jan, 2015 11:48 pm

You can rename the .scenario file to .wb-scenario and the WorldBuilder will open it. Just keep the .info, .scenariomaker and _id.scar files with it.
Venjitron
Level 2

Postby Venjitron » Thu 04 Jun, 2015 9:04 pm

ok guys thanks to help from Zeetorq on finishing my map and some small changes to layout, size and placements the map is complete...but there is a bug that is effecting the map. Zeetorq also reported the same bug when he created his map and we are both out of ideas on how to fix this...the bug is in the lobby screen the player slots are listed as 1,2,3 then 5,6,7 and obs slots are not visible as they have been pushed off...i checked the hq player sets and they are still 123456 any map gurus know anything about this?

ALSO IM UPLOADING THIS AS COMPLETE FOR NOW TILL SOMEBODY CAN FIGURE OUT A FIX AS THE BUG DOESN'T EFFECT GAMEPLAY

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B278sb ... sp=sharing
bountyhunter571
Level 1

Postby bountyhunter571 » Thu 04 Jun, 2015 9:54 pm

Hi

Looks pretty cool. I downloaded it and gave it a try.

First, you might wanna adjust your download-file. You need to add a pvp folder, such that the files are put in the right place. It says Elite-> Data -> maps -> pvp -> files. (not sure whether you'll be able to play the map even if its not in the pvp folder though...)
Second, you posted the wb-scenario file. This is just a working file to work in the world builder. To get it properly, you have to save and bake, which puts the files into Assets -> maps. Take those and put them into your download folder. This might also fix the obs seats, as they work for me.

The lobby map isn't exhibiting the victory points on the map, its just a bare map. you might wanna scale down the loading screen map and put it in the lobby. however, afaik there are maps that do not have a point layout in the lobby, so this is up to your preferences. but you might wanna change the loading screen background to an ingame shot of your own map, as this is common practice. Also it would be nice if you would use the same objects for the map screens as other map builders do. I suggest picking them with the snipping tool from other maps pictures, but maybe someone can tell you another option. Further, you might wanna change the name of the map to (6p) Ruins of the Juju 1st and get rid of all those underlines which do not look very nice tbh.

As for the map itself, unfortunately the unplayable area is still too small, so camera will catch a shot from the map dropoff which is fairly ugly. I can show you how to fix this with the stamp tool, you won't have to rebuild the whole map.

Also, I think you could add some more details. For example here

I would put some support walls, because as it stands, the height difference looks fairly unnatural.

Some objects seem rather out of place. This stair for example is leading nowhere.

So I think, it still needs some work in the area of aesthetics. Take your time, there is no need to rush. ;) You will never be able to please everybody, and also my opinion is a personal one which is not meant to be everybodys opinion. but you might wanna consider investing some more time into the details to get your map look really good and fun to play with. ;)
Swift

Postby Swift » Thu 04 Jun, 2015 10:01 pm

Same concerns once again:
- The non-playable area is virtually non-existent, you can see off the map without trying.
- The texturing is too unified with no transition between loads of grass and concrete tiles.
- The objects also feel clumsily placed, some are very nice and the use of volcanic buildings is interesting, but some of them are just weird:

- Spline usage is nice but so heavily centred around urbanised areas the foliage looks even barer.

Sorry, but to me it still looks like it's stuck on square one.

Return to “Releases”