Grav Gun

Elite (and related) releases.
Tex
Level 4

Re: Grav Gun

Postby Tex » Thu 17 Apr, 2014 3:44 am

I think a gravity gun would be really cool.

Would replacing the plasma gun with a different weapon completely change TM play? I would think so.

I didn't read all of the thread, but is this turning into a serious idea or is it just going to be an art-swap?
L0thar
Level 2

Postby L0thar » Thu 17 Apr, 2014 10:20 am

Honestly, just reskin seems like a missed opportunity.

The model is great and grav guns have pretty rich and interesting backround. I would much rather see it added as a new gun with new effect.

And I do believe that SM lacks anti SHI damage, hence the suggestion.
Lt. Ekul
Level 1

Postby Lt. Ekul » Thu 17 Apr, 2014 10:54 am

L0thar wrote:
Lt. Ekul wrote:
Helios wrote:Very impressive. Too bad SM is getting all this love and not the other factions.

I completely agree. It's growing tiresome seeing all the attention and changes being made to Space Marines, whilst all other factions aren't getting anything. Can we stop just continually adding things to Space Marines that aren't necessary at all, whilst the other races are getting comparatively few changes/reworks/visual add-ons etc.

Gameplay wise? SM didn't get any more attention than other races. Chaos in particular received more. Cosmetics absolutely, but the models are made by fans of the game in their own free time. You want new Tyranids models? Go make them yourself, I'm sure the dev team would be happy to include them.

I don't necessarily want new Tyranid models or anything, just a more even spread of attention paid to all the races. It can often seem like this mod pays more attention to Space Marines. I get why they get more assets etc. from an ease-of-design point of view, but I still think that there should be a more even distribution of attention paid amongst all the factions.
Barrogh
Level 3

Postby Barrogh » Thu 17 Apr, 2014 11:50 am

As Lothar have said it already, new visuals are made by "freelance" folks (so devs can't really boss them around and tell to do this or that instead of what they want), and it indeed probably helps that SM/Chaos get a lot of things pretty much because there are a lot of bits in the game existing already.

If devs "should" equalize factions in terms of shinies they recieve, there are two ways. Either people should model more elements for those they think don't have enough of new stuff (then somebody have to do it, and again, devs can't control it if that's what you are asking for), or devs should hold back updates for faction X because faction Y gets nothing (and this doesn't make Y's life any better).

That said, Eldar got a lot of new stuff, but what does it really means? Fire dragons need some work, guardians remodelling was of questionable neccessity etc.
When in mortal danger, when beset by doubt
Run in little circles, wave your hands and shout
Sub_Zero
Suspended

Postby Sub_Zero » Thu 17 Apr, 2014 12:37 pm

The weapon looks amazing. Definitely want to see it in the game.
Jazz-Sandwich
Level 2

Postby Jazz-Sandwich » Thu 17 Apr, 2014 4:26 pm

I'm definitely of the mindset that, if remotely possible, the grav gun should be more than a reskin. Seeing as this is something that has not been done at all in a 40K video game (to my knowledge), it would be a wasted opportunity to not do something new with it.

A lot of interesting suggestions about a gun with new and unique damage mechanics, of speed debuffs... I'm not even nearly qualified enough to have a meaningful say as to what the best implementation would be, but hypothetically, what manner of weapon would be an acceptable replacement for one of the techmarine's existing weapons?

PS - Are you the same Santos who developed the 3DS MAX DoW tools? :D

(offtopic:)

Lt. Ekul wrote:I still think that there should be a more even distribution of attention paid amongst all the factions.

So what would the solution be? Unless a suggestion can be made that is less vague than 'more attention', I don't really see what can or should be done. Without some new and interesting asset being developed, unless there is an identifiable gap in the tyranids roster that has a practicable solution with the tools available, nothing is going to be added.

(/offtopic)
Santos
Developer

Postby Santos » Thu 17 Apr, 2014 6:04 pm

Jazz-Sandwich wrote:PS - Are you the same Santos who developed the 3DS MAX DoW tools? :D

I am. 8-)
Lt. Ekul
Level 1

Postby Lt. Ekul » Mon 21 Apr, 2014 2:19 pm

Jazz-Sandwich wrote:So what would the solution be? Unless a suggestion can be made that is less vague than 'more attention', I don't really see what can or should be done. Without some new and interesting asset being developed, unless there is an identifiable gap in the tyranids roster that has a practicable solution with the tools available, nothing is going to be added.

From what people have said, SM and Chaos are easier to have change because of the modular nature of them, as opposed to other factions having a more singular nature in terms of their models. So like I said earlier I understand why they get more attention from a sake-of-ease standpoint, it's just easier to make them than other factions. And surely "more attention" is succinct enough a term as is necessary in this situation. Surely you can see that the amount of attention in terms of constant add-ons, both visual and gameplay, is much greater for SM than any other faction. The upcoming patch is going to have those new SM visual add-ons. And as far as having an identifiable gap in the roster, I really fail to see how the Techmarine has one. I don't know why this should be added to his wargears when he can more than adequately deal with anything. I would simply like to see a bit more attention spread evenly amongst all the factions as opposed to all the creative input being put into one faction. As far as implementing it there's no way apart from the community not putting all their attention towards SM. And referring to your argument, I don't really see what gaps there are in the Space Marine roster. If there were any they all seem to be gone with the additions that Elite has made, so I don't know why anything new should be getting added when you said it yourself that if there are no gaps then nothing new should be added.
Aertes
Level 3

Postby Aertes » Mon 21 Apr, 2014 3:56 pm

I'd suggest this weapon to be a replacement of the current Techmarine's Plasma Rifle.

As I said in a previous post, this would be a special weapon that deals damage based on the target's type:
Infantry/vehicle: normal damage
Heavy/superheavy infantry: high damage
Monster: extreme damage

It would also give the Techmarine the "Graviton Overload" ability instead of the current "Plasma Overload". The Gravity Overload increases the weapon's damage and makes it knock back targets on hit for a short time.

I remove my previous comment about shocking vehicles. It's lore acute, but overlaps with the Ommnissiah Orb of the Techmarine.
Sneery_Thug
Level 2

Postby Sneery_Thug » Mon 21 Apr, 2014 5:21 pm

This Grav-Gun-Model looks just too good to not to use it. Guys, you have to find a niche for it!

Santos wrote:
Jazz-Sandwich wrote:PS - Are you the same Santos who developed the 3DS MAX DoW tools? :D

I am. 8-)

Hell, just couple of day ago I learned from one of the Codex-edition-mod makers, that you've made the DoW2-modding possible. Thank you man (thank you for I waste so much time playing DoW2 now :mrgreen: )
Ace of Swords
Level 5

Postby Ace of Swords » Mon 21 Apr, 2014 5:44 pm

The model looks good & cool, but Im of the opinion that it shouldn't be forced in, if there is a good placement or use for it then fine, but them implement it just because.

Also Anti-everything weapon are dumb, and completely defeat the point of the basic mechanics of this game.
Aertes
Level 3

Postby Aertes » Mon 21 Apr, 2014 10:04 pm

Ace of Swords wrote:Also Anti-everything weapon are dumb, and completely defeat the point of the basic mechanics of this game.

Pretty true. Well I remove mysuggestion about Monsters (the techmarine already has the meltagun for them), make it just a anti-heavy infantry weapon with the knockback ability.
Jazz-Sandwich
Level 2

Postby Jazz-Sandwich » Mon 21 Apr, 2014 10:58 pm

Lt. Ekul wrote: And referring to your argument, I don't really see what gaps there are in the Space Marine roster. If there were any they all seem to be gone with the additions that Elite has made, so I don't know why anything new should be getting added when you said it yourself that if there are no gaps then nothing new should be added.

Jazz-Sandwich wrote:Without some new and interesting asset being developed, unless there is an identifiable gap in the tyranids roster that has a practicable solution with the tools available, nothing is going to be added.

I apologise if I'm coming across as overly antagonistic, and I share your disappointment in the relative absence of developments for the non-marine races.

In the case of the grav gun for the Techmarine, here is a novel and exciting asset that is unlike anything implemented previously. It would be a shame not to use it somehow imo.

As for every other race, yes, it would be fantastic if they could receive more work also. But unless a 3D modeler comes along tomorrow with, say, a biovore model, the only way the other races can get 'more attention' is to rectify existing imbalances. Apologies if I was unclear in my previous posts.
sterling
Contributor

Postby sterling » Mon 21 Apr, 2014 11:24 pm

As one of the people working to implement new models into the mod I'm simply trying to get as much of the content created for DOWII into the game without having to turn the mod into a codex edition style lore mod. The "DLC" pack way seems to be a good way to do this. So far there are (or will be shortly)...

4 Space Marine packs
7 Chaos packs
2 Ork packs
2 Imperial Guard packs

The reasons for this have already been outlined and I am trying to think of ways to add some cosmetic changes to Nids - but there is much less on offer and it's much trickier to make look decent due to them being so organic looking. You might see Harlequin for Elder sometime in the future however thanks to Caids work creating new models.

So it'll come, eventually, but if you really want it sooner, learn how to mod and have a go at it yourself, it's really not too tricky.
New models for Elite and Retribution...
http://www.dawnofwar.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=397
Raffa
Level 4

Postby Raffa » Fri 09 May, 2014 1:34 pm

Late to the party but...

if you could sharpen up the gun a bit, and the firing animations look legit, then yeah I'm all for replacing the TM plasma gun with the Grav Gun.
Imperator1
Level 2

Postby Imperator1 » Wed 14 May, 2014 11:13 pm

This is a very cool model. Can I use it my mod too please?
n0ave
Level 0

Postby n0ave » Sat 17 Jan, 2015 8:15 pm

Good job ;)
Ven
Level 3

Postby Ven » Sat 17 Jan, 2015 9:08 pm

i would like to see this. as riku said it doesnt have to be a TM weapon.

that being said, i would like it to replace the plasma gun. i mean the overcharge is basically a constant stream of plasma anyway so why not?

My Twitch where i occasionally stream myself pwning/getting pwned on elite mod, i seem to bounce between the two on a game to game basis. - http://www.Twitch.tv/Venkitsune
Imperator1
Level 2

Postby Imperator1 » Wed 06 Jul, 2016 9:45 pm

Amazing, these are amongst the few things I need for my mod. Could I please get a download and use them?
The Licking Boogyman
Level 3

Postby The Licking Boogyman » Thu 07 Jul, 2016 9:24 am

Should it slow down units while upon firing like the cripling Talons or should it have a stun ability against infantry? But the ability would be too similiar to the bolter wargear.Slowing down or snaring vehicles would be also not all too great because then you could throw the EMP Nade and slow down/snare the vehicle again which could result that you actually just need one AV if this weapon gets equipped for the techmarine. I mean without doubt its a anti hi/shi weapon which should be effective for mok CSM ogryns melee termies and stuff. The weapon should be just countering melee stuff in combination with bionics and Tier 3 Should be considerd, when it becomes a anti shi weapon cause being lore wise better against shi.
Imperator1
Level 2

Postby Imperator1 » Tue 30 Aug, 2016 6:37 pm

Any download please? I would really love to use it!
Khoran_Gutsplitter
Level 0

Postby Khoran_Gutsplitter » Sat 14 Apr, 2018 6:45 pm

Such a shame that this magnificent, modern grav-gun never got to see the light of day. Seregruth could have at least provided a download of the current revision of his grav-gun, but it seems like he has abandoned these forums and DoW II modding all together. Hope he's doing fine wherever he is.

Made an account just to express my sorrow over this.

Return to “Releases”