The maps of MaxP. - Get 4P Tharsis Forge while its hot!!!

Elite (and related) releases.
Nuclear Arbitor
Level 5

Re: The maps of MaxP. - WIP "Wrath of Baal"

Postby Nuclear Arbitor » Sun 13 Oct, 2013 10:18 am

the only maps i have lighting issues with are joc set being too dark. assuming those four lights show up through the fog, which they should, it won't be too hard to find the center.
Lulgrim
Admin

Postby Lulgrim » Sun 13 Oct, 2013 10:26 am

Nuclear Arbitor wrote:please make sure all points are clearly illuminated in fog of war; trying to click invisible points to issue queued cap orders is one of my least favorite things. those lights look like they'll help a lot.

Wat I have never even heard of that problem.

I must say WoB looks excellent from the screenshots.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Sun 13 Oct, 2013 10:52 am

Max, please fix meridian. It's completely unplayable atm. IGs and eldar just tech up since they fine well so long as they pressure the side contested powers they will be fine as it's impossible for the foe to bash your natural powers. Baneblade rushes are pretty much unstoppable as are d-cannon spams when you're in t2. This is precisely why it MUST be feasible to bash generators on all maps.

Furthermore the centre of the map is an absolute clusterduck for artillery and defensive turret/beacon useage. Suffice to say the entire design of the map is inherently very imbalanced. I find tyranids near useless on this map and space marines, eldar and IG extremely strong.

Also the side parts of the map in which the contested req/power is located are very bad for vehicle pathing. Vehicles can go down the stairs with ease, but then they just awkwardly rotate rather than going back up the stairs.

I guess the second issue is pretty much unfixable, however some relocating of point should make the first less of an issue.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Sun 13 Oct, 2013 1:55 pm

That Torpid Gamer wrote:Max, please fix meridian. It's completely unplayable atm. IGs and eldar just tech up since they fine well so long as they pressure the side contested powers they will be fine as it's impossible for the foe to bash your natural powers. Baneblade rushes are pretty much unstoppable as are d-cannon spams when you're in t2. This is precisely why it MUST be feasible to bash generators on all maps.

Furthermore the centre of the map is an absolute clusterduck for artillery and defensive turret/beacon useage. Suffice to say the entire design of the map is inherently very imbalanced. I find tyranids near useless on this map and space marines, eldar and IG extremely strong.

Also the side parts of the map in which the contested req/power is located are very bad for vehicle pathing. Vehicles can go down the stairs with ease, but then they just awkwardly rotate rather than going back up the stairs.

I guess the second issue is pretty much unfixable, however some relocating of point should make the first less of an issue.

Short answer, if u don't like the map don't play it. The changes u want are too drastic, it would mean rebuilding the whole map, hence I won't do that. You are also the first to address that "issue" at all. Btw. do u also find Calderis Refinerys design to be quote on quote " [..] an absolute clusterduck for artillery and defensive turret/beacon useage" and "the entire design of the map is inherently very imbalanced"?

On a different note how about u start makin a map of your own?

And which version are u talking about to begin with?
"A fortress is built with blood and toil. Only by blood and toil may it be taken." Leman Russ
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Sun 13 Oct, 2013 2:25 pm

Yeah, I figured it wouldn't be changeable because that was the whole impression of the map. However, likewise, I noticed that nobody seemed to be pointing out it's flaws, of which two are totally key to the point where it is impossible to play on the map.

The centre of this map is far larger than that of calderis, not to mention on calderis you can bash power. You can't just tech in calderis, you must defend your side.

I'm also talking about the default version released with the beta which could explain some of the power problems.

I shan't make maps of my own because I don't enjoy it.
Ace of Swords
Level 5

Postby Ace of Swords » Sun 13 Oct, 2013 2:29 pm

Well to be fair, in that map all you need to do in T3 is to spam Tanks and make a wall of them with a rep bunker behind and that's not counterable since you can't flank, you can't go behind and assaulting the front with 4 tanks arty and various infantry putting dps in the back isn't really a viable choice, the map is fun sure, but defo not a map I would use in a ranked envoirment if there would be one for 3v3.
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Sun 13 Oct, 2013 2:52 pm

Ace of Swords wrote:Well to be fair, in that map all you need to do in T3 is to spam Tanks and make a wall of them with a rep bunker behind and that's not counterable since you can't flank, you can't go behind and assaulting the front with 4 tanks arty and various infantry putting dps in the back isn't really a viable choice, the map is fun sure, but defo not a map I would use in a ranked envoirment if there would be one for 3v3.

So, just like calderis or even better cap spire, yet they were in the ranked mappool. So meh I don't care-
"A fortress is built with blood and toil. Only by blood and toil may it be taken." Leman Russ
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Sun 13 Oct, 2013 3:07 pm

That Torpid Gamer wrote:Yeah, I figured it wouldn't be changeable because that was the whole impression of the map. However, likewise, I noticed that nobody seemed to be pointing out it's flaws, of which two are totally key to the point where it is impossible to play on the map.

I get the feeling that u are exaggerating a bit too much when u say that " it is impossible to play on the map". But each to his own
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Sun 13 Oct, 2013 4:32 pm

I'm a boring old try-hard fart and that's why I can't play on the map. I don't know if realise this but basically it's very very easy to turtle on the map. So I only play IG or eldar on the map and rush either the BB or D-cannons + avatar + warp throw. It's shits and giggles when the foe is trying to take down double d-cannons with t2 ranged units.

I always play to win, so the map just doesn't suit me, because I've noticed I'm not the only one who has noticed how easy teching is on this map and it isn't fun to go against.

That out of the way, I main IG and IG suck vs plasma dev spams, or d-cannon spams, or any arty spams and there's nowhere to hide on this map. It is nothing like calderis because in calderis the flanks are much quicker and thus much more efficient to achieve, not to mention the mid is like half the size in length and width.
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Sun 13 Oct, 2013 4:57 pm

That Torpid Gamer wrote: I always play to win, so the map just doesn't suit me, because I've noticed I'm not the only one who has noticed how easy teching is on this map and it isn't fun to go against.

Pro advice: Out tech them, harass the contestd power points. I also wont change the layout of the map, if u dont like the map, don't play it or maybe make a "100% no meridian" lobby. :roll:

Anyways I'll end this discussion here otherwise I might start to really get angry at you.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Sun 13 Oct, 2013 5:12 pm

And that's why the map is so fun. Everyone just sits there in his base teching like it's annihilate, but then again I guess people find annihilate 'fun'.
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Sun 13 Oct, 2013 7:08 pm

Orkfaeller wrote:
Dark Riku wrote:It's not a problem on any map. Adjust your settings!
Im sorry but I'm on Arbitor's side here. My Settings are maxed our and there are a punch of maps out there, ( mostly community ones, but not exclusivly ) on which the CPs are almost impossible to spot through the fog. They just blend into the ground through a combination of FoW, actual Fog, beeing too dark and lousy ( coloured ) lighting.
Not your quality but your settings More specifically your brightness level.

Then on the Meridian note. Would you be willing to try and put the power nodes on the same level as the lower VP's are? That would make them a little bit more accisble and would give you less of pathing issues at that point. I think that's worth a shot.

For the rest you already know I generally like the map.
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Sun 13 Oct, 2013 9:14 pm

Dark Riku wrote:Then on the Meridian note. Would you be willing to try and put the power nodes on the same level as the lower VP's are? That would make them a little bit more accisble and would give you less of pathing issues at that point. I think that's worth a shot.

For the rest you already know I generally like the map.

If u mean like the same height level it would be possilbe to make that (theoretically) , but that would also mean to basically remake 1/4th maybe even 1/3rd of the entire map, which is kinda excessive tbh and the map would look kinda boring and flat ofc.

At this point It is kinda safe to say that I won't do that because of the time it would take to make that change. Sorry.

That Torpid Gamer wrote:And that's why the map is so fun. Everyone just sits there in his base teching like it's annihilate, but then again I guess people find annihilate 'fun'.

If they sit in their base, kill their gens, shouldn't be a problem. And I know that u are exaggerating, but I can't take ur comments serious anymore. Now please, feel free and make your own maps and stop posting in this thread. Because you are getting on my nerves quite frankly. :!:
Last edited by MaxPower on Mon 14 Oct, 2013 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Panda
Level 2

Postby Panda » Sun 13 Oct, 2013 9:32 pm

I find vehicles get pathing issues going up and down the stairs, I would take a guess that this can't be fixed but la-di-da that's a risk you take here, vehicles have trouble going up stairs in real life anyway. Or maybe I should drive a bigger car :lol:

People complain about the natural power but as it's harder to hit it's more rewarding to do so: litrally more risk-reward. I don't see any problems with that as it's not ott hard to bash; in fact it makes a nice change.

And guess what. Every map is gonna get some complaints. If typhon arena was made now people would complain about massive gangbangs on the bottom vp, so imo the nitpicking on meridian city here is a good sign. Yeh it ain't perfect but no map is. Comfortably gets an A in my book.

Looking forward to the next one :)
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Sun 13 Oct, 2013 10:00 pm

Panda wrote:I find vehicles get pathing issues going up and down the stairs, I would take a guess that this can't be fixed but la-di-da that's a risk you take here, vehicles have trouble going up stairs in real life anyway. Or maybe I should drive a bigger car :lol:

People complain about the natural power but as it's harder to hit it's more rewarding to do so: litrally more risk-reward. I don't see any problems with that as it's not ott hard to bash; in fact it makes a nice change.

And guess what. Every map is gonna get some complaints. If typhon arena was made now people would complain about massive gangbangs on the bottom vp, so imo the nitpicking on meridian city here is a good sign. Yeh it ain't perfect but no map is. Comfortably gets an A in my book.

Looking forward to the next one :)

Thanks, btw wrath should be rdy at the end of december :P
ThongSong
Level 3

Postby ThongSong » Mon 14 Oct, 2013 3:57 am

could we perhaps place 1 of the 2 natural powers for the Meridian high city map at the base of the stars just leading up to the central arena. therefore if a team can push the other one off the platform, they got a good shot at hitting gens.

also those stairs are a nightmare for vehicle pathing.

would it be possible to put some shotblockers scattered around the central arena as well? Eg non destructible cover ala some buildings or walls or barricades to make it look less bare?

just a suggestion.
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Mon 14 Oct, 2013 5:22 pm

ThongSong wrote:1. could we perhaps place 1 of the 2 natural powers for the Meridian high city map at the base of the stars just leading up to the central arena. therefore if a team can push the other one off the platform, they got a good shot at hitting gens.

2. also those stairs are a nightmare for vehicle pathing.

3. would it be possible to put some shotblockers scattered around the central arena as well? Eg non destructible cover ala some buildings or walls or barricades to make it look less bare?

just a suggestion.

1. no
2. yes
3. no, there is not much indestructible cover in the game, actually there is afaik no indestructible cover in the game at all. Also i wont put stuff in the middle just for the sake of putting stuff in the middle, right now, the mid doesn't look barren.

Kind Regards
Toilailee
Champion

Postby Toilailee » Mon 14 Oct, 2013 8:17 pm

Chims (probably among other tanks) can't cross here;

and here,

Fuck you Indrid, and you too Riku. I know what I'm talking about.
Swift I: You're not a nerd, you're just a very gifted social spastic
Bahamut
Level 4

Postby Bahamut » Mon 14 Oct, 2013 8:27 pm

MaxPower wrote:3. no, there is not much indestructible cover in the game, actually there is afaik no indestructible cover in the game at all. Also i wont put stuff in the middle just for the sake of putting stuff in the middle, right now, the mid doesn't look barren.

There is, on medean cliff mines (edge of annihilation) the green cover at all the entrances to the middle area are uncrushable / undestructible. Also a destroyed tank in 3v3 argus at the top side between the stairs and the power farm. Can't think of anything else tho
Indrid

Postby Indrid » Mon 14 Oct, 2013 9:00 pm

There is a bunch of unbreakable cover.
Nuclear Arbitor
Level 5

Postby Nuclear Arbitor » Tue 15 Oct, 2013 12:57 am

toil, just upload it to the site next time rather then using imageshack.
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Tue 15 Oct, 2013 6:22 am

Toilailee wrote:Chims (probably among other tanks) can't cross here;

and here,

Not able to see pic 1, but it has to do with the fact that certain vehicles (i.e. apcs) are medium crushers, but those tank traps u c there are only able to get destroyed by heavy crushers (i.e. walkers and mbts) - Should be able to fix that bottleneck though, in removing 4 heavy crushers there. Gonna upload it later today.

Bahamut wrote:There is, on medean cliff mines (edge of annihilation) the green cover at all the entrances to the middle area are uncrushable / undestructible. Also a destroyed tank in 3v3 argus at the top side between the stairs and the power farm. Can't think of anything else tho

Indrid wrote:There is a bunch of unbreakable cover.

That fits the setting? didn't think so. And with setting I also mean the atmosphere, how many destroyed tanks did u see on Cap Spire? 0.
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Tue 15 Oct, 2013 6:52 am

Okay, fixed the map, gonna send them to Lulgrim, so they might be part of the next beta. If you want them now, let me know and ill post the link here.
Indrid

Postby Indrid » Tue 15 Oct, 2013 5:00 pm

Didn't say they'd fit the setting, but you said there was "none at all". There is some urban stuff though.
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Tue 15 Oct, 2013 5:30 pm

Indrid wrote:Didn't say they'd fit the setting, but you said there was "none at all". There is some urban stuff though.

Semantics my dear Indrid :P
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Tue 15 Oct, 2013 6:25 pm

You could have used some indeed Max :p
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Wed 16 Oct, 2013 5:49 am

Dark Riku wrote:You could have used some indeed Max :p

Be quite mr. Dark Riku guy! :P
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Tue 22 Oct, 2013 3:00 pm

Greetings,

managed to work a bit on "Wrath of Baal", so here are some new WIP shots, keep in mind that most of the objects, splats, ligthing and effects are still missing in some of the shots.

-> Link to the WIP shots on IMGUR <-
MaxPower
Contributor

Re: The maps of MaxP. - WIP "Wrath of Baal" 4.11.

Postby MaxPower » Mon 04 Nov, 2013 7:48 pm

Okay,

finally found some time to work a bit on the map again. I still hope that I get a working version up at the end of December.

Anyways the Pics

Btw. I'm still not sure if the current fog thickness on tartarus is to much, so please tell me what u think. :?:

Kind regards
Nuclear Arbitor
Level 5

Re: The maps of MaxP. - WIP "Wrath of Baal" 4.11.

Postby Nuclear Arbitor » Mon 04 Nov, 2013 8:21 pm

those screenshots look great; very atmospheric. the blues contrast nicely as well.

Return to “Releases”