The maps of MaxP. - Get 4P Tharsis Forge while its hot!!!

Elite (and related) releases.
MaxPower
Contributor

The maps of MaxP. - Get 4P Tharsis Forge while its hot!!!

Postby MaxPower » Tue 07 May, 2013 3:28 am

Greetings folks,

I've finally managed to finish the 4p version of "Tharsis Forge" - Version 1.0

Attention: The selfextracting archiv is in german, dunno why my winrar set itself to german.

Just press "entpacken" to unpack the map, abbrechen means to cancel or to abort.

And if the packer asks "alle" it means that It wants to override all the previous versions of the redux map.

-> Download link for 4P - Tharsis Forge Version 1.0<-

For screens and stuff follow this -> link <-

Kind Regards

Max Power
Last edited by MaxPower on Sat 04 Apr, 2015 2:00 pm, edited 86 times in total.
"A fortress is built with blood and toil. Only by blood and toil may it be taken." Leman Russ
MaxPower
Contributor

Re: The maps of Max Power

Postby MaxPower » Tue 07 May, 2013 3:38 am

(6p)Tartarus Harbor - VERSION 2.0.0
by Max Power

-> Download link for Tartarus Harbor Version 2.0.0<- (latest iteration, which is not part of the mod yet)
(self-extractor assumes Steam is in default location on 64-bit OS, change path as required)

Background

Tartarus was an Imperial Civilised World besieged by Orks, and at one point, five different factions clashed on the planet: they included the Orks, the regiments of the Imperial Guard, the Chaos Space Marines of the Alpha Legion, the Eldar of the Biel-tan Craftworld, and the Space Marines.

Layout

Three contested VPs. Two natural req points, one natural power point to the east and west, two contested req points in the mid, two semi natural power points east and west, one contested power point top.

Design

I have no fucking clue, what I had in mind when I made this map (was also the first map I ever made with the world builder)
All I wanted to do was to recreate the feeling and tension of urban warfare at its
most brutal (hence the 3 contested VPs). Everything else, like the layout of the power points, was then changed after multiple games and the feedback I received.

An Important fact is that most of the ruins are crushable, so you could create an open battlefield if you so desire (and if you have suicidal tendencies, cause who wants to get rid of all the cover one has?)

Enjoy!

Changelog

• readjusted the layout of the genfarms and the requistion points (removed 1 natural gen farm each)
  • added a contested genfarm at the top vp
  • fixed some minor bugs that caused pathing errors (removed and reworked some ruins, changed the stairs at the mid vp)
  • changed the layout of the mid vp (removed the statue and moved the vp to that point)

• changed the layout of the top vp a bit
  • removed some cover (ruins that would cause pathing issues)
  • added some details
  • changed the atmosphere settings

• added 1 ramp to the the seminatural gen farms on each side of the map
  • reworked some cover (ruins that would cause pathing issues)
  • added some details

• some more cover fixing
  • added some more effects

• moved the top east and the bottom west req points closer to the mid (thx to riku)
  • changed the top east ramp a bit to factor in the new req point layout

• changed the position of the contested req and the semi contested power points

• added a new minimap
  • changed some objects

Ze Pics

Contested VPs

Natural power points

Semi natural power points

Natural req points

Contested req points

Contested power point

stuff you won't see because its in the nonplayable area and I'm a git :P
Last edited by MaxPower on Mon 22 Jul, 2013 10:08 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"A fortress is built with blood and toil. Only by blood and toil may it be taken." Leman Russ
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Tue 07 May, 2013 3:53 am

(6p)Garzweiler Mine - VERSION 1.9
by Max Power

-> Download link for Garzweiler Mine Version 1.9<-

Background

Down the centre stalked a double line of towering pillars. They were carved like boles of mighty trees whose boughs upheld the roof with a branching tracery of stone. Their stems were smooth and black, but a red glow was darkly mirrored in their sides. Right across the floor, close to the feet of two huge pillars a great fissure had opened. Out of it a fierce red light came, and now and again, flames licked at the brink and curled about the bases of the columns. Wisps of dark smoke wavered in the hot air. (meh okay thats Tolkien and Moria, but hey mine is mine, right?)

Layout

One contested VP and two natural VP configuration. One natural req point to the east and west, two natural power point, three contested req points (two at the bottom, one at the top) and one contested power point at the bottom.

Design

So, yeah my 2nd ever map and it took me only 5 days to make the first version of it.
Which means that this might be considered a "rushed" map compared to Tartarus Harbor that took like one to two months.

Anyways the whole map was basically just an experiment if someone could pull off a map that has two distinct parts (one part in the cave/mine, the other one outisde). And I think that it works quite well, even though I had to make some drastic changes (thx to all the folks that gave me feedback and stuff).

This also favors two distinct builds, the open which might favor shooty armies because they can engage melee blobs way better and the mine complex which is good for fast and mobile melee units. Because of the layout of the map its also quite easy to gen bash your opponent.

So all in all, this map has some unique features (like the inside/outside part) but it was first and foremost just an experiment.

Anyways,

Enjoy!

Changelog

• reworked the whole point layout
  • changed some stuff inside

• more stuff changed in the mine
  • changed the starting locations

• reworked the mine entrances

• changed the layout of the bases
  • gave it some more splats and splines
  • added some background stuff, here and there

[list=][*]had to redo some splines which cause some shotblocker signs to appear
[/list]
Ze Pics - OLD ONES

Contested VP

Natural VP

Natural power points

Natural req points

Contested req points

Contested power point
Last edited by MaxPower on Sun 11 Aug, 2013 3:45 pm, edited 6 times in total.
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Tue 07 May, 2013 4:31 am

(6p)Valhalla Oilfield - Version 1.6
by Max Power

-> DOWNLOAD VERSION 1.6 <-

Background

Valhalla is an Imperial Ice World, also classified by the Administratum as a Civilised World, located in the Ultima Segmentum of the galaxy. Valhalla is an extremely cold, ice covered planet where the temperature never rises above freezing. It is famous across the Imperium of Man as the homeworld of the Valhallan Ice Warriors Regiments of the Imperial Guard, who are legendary for their tenaciousness in holding their ground against even the most hopeless odds and their ability to suffer the most appalling casualties without breaking.

Layout

One natural and two contested VPs, two natural power points, a contested in the center of the map next to the contested req point. Two natural and two contested req points.

Design

I wanted to make a map the recreates the feeling and atmosphere from the chaos rising campaign. Which I think was the best campaign in the whole DOW franchise.
And also because DOW 2 is lacking snow maps and everybody loves snow maps. Right? RIGHT?

Well anways enjoy the map.

Changelog/History

• release of version 1.0 of Valhalla Oilfield

• adjusted the brightness of the map

• fixed some graphic glitches that surfaced due to the lower brightness
  • turned the starting points for the top team, so they face the right direction

• moved the base turrets closer to the base, providing better covering fire
  • added some more details

• had to fix a bug that made the map unplayable

• gave the mini map a graphical overhaul

• turned the sun intensity down
  • added some more splinesl

Ze Pics

Natural VP

Contested VP

Natural req points

Contested req points

Natural power points

Contested power point

Btw. give me feedback about the map, problems, bugs, anything that helps to improve the map.

Max Power
Last edited by MaxPower on Sun 11 Aug, 2013 3:52 pm, edited 15 times in total.
Nuclear Arbitor
Level 5

Postby Nuclear Arbitor » Tue 07 May, 2013 6:14 am

i can see issues occurring on tarturas with the stacked power points. as they are now they're both easy to defend and easy to destroy because they're so close to each other. i think either shifting them apart or swapping the contested ones with the req ponts in the same column would help.
FiSH
Level 3

Postby FiSH » Tue 07 May, 2013 8:52 am

First of all, thanks for the efforts in creating these nice looking maps.
I have played a few games on Tartarus Harbor, and have not won a single game when I was on the 1-2-3 side. It seems that the 4-5-6 position can easily defend their semi-natural power, while applying pressure on the top contested power as well thanks to the proximity of those two power nodes.
><%FiSH((@>
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Tue 07 May, 2013 5:10 pm

Nuclear Arbitor wrote:i can see issues occurring on tarturas with the stacked power points. as they are now they're both easy to defend and easy to destroy because they're so close to each other. i think either shifting them apart or swapping the contested ones with the req ponts in the same column would help.

Ic, ill think about that, might take some time to change though.

FiSH wrote:First of all, thanks for the efforts in creating these nice looking maps.
I have played a few games on Tartarus Harbor, and have not won a single game when I was on the 1-2-3 side. It seems that the 4-5-6 position can easily defend their semi-natural power, while applying pressure on the top contested power as well thanks to the proximity of those two power nodes.

Now if I would change the power point layout like Nuclear Arbitor said, would that change anything or would it just shift in favor of the west team (position 1-2-3)?
FiSH
Level 3

Postby FiSH » Tue 07 May, 2013 6:10 pm

I am not entirely sure what arbitor means by "req point on the same column," as there are two that are somewhat on the same column.
I was thinking maybe add a wall between the two top powers? Not entirely sure what the best thing to do will be...
><%FiSH((@>
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Tue 07 May, 2013 8:39 pm

I think Nuclear is suggesting something like this:
http://www.imagebanana.com/view/8zc7g56 ... esRiku.jpg

Something I Have suggested Max a couple of days ago.
But I'm not totally convinced myself yet :p
Was just an idea, depends a lot on the terrain LoS blockers etc.
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Wed 08 May, 2013 12:48 am

Dark Riku wrote:I think Nuclear is suggesting something like this:
http://www.imagebanana.com/view/8zc7g56 ... esRiku.jpg

Something I Have suggested Max a couple of days ago.
But I'm not totally convinced myself yet :p
Was just an idea, depends a lot on the terrain LoS blockers etc.

Yeah the latest version of Tartarus has this point configuration, so we shall see how it plays out.
Indrid

Re: The maps of Max Power - Tartarus Harbor Version 1.9 is u

Postby Indrid » Wed 08 May, 2013 1:49 am

Your extractor just points to whatever directory the .exe is in, not the install directory. At least for me.
Nuclear Arbitor
Level 5

Postby Nuclear Arbitor » Wed 08 May, 2013 3:02 am

forgot to mention this earlier but i think that top power is going to be largely useless. it's not worth dropping gens on and will get decapped all the time. you could just leave it as a 10-25 extra power or you could throw some walls around it or something to make it possible to use. that said, i don't think you ever need more than 6 gens and sometimes not even that. if it wasn't so close to a vp it would be more likely to see use as the area could be ignored later in the game like the bottom of argus.

vps are also a little off center and that may have contributed to the issues. i've played the version currently in elite 3 times and won twice. all the times i played were from the water side. the last time we lost due to just plain shit playing and not anything map dependent.
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Wed 08 May, 2013 10:57 pm

Nuclear Arbitor wrote:forgot to mention this earlier but i think that top power is going to be largely useless. it's not worth dropping gens on and will get decapped all the time. you could just leave it as a 10-25 extra power or you could throw some walls around it or something to make it possible to use. that said, i don't think you ever need more than 6 gens and sometimes not even that. if it wasn't so close to a vp it would be more likely to see use as the area could be ignored later in the game like the bottom of argus.

vps are also a little off center and that may have contributed to the issues. i've played the version currently in elite 3 times and won twice. all the times i played were from the water side. the last time we lost due to just plain shit playing and not anything map dependent.

The vps are off center because the mid plateau is closer to the eastern team, the bot on the other hand (to compensate) is closer to the west and the top vp is exactly in the mid.

About the conested gen farm top, should I remove it? Because i cant move it anywhere else due to the layout of the map, meaning that there isnt enough room.

Indrid wrote:Your extractor just points to whatever directory the .exe is in, not the install directory. At least for me.

Yeah I know was in a hurry to get the latest version up, so yeah my bad.
FiSH
Level 3

Postby FiSH » Thu 09 May, 2013 2:58 am

Would it be bad to have another contested power? I think 4 power nodes in a 3v3 is not enough, and there are certainly maps that have 6 (argus, argent, armageddon, calderis, estia, hyedus, kasyr, white walls all have 6, i'm sure i'm missing a few as well)
><%FiSH((@>
Nuclear Arbitor
Level 5

Postby Nuclear Arbitor » Thu 09 May, 2013 3:38 am

if you have more than 6 gens you will be floating shit tons of power late game. even with 6 one tends to float significantly in longer games. the only advantage to more power nodes is that you can cap them and get line of sight + a little power.
FiSH
Level 3

Postby FiSH » Thu 09 May, 2013 3:49 am

So are you suggesting 4 nodes? or would you like to suggest a good spot for the contested 5th node? because as it is, I don't think the map is balanced.
><%FiSH((@>
Nuclear Arbitor
Level 5

Postby Nuclear Arbitor » Thu 09 May, 2013 5:50 am

nah, i'm just saying that more than 2 nodes per team ends up being a player trap as far as req goes. i think that contested power could be removed and no one would notice though. i guess more than 2 nodes per team could be placed if only one was easy to defend. that way you have to lightly build on multiple in order to have a good power income early on.
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Thu 09 May, 2013 12:06 pm

I don't see any problem with the contested power node.

Every side has 2 natural farms, so what's the problem?

Contested farms do see some play on calderis/argus/...
without any walls or whatever protecting those.
Nuclear Arbitor
Level 5

Postby Nuclear Arbitor » Fri 10 May, 2013 3:33 am

the only issue that can crop up with power nodes is the fucking target priority.

nothing, you just don't need more than 6 gens.

they do, but mostly they get capped and noded to prevent other people from capping. plus it's useful early in the game. mostly it's just something to do though, especially late game, and thus they often get ignored.

on a slightly different note, i'd like to try a large map with a lot of resource points, just to see what it's like playing with a really high income. points would still be worth capping, and you wouldn't start with a lot of resources, but losing squads would be slightly less important and the pace of the game would speed up some.
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Sat 11 May, 2013 11:59 am

Nuclear Arbitor wrote:the only issue that can crop up with power nodes is the fucking target priority.

nothing, you just don't need more than 6 gens.

they do, but mostly they get capped and noded to prevent other people from capping. plus it's useful early in the game. mostly it's just something to do though, especially late game, and thus they often get ignored.

on a slightly different note, i'd like to try a large map with a lot of resource points, just to see what it's like playing with a really high income. points would still be worth capping, and you wouldn't start with a lot of resources, but losing squads would be slightly less important and the pace of the game would speed up some.

As it is now, I think the contest power point is okay, sure its getting capped and prolly destroyed relatively easy, but isn't that the point of a contested point anyways?

Also Tartarus had 3 power points when it first was released, but nobody liked it because it meant that everyone was just fast techning to t3, making the whole unit conservation obsolete.
Nuclear Arbitor
Level 5

Re: The maps of Max Power - 1st WIP-pics of Valhalla Oilfiel

Postby Nuclear Arbitor » Sun 12 May, 2013 2:31 am

i guess you can fast tech but you end up floating a shit ton of power and dumping 3x3x100 into gens and 3x125 into nodes (1225) so you have no req. and that's assuming you don't lose any gens. not having power sucks but you can still reinforce with req. with lots of power you can't do anything.
MaxPower
Contributor

Re: The maps of Max Power - V1.0 of Vahalla Oilfield is up

Postby MaxPower » Sun 19 May, 2013 2:51 pm

Okay guys, latest map is up. Now I'd like to receive some feedback about the map (bugs, imbalances, the usual crap) and how about some ideas for a new map (setting, size, if it should be a 2on2 or 3on3 or maybe a 2on2, maybe a conversion of a certain map).

Right now I'mm thinking about a map that looks like Cap spire, something akin to a temple garden thingy. Let me know what you think.
Nuclear Arbitor
Level 5

Postby Nuclear Arbitor » Mon 20 May, 2013 4:39 am

two natural and one contested?

i like the urban maps quite a lot, especially the ones that are mostly intact.
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Mon 20 May, 2013 1:27 pm

Nuclear Arbitor wrote:two natural and one contested?

i like the urban maps quite a lot, especially the ones that are mostly intact.

Yeah I like city maps as well, but it takes ages to make a good looking one and besides, there arent that many different buildings in the game which is a shame.

But okay will keep that in mind.
Caeltos

Postby Caeltos » Mon 20 May, 2013 11:43 pm

I would say more volcano tilesets, fairly small sized based for 1v1 and 2v2 adaptations. Don't have ... well, any of those :\
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Tue 21 May, 2013 2:29 pm

Caeltos wrote:I would say more volcano tilesets, fairly small sized based for 1v1 and 2v2 adaptations. Don't have ... well, any of those :\

Okay, might do 2 maps then, one with the temple idea for 3on3 (yeah I know: "Y u only make 3on3 maps? Y u so nub?" - because I like 3on3s most you gits) and a 2on2 or 1on1 volcanic map.

It might take some time to come up with a layout of the maps so dont expect anything soon.
Lulgrim
Admin

Postby Lulgrim » Tue 21 May, 2013 3:06 pm

I haven't played your maps, are any of the layouts possible to modify from 3v3 --> 2v2/1v1 like Relic did with e.g. Calderis?
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Tue 21 May, 2013 3:22 pm

Lulgrim wrote:I haven't played your maps, are any of the layouts possible to modify from 3v3 --> 2v2/1v1 like Relic did with e.g. Calderis?

How dare you didnt play any of my maps till now. :evil:

Jokes aside, I dont think its possible to make the maps into 2on2 or even 1on1 versions because of the layout of the maps. Most of my maps are like argus, meaning very long but kinda narrow and I guess that would make for some bad 2on2 or 1on1 maps.

But I might make a 3on3 map that could be scaled down to 2on2s fairly easy.

So, next maps:

3on3 - temple style something (visiuals akin to capital spire) like calderis refinery (layout wise), meaning that it should be fairly easy to make a 2on2 conversion

2on2 - volcano style something

Anyways, I think its only calderis that has a 1on1, 2on2 and a 3on3 version, right?
Indrid

Postby Indrid » Tue 21 May, 2013 6:37 pm

JoC does too.
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Tue 21 May, 2013 6:43 pm

Indrid wrote:JoC does too.

But the JoC 2on2 or 1on1 or 3on3s are totally different maps, calderis is basically the same map with more or less starting points according to the game mode.

Return to “Releases”