Hi there I made a map

Elite (and related) releases.
Wurgl
Level 1

Hi there I made a map

Postby Wurgl » Sat 22 Feb, 2014 7:24 pm

So it turns out making maps is actually rly fun :>

I did a 2 player map and i thought maybe some ppl might be interested to play it. If I ever do one again I'd probably make it bigger in the beginning so that there are some vista objects at the horizon but owell.

The zip file contains the 5 files that the map creator spat out, I hope thats sufficient. At least for me, its playable.

Have fun, feedback is appreciated

edit: just noticed that fat heroes might get stuck cuz they spawn behind the HQ at position 2 for fuck knows what reason. i hope its fixed now
Attachments
Dolanstemple.zip
(545.73 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
Arbit
Level 3

Re: Hi there I made a map

Postby Arbit » Mon 24 Feb, 2014 9:44 pm

You'll have to ask our resident mapping gurus, but I don't think anyone will be able to play it without saving and baking with the map editor. You'll need to compile it into a single file which is somewhat involved and I can't remember offhand how to do it.

I did take a quick peek at in the editor. It's looking pretty good, especially your use of the texturing/tile tool so the terrain has a nice "organic" look to it. A couple suggestions from a fellow neophyte map maker
- when you place a splat, select it and then hit the "optimum size" button because some of the splats are stretched and will look grainy
- add some grass!
- you'll probably want to expand the unplayable area so you can't see the edge of the world/water

Also, link some screenshots in the thread.
My 1v1 map - Imperial Plaza. Revisions are in progress so please check it out and give feedback!
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Mon 24 Feb, 2014 11:10 pm

Okay gonna have a look at the map, gonna post my impression later on
"A fortress is built with blood and toil. Only by blood and toil may it be taken." Leman Russ
Wurgl
Level 1

Postby Wurgl » Wed 26 Feb, 2014 3:35 pm

Arbit wrote:You'll have to ask our resident mapping gurus, but I don't think anyone will be able to play it without saving and baking with the map editor. You'll need to compile it into a single file which is somewhat involved and I can't remember offhand how to do it.

good to know, thanks! Now all I need to find out is how to do that.
Arbit wrote:I did take a quick peek at in the editor. It's looking pretty good, especially your use of the texturing/tile tool so the terrain has a nice "organic" look to it. A couple suggestions from a fellow neophyte map maker
- when you place a splat, select it and then hit the "optimum size" button because some of the splats are stretched and will look grainy
- add some grass!

Also good to know, I didn't know that button existed and I also completely forgot grass existed since I always play on pleb settings
Arbit wrote:- you'll probably want to expand the unplayable area so you can't see the edge of the world/water

yea that's pretty dumb, but I dont think u can do that afterwards, can you? If I ever do one again Ill certainly make the map a lot bigger.
Arbit
Level 3

Postby Arbit » Sat 01 Mar, 2014 7:02 am

Wurgl wrote:
Arbit wrote:- you'll probably want to expand the unplayable area so you can't see the edge of the world/water

yea that's pretty dumb, but I dont think u can do that afterwards, can you? If I ever do one again Ill certainly make the map a lot bigger.

You can use the stamp tool to select everything and then paste it into a new, correctly sized map.
My 1v1 map - Imperial Plaza. Revisions are in progress so please check it out and give feedback!
Blessed Spartan
Level 1

Postby Blessed Spartan » Sun 02 Mar, 2014 1:34 pm

Whoop sounds cool ill take a look at give some feedback :D
Blessed Spartan
Level 1

Postby Blessed Spartan » Sun 02 Mar, 2014 2:26 pm

nice start, simple and green :D

1. First issue is the placement of the natural req point, its blocked by the cover/ building maybe swap it with the the yellow cover next to it ad move the cover up a bit so its easy to click

2. I added fog to the map to give the map more depth it appeared a bit bland with the atmosphere it had originally, but this is merely a opinion and u could leave it how it was before. saw a dead cap tower so assumed its aftermath of the nid invasion. maybe u should add more, as it doesn't make sense that only one section of the map has scars, if there's more to it, you should show it maybe or make it more apparent.

also added grass to some areas, i think you were going for a marshy like jugle hence the puddles so i also added rain.

3. what is that glowing area meant to be? is it lava or hot coal? maybe make it more raised because its a bit confusing

3. Lastly its the same issue i had with my first map. The playable area and the actual map area is the same. This will mean players will be able to look out of the map. You wont be able to change this unless u make a new map and resubmit that.

fixed issue with the start places, and also fixed lobby issue
ill just put the map in a zip file and u can download it see if it suits you. Hope this helps :3
Attachments
dolanstempleUD.zip
Made some updates
(993.43 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
Wurgl
Level 1

Postby Wurgl » Mon 03 Mar, 2014 8:59 pm

Blessed Spartan wrote:nice start, simple and green :D
1. First issue is the placement of the natural req point, its blocked by the cover/ building maybe swap it with the the yellow cover next to it ad move the cover up a bit so its easy to click

that makes sense. idea behind the placement was that its would be a bit more "contested" if there isnt a simple line of sight from HQ to req point., but i see how it can be difficult to click.
Blessed Spartan wrote:2. I added fog to the map to give the map more depth it appeared a bit bland with the atmosphere it had originally, but this is merely a opinion and u could leave it how it was before. saw a dead cap tower so assumed its aftermath of the nid invasion. maybe u should add more, as it doesn't make sense that only one section of the map has scars, if there's more to it, you should show it maybe or make it more apparent. also added grass to some areas, i think you were going for a marshy like jugle hence the puddles so i also added rain.

- fog i simply forgot to turn on again, i guess fog is always useful
- there isnt much thought behind the nid part i just went through the things u can place and thought maybe that hole in the ground where nid stuff spawns from looks funny and gives a bit variety
- grass and rain i would also have added if i knew how :>
Blessed Spartan wrote:3. what is that glowing area meant to be? is it lava or hot coal? maybe make it more raised because its a bit confusing

fuck if i know. lava? magic? i thought it looks cool thats basically all there is to it
Blessed Spartan wrote:3. Lastly its the same issue i had with my first map. The playable area and the actual map area is the same. This will mean players will be able to look out of the map. You wont be able to change this unless u make a new map and resubmit that.

this part we already discussed here but ye it sucks

thats for feedback and thanks for the optimizing!

Return to “Releases”