Patch 2.9.3 Change log Preview

Elite (and related) releases.
RiceMuncher
Level 1

Re: Patch 2.9.3 Change log Preview

Postby RiceMuncher » Sat 18 Jan, 2020 11:37 am

I understand that patches take a lot of time and effort to work on.
And it will be difficult to release something with +2 heroes for GK, etc etc.

BUT the meta in 1v1 is so stale atm (esp for SM, low tier race).

Typical Nid meta - 3x horma + 2x rav
Typical IG meta - 3xgm sent + t 1.5 if u wish into chimera
GK enuf said.
Ork, fast truk insta gg coz cant stop t1 bash.
Eldar is ok if you can somehow bash power and not bleed to ranger/falcon.
Chaos is alright

Release a mini patch and then add rest of OM which would probably change meta heaps anyway

rant over after gettin rekt in 1v1 as sm :D
WoehlkeTAD
Level 1

Postby WoehlkeTAD » Wed 22 Jan, 2020 2:23 am

I would like to emphasize Gabriel's comments towards capping squad sizes. I don't know what the cap should be, but capping squad sizes will lead to more diverse and funner game play in the end. If certain squads need to be spammed to be effective then I'd much rather see them buffed then spammed.

We added higher upkeep costs for csm above a certain population. Perhaps we can have higher upkeep costs the more of one type of unit are in play?
PianoMan
Level 3

Postby PianoMan » Wed 22 Jan, 2020 1:55 pm

WoehlkeTAD wrote:I would like to emphasize Gabriel's comments towards capping squad sizes. I don't know what the cap should be, but capping squad sizes will lead to more diverse and funner game play in the end. If certain squads need to be spammed to be effective then I'd much rather see them buffed then spammed.

We added higher upkeep costs for csm above a certain population. Perhaps we can have higher upkeep costs the more of one type of unit are in play?

You have no idea what you are talking about
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Wed 22 Jan, 2020 6:26 pm

I think the concept of higher upkeep costs per squad/entity of the same unit you purchase is a interesting one and worth a beta patch tbh.

It's a way to encourage more build diversity without being super risky in terms of balance.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
WoehlkeTAD
Level 1

Postby WoehlkeTAD » Wed 22 Jan, 2020 11:25 pm

In 3v3s does anybody like playing games against 3 or 4 squads of pdevs? What about 4 manticores? 5 squads of zoanthropes or stickbombas? I'm guessing the answer there is no, because it was changed.

Nobody likes playing against that, especially if you have team mates that don't know how to counter it, and nobody likes playing with a noob that tries it and fails at it.

So what did the community do about it, they limited the number of squads; maybe not for that reason. The reason was most likely due to insta wipes, where the victim has no reasonable amount of time to react.

Snipers can pose the same issue, and we're about to make it worse with the ranger changes. Where buying them out of the gate will be cheaper. I'd also like to add that they have 10 more range than scout snipers, and if the Codex is correct on this, they out DPS the scout rifles when it comes to infantry and match them in other categories.

"Oh well it's easy to counter mass cheese" one might say.

I'm not so sure about this. You buy assault squads to counter the mass ranger. two ranger squads are guaranteed at least one volley before asm are within jumping range (50 according to codex), and to make matters worse, good players will spread their rangers so even if you jump you'll only be in range of one squad, then add to that they will likely have a commander to protect them, maybe even a squad of banshees. Jumping is also hard because good players will not set up their rangers until they have a shot, then they will instantly move them, so if on the off chance they let their guard down and get jumped they will just retreat instantly.

Lowering their our of gate power cost will dilute any jump squads counter potential, it will dilute Catachans Ol'Reliable counter potential, it will dilute a sentinals potential to chase squads off the map, it will make it more difficult for any kind of transport to chase them down because it gives a spammer the ability to spread them out more. Do we want this? I would rather not see this. Just make them a better unit at what their design intent is but cap them. Or change their design intent. Make them really good at single targets like commanders, but crap at everything else.

I would apply very similar rational to flash gitz. If the opponent has too much heavy infantry and if forcing your hand to buy flash gitz then I'd rather see them buffed and capped, then spammed. Just like with snipers you decide to jump a flash gitz squad, but there are 5 squads, good player retreats the vulnerable one and just spreads the other squads they have already gotten a volley so the jump squad needs to bounce.

I'm not arguing that we need to get rid of triple dire avenger, triple shootas or triple termagaunt or any of the other staple units to an army. I'm just saying the game can be made a lot funner to play if capped (forced).

You just gotta have your spam? Fine, then at least make it passively punishing, increase upkeep costs (incentivised).
PianoMan
Level 3

Postby PianoMan » Thu 23 Jan, 2020 2:53 pm

You dont even have to counter spammy/cheese whatever builds, they leave so many holes in your composition that anyone who has half a brain can exploit and baselock you easily, you are absolutely terrible if you have to complain about mass artilery squads, stop complaining if you are so goddamn bad
Deflaktor
Level 2

Postby Deflaktor » Mon 27 Jan, 2020 8:29 pm

Have to agree with Woehlke here.
It is absolutely annoying to face 5x flash gits or any of those 5x builds. It is not fun and I see no reason why we should continue encouraging it, as the only one who has fun is the one spamming.

If all you can say is "git gud" then have fun how the community gets smaller every day because people get annoyed by these spam builds. I can already tell you that the mates I play this game with are starting to lose interest because of cheesy spam builds which are too often abused.
OceansAteAlaska
Level 2

Postby OceansAteAlaska » Mon 27 Jan, 2020 8:32 pm

3v3s will never be truly balanced. It's more of a casual game mode, so i dont see any reason to limit our build choices just because you guys are too lazy to properly counter spam.
Deflaktor
Level 2

Postby Deflaktor » Mon 27 Jan, 2020 10:05 pm

No one wants true balance. People just want fun games. Spam is the antithesis of fun. It does not matter how hard or easy it is to counter spam. It is still annoying.
OceansAteAlaska
Level 2

Postby OceansAteAlaska » Mon 27 Jan, 2020 11:36 pm

Iirc elite is a balance mod. So I think most people actually do want balance
PianoMan
Level 3

Postby PianoMan » Tue 28 Jan, 2020 6:29 am

Deflaktor wrote:Have to agree with Woehlke here.
It is absolutely annoying to face 5x flash gits or any of those 5x builds. It is not fun and I see no reason why we should continue encouraging it, as the only one who has fun is the one spamming.

If all you can say is "git gud" then have fun how the community gets smaller every day because people get annoyed by these spam builds. I can already tell you that the mates I play this game with are starting to lose interest because of cheesy spam builds which are too often abused.

Then stop playing passive and stop letting your opponents get 2k req 200+ power spams in 3s, this problem only affects passive bad players like you and woeh and nobody cares if you play or not you are so incapable of learning the simple things and you'll never be fun to play against either because of how stupid you are
Kthxbye l2p
Broodwich
Level 4

Postby Broodwich » Tue 28 Jan, 2020 8:10 am

Piano is actually a recruiter irl
Fas est ab hoste doceri
PianoMan
Level 3

Postby PianoMan » Tue 28 Jan, 2020 10:43 am

Broodwich wrote:Piano is actually a recruiter irl

I've turned 3 total imbeciles into high level players in this godforsaken game
Piano senpai services for 50 buck per hour, better than Torpid btw
GuruSkippy
Level 2

Postby GuruSkippy » Tue 28 Jan, 2020 12:29 pm

stupid question, but why it's 2.9.3, and not 2.10 or even 3.0 ?
2 new heroes seem to be a rather important addition in the game, not just a little bug fix.
Schepp himself
Level 3

Postby Schepp himself » Tue 28 Jan, 2020 1:13 pm

GuruSkippy wrote:stupid question, but why it's 2.9.3, and not 2.10 or even 3.0 ?
2 new heroes seem to be a rather important addition in the game, not just a little bug fix.

PR is understaffed.
Greets schep himself thingy
Swift

Postby Swift » Wed 29 Jan, 2020 12:59 pm

3.0 is reserved for other things. It doesn't really matter what we call it, the content is going to be the same.
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
Schepp himself
Level 3

Postby Schepp himself » Wed 29 Jan, 2020 2:25 pm

Swift wrote:3.0 is reserved for other things. It doesn't really matter what we call it, the content is going to be the same.

Will 3.0 be the then official DOW III`?!

Would be justified seeing that you guys did a better job than the guys responsible for DOWIII. <3

Greets
Schepp himself
Greets schep himself thingy
Han_Solo
Level 0

Postby Han_Solo » Wed 05 Feb, 2020 4:40 pm

Hello guys. Can i send a suggestion to add audio setting in the next patch or another, that can toggle off unit order responses? Units in this game have lack of it, and this is annoyng after 50h of playing on each race. Thx.
Han shot first.
SarDauk
Level 2

Postby SarDauk » Wed 05 Feb, 2020 6:44 pm

I understand why adding two new heroes to the game takes a long time. But what about a separate release with just the balance for the other races ?
"Drive me closer! I want to hit them with my sword!"

Return to “Releases”