2.9.0 Update and Roadmap

Elite (and related) releases.
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Re: 2.9.0 Update and Roadmap

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Mon 11 Feb, 2019 12:20 am

Plasma Devastator Squad:
Squad cost increased from 400/0 to 400/15.

Just leave it. There are no issues for PDS and it has been like this for a very long time.

Force Commander now only deals 50% damage whilst he activates Battlecry and is wielding the Thunder Hammer.

Thunder Hammer is fine. Without damage he becomes useless. It should not be balanced around low skilled players balling their entire army and then complaining about AoE. It NEEDS to do damage or it doesn't counter anything. Do this change and FC's will go back to only using PFist.

Whirlwind:
Speed reduced from 6 to 5.

If you're going to make the Whirlwind a slow artillery you should give it more damage or an ability of some kind. Something like how DoW 3 does it. Right now it's not strong enough to be worth a regular unit that does things. It's more like an accessory when you already have an army.

There are so many changes in the log but the game has been out for so long... Small things just everywhere...
Aetherion
Level 2

Postby Aetherion » Mon 11 Feb, 2019 4:53 pm

Agree with Crew's idea about kinetic pulse. It never did damage in retail/earlier versions of the mod and introducing no skill cross screen AOE damage has created more problems than addressing the previously low use of rangers. It is time to revert this change, keep it available out of the gate and as it is (sans damage). Pathfinder gear just unlocks infiltration, fleet and stealth field. Seems like a fair price (20 power for rangers, 15 for gear) as they are now.
CREED FOR THE PLAN GOD
ELDRAD FOR THE DICK THRONE
just as planned
Broodwich
Level 4

Postby Broodwich » Mon 11 Feb, 2019 5:41 pm

+1 to removing ranger KP damage.

Also, I noticed that ol unreliable uses the same damage type as this:
Barbed_strangler_pvp damage vs garrison increased from 3 to 5.
Fas est ab hoste doceri
Sex - Murder - Art
Level 2

Postby Sex - Murder - Art » Mon 11 Feb, 2019 5:54 pm

Broodwich wrote:+1 to removing ranger KP damage.

Also, I noticed that ol unreliable uses the same damage type as this:
Barbed_strangler_pvp damage vs garrison increased from 3 to 5.

Pretty sure that an Executed ol unreliable can take out a set up team in a garrison with one shot with this new update.

Thanks for reminding us.
There are many ways to say the right thing, and I choose the worst way to say it.
Asmon
Level 4

Postby Asmon » Wed 13 Feb, 2019 6:43 pm

Without damage on KP rangers will be too expensive at 35 power upgraded. The damage is one way to make them useful against some races where you often feel forced to go shuriken. If you remove it you should at least reduce their wind-up and wind-down time. How can you go rangers vs IG now? Let me remind you that they are required if the enemy plants a lot of booby traps.

I don't get the WB changes : sure 20 hp is not a lot, but why kb immunity during stomp? It is one of the few things that aren't incredibly strong with WB (and which makes KtW too powerful for CL by design) and it let one way to bait the stomp and try and dodge it. With this you're just screwed.

Remove WL energy aura and give it to WSE? Just why... you know WSE has his gate's ability right? Perhaps you should use it.
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Sat 16 Feb, 2019 7:42 am

On a random 2:00 a.m. night of patch-making, you start to wonder where all that nice desktop space went.

Anyways, trying to push for a new build/release sometime this weekend now. Obstacles that still remain are the tooltips and some last bugfixes!

Even if I do get everything to a state where a release is possible, I think I'll be releasing a build 6 a bit earlier (like a day or two maybe) as there's a couple of bugfixes that I REALLY want to get tested as some have been long-requested stuff. Kudos to Black Relic for helping out immensely on them!
Thibix Magnus
Level 2

Postby Thibix Magnus » Sat 16 Feb, 2019 8:22 pm

thanks a lot atlas and adila for the continued support!

If I understand correctly, the build 4 is relative to the current Elite version?
Sex - Murder - Art
Level 2

Postby Sex - Murder - Art » Sat 16 Feb, 2019 8:27 pm

Atlas wrote:On a random 2:00 a.m. night of patch-making, you start to wonder where all that nice desktop space went.

Anyways, trying to push for a new build/release sometime this weekend now. Obstacles that still remain are the tooltips and some last bugfixes!

Even if I do get everything to a state where a release is possible, I think I'll be releasing a build 6 a bit earlier (like a day or two maybe) as there's a couple of bugfixes that I REALLY want to get tested as some have been long-requested stuff. Kudos to Black Relic for helping out immensely on them!

Can I have that wallpaper?
There are many ways to say the right thing, and I choose the worst way to say it.
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Sun 17 Feb, 2019 12:41 am

Thibix Magnus wrote:thanks a lot atlas and adila for the continued support!

If I understand correctly, the build 4 is relative to the current Elite version?

Build 4 is just the 4th iteration of 2.9.0's changes. The first 3 were closed and just sent to a few people because they were too raw. We're at Build 6 now, which is likely going to be bundled into a beta release, including the updated/pruned map list and tooltips.

And yes SMA, I can get you the wallpaper :P My wallpapers are all part of a bigger Sci-Fi pack but I think I can single that one out for you.
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Mon 18 Feb, 2019 4:45 am

Sex - Murder - Art wrote:Can I have that wallpaper?

And now to fulfill a promise....

EDIT: And one last pic before it all gets cleaned up:

I actually learned a lot going through this one. I usually did only one part or another and then pass it off. This was the first time I was start to finish. I'm going to start doing a "how-to" video series for people who are interested in seeing what it takes to make a patch come together. Might interest some folks.
Schepp himself
Level 3

Postby Schepp himself » Mon 25 Feb, 2019 5:08 pm

Thanks for the patch I'm just downloading now because Indrid mentioned it in one of his casts.

Because I don't know shit for balance I will only comment on the maps: I for one welcome a core set of balanced maps I can play when I want to play competitive elite-mod. Before that I was unsure which maps were balanced to play and therefore had to work through tournament threads to find the balanced ones.

Greets
Schepp himself
Greets schep himself thingy
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Tue 26 Feb, 2019 6:21 am

Schepp himself wrote:Thanks for the patch I'm just downloading now because Indrid mentioned it in one of his casts.

Because I don't know shit for balance I will only comment on the maps: I for one welcome a core set of balanced maps I can play when I want to play competitive elite-mod. Before that I was unsure which maps were balanced to play and therefore had to work through tournament threads to find the balanced ones.

Greets
Schepp himself

Ty! You can download the patch either in the forum (in the other thread), through the link on the discord server or on the site's homepage (dawnofwar.info).

Return to “Releases”