DLC Replacers & Sterling's New Stuff

Elite (and related) releases.
sterling
Contributor

Re: DLC Replacers & Sterling's New Stuff

Postby sterling » Thu 12 Jun, 2014 8:28 pm

Updated IQ Stormtrooper and Flash Gitz pack with new models.

The sgt head was matched up with the size of the original head without the big stormtrooper helmet.

So whilst the model is a bit smaller it is only proportionally so - as it's obviously not going to be the same size as a head plus helmet.

New models for Elite and Retribution...
http://www.dawnofwar.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=397
Aertes
Level 3

Postby Aertes » Thu 12 Jun, 2014 9:40 pm

It looks very good. Angelos' head gives him a really cool veteran look. The boots in the previous images looked, again, a bit plain and lacking some volume in my opinion, beyond that the look is very good.
Wise Windu

Postby Wise Windu » Fri 13 Jun, 2014 2:36 am

Looks good to me

Nuclear Arbitor
Level 5

Postby Nuclear Arbitor » Fri 13 Jun, 2014 3:07 am

well, i doubt it'll be noticed in game one way or the other and no one else seems to see anything wrong with it.
ChrisNihilus
Level 3

Postby ChrisNihilus » Fri 13 Jun, 2014 3:57 pm

So, i was surfing looking for some mod and i found this image.

And i discovered this was from you all along!

WFT!
This is awesome!

That aspiring champion is the coolest thing i ever seen in DoW2.

Will we ever seen them into the Elite Mod?
"This quiet... offends... SLAANESH!"
Swift

Postby Swift » Fri 13 Jun, 2014 10:48 pm

Well there is a Slaanesh "DLC" at the top of this thread. Have a look at that.
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
sterling
Contributor

Postby sterling » Fri 13 Jun, 2014 11:31 pm

Yeah that's the old Slaanesh mini-mod.

As Swiftsabre pointed out theres a new and updated version at the top of the thread.

Hopefully one day Chaos will get a 4th commander in the form of a Champion of Slaanesh and then the "Slaaneshi Lord" armor can be used for it and I'll release the rest as an "Emperors Children DLC" pack....

Regardless of what happens in the future there's plenty of new models coming in 2.3 to keep people satisfied for now.
Kcets
Level 1

Postby Kcets » Sat 14 Jun, 2014 1:50 am

sterling wrote:Hopefully one day Chaos will get a 4th commander in the form of a Champion of Slaanesh and then the "Slaaneshi Lord" armor can be used for it and I'll release the rest as an "Emperors Children DLC" pack....

A man can dream.

sigh
ChrisNihilus
Level 3

Postby ChrisNihilus » Sat 14 Jun, 2014 1:51 am

Swiftsabre wrote:Well there is a Slaanesh "DLC" at the top of this thread. Have a look at that.

I notice that one of course.
But judging from the picture, this one i found is so much better. I love it!

I really hope the forth commander to be the Dark Apostle (with Slaaneshi followers) to be honest. :?

Yes, I'm exited for the new DLC on the Patch.
In the topic there are only listed the Space Wolfs and the 2 ork factions, but i guess there will be more.
"This quiet... offends... SLAANESH!"
Caeltos

Postby Caeltos » Sat 14 Jun, 2014 2:09 am

Yes. ALOT more.
Indrid

Postby Indrid » Mon 16 Jun, 2014 9:48 pm

We noticed some weirdness with the Iron Warriors Raptor jump packs in testing. They appear very luminous and almost purple in certain lighting (like Argus). Some of the players said this happens with a certain "Iron" colour on that map, and it's exasperated I think by the jump packs being incredibly shiny. Will get a screen up later.

EDIT: Screens removed, issue fixed.
sterling
Contributor

Postby sterling » Tue 17 Jun, 2014 2:16 pm

Textures aren't really my area of expertise but it could possibly be the path for the gloss maps or something similar - I'm looking to solve it with Windu. We had something similar with the Vostroyans and sorted that so will work on it.
Kcets
Level 1

Postby Kcets » Wed 18 Jun, 2014 4:33 am

Why are their packs so shiny? Seems very out-of-place.
Flash
Level 3

Postby Flash » Wed 18 Jun, 2014 5:53 am

pst, read the post above the picture.
Ar-Aamon
Level 3

Postby Ar-Aamon » Wed 18 Jun, 2014 7:11 pm

Is the new Terminator Librarian Helmet in 2.3. I saw Indrids preview and it wasn't mentioned in the visual changelog.
Aertes
Level 3

Postby Aertes » Wed 18 Jun, 2014 8:58 pm

It looks like the jetpacks got the Cristal colour, that pale metallic slightly purple one of the game's armypainter.
Kcets
Level 1

Postby Kcets » Thu 19 Jun, 2014 2:07 am

Flash wrote:pst, read the post above the picture.

It's beyond texturing or the map, the base color itself is strange for Iron Warriors.
Wise Windu

Postby Wise Windu » Thu 19 Jun, 2014 2:12 am

Kcets wrote:
Flash wrote:pst, read the post above the picture.

It's beyond texturing or the map, the base color itself is strange for Iron Warriors.

No, it's the shiny color of the armor combined with the texture of the jump pack and the lighting of the map. On other maps the pack looks fine.

Regardless, pretty sure it's okay in the release.
uncle_anaesthesia
Level 1

Postby uncle_anaesthesia » Fri 20 Jun, 2014 2:05 pm

http://download1338.mediafire.com/8uud7xyc25ig/3tz1lrxu62f7t64/beerkeg_double_jumpack.rar

probable reason of wierd colour is due to my shit textures, had a look at em and hopefully fixed
David-CZ
Contributor

Postby David-CZ » Fri 20 Jun, 2014 3:40 pm

I went through the textures real quick and noticed the nrm and ocl ones have alpha set to black. It needs to be white to be displayed in the game. The spc texture could look better if a bit lighter with darker alpha, but that's just a suggestion.

EDIT:
I changed the alpha of the nrm and ocl maps. Nevermind the suggestion. I also confirm that you indeed fixed the problem, uncle_anaesthesia.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6RDoPr2MDlSVFRxWjdkSkxmOFE/edit?usp=sharing
sterling
Contributor

Postby sterling » Fri 20 Jun, 2014 6:34 pm

uncle_anaesthesia wrote:http://download1338.mediafire.com/8uud7xyc25ig/3tz1lrxu62f7t64/beerkeg_double_jumpack.rar

probable reason of wierd colour is due to my shit textures, had a look at em and hopefully fixed

Nice one man.
Helios
Level 3

Postby Helios » Mon 23 Jun, 2014 6:12 pm

Your Catachan themed skins are excellent sterling but I did have 3 questions

1. What happened to the open top Sentinel?
2. The normal GM squad's sergeant.... Well.. Let's just say spray tans seem to be a growing fad in the imperium..
3. Is it intended for the Storm troopers to use the same model as your LG boydguards? It makes total sense for Catachan fighters to guard their general but stormtroopers are a universally standardized troop, isn't it? Don't they have pretty much identical gear and uniforms regardless of whether they're natives of Cadia, Krieg, Tallarn, or w/e? I don't have the Death Krops DLC but weren't the ST's in that dlc kept the exact same?
sterling
Contributor

Postby sterling » Mon 23 Jun, 2014 6:36 pm

1. Unfortunately it just won't work at the moment (as in the old model just wont swap for the new one) - unless Windu managed to fix it...

2. Yeah - some of the textures leave a little to be desired I guess but I'd rather have new models for now - plus I doubt I could do any better myself.

3. You're probably right - but seeing as no-one really seems to like the Stormtrooper models and IG have a relative lack of infantry I wanted to include as many new models as I could. The Steel Legion ones don't change too much and the Catachan ones are still relatively similar. Vostroyan and Death Korps get totally new storms however.

That being said some of Orkfaeller's catachan stuff looked really nice so when/if it gets released I would like to revisit them and refine the "DLC" units a little.
Lost Son of Nikhel
Contributor

Postby Lost Son of Nikhel » Wed 25 Jun, 2014 8:13 pm

I have never commented your stuff, but with the inclusion of fucktons of your work in the 2.3 patch I want to give my opinion.

Before that, I must say that I know you have spend a lot of time doing these mods, and I congratule you for this hard work.

Chaos
Alpha Legion

Great DLC in general. I like a lot the Chaos Lord cape. Maybe Chaos Terminators need more Alpha Legion simbols. I think there is a bug with Chaos Sorcerer/AC/CSM right shoulder armour, because the "A" and the chains simbols aren't shown.

Black Legion
Great DLC. I specially love the helmet choices (except maybe the Chaos Sorcerer one). Maybe Heretics could have received a bit more love, and the same goes to the Chaos Dread. But since Black Legion is the most "default" Chaos looks

Death Guard.
Sorry, but is one of the worst DLC.

- No Chaos Lord changes, when AFAIK exist a Nurgle Chaos Lord (IIRC you used the epic one on the Chaos Terminator).

- No weapon changes, when already exists green effects for Nurgle (PC Plague Sword, for example). In fact, exists a Nurgle Combi bolter and a Nurglish Chaos Lord sword). Simply adding the Nurgle symbol or changing a bit the texture (with a more greeny rotten colour, for example) you could have made the Chainsword/bolters a bit more "nurglish". Or change the boltpistols magazines with the Blighted Bolter one. Or change the default bayonet with a mini GUO sword...

- On CSM/AC there is a colour difference between the shoulders and the rest of the armour. I'm not saying that you could modify the non-shoulders armour pieces with the Plague Marines textures (fuckton of work), but again with a simple change with a more similar colour it would be ok.

The Chaos Terminators and Chaos Dreads models are the best ones. The helmet choices are great too.

I have some Nurglish weapons. I will upload it, so you can take them if you want to improve the Death Guard DLC.

Iron Warriors

- Great DLC. I have no complains here. Maybe add that Iron Warriors details on the left side of the Chaos Dread.

Night Lords.
Great DLC. The only complain are that maybe the lightings would have been better on the Raptors and not on the CSM, and maybe the shoulders needs too the lightings details. Chaos Terminators could have had more Night Lords details.

Thousands Sons.
Good DLC. Same, Chaos Lord could have more details. Personally I will use the Thousans Sons Chaos Dread helmet on the Chaos Lord, and a crest helmet on the Chaos Dread.

World Eaters
Good DLc. Maybe more details on the weapons, and more skulls and chains. That Chaos Dread was freaking awesome.

Space Marines
Black Templars
Good DLc. Maybe a bit more details on Terminators/Dread/ASM, but good in general.

Blood Angels.
Not a Blood Angels fanboy, but I like a lot this DLC. My only complains are the Apo and the ASM Sargent models. I prefer a more simple Apo model, more similar to the regular one but with Blood Angels details. They have the Sanguinary Priest, which is the BA Apo.

ASM Sargent could have less details. Weapons could have more Blood Angels details on their weapons.

Imperial Fists.
Good DLC. The Tac Sargent chest detail isn't very good, and maybe need more details.

Luna Wolves
It's not bad, but to be a Pre Heresy DLC is very incomplete: Bolters models are too new, Stormbolters instead of Combi Bolters, the Dread... Some of them are very difficult to do (the Dread model), that's true, but other are relatively easy to do. The MK2 model is good, but I think the legs are too big and the shoulders too small. Being the Warmaster Legion, I think the Mk4 would be a more correct model, because they were IIRC the first ones to receive the most recent armours.

Space Wolves

Good DLC. Terminators, Scouts, the Apo and Librarian could have more Space Wolves details. Librarian could be more similar to the Rune Priest.

To sum up, in general the DLCs are great, but some of the units/models receive not love at all. Sometimes is understandable (if the unit its "too common" on the fluff) but sometimes not. The Death Guard its the perfect example. They have a very defined aesthetic in armours and weapons. If you don't change it, when already exists ingame a lot of material to work with, makes the result worse, poor worked that it would be.
"Pater, peccavi in caelum et coram te; iam non sum dignus vocari filius tuus". Dixit autem pater: "manducemus et epulemur, quia hic filius meus mortuus erat et revixit, perierat et inventus est"

There will be no forgiveness for us.
sterling
Contributor

Postby sterling » Wed 25 Jun, 2014 8:59 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Very thorough and has some good ideas that's definitely got me thinking about improvements in the future (totally forgot about rune priests until just now)

By all means if you have weapons and effects that could be used to improve Death Guard and other armies then send them to Windu with what they should replace and I'm sure he'll add them in if he's got time. You also make a good point about the shoulderpads -might well look at changing that in the future.

The reason for the 3 legions that are dedicated to specific god not having different hero models is due to me wanting people to main the "correct" hero for the legion when they choose it. Plus given the relative lack of truly new models I didn't want to have to keep re using the same assets again and again.

There by no means complete packages so will see what new ideas/models/textures get created and keep adding to them where appropriate.

Cheers
[EL] The Emperor
Level 2

Postby [EL] The Emperor » Thu 26 Jun, 2014 5:38 am

So do you think you could a bayonet please to the Death Korps of Krieg model? :) If your looking for a new idea that could be good one seeings how you worked on the Word Bearers DLC.
Steam Name: [EL] The Emperor of Mankind
FunkyMonkey
Level 1

Postby FunkyMonkey » Sat 28 Jun, 2014 7:15 am

I was wondering if the Terminators in the Luna Wolves scheme could be colored black, red, and gold, and perhaps given a topknot to represent them being 1st Company Justaerin Terminators.

It'd be kind of like the Blood Angels assault marines being black for Death Company and Dark Angels terminators being white for Deathwing.
Indrid

Postby Indrid » Sat 28 Jun, 2014 1:05 pm

Catachan DLC: Not sure if this has already been mentioned/fixed, but the Catachan Devil models have distractingly different skin shades on their bald heads compared to their bodies. Looks very odd.
sterling
Contributor

Postby sterling » Sat 28 Jun, 2014 1:42 pm

Yeah I know - the Catachan pack was probably the most difficult to do justice to given the lack of models for them.

Hopefully someone with texturing skills won't mind giving it a quick edit at some point in the future.
Aertes
Level 3

Postby Aertes » Sat 28 Jun, 2014 2:11 pm

I think Catachans can take less work that it seems.

Could use catachan models for guardsmen, just changing their shotguns for lasrifles, and the sergeant.

Then, the real Catachan Devils unit could be given a new head, like a full "spec ops" hat, to make them distinguishable besides the weapons.

Return to “Releases”