General 2.8 Update and Roadmap

Elite (and related) releases.
Atlas

General 2.8 Update and Roadmap

Postby Atlas » Thu 03 May, 2018 1:19 am

o/ guys!

I've been off the grid for the past week-ish now due to my end of term assignments so I wanted to take the time real fast to get an update out on where we're at.

Regarding the release of 2.8, it can't happen right this moment. The demands of my personal life is at the point where I won't be able to put out a patch until May 12-13, the weekend after this one. I don't think I'll actually have a disposable computer for this period of time either actually which really sucks :/

So that leaves two options - would you prefer to just hang around until then, or would you guys rather have me dispense the files and tools I currently have and let someone that wants to handle it do that? I can't give you the step by step, but I can give you the general process and save you a couple hours with most of the rbf files already edited. If you're interested in that, lemme know here or on Steam/Discord.

Ok, now for the general roadmap.

I'm technically the only guy that is part of the "team" at this point and I'd like to change that. It's pretty clear to me how necessary it is to have multiple guys on this as I don't have the free time to do each part. To that end, I think it's time to bring in at the very least some people that can work in Cope's Toolbox and a balance lead designer back on board. For anyone who wants to be a part of that, lemme know! I don't care how good/bad you are at the game as long as you're passionate and want to get involved. (Well maybe I care if you want to be balance lead :P )

If you don't want to be too involved in the patches, we could also use some people to help out with the Codex. The Codex has been sadly neglected with the priority almost always going on to the actual patch and it could use some love.

Finally, regarding tournaments. We already have the Elite League ran by Adila over here as well the Monthly Teams Tournaments by Impregnable such as this one. However, I've heard some rumblings that people would prefer the old fashioned MRT/BTs back. Are you guys cool with the tournaments we have or do you guys want more? I think it could go 50-50, so I don't want to make big changes to the events unless people really want them.

----------------

Right, so that's the basic summary of where we're at. 2.8 should come out around Mid-May at the latest, I'm looking for people who would be interested in being a part of making Elite, the Codex will be a priority after 2.8 comes out and I want to see how people feel about the general tournament scene for the mod.

As for Shoutouts:
If you guys haven't seen it already, Indrid is on Patreon! Follow this link to see what he has in store for us and also check out his youtube channel as well.

Another prominent caster, Rostam, puts out an ABSURD number of casts on his youtube channel as well!
Rostam
Level 4

Re: General 2.8 Update and Roadmap

Postby Rostam » Thu 03 May, 2018 1:54 am

Thanks for the update Brother. I think we can wait 10 more days, would be better if you do it yourself this last time
on the otherhand u can give the files to someone with experience so that he would work on it till May 12th and we would have it ready by may 13th
i also got another suggestion; how about we convince myradel to do the job one last time for the Emperah!!!

Also I think it would be better if we wait for the EliteLeague Season2 finish before starting another MRT, the current playerbase is really low and not a good season for it ,summer would be perfect for MRT around July-August

PS: I will cover all the changes on the change-log thread and the changes on a You-Tube Videos as soon as 2.8 is out
Last edited by Rostam on Thu 03 May, 2018 12:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
“Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.” Leon Tolstoy
Swift

Postby Swift » Thu 03 May, 2018 1:54 am

Personally, I would prefer the files stayed where they are right now instead of have someone try to assemble something out of someone else's work. I think that way we avoid a lot of confusion even if it means waiting for the patch. And if stuff goes wrong because they forgot some stuff you wanted in it, we'll wait forever for a hotfix.

Regarding tournaments, I'd actually rather things slowed down a little tbh. A return to the grander, more pompy MRTs that we had before might be good if we could get people interested, at the moment I don't think there's enough momentum behind them in advance to make them something to truly look forward to. This is partly due to the playerbase of course, but I feel like tournaments have lost their hype, and that's something we (I?) should work to restoring.

[EDIT]: Btw Atlas have you got the map files I sent you? It was just one 3v3 map. I sent them a while back I only just remembered now. If I need to give them to Windu or Myrdal just say.
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Thu 03 May, 2018 2:06 am

I will do something one of these days.
egewithin
Level 5

Postby egewithin » Thu 03 May, 2018 9:10 am

Well, if only I knew how to do codes and shit maybe I could have helped you out. But from now on, I can only help about discussions and creating a road map.

We don't actually mind when will come the next patch, so you can wait mor than 10 days. Its better to have it good and late rater than broken and needs a lot of patches.
TharxGamma
Level 2

Postby TharxGamma » Thu 03 May, 2018 9:39 am

I'm still learning C++ code but if I can help anywhere with code would love to try! It be a great experience
Ayy Eye
Level 2

Postby Ayy Eye » Thu 03 May, 2018 11:09 am

Make me head balance, I'll give all the things people ask for, nids gonna get a lascannon that immobilises, teleporting fire prisms with a shield, and slowly nerfing orks out of the game.
She/Her gamergirl
Indrid

Postby Indrid » Thu 03 May, 2018 11:21 am

Windu is able to help I think Atlas. He needs to know what has to be done/what you've already done. Also the final changelog obviously. I messaged you on Steam dunno if you saw.
Vindicarex
Head of Balance

Postby Vindicarex » Thu 03 May, 2018 9:00 pm

Ayy Eye wrote:Make me head balance, I'll give all the things people ask for, nids gonna get a lascannon that immobilises, teleporting fire prisms with a shield, and slowly nerfing orks out of the game.

No, make ME head balance!
Crewfinity
Level 4

Postby Crewfinity » Thu 03 May, 2018 9:30 pm

Willing to help in any way you need (balance, codex, general updates). Got a fancy new computer so willing to download whatever i need in order to interpret game files. No specific experience with any of the files or code but im generally tech savvy so i can probably learn pretty quickly.
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Thu 03 May, 2018 9:59 pm

Swift wrote:[EDIT]: Btw Atlas have you got the map files I sent you? It was just one 3v3 map. I sent them a while back I only just remembered now. If I need to give them to Windu or Myrdal just say.

Yes, I have a copy of "hades_wastes.sga" here. So unless you changed it, I got it!

First off, thank you everyone for the awesome replies so far! For those of you that want to join but don't have the know how, I would be willing to teach you guys the basics of Cope's Toolbox and the general method of the Codex files np. It just can't happen right now, for reasons I've said in the opening post.

As for whoever wants to be a balance lead designer, I'm not particularly partial on who handles the job. To clarify what a balance lead designer actually is, they are the person who offers the direction of the patch going forward. They should typically be the ones who draft the first changelog. Once they are ready, that changelog usually gets distributed for feedback.

Once feedback is collected, they should provide most of the changes to the changelog as they see fit. Usually, their word is the biggest factor on yes/no decisions but there have been cases where they've been overruled. This part was never completely formalized as there were rarely any big problems but Myrdal would tiebreak in the past if it got bad so I guess I can be a tiebreaker if needed.

You don't have to actually know how to code the game to be balance lead, but just be used to asking modders whether or not something is possible in that case when you're unsure. Some extra duties for balance lead would be writing in the reasoning for changes and engaging with the players on how they feel about balance. But I won't kick your ass to do those things.

If you're interested in being a balance lead, probably the best way to make a good case is if you have other bros vouching for you. I already know a little about you guys just from being in the community, so I don't need introductions or a resume. What I do need is preferably well-rounded, high level experience with the game and the confidence that your opinion is respected if not agreed with.

(Yes, I know the community will always bicker about balance changes and call for your head, you know what I mean.)
Myrdal
Admin

Postby Myrdal » Fri 04 May, 2018 10:14 am

Vindicarex wrote:No, make ME head balance!

Done. Congratulations
boss
Level 3

Postby boss » Fri 04 May, 2018 10:58 am

Might I ask what you need to be a lead balance designer?
Forums great more stuff to talk about.
Schepp himself
Level 3

Postby Schepp himself » Fri 04 May, 2018 12:33 pm

boss wrote:Might I ask what you need to be a lead balance designer?

Being able to read would be a plus I guess... :P

Atlas wrote:
Swift wrote:As for whoever wants to be a balance lead designer, I'm not particularly partial on who handles the job. To clarify what a balance lead designer actually is, they are the person who offers the direction of the patch going forward. They should typically be the ones who draft the first changelog. Once they are ready, that changelog usually gets distributed for feedback.

Once feedback is collected, they should provide most of the changes to the changelog as they see fit. Usually, their word is the biggest factor on yes/no decisions but there have been cases where they've been overruled. This part was never completely formalized as there were rarely any big problems but Myrdal would tiebreak in the past if it got bad so I guess I can be a tiebreaker if needed.

You don't have to actually know how to code the game to be balance lead, but just be used to asking modders whether or not something is possible in that case when you're unsure. Some extra duties for balance lead would be writing in the reasoning for changes and engaging with the players on how they feel about balance. But I won't kick your ass to do those things.

If you're interested in being a balance lead, probably the best way to make a good case is if you have other bros vouching for you. I already know a little about you guys just from being in the community, so I don't need introductions or a resume. What I do need is preferably well-rounded, high level experience with the game and the confidence that your opinion is respected if not agreed with.

(Yes, I know the community will always bicker about balance changes and call for your head, you know what I mean.)

This service was free of charge.

Greets
Schepp himself
Greets schep himself thingy
Ayy Eye
Level 2

Postby Ayy Eye » Fri 04 May, 2018 12:35 pm

Cant we just put torpid in charge again and hope for the best?

If it aint broke, don't fix it.
She/Her gamergirl
boss
Level 3

Postby boss » Fri 04 May, 2018 1:56 pm

Thx Schepp himself you are very helpfull .............................................
Ace of Swords
Level 5

Postby Ace of Swords » Sat 05 May, 2018 12:55 am

Myrdal wrote:

Done. Congratulations

He's gonna quit faster than he quits tournaments.
PhatE
Level 3

Postby PhatE » Sat 05 May, 2018 1:18 am

Myrdal wrote:

Done. Congratulations

Winter really has come...
Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/phatness_

Since everyone forgets, my timezone is AEST (UTC/GMT) +10 hours. AEDT is (UTC/GMT) +11 hours. Hopefully no-one tells me what time any tournament is on.
Swift

Postby Swift » Sat 05 May, 2018 1:35 am

PhatE wrote:
Myrdal wrote:

Done. Congratulations

Winter really has come...

Hello again.
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Sat 05 May, 2018 3:30 am

Myrdal wrote:

Done. Congratulations

Wait, did you meant that seriously?
boss
Level 3

Postby boss » Sat 05 May, 2018 4:51 am

I think he was joking least I hope since he don't even play for weeks on end and only came back 2 days ago .............

Anyways I think I should be the lead balance designer, I play all races to a high level in all game modes least the ones that are played, good understanding of all races and yea not much else to say
Ayy Eye
Level 2

Postby Ayy Eye » Sat 05 May, 2018 10:17 am

I think I should be lead what with me being the most attractive member of the elite mod community, it's important that the head is beautiful.
She/Her gamergirl
Swift

Postby Swift » Sat 05 May, 2018 11:21 am

I think I should be lead balance designer because it would boost my ego to the stratosphere.
Rostam
Level 4

Postby Rostam » Sat 05 May, 2018 12:21 pm

can we vote on who should be head balance?
I vote for Atlas,Freeman,Boss,Adila
“Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.” Leon Tolstoy
Ayy Eye
Level 2

Postby Ayy Eye » Sat 05 May, 2018 1:52 pm

I vote swift, imo ego is important.
She/Her gamergirl
Swift

Postby Swift » Sat 05 May, 2018 2:09 pm

Fanks.

Ayy Eye wrote:I think I should be lead what with me being the most attractive member of the elite mod community, it's important that the head is beautiful.

Oh also pics of you in suggestive positions might help you get this.
Adeptus Noobus
Level 4

Postby Adeptus Noobus » Sat 05 May, 2018 2:48 pm

In light of recent discoveries of super high concentrations of Sodium Chloride deposits, I retract my vote.
Last edited by Adeptus Noobus on Sat 05 May, 2018 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HUNTER
Level 1

Postby HUNTER » Sat 05 May, 2018 3:38 pm

boss wrote:I think he was joking least I hope since he don't even play for weeks on end and only came back 2 days ago .............

Anyways I think I should be the lead balance designer, I play all races to a high level in all game modes least the ones that are played, good understanding of all races and yea not much else to say

I don't know... I think that not rage steam unfriending should be a requirement for being lead balance designer. :D
boss
Level 3

Postby boss » Sat 05 May, 2018 3:52 pm

I only unfriend litte retards like you hunter ;)
Zevargel
Level 2

Postby Zevargel » Sat 05 May, 2018 3:53 pm

The idea to make one or several person to lead balance will fail again like it was when Torp try hard to make it good. You all have to understand we cannot balance the game with 6 faction (GK not counted), simple it's imposible. Still the best idea it's group chat in discord with most expiriensed players of dow 2. Only constructive discution of expirienced players can bring a posetive result.
Last edited by Zevargel on Sat 05 May, 2018 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Releases”