Swift's bag of W.I.P map delights

Elite (and related) releases.
Swift

Swift's bag of W.I.P map delights

Postby Swift » Mon 12 Jan, 2015 2:06 pm

First of all I want to say, compared to the other maps being released at this time, this looks awful compared to them. Also the screenshots aren't great because my PC doesn't render things at a certain distance, so it looks bare.

Mid. Looks bare, cover is off screen for the most part.
Mid power.
Southern VP.
Northern VP. Bit close?
Aesthetic shot of northern power.
North eastern base.

More pictures to come, just posting this quickly now whilst I have time.

I would love advice on splat usage, more layering, since the grass textures so far look mismatched in some places. Is it too light? Too dark? Can't judge to well on the positioning of VPS and points due to my pretentious screenshots, I know. :P

Also, it's my first map, so be mean, really, really mean. I need the feedback.
Last edited by Swift on Mon 04 May, 2015 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
Indrid

Re: W.I.P Minethera Outpost [Feedback required]

Postby Indrid » Mon 12 Jan, 2015 3:31 pm

Hard to give much of an opinion on playability with little idea of structure or layout, but we can examine it aesthetically.

- The lighting is too washed out and lifeless, though this could just be because you're doing the lighting last as I usually do.

- You could make some adjustments to make the terrain look more natural:
1) Avoid using vast swathes of grass sprites, as it tends to look quite odd surrounded by no grass. Pro-tip: always use grass sprites with a brush size of 1, and dab them on. You're using ferns mostly it seems which are technically plants, just applied like a grass - but the same applies. If areas are not man-made, subtlety is always best for aesthetics. Don't use only one type of grass, vary them.
2) Same for tiles, be subtle if it's not man-made terrain. The transitions are too harsh - use low strength tiles with a 50% feather and layer them on, especially with grass-like tiles. For the rock surfaces, you should edge them with splats/splines against the grass tiles to give a more natural transition instead of just going one tile into another.

This is the busy-work of making a map look good, and where most of the time goes. Details, details, details.
Swift

Postby Swift » Mon 12 Jan, 2015 6:46 pm

No I can't give a good screenshot regarding playability at the moment, I have playtested it a fair amount with soem friends of mine but there's loads to do.

The lighting came about because one of them told me it was too dark, so I made it much lighter. I experimented with some other hues but none of them looked right.

I've been trying to make the rock textures look natural, I just ahve no idea how to use the spline tool to make them look it. The aesthetic is all over the place and I've been splatting and resplatting so many times, just can't quite get a nice jungle effect. I'll attach some more screens soon.

Also haven't done the DDS image yet since I don't know what to edit it with/how. Oh well.

EDIT: Changed the map a bit, this is in lilac (World editor says blue-grey)
This one is tan:
Last edited by Swift on Mon 12 Jan, 2015 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Mon 12 Jan, 2015 6:51 pm

And talkin about gras/ferns. Just try the method I use whenever I'm placing ferns, think like fern, where would i wanna hide/grow if I would be a fern, well mostly in shadowy corners or around other objects. I'm a fuckin fern for christs sake not some peasant gras that grows wherever it can. I'm a fern I wanna hangout with the big boys, the trees and that manmade stuff.

Also if you wanna know how to do a "jungle" look watch my videos about "Tharsis Forge" on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTDN7NK1OXA2v1ulNR0f3gTwAJMygHSGR this should give you a hint how to do a good looking jungle.

If using splats, us the optimum size button, otherwise they tend to look too pixelated.
"A fortress is built with blood and toil. Only by blood and toil may it be taken." Leman Russ
Swift

Postby Swift » Mon 12 Jan, 2015 7:11 pm

Yeah I've been watching your videos Max, they're pretty, but much too fast to follow for me to glean anything from :P
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Mon 12 Jan, 2015 7:44 pm

Well I could do a slower version then or I could stream me working on the map the next time if you wanna see that that is
"A fortress is built with blood and toil. Only by blood and toil may it be taken." Leman Russ
Batpimp
Level 4

Postby Batpimp » Mon 12 Jan, 2015 11:04 pm

I prefer the brighter version.

more cover more splats! Lots of angles of attack are good.
Eternal Crusade code 4 extra points FOR YOU!:
EC-ULA1Q6C1USBP0
twitch.tv/batpimp/
twitter: @Batpimpn
Starter guide viewtopic.php?f=11&t=877
Advanced strategy viewtopic.php?f=2&t=718
Swift

Postby Swift » Tue 13 Jan, 2015 8:18 am

I'll be updating the splats and grass on the map, as well as fiddling with lighting. In the meantime, here's the world builder file, couldn't upload here so this is a link. http://www.4shared.com/file/zFxNX1inba/ ... ecoms.html?
Ven
Level 3

Postby Ven » Wed 14 Jan, 2015 3:00 am

MaxPower wrote:Well I could do a slower version then or I could stream me working on the map the next time if you wanna see that that is

i would love to see you stream a part and maybe talk about what your thoughts are/why you're doing certain things etc. you can always record it at the same time to post up to youtube later.

after playtesting swifts map a few days ago i can say that its quite playable, it could definitely do some tweaking but from the moment i started playtesting it to now, its gotten noticeably better and is actually quite fun to play on now.

My Twitch where i occasionally stream myself pwning/getting pwned on elite mod, i seem to bounce between the two on a game to game basis. - http://www.Twitch.tv/Venkitsune
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Wed 14 Jan, 2015 3:58 am

Sure it would be best though if i would stream it and you would kinda moderate the streamchat or ask some questions of your own, maybe we could get some of the other map makers on board as well.

Meaning like a small Q&A-section if they have a problem or wanna improve on something.

And for the love of god, uploade the file to a normal webhoster or to your google drive if you do have google drive.
Ven
Level 3

Postby Ven » Wed 14 Jan, 2015 5:17 am

MaxPower wrote:Sure it would be best though if i would stream it and you would kinda moderate the streamchat or ask some questions of your own, maybe we could get some of the other map makers on board as well.

Meaning like a small Q&A-section if they have a problem or wanna improve on something.

And for the love of god, uploade the file to a normal webhoster or to your google drive if you do have google drive.

sounds like a plan.

also, 4shared is a fine webhoster, you just need an account for it to actually use it.
i'll download it and put it on my dropbox if swift hasn't by the morning.

My Twitch where i occasionally stream myself pwning/getting pwned on elite mod, i seem to bounce between the two on a game to game basis. - http://www.Twitch.tv/Venkitsune
Swift

Postby Swift » Wed 14 Jan, 2015 8:08 am

I didn't think you needed an account for it. I'll try the drive in that case.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3RSq5e ... YxSDA/edit <-- There's the Google Drive link. Complain at your heart's content, I need lots of feedback.
Indrid

Postby Indrid » Wed 14 Jan, 2015 8:50 am

You need to share the file before we can access it.
Swift

Postby Swift » Wed 14 Jan, 2015 5:10 pm

Swift

Postby Swift » Thu 15 Jan, 2015 10:43 pm

Updated map in world builder a lot, here is the world builder scenario: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3RSq5 ... sp=sharing

I'm not good with splats I do warn you, it's quite hard to make things look natural.
Swift

Postby Swift » Fri 16 Jan, 2015 9:06 am

I've had a bit of a mess around with the grass, so here's some screenshots from the map with heavy grass first, and no grass afterwards. The lighting is Light Orange at intensity 3.000.

Used print screen so you might see a bit of artifacting.

Mid - grassy
Mid
Pipes and debris - grassy
Pipes and debris
Power - grassy
Power
VP - grassy
VP

[EDIT]: Mid of map now with ferns and lighting lower to 2.000 light intensity.
I did follow your advice for this Max, most of the ferns are put in shady spots, under trees or around other blocks of plants, but this particular picture doesn't show it off too well since mid has no trees.
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Fri 16 Jan, 2015 9:44 pm

Is it just me or does it take ages to load the pics?
Ven
Level 3

Postby Ven » Fri 16 Jan, 2015 9:46 pm

MaxPower wrote:Is it just me or does it take ages to load the pics?

i think its because they're 1080p.

Swift

Postby Swift » Fri 16 Jan, 2015 9:53 pm

Ven wrote:
MaxPower wrote:Is it just me or does it take ages to load the pics?

i think its because they're 1080p.

No.

They're cropped down from 768p.
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Fri 16 Jan, 2015 9:56 pm

just use shift or ctrl + f3 in the worldbuilder and it creates a jpg for you. And use a fast picture hoster like imgur (even though it imgur lessens the details a bit)
Indrid

Postby Indrid » Fri 16 Jan, 2015 11:07 pm

It's because you posted them in .PNG. It's a lossless format more suited to graphics, not screenshots or photos.

Anyway, you've overdone it with the grass imo. As I said, vast swathes of grass sprites never looks good (IMO). It looks more natural if you use them sparingly, dabbing them on gradually especially around places where you would not expect units to be stomping around so much. Also, more variety than two types. I think I used 6+ types of grass sprites for Kathari, Relic maps I think use at least three different types.
Swift

Postby Swift » Mon 19 Jan, 2015 9:13 pm

No more screenshots at this time because on my computer they don't come out so well with lots of the things degenerating at a distance so here's the world builder file.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3RSq5 ... sp=sharing
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Thu 22 Jan, 2015 10:21 pm

You have to upload all the files that belong to this map if we should check it out with the worldbuilder.
Swift

Postby Swift » Thu 22 Jan, 2015 11:03 pm

MaxPower wrote:You have to upload all the files that belong to this map if we should check it out with the worldbuilder.

Oh I see well I'll do that then.

Sorry they aren't in a folder, I'm incompetant, you'll just have to bear with me:

Also Max I discovered I wasn't hitting enter to create the Spline, which was the problem :/
Swift

Postby Swift » Tue 03 Feb, 2015 9:00 am

Updated images: they're a bit dark unfortunately, I'll boost the light intensity, just wanted the ambience to match the rain which I was experimenting with adding. There is a fair amount of artifacting on the in game screenshots, so it does look prettier, honest :P

There are a few things I need to clean up yet: A few out of place splats from old cover, lighting, rain (if any) and the colour of the cliffs, which are too monotonous a grey.

Indrid

Postby Indrid » Tue 03 Feb, 2015 10:06 am

Well the lighting looks WAY better I think.
Swift

Postby Swift » Tue 03 Feb, 2015 10:16 pm

Indrid wrote:Well the lighting looks WAY better I think.

Glad you like it. Been working on aesthetic enhancements.

But a couple of screens now of some major balance overhauls concerning attacking and defending the naturals. I'll be playtesting this on Thursday hopefully.

Note to all who want to know about layout: I'll post the layout of the map very soon when I know how to edit DDS files.
Southern VP: New approach.
Southern VP: Old approach + moved the VP.
Northern VP: New approach + moved VP.
Swift

Re: Swift's bag of W.I.P map delights

Postby Swift » Mon 04 May, 2015 9:56 pm

"Latest auspex reveals sir, and we've spotted traces of intelligent life..."

Could it be? After all this inactivity, something useful might actually be in the works? You'll have to wait and see...
Swift

Postby Swift » Tue 05 May, 2015 10:17 pm

Another pretentious screenshot. Hooray!

sterling
Contributor

Postby sterling » Tue 05 May, 2015 10:24 pm

I like the style of this. Looks a bit more evil and sinister than the usual ice and snow maps...
New models for Elite and Retribution...
http://www.dawnofwar.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=397

Return to “Releases”