Swift's bag of W.I.P map delights

Elite (and related) releases.
Swift

Re: Swift's bag of W.I.P map delights

Postby Swift » Tue 05 May, 2015 10:37 pm

sterling wrote:I like the style of this. Looks a bit more evil and sinister than the usual ice and snow maps...

Sadly the screenshot of the Eldar ruins was taken with the lighting positioned at the opposite angle it is meant to be because I was painting another part of the map, but when I saw that shot I thought "I need this for hype material!"
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
Swift

Postby Swift » Wed 06 May, 2015 6:47 pm

Third annoying and unrevealing screenshot:

The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
Swift

Postby Swift » Thu 07 May, 2015 10:03 pm

The fourth stupid screenshot, and finally something of the playable area!

Swift

Postby Swift » Thu 07 May, 2015 11:52 pm

So, I finished the map this evening, all it requires is a bit of feedback on screenshots and some playtesting, but this is it so far. I present...

LUGGANATH GLACIER

For those confused about the name, although it is a reference to the Eldar craftworld Lugganath, the backstory is that it was settled by Lugganath in an attempt to stabilise the craftworld and return a planet to the glory of the Eldar empire, but they didn't count upon the freezing environment and the vast swathes of frozen icesheet, and in settling it they brought a glacier down upon them. Since then Imeprial refineries and mining colonies have landed to extract mineral resources, but in doing so have made a fascinating discovery...

Yes, they are Wraithguard. It's amazing what you can find in the World Builder when you nose around.

bountyhunter571
Level 1

Postby bountyhunter571 » Sat 09 May, 2015 11:14 am

looks pretty cool, literally. :)

In before Max announces more splats. ;)

just for aestethics, you might want to consider some tiny texture details. for example, the three ramps that lead down to the requisition point are all covered by snow by default. but the ground next to the stairs isn't.

If you think of where the wind would blow the snow into, it's easier to imagine where there should be a more snowier texture and where there shouldn't be. So personally, I would put more snowy textures in the red marked area. The same applies for the snow splines like electric wires you put in the map. These are just details that consume a huge amount of time and it surely also depends on your opionion, if such details are necessary and worth the amount of time to complete a maps overall impression.

Would be interesting to see how it is in game. can you provide on overhead look of the maps layout and stuff?
Swift

Postby Swift » Sat 09 May, 2015 2:41 pm

Very odd, since I actually put around there. It doesn't seem to render at certain angles but I definitely put snow down. I'll just update that area a bit to make sure. There are certian aspects aesthetically that need changing and I need someone to show me how to make the layout picture thingy.

[UPDATED] Flaking panel edge now looks much more realistic.

And for the case of what you pointed out, I made sure it was rendering and updated it:

Swift

Postby Swift » Sun 10 May, 2015 4:56 pm

Not going to be on Steam for quite some time, so I'll upload my map for youz lot to download soon. Post your feedback, all that stuff, I'll come back and check. If anyone cares.
Swift

Postby Swift » Mon 11 May, 2015 8:33 pm

We have a link.

LUGGANATH GLACIER FOLDER LINK - SHARING ENABLED
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

Here are separate links for everything if you cannot access the folder:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3RSq5 ... sp=sharing

You need everything on this post to play the map. Instructions below:
When you have downloaded the maps you must copy all five files to your Dawn of War II directory. My directory is listed under:

C: > Program Files x86 > Steam > SteamApps > common > Dawn of War II Retribution > Assets > Maps > PVP

If you have never downlaoded maps before, you must create the folders "Maps" and "PVP" in the "Assets" folder.

I know Forest mentioned the Requisition pathing on the north west edge looking problematic, so I await feedback... well actually I hope for feedback.
Wise Windu

Postby Wise Windu » Tue 12 May, 2015 6:06 am

I can't seem to get the map to work. It won't show up in game.

All of the other maps have .scenario files and yours has a .wb-scenario file. Is there a reason for that?
Swift

Postby Swift » Tue 12 May, 2015 11:45 am

Ah I should have stated, wb-scenario means it opens as a world builder file. Simply change it from wb-scenario to scenario. Soz :/
Wise Windu

Postby Wise Windu » Tue 12 May, 2015 3:36 pm

Ah okay. How do I change it? I don't really mess around with the world builder much. :P

It doesn't seem to be letting me just change the file type.
Swift

Postby Swift » Tue 12 May, 2015 4:04 pm

Wise Windu wrote:Ah okay. How do I change it? I don't really mess around with the world builder much. :P

It doesn't seem to be letting me just change the file type.

All you need to do is change the name of the file from wb-scenario to scenario (remove the wb- by renaming it):
Wise Windu

Postby Wise Windu » Tue 12 May, 2015 4:23 pm

Yeah, I tried that, but it wouldn't let me. It was still listed as a wb-scenario file.
Indrid

Postby Indrid » Tue 12 May, 2015 5:31 pm

Just open it with the WorldBuilder Windu and go File > Save & Bake. It will output to GameAssets and should be visible in game.
Swift

Postby Swift » Tue 12 May, 2015 5:47 pm

Oh should it be in GameAssets? Oops, sorry Windu, the fault is mine. :?
Swift

Postby Swift » Sun 31 May, 2015 6:43 pm

As I have been requested to show the layout, here it is, after hours and hours of toiling away at Gimp wondering why nothing worked, I thank Bountyhunter for being patient, Indrid for some nuggets of wisdom and Max Power Lord of Maps for suggesting that Gimp may not be the right software to use.

Swift

Postby Swift » Mon 01 Jun, 2015 6:38 pm

I can confirm that version 1 of Lugganath Glacier is going to be in 2.3.2, many thanks to Windu for including it.
[EL] The Emperor
Level 2

Postby [EL] The Emperor » Tue 02 Jun, 2015 2:41 am

Hey Swift whenever you need my clan members to test these things out just message the members they've been informed to help if you ask.

- [EL] The Emperor of Mankind
Steam Name: [EL] The Emperor of Mankind
Swift

Postby Swift » Wed 24 Jun, 2015 6:33 pm

If anyone has bothered to play it, can I have some feedback on Lugganath Glacier?
Swift

Postby Swift » Sun 05 Jul, 2015 12:15 am

W.I.P
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Sun 05 Jul, 2015 12:38 am

Is it a Dow2 remake of the giant cathedral in the Dow1 vanilla campaign?!?!?
Swift

Postby Swift » Sun 05 Jul, 2015 1:31 pm

Atlas wrote:Is it a Dow2 remake of the giant cathedral in the Dow1 vanilla campaign?!?!?

No. I've never played the DoW I campaign.
Swift

Postby Swift » Sat 10 Oct, 2015 6:06 pm

Lugganath Glacier V1.1 is now ready.
Minethera Outpost V1.2 is also ready.

Hopefully I can get MO included in 2.5 when it hits.
Swift

Postby Swift » Sat 27 Feb, 2016 12:27 pm

Potentially I have some exciting news about a new map (exciting if you like maps). This is a new map that I will likely reserve for the release of 2.6 or a large 2.5 update since adding one in a hotfix seems like a very strange thing to do (plus it hasn't been tested yet).

Presenting:

Archaea Vista

Archaea is an Imperial Ecclesiarchal world that I invented and then discovered that it already existed in the Badab Sector, but never mind canon. The map is built for 3v3 and takes place in a shattered square and partially ruined apartment complex lying at the foot of a large collection of Cathedral-like buildings, taking the name "Archaea Vista" because the map is the area visible from the roofs of various Cathedrals.

A little bit more splatting in some areas and some playtesting are needed.

Here are some images from high up to give a sense of layout. Some detail will be missing due to large zoom: http://imgur.com/a/9kLMi (ignore the first two, for some reason they slipped into the album and they're old.

These images are taken from an in-game perspective, as far as the world builder would let me in that mode: http://imgur.com/a/O0Zna

These images are just some comparisons between the very first screenshots of the map and now: http://imgur.com/a/J6EtC

It almost looked like this:

Criticism of aesthetics/questions regarding layout welcome.
Swift

Postby Swift » Wed 09 Mar, 2016 9:46 pm

After a fraught session tearing my hair out Windu showed me the light on how to make SGAs package and so the map will be coming around to some people so they can test it.

Hooray for Windu!
Swift

Postby Swift » Wed 23 Mar, 2016 9:15 pm

Since a lot of people have complained over time that Lugganath Glacier is hard to play due to visibility I have made a reskin version of it, maintaining similar balance features, some minor tweaks but ultimately the same. Presenting...

VULCAN PITS

It's a volcanic reskin of Lugganath so you can have the choice to play the original or a version that is more appealing to your super sensitive and annoyingly picky eyesight. You can find an album of some images here:

LINKY LINK

Atlas

Postby Atlas » Thu 24 Mar, 2016 12:53 am

This is just me being dumb, but if I add these maps can I still play with regular bros?
Wise Windu

Postby Wise Windu » Thu 24 Mar, 2016 2:10 am

yep
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Thu 24 Mar, 2016 2:17 am

Btw... where do I download it :P Your link only sends me to images.
Swift

Postby Swift » Thu 24 Mar, 2016 8:00 am

Atlas wrote:Btw... where do I download it :P Your link only sends me to images.

My mistake, I haven't attached a download yet because it isn't completely ready.

Return to “Releases”