Watching old replays

Casted matches and replay files for Elite.
Faultron
Level 3

Watching old replays

Postby Faultron » Mon 12 Oct, 2020 11:36 pm

I would like to watch old replay of Dow 2 vanilla (2011 july). is there a tool for this to make it work?
I read somehting about hex editor tool, but i dont know where to get that or whats the name of it at all?
Farseer/Doombringer/Falcon/Mindwar IGN: Ypulse
Impregnable
Level 4

Re: Watching old replays

Postby Impregnable » Tue 13 Oct, 2020 5:14 am

You will get an answer faster by asking at the technical-discussion section of the main Elite Discord. https://discord.gg/jKVfpj3
"Excalibur!"
"Excalibur!"
"From the United Kingdom!"
"I'm looking for heaven!"
"I'm going to California!"
"Excalibur!"
"Excalibur!"
Asmon
Level 4

Postby Asmon » Wed 14 Oct, 2020 8:14 pm

Easiest method is to reinstall the old patch version of the game with a full installer. This also ensures the replay will run smoothly (and that's why I keep most installers from old patches). And it's not even that bad, since the full installation takes seconds.

Otherwise, you have to edit the old replay (with any hex editor, https://hexed.it/ for instance) in order to force the game to recognize it as a legitimate replay of the current version.

Open a replay played under the current version of the game and the old one you want to watch, and look for the differences in the beginning of the code which are relevant to the version (can't remember exactly where they are sadly, and the old gamereplays.org forum post has vanished with the entire website I think). Replacing the old replay's lines with the new ones will work, that is to say you will be able to launch the replay ingame.

But that doesn't take into account the many bugs which can occur as you will be watching, since the game will try and use all the new units abilities visual effects etc... whereas your old replay may have a lot of old things inside.
Swift

Postby Swift » Wed 14 Oct, 2020 11:53 pm

Asmon wrote:But that doesn't take into account the many bugs which can occur as you will be watching, since the game will try and use all the new units abilities visual effects etc... whereas your old replay may have a lot of old things inside.

There's a strange enjoyment to be had out of watching bugged replays though so maybe it's worth it :twisted:
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.

Return to “Replays”