Learn from Replay: Version control?

Casted matches and replay files for Elite.
UlyssesASL
Level 0

Learn from Replay: Version control?

Postby UlyssesASL » Wed 03 May, 2017 10:31 am

New player here. I heard a lot about "watching others / your own replay is a good way to learn", and since atm I'm kinda busy so maybe just start with watching others replay. I've watched some replays from Indrid, but it's slightly harder to find one you want due to Indrid not including factions in the title of 1v1 casts, and some freedom in camera control would be sweet.

However, since I never tried dow2's replay system before, How well does it deal with replays from different versions of build? And different mod versions? I suppose one can still learn the general tactics even from replays of previous versions. But there might be small yet influential details that one need to take care of. Do you just cannot play replays from previous version? Or they just run fine?

Thx
Dark Riku
Level 5

Re: Learn from Replay: Version control?

Postby Dark Riku » Thu 04 May, 2017 12:05 am

You can't watch replays from older or different versions.
Unless you reinstall the exact same version the replay is from.

So you're stuck with the replays online & replays from current retail/Elite version.
Shroom
Level 2

Postby Shroom » Thu 04 May, 2017 12:34 am

If for some reason you want to watch replays from an older version of the game you can find versions all the way back to 2.4 here: http://www.nexusmods.com/dawnofwar2retribution/mods/1/?tab=2&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fdawnofwar2retribution%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D1&pUp=1
Adeptus Noobus
Level 4

Postby Adeptus Noobus » Sat 03 Jun, 2017 8:31 am

Dark Riku wrote:You can't watch replays from older or different versions.
Unless you reinstall the exact same version the replay is from.

So you're stuck with the replays online & replays from current retail/Elite version.

A little correction on this: you can play replays from different retail versions, since they don't change units themselves anymore (because, you know, perfect balance Kappa) but other stuff. There is a tool somewhere on this forum that hexedits the correct version number on past replays. This however works only for each respective version of Elite Mod. If the Mod itself changes, your replays won't show up any longer.
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Sat 03 Jun, 2017 6:07 pm

Adeptus Noobus wrote:A little correction on this: you can play replays from different retail versions, since they don't change units themselves anymore (because, you know, perfect balance Kappa) but other stuff.
lel, no you cant.
Adeptus Noobus
Level 4

Postby Adeptus Noobus » Sun 04 Jun, 2017 12:39 am

Dark Riku wrote:
Adeptus Noobus wrote:A little correction on this: you can play replays from different retail versions, since they don't change units themselves anymore (because, you know, perfect balance Kappa) but other stuff.
lel, no you cant.

Well, yes you can as I have already done it for several replays myself....
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Sun 04 Jun, 2017 2:19 am

Adeptus Noobus wrote:Well, yes you can as I have already done it for several replays myself....
No you fucking can't. Only if you hex edit there is a chance you can see older replays.
Adeptus Noobus
Level 4

Postby Adeptus Noobus » Sun 04 Jun, 2017 9:52 am

Dark Riku wrote:
Adeptus Noobus wrote:Well, yes you can as I have already done it for several replays myself....
No you fucking can't. Only if you hex edit there is a chance you can see older replays.

Which is precisely what I said in my original post, hence why I said I can and I did. The information seems to have been lost in those 3-4 lines so I will highlight it here: A tool for hex-editing the retail version numbers exists on this forum.
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Tue 06 Jun, 2017 11:46 pm

Maybe what you meant. But how you made your sentence not what you said. :)
First you say you can watch replays from different retail versions. (not true)
Then you go on about saying how you can watch older replays for the Elite Mod by hex editing.

Return to “Replays”