1v1 Things I can improve upon.

Casted matches and replay files for Elite.
[EL] A Paige (of AT)
Level 2

1v1 Things I can improve upon.

Postby [EL] A Paige (of AT) » Tue 08 Mar, 2016 10:20 am

http://www.gamereplays.org/dawnofwar2/r ... &id=310405

Vsing Tyranids, is there anything I can improve upon here?

Note: I do not use hotkeys, the old drag and select and clicky clicky mouse stratagem.
Thunderhost
Level 2

Re: 1v1 Things I can improve upon.

Postby Thunderhost » Tue 08 Mar, 2016 4:59 pm

That was a really weird watch, seemed to me the LA basically threw it away on purpose.
Which makes it very hard for me to respond to your enquiry.

Tacs beat HGs wo AG AFAIK, especially with Apo support
You were very late in getting shotguns, I assume that was because you felt under pressure/ power starved?
Meleeing TG's with shotgun scouts seems counterproductive - Just shoot the beejesus out of them.
In the initial engagements perhaps see if you can get rid of the LA first or isolate it with the Bolter-thingy. This way he is unable to reinforce with his pheremones. On the same note, positioning would also help you limit his advantage in that regard.

The Tier2 play was basically unreadable for me, tyranid-wise. he got 2 Venom broods but there was no vehicles on the field and his TG's weren't upgraded.
I'd say go for a librarian, which goes real well with apo and just the smite ability can help tremendously.

Hope that helps and very nicely held.
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Tue 08 Mar, 2016 7:19 pm

I used to only use the mouse as well and I had switched to use hotkeys. It really does help and you can pull off certain strategies that you couldn't by just clicking. Putting on grid keys, hitting the squad numbers up to 6, and then clicking for everything else, including clicking upgrades, really does help. An example of where this would be useful is if you want one Scout squad to knock back with their shotguns while another Scout throws a nade. It's fairly easy to do if you use both the keyboard and mouse and incredibly difficult if you were to just use the mouse.
Cyris
Level 4

Postby Cyris » Tue 08 Mar, 2016 7:23 pm

Don't forget to turn grid keys on. It's in the option panel.

Seriously, use hotkeys. Seriously. Gridkeys make it pretty easy to remember special abilities. It will suck for a few games, and then be AMAZING.

And if you haven't read Codex's magnum opus, you must: https://www.dawnofwar.info/forum/viewto ... f=11&t=718

Oh, and whatever that option is to let tab cycle between selected squads. That's a big one too for laying abilities like nades.
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Tue 08 Mar, 2016 11:17 pm

Cyris wrote:Oh, and whatever that option is to let tab cycle between selected squads. That's a big one too for laying abilities like nades.

I've never used that. Don't think it's that necessary. Probably good if you select multiple units rather than hit their number.
[EL] A Paige (of AT)
Level 2

Postby [EL] A Paige (of AT) » Wed 09 Mar, 2016 3:47 pm

Paranoid Kamikaze wrote:I used to only use the mouse as well and I had switched to use hotkeys. It really does help and you can pull off certain strategies that you couldn't by just clicking. Putting on grid keys, hitting the squad numbers up to 6, and then clicking for everything else, including clicking upgrades, really does help. An example of where this would be useful is if you want one Scout squad to knock back with their shotguns while another Scout throws a nade. It's fairly easy to do if you use both the keyboard and mouse and incredibly difficult if you were to just use the mouse.

I totally understand how the shotgun blast into grenade would work wonders, I would only use that with the purification vials though. I like to save my main grenades for squad wipes and garrisons (even the odd cheeky vehicle too). the shotguns are the melee deterrent for me. These hotkeys are really annoying though, as I am usually using my "keyboard fingers" for the beginning of the match with hotkeys for my first tactical squad and using the directional keys to follow my army. I will keep practicing, but it is really hard to break out of a habit.
Tex
Level 4

Postby Tex » Wed 09 Mar, 2016 4:02 pm

Yahhh!!! Another person out there who basically doesn't use hotkeys! I love it

on a side note, what the heck are grid keys and tab cycling?
Thunderhost
Level 2

Postby Thunderhost » Wed 09 Mar, 2016 6:18 pm

Grid keys reschedules abilities to QWERTY instead of their original bindings. Tab cycling is enabled under options and allows you to use "tab" to cycle through units assigned the same number, thus allowing for individual orders.
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Wed 09 Mar, 2016 10:30 pm

Took me a few weeks to become proficient with hotkeys, but I got better than when I was just clicking. It's worth it to learn and you can use it in other games as well.
Crewfinity
Level 4

Postby Crewfinity » Thu 10 Mar, 2016 4:09 am

ughhhhhh I'm still trying to get myself in the habit of using hotkeys. I almost never do and I always feel like im missing out on so many potential SICK PLAYS BRUH :(

@tex tab cycling is when you have multiple squads selected, you can press tab to make the next squad in the group be the active one (so that you can use their abilities).
However while this seems cool in theory its somewhat useless since if you have duplicates of the same squad they will use the same ability on the same place whenever you select it for one of them -__________________-

Return to “Replays”