Youtube vs Twitch streaming

Casted matches and replay files for Elite.
Adeptus Noobus
Level 4

Youtube vs Twitch streaming

Postby Adeptus Noobus » Fri 26 Jun, 2015 3:03 pm

Soooo since Youtube started their own Livestreaming plattform (as they lost the bidding-battle for Twitch against Amazon) I have kept an eye on their development of it. Anybody who does not know what I am talking about should read this link here on GR: http://www.gamereplays.org/portals.php?show=news&news_id=964817

Now I have played around with OBS and Youtube today and found it to be very easy to set up a livestream. You have to go through a few more steps but nothing that can't be managed. There are many videos on Youtube explaining not only how to set up a stream but also how to do so in conjunction with OBS (which couldn't be any easier) so I will not explain that here. Let me just say it takes roughly 30 seconds or a minute maximum to set up a stream.

Now the key difference is how Youtube handles the streams quality. First thing you will notice: there is no upload speed limit like the one Twitch imposes. That means that you can set your bitrate to any setting you want because Youtube simply does not care how high it is resulting in much better looking streams. Twitch only allows partnered users to do so, others are limited to 3500 kbit/s maximum. Now this may sound nice but you will have to think of your viewers too because many have slow internet connections or even worse, slow PCs. Those viewers might not be able to watch your stream at the bitrate you are streaming it to them and hence experience the dreaded lagging. Youtube though offers your stream at many quality settings automatically (like they do with their videos), a thing you see on Twitch only with partnered users. So if you are lagging at 720p@60 fps, simply tune it down to a level your PC/internet connection is comfortable with and bingo, you have yourself a steady stream again. The videos are automatically saved to your channel, so exporting them from Twitch is also not neccessary. Needless to say there are no expiration dates on your saved livestreams.

I have yet to test the livechat feature on Youtube due to lack of testers :-) but if somebody is willing to try this with me, I will gladly edit this post after having tested it. I already know though that there is no Kappa or Kreygasm so sorry Forestradio if you are reading this. Youtube may hear your pleads on this one though.

I will stream the upcoming tournament on Youtube (probably in 1080p@60fps which is now possible), while Max will be streaming on Twitch as usual I assume. It would be nice though to get some feedback from you guys on how stable the stream was for you and how the quality compared to the Twitch streams you usually see. If this is a viable alternative, maybe this will become a permanent thing.

TL;DR - I am giving Youtube livestreaming a chance

EDIT: If anybody wants to also try this out and needs help, I am more than willing to help them out as best I can.
Batpimp
Level 4

Re: Youtube vs Twitch streaming

Postby Batpimp » Tue 01 Sep, 2015 5:07 pm

its good for brand new people into streaming. it is bad in the long term because. ContentID could delete your channel with its 3 strikes and your out rule. Also if you EVER plan to make money off your videos. Think again. Youtube takes way bigger cut than twitch at the moment.

I would still recommend twitch to people unless they fix their "ContentID" scanner technology and monetary issues.
Eternal Crusade code 4 extra points FOR YOU!:
EC-ULA1Q6C1USBP0
twitch.tv/batpimp/
twitter: @Batpimpn
Starter guide viewtopic.php?f=11&t=877
Advanced strategy viewtopic.php?f=2&t=718
Adeptus Noobus
Level 4

Postby Adeptus Noobus » Tue 01 Sep, 2015 5:11 pm

I also did not know, that while it is possible for me to stream to other people on Youtube, it is not possible to watch streams here in Germany due to legal issues. God damn germans and their legal struggle with Youtube.....
egewithin
Level 5

Postby egewithin » Tue 01 Sep, 2015 5:42 pm

I have no problem while live Youtube live casts but somehow struggles in Twitch. Maybe because of my internet weakness but than why it doesn't same in YouTube? Because of reasons... Works every time! Ha ha! We can try some games on YouTube and see how is it going on.

Return to “Replays”