Codex - Strategy

Topics related to the website/forum.
Samaritan
Level 1

Codex - Strategy

Postby Samaritan » Tue 18 Mar, 2014 1:46 am

Hi everyone,

I successfully played my first few matches in Elite Mod and rightfully got my ass handed to me - it's good to be back!

Compared to retail, many a change has been made and I find myself wondering what all the new shiny stuff does in comparison to other shiny stuff. Some of the counters introduced by the big balance patch from Relic back in the day are still in effect and pretty self explanatory (shotgun blast & crippling poison vs melee units etc.), but since there are so many new units it might be a good thing to add a section to the codex that explains a bit about Elite Mod mechanics

I'm aware that much of the gameplay comes down to execution, but some units/abilities are inherent counters to other units/abilities.

Don't you think it would be a nice addition to the codex if we listed all the units and what they are supposed to counter? Just add a strategy-paragraph to each unit (next to "upgrades") that gives a short explanation as to how the unit is supposed to work ,how it can be countered and what it can be a counter to.

I'm also aware that there is rarely a scenario in which a counter works out 100% considering there are a bunch of variables in each fight, but it would be a good way of teaching new players the basics.

If you guys are already planning to do this, please disregard this post ;)
Vapor
Level 3

Re: Codex - Strategy

Postby Vapor » Tue 18 Mar, 2014 1:59 am

I'd be willing to work on something like this (if the crew lets me). Maybe after the codex is finished.
Follow my stream! twitch.tv/frozenvapor100
Belutima
Level 1

Postby Belutima » Tue 18 Mar, 2014 3:41 am

fv100 wrote:I'd be willing to work on something like this (if the crew lets me). Maybe after the codex is finished.

maybe you could work on it simultaniously since it would save allot of time that way.

Also it would help new people transition easier to elite mod knowing what has changed from vanilla and what new units counter what type. And what they are countered with.

It will help in not scaring of people and them going back to vanilla because they are used to that.
Wise Windu

Postby Wise Windu » Tue 18 Mar, 2014 3:48 am

It would be really easy to add in at any time if someone wrote it.
Vapor
Level 3

Postby Vapor » Tue 18 Mar, 2014 3:56 am

OK, any race in particular you want first? I remember the old wikia having some strategy guides but I probably wouldn't do anything that in-depth, more of just a short blurb on what the purpose of the unit is (counters etc.) and what has changed qualitatively since retail.

Windu would I just send them to you or is there a more direct way for me to do this?
Follow my stream! twitch.tv/frozenvapor100
Wise Windu

Postby Wise Windu » Tue 18 Mar, 2014 4:17 am

Well first we should make sure it's fine with Lulgrim. He might want it in a different place (as in not the Codex unit pages) or want to format it on the page a certain way. It's his site after all. He'll probably comment eventually. If he okay's it:

For now, anything that isn't Ork or IG. Feel free to write those if you want to, though. Their pages aren't up yet, although they should be up relatively soon, so it wouldn't make much sense at the moment. And yeah, just PM them to me or however else you would want to get it to me.
Lulgrim
Admin

Postby Lulgrim » Tue 18 Mar, 2014 5:09 am

Yeah strategy tab is fine, more complex / abstract guides that cover a lot can be put elsewhere on the site. But those are welcome too.

Return to “Dawn of War Codex”