GK Anti Vehicle- Conversion beam projector

Issues dealing with gameplay balance.
jwsoul
Level 1

GK Anti Vehicle- Conversion beam projector

Postby jwsoul » Sat 28 Jun, 2014 9:46 am

I see a load of posts regarding this issue and i have a small suggestion ("I am unfamiliar with GK Terminology so bare with me")

Conversion beam projector a weapon that is utilized by the GK it is different in both fluff and the way it fires and could be an excellent addition to the game. Conversion beam projector fires a beam of energy that becomes more damaging the further away from the weapon it gets until it meets a focal point. This Weapon was once used on Terminators in a smaller version for Space Hulk exploration but this practice is now rarer.

The GK on the other hand are a faction known for carrying rare weapons and are by in large a lot different to normal Adeptus Arstartes equipping this weapon on one of the later Terminator units instead of a Flamer could be a nice different take on the GK Term making it an AV option in Tier 3 and a more Shooty unit in general as both Terms and Paladins are similar in use this could create some variety. Failing that a Tier 2 Squad 3 Man like a Havoc or SM Dev Team who come equipped with this weapon out of the door, or an upgrade to the normal GK chaps in Tier one that becomes available Tier 2. How about a Tech Marnie or Master of Forge hero unit with thsi as a standard weapon who can also repair GK vehicles!

As the weapon fires in a different way in animation to other weapons its distinct and a snare effect if needed could start of relatively weak say slowing only a small percentage and as the weapon further focuses fire it becomes more in line with a Lascannon.
Aertes
Level 3

Re: GK Anti Vehicle- Conversion beam projector

Postby Aertes » Sat 28 Jun, 2014 2:25 pm

According to background, a Conversion Beamer shoots in a very similar way to a Plasma Cannon, but the further the proyctile travels, the more powerful is its detonation since its energy increases more and more the longer it takes to impact.

Any anti-vehicle weapon for the GK is a great idea, specially now that they lost one of the very few they had. In barckground Conversion beamers are carried only by inquisitors and GK techmarines. It could be an interesting weapon option to add to a future GK Inquisitor as hero, but could also be given as a new option for Purgators, changing two of them to storm bolter and halberd and the third to have this weapon.

There is a drawing of one in the GK codex but there is no official model for the weapon, besides one made by ForgeWorld that I show in first place along with other conversions that could be interesting models.

Torpid

Postby Torpid » Sat 28 Jun, 2014 4:19 pm

I brought this up months ago, before the VA was added along with suggesting we add predators to the t3 of GK, however that defeats the point of GKs existence. Essentially GK are the penis of Caeltos. It's seeing what can be done with a race in DOW when you take away many fundamental features - set-up teams, tanks, conventional grenades, snipers etc. The more functional GK can be when in such a state, the better Caeltos' aspiration and DOW knowledge is and therefore the longer his aspirational penis.

There must be a better analogy...
Last edited by Torpid on Sat 28 Jun, 2014 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
BaptismByLoli
Level 4

Postby BaptismByLoli » Sat 28 Jun, 2014 4:32 pm

That Torpid Gamer wrote:Essentially GK are the penis of Caeltos.

You have my attention...

Anywho, wouldn't it be better to say GK is race which Caeltos is using to test the waters with and see how they cope without adding any of the basic fundamentals such as Set-Up Teams etc?

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2
Forestradio
Level 5

Postby Forestradio » Sat 28 Jun, 2014 4:35 pm

People always talk about GKs not having a traditional lascannon/beamy/brightlance setup team, but they never seem to mention that all GK AV weapons are also EXTREMELY good vs infantry as well, sure they are expensive, but you get what you pay for.

About the melta dread: The melta was never an AV weapon to be used against transports or things like tanks, sure it did a shitton of damage and created a no-drive zone in front of the dread, but it was an AV response to walkers (and it's chase potential out of the gate vs walkers was too good). GK dread is more of a fire support purchase now (with melee option), it's not a linebreaker like the melta was vs chaos sm and eldar especially (due to bleeding those races like mad), you already have the BC for linebreaking.

Basically, GK AV is fine right now.
jwsoul
Level 1

Postby jwsoul » Sat 28 Jun, 2014 5:54 pm

Well this weapon like i stated in my original post could be added to the Terminators or a Tech Marine. Also it would be filling a different role to the traditional setup teams in the way that it would require a constant beam of energy to begin a snare! i thought it was an interesting idea to be honest.
Aertes
Level 3

Postby Aertes » Sat 28 Jun, 2014 7:59 pm

Radio the Forest wrote:People always talk about GKs not having a traditional lascannon/beamy/brightlance setup team, but they never seem to mention that all GK AV weapons are also EXTREMELY good vs infantry as well, sure they are expensive, but you get what you pay for..

Not everyone agrees with that, not me at laast. The problem is that GK weapons are "extremely" good for nothing, and "slightly" good for everything. So they get overwhelmed by enemies that are actually "extremely" good for one thing, and just ignore or cope up with what they aren't good for.

And yes, a Conversion beamer would be a great idea, my opinion.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Sat 28 Jun, 2014 10:43 pm

Discreet wrote:
That Torpid Gamer wrote:Essentially GK are the penis of Caeltos.

You have my attention...

Anywho, wouldn't it be better to say GK is race which Caeltos is using to test the waters with and see how they cope without adding any of the basic fundamentals such as Set-Up Teams etc?

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

My analogy has the massive advantage of brevity though mwahahaha ;)
HandSome SoddiNg
Level 3

Postby HandSome SoddiNg » Sun 29 Jun, 2014 8:38 am

This was suggested months back, Purgators already have Psy-cannnons unless it can be separate purchase catering to GK player's style . Who else in GK roaster will get this? 3 Purgator models with Conversion beam projector firing upon a walker ,hmmm i can visualize that :D. I Rather have this then a Henchmen squishy squad acting like a FD type of AV
Batman V Superman : Dawn of Justice 2016
Wonder Woman/Justice League 2017 Movies, WB/DC bring it ON !!
Aertes
Level 3

Postby Aertes » Sun 29 Jun, 2014 9:13 am

That's why I suggested this

Aertes wrote: could also be given as a new option for Purgators, changing two of them to storm bolter and halberd and the third to have this weapon.
Lag
Level 3

Postby Lag » Sun 29 Jun, 2014 9:50 am

Radio the Forest wrote:People always talk about GKs not having a traditional lascannon/beamy/brightlance setup team, but they never seem to mention that all GK AV weapons are also EXTREMELY good vs infantry as well, sure they are expensive, but you get what you pay for.

So what you are saying is they don't have good AV but at least their AV does good infantry damage?
You mean like Stormboyz, Veng Rounds on Havoc, Ven. ASM, Warriors, Banshees, Catachans, Autocannon HWT and a good number of other units? Something we call - soft counters. All these races also have *whoooshhh* haaard counters as well. This topic is about GK missing one and possibly having too many soft counters.
Swift

Postby Swift » Sun 29 Jun, 2014 12:13 pm

I do agree with what Aertes said about replacing the Purgation weapons with storm bolter and halberd and one conversion beamer, but (and I know this is still a long shot) isn't a Dreadknight supposed to be coming along? I know it is on hold because of children and what not but surely if that ever comes out, then we won't need a conversion beamer.
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
Aertes
Level 3

Postby Aertes » Sun 29 Jun, 2014 1:27 pm

I think it will be needed anyway. A Dreadknight is a melee stomper and even if he is brought the GK will still lack a true AV weapon (beyond the just average Vindicare Assassin).

Moreover, I think that a Dreadknight would be better implemented as a global ability that substitudes the Land Raider Crusader, but a new hero to develop it would also be needed. I suggested a Champion of the Brotherhood long ago.
Forestradio
Level 5

Postby Forestradio » Sun 29 Jun, 2014 4:45 pm

Lag wrote:
Radio the Forest wrote:People always talk about GKs not having a traditional lascannon/beamy/brightlance setup team, but they never seem to mention that all GK AV weapons are also EXTREMELY good vs infantry as well, sure they are expensive, but you get what you pay for.

So what you are saying is they don't have good AV but at least their AV does good infantry damage?
You mean like Stormboyz, Veng Rounds on Havoc, Ven. ASM, Warriors, Banshees, Catachans, Autocannon HWT and a good number of other units? Something we call - soft counters. All these races also have *whoooshhh* haaard counters as well. This topic is about GK missing one and possibly having too many soft counters.

No, that's not what I said at all.

GK AV:
Purgation/SS pyscannons: Same dps to infantry that they do to vehicles, except their splash damage makes them better against infantry.

Vindicare Assassin: 2 different kinds of ammo, his AI variant does 190 damage per shot, his AV variant does 130 damage per shot. And he has his own personal buff and you increase his damage further with other stuff like shrouding.

Lasrhino: Hits infantry pretty reliably due to it's splash damage and kills more fragile models such as shoota boyz with every shot

Paladins: Due to heavy_melee modifiers, they do more damage to infantry than vehicles.

That is GK hard AV. Soft AV would be purifiers (with their heavy melee leader and WATH speed buff they can threaten light vehicles) and GK terminators (with a pyscannon+rear armor hits).

Aertes wrote:(beyond the just average Vindicare Assassin).
The VA is only average? Is that why bloodcrushers are complete garbage against a GK player who is on an equal tech footing? Are we playing the same game here?
Aertes
Level 3

Postby Aertes » Sun 29 Jun, 2014 5:44 pm

Bloodcrushers aren't that sturdy. Any AV weapon makes them crap, so that's not the best way of defending how "outstanding" the Vindicare is as anti-vehicle.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Sun 29 Jun, 2014 5:59 pm

Any AV weapon does not make bloodcrushers crap...

It's the range of the VA combined with the inability of chaos to cause knockback on demand/get snipers to counter him that makes him single-handedly make BCs useless vs GK.
Nurland

Postby Nurland » Sun 29 Jun, 2014 6:00 pm

Most AV weapons are unable to hurt infantry as well... And making BC useless requires a bit more than "any AV weapon"
#noobcodex
HandSome SoddiNg
Level 3

Postby HandSome SoddiNg » Mon 30 Jun, 2014 5:14 am

Why didn't they kept VA snare or at least make it an ability to snare Targets ?
Forestradio
Level 5

Postby Forestradio » Mon 30 Jun, 2014 5:40 am

Because it was stupidly broken?
Ace of Swords
Level 5

Postby Ace of Swords » Mon 30 Jun, 2014 1:39 pm

Why lascannons don't have a 100% accuracy against infantry?
HandSome SoddiNg
Level 3

Postby HandSome SoddiNg » Mon 30 Jun, 2014 2:00 pm

Ace of Swords wrote:Why lascannons don't have a 100% accuracy against infantry?

Why can't GK rhino las-cannon hit Vehicles/walkers with 100% accuracy instead of infantry?

Radio the Forest wrote:Because it was stupidly broken?
?

indeed,now there's no traditional Snare to GK hoorah! If the Snare was reduced to an ability ,much better.
Ace of Swords
Level 5

Postby Ace of Swords » Mon 30 Jun, 2014 2:17 pm

Why can't GK rhino las-cannon hit Vehicles/walkers with 100% accuracy instead of infantry?

Because you should learn to micro, that's why.
HandSome SoddiNg
Level 3

Postby HandSome SoddiNg » Mon 30 Jun, 2014 2:30 pm

Ace of Swords wrote:

Been doing that since DOW2 1st release bck in 2009 8-)
Lost Son of Nikhel
Contributor

Postby Lost Son of Nikhel » Mon 30 Jun, 2014 7:30 pm

Ace of Swords wrote:Why lascannons don't have a 100% accuracy against infantry?

New ELITE metagame.
Spam Devastators in T1 -> Turn them into Lasscannons in T2 -> GG WP NO RE

:P
"Pater, peccavi in caelum et coram te; iam non sum dignus vocari filius tuus". Dixit autem pater: "manducemus et epulemur, quia hic filius meus mortuus erat et revixit, perierat et inventus est"

There will be no forgiveness for us.
Raffa
Level 4

Postby Raffa » Tue 01 Jul, 2014 3:57 am

HandSome SoddiNg wrote:
Ace of Swords wrote:

Been doing that since DOW2 1st release bck in 2009 8-)

Don't mean you can micro lol.

On topic: GK AV is much improved and at the very least capable of dealing with vehicle threats without ridiculously disproportionate investment (like before). It is also waaay too early into this patch to draw definitive conculsions.

May revise this, but so far GK are more than holding their own against vehicles.

So bih surprise, I agree with Radio, Ace (and Torpid too).
Sielas
Level 1

Postby Sielas » Fri 04 Jul, 2014 1:13 pm

Lag wrote:You mean like Stormboyz, Veng Rounds on Havoc, Ven. ASM, Warriors, Banshees, Catachans, Autocannon HWT

but all of those units are exceptional at doing something and decent with doing something else as a bonus.
GK units are only painfully average at doing lots of things and not really good at anything in particular
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Sat 05 Jul, 2014 4:41 am

Sielas wrote:
Lag wrote:You mean like Stormboyz, Veng Rounds on Havoc, Ven. ASM, Warriors, Banshees, Catachans, Autocannon HWT

but all of those units are exceptional at doing something and decent with doing something else as a bonus.
GK units are only painfully average at doing lots of things and not really good at anything in particular

Really? Since when?
Sielas
Level 1

Postby Sielas » Sat 05 Jul, 2014 11:37 am

Stormboyz, Banshees ,Autocannon HWT turn any infantry into mincemeat in seconds
Ven. ASM, Warriors are great frontline units
Catachans are great at counterinitiation
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Sat 05 Jul, 2014 2:42 pm

And so do psycannon purgations, they're essentially mini-autocannons. The vindicare pops infantry like a knife through butter.Purifiers tear through infantry too and are better AV than stormboyz are, and likely just as good as shees (similar damage, no crazy speed, but longer melee charge, great support and globals etc).
Sielas
Level 1

Postby Sielas » Sat 05 Jul, 2014 7:43 pm

you're comparing T2 units to T1 units and it's still pretty close, stormboyz even outdamage purifiers

Return to “Balance Discussion”