Warp Spiders - opinions

Issues dealing with gameplay balance.
PhatE
Level 3

Warp Spiders - opinions

Postby PhatE » Sat 14 Jun, 2014 12:45 pm

Hello,

Before anyone jumps on the Eldar hate bandwagon I'd like to say this isn't intended to be a T_T thread.

Since playing the WSE exclusively as of late I've come to really love Warpspiders. Their damage is fantastic and teleporting around is so useful, particularly vs Orks and Tyranids. They don't really ever seem like a bad purchase except for the bleed that you can incur and the upkeep associated with them when you have multiple squads of them.

Having said that I have mixed feelings and thoughts as to whether their damage and utility is something to be considered. They compliment the rest of your army so well that if you've opened up with a shuriken you're more or less covered in the AV department. Perhaps not so much for the Warlock but the WSE and Farseer definitely have some real use for these dudes.

The most I would (as of this moment) consider doing to them is increasing the energy cost on the teleport to something a tad higher but that's only if I HAD to nerf them. I think the tradeoff is nice that they're fragile yet have high DPS.

But that's just me and outsider perspective is more than welcome.
Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/phatness_

Since everyone forgets, my timezone is AEST (UTC/GMT) +10 hours. AEDT is (UTC/GMT) +11 hours. Hopefully no-one tells me what time any tournament is on.
Lag
Level 3

Re: Warp Spiders - opinions

Postby Lag » Sat 14 Jun, 2014 1:09 pm

/Agree.
Ace of Swords
Level 5

Postby Ace of Swords » Sat 14 Jun, 2014 2:19 pm

Warp spiders are perfectly fine, there is no need to touch absolutely anything with them.
Ar-Aamon
Level 3

Postby Ar-Aamon » Sat 14 Jun, 2014 2:21 pm

Agree with Ace.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Sat 14 Jun, 2014 2:27 pm

Yep. I think they're good. A nice solid unit that if bought in the wrong situation can be the doom of you due to that bleed.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
Sub_Zero
Suspended

Postby Sub_Zero » Sat 14 Jun, 2014 3:01 pm

They are a superior anti-melee unit. They can endlessly teleport around (including teleportations to a higher ground, teleportations behind some pathblocker that doesn't block projectiles to furthermore annoy any chasing melee squad). The ability could use a small energy cost increase. This change will force players to use jumps more deliberately. As it stands now you are not too bothered to manage energy properly, especially if your warp spiders have an exarch.
Raffa
Level 4

Postby Raffa » Sat 14 Jun, 2014 3:41 pm

Warp Spiders reinforcement cost is stupendously high for a unit with their hp/model - plasma weapons just melt them in their tight little warpsuits.

However this is counterbalanced by their big damage output and teleport. They have a unique further negative modifier on retreat damage too.

The Exarch ain't got much hp either and stands nicely at the front of the squad to maximise the number of times he dies.

Precision unit, power spikes as you learn to use them better and minimise bleed. In a good spot.
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Sat 14 Jun, 2014 3:46 pm

Raffa wrote:plasma weapons just melt them in their tight little warpsuits.
They are normal infantry...
David-CZ
Contributor

Postby David-CZ » Sat 14 Jun, 2014 4:15 pm

Not totally topic related but I'd like to ask about ways to counter double WS led by WSE with WL or FS. I'm not sure what to do in this situation since vehicles get countered by double haywire nades plus some additional AV (shees usually suffice) and infantry gets melted by the Spiders' high dps. I was thinking Wraith Guards and HWTs but it's not particularly easy with WSE jumping around.
Ace of Swords
Level 5

Postby Ace of Swords » Sat 14 Jun, 2014 5:32 pm

WGs would work well, especially with FS, doom the WSE and it goes down in a couple of seconds.

Or WL+falcon, with your shees babysitting the falcon from his shees, and your WL either controlling the WSE with the ranged stance of the witchblade or chasing around the spiders.
Raffa
Level 4

Postby Raffa » Sat 14 Jun, 2014 7:32 pm

Dark Riku wrote:
Raffa wrote:plasma weapons just melt them in their tight little warpsuits.
They are normal infantry...

Derp.

Tabletop brain on.
Kvek
Level 4

Postby Kvek » Sun 15 Jun, 2014 10:30 am

eldar hate bandwagon still exists ?:o
warpspiders are fine, expect their stupidly-high reinforcement cost, but every eldar unit has that :S

Return to “Balance Discussion”