73%
Static wall
27%

Total votes: 45
Cyris
Level 4

Re: Vote for new Librarian Force Barrier

Postby Cyris » Mon 05 May, 2014 2:39 am

Option 2. Placing a wall is always fun and interesting. The multiple knockbacks fo the current wall would be a bit strong if theu had no channel. To keep the skill interesting and balanced, wall it!
Black Relic
Level 4

Postby Black Relic » Mon 05 May, 2014 5:31 am

^^Think about how it would be on stairs.

The wall would have to cause weapon knockback so retreating units could get through.
Last edited by Black Relic on Mon 05 May, 2014 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"...With every strike of his sword, with every word of his speech, does he reaffirm the ideals of our honored master..." -From the Teachings of Roboute Guilliman as laid down in the Apocrypha of Skaros. Space Marines Codex pg. 54
sk4zi
Level 3

Postby sk4zi » Mon 05 May, 2014 8:39 am

i would perfer option 2. just because its more useful ;)
i suppose it would be static and round?

not all wheapons fire projectiles (lascans etc.) and vehicles allways have been able to pass the barrier so isolating a walker would not be possible.

knock a whole army back is also not bad ;)
and not weaker ;)
appiah4
Level 3

Postby appiah4 » Mon 05 May, 2014 9:45 am

Option 2 is UBER OP. People send their melee units in, you cast force barrier between them and their ranged backup, now you can rape half their army. No thanks.
ALWAYS ANGRY!! ALL THE TIME!!
HandSome SoddiNg
Level 3

Postby HandSome SoddiNg » Mon 05 May, 2014 11:45 am

appiah4 wrote:Option 2 is UBER OP. People send their melee units in, you cast force barrier between them and their ranged backup, now you can rape half their army. No thanks.

Why not? 2 KCSM/2 Sluggaz/Banshees ,their hero can still flank round or jump units
Batman V Superman : Dawn of Justice 2016
Wonder Woman/Justice League 2017 Movies, WB/DC bring it ON !!
Bahamut
Level 4

Postby Bahamut » Mon 05 May, 2014 1:56 pm

How can somebody talk about how balanced an ability will ve without knowing it? What if option 2 only lasted for 1.5 seconds? I'd say it would actually be underpowered. Or if option 1 was set to last 30 seconds? Then It'd be way stronger and even overpowered

Worry about concept and let caeltos worry about balance
L0thar
Level 2

Postby L0thar » Mon 05 May, 2014 2:13 pm

Great, Force Barrier changes!

The first one still seems more flexible, area denial, cap stopping etc. But I can't really decide unless I see the second variant in action.

Are there any videos? I couldn't find anything in the twitch channel.
Tex
Level 4

Postby Tex » Mon 05 May, 2014 6:46 pm

sk4zi wrote:i would perfer option 2. just because its more useful ;)
i suppose it would be static and round?

not all wheapons fire projectiles (lascans etc.) and vehicles allways have been able to pass the barrier so isolating a walker would not be possible.

knock a whole army back is also not bad ;)
and not weaker ;)

How is it not possible to isolate a vehicle? Most walkers are slow as shit and are further slowed by whatever the hell is snaring them (that they are most likely charging towards, thinking they have backup coming to tie up subsidiary AV).

Having an instantly deployable wall that causes knockback would for instance, prevent a unit like raptors or stormboyz from being able to jump on top of a setup team (or secondary AV source), and would further, prevent ranged fire from coming through to support the walker.
Arbit
Level 3

Postby Arbit » Mon 05 May, 2014 10:04 pm

It's hard to decide without knowing more specifics about option 2. The casting range, duration, barrier size, and what exactly gets blocked (infantry, vehicles, gunfire/projectiles) would all dramatically influence how the barrier could be used. A small wall with a decent casting distance that blocked gunfire could be used to shut down suppression and garrisons, a big wall with short casting range and no gunfire/projectile blocking would own melee, etc. It certainly sounds appealing, especially since it presumably would not have problems with models slipping through like the existing barrier does, but in absence of more info I'll go with the known quantity i.e. option 1. In theory the current implementation of force barrier is a very usable ability, it just has that issue of pretty much killing the libby if anything gets around or through the barrier. Not requiring him to channel would remove that drawback and leave us with a useable ability.
My 1v1 map - Imperial Plaza. Revisions are in progress so please check it out and give feedback!
Black Relic
Level 4

Postby Black Relic » Tue 06 May, 2014 5:06 am

Bahamut wrote:How can somebody talk about how balanced an ability will ve without knowing it? What if option 2 only lasted for 1.5 seconds? I'd say it would actually be underpowered. Or if option 1 was set to last 30 seconds? Then It'd be way stronger and even overpowered

Worry about concept and let caeltos worry about balance

I am very sure that the duration (function of the wall) will stay the same in option 1. However it will do just plain weapon knockback with no domino strength. Since I don't think the duration of the ability can be sped up or slowed down unless a modeler (or something) gets in there and makes the change them selves (similar to how the drop pod is).

Like I said, I would be concerned about stairs (concept of option 2). And the duration and length of the wall is also something I would need to look at before I can support it (balance).

Yes, Caeltos main concern is balance but so is ours. I don't want to only look at concept because nothing in this game (as it appears to me) has ever been/worked like that. When he makes an change, and some people are strongly against it, they list legitimate reasons why the change is "unjust" he'll will, in response, look into and perhaps revert the change. Unless you are saying we should wait for the rest of the details about these abilites, I don't agree with your last comment.
"...With every strike of his sword, with every word of his speech, does he reaffirm the ideals of our honored master..." -From the Teachings of Roboute Guilliman as laid down in the Apocrypha of Skaros. Space Marines Codex pg. 54
Barrogh
Level 3

Postby Barrogh » Tue 06 May, 2014 9:21 am

appiah4 wrote:Option 2 is UBER OP. People send their melee units in, you cast force barrier between them and their ranged backup, now you can rape half their army. No thanks.

I'm pretty sure option 1 would do exactly the same for the duration though.
When in mortal danger, when beset by doubt
Run in little circles, wave your hands and shout
HandSome SoddiNg
Level 3

Postby HandSome SoddiNg » Tue 06 May, 2014 11:31 am

So option 1 is Lib cast force barrier in the targeted direction and he's able to roam freely ?
Batman V Superman : Dawn of Justice 2016
Wonder Woman/Justice League 2017 Movies, WB/DC bring it ON !!
Aertes
Level 3

Postby Aertes » Tue 06 May, 2014 11:36 am

More or less, yes. Option 1 is pretty similar to the current one, but the Librarian doesn't have to stand casting the barrier as it expands.

I wonder what animations he would have if that option was implemented.
Swift

Postby Swift » Tue 06 May, 2014 1:20 pm

I know it sounds really powerful, but on the opposite end of the spectrum doing the channelled version before just got him killed. Having said that, I am more likely to face the Librarian than play him, so option 1 will hurt me more.
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
sk4zi
Level 3

Postby sk4zi » Tue 06 May, 2014 5:36 pm

so actually option 2 is what everyone wanted but it was sayed that this is not possible ...

a vehicle was nerver affected by the wall tex. so i suppose also in option 2 a vehicle would just be able to pass it ...
thats what i ment with vehicle isolation is not possible.
but ofc. i dont know how exactly it is ment to be.
but nevermind. both changes are very welcome :)
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Tue 06 May, 2014 5:42 pm

Ty for poll btw. I think the original ability is fine. We all wanted it to just be workable right?
Bahamut
Level 4

Postby Bahamut » Tue 06 May, 2014 7:24 pm

yeah. poll's much better
Last edited by Bahamut on Tue 06 May, 2014 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Commissar Yarrick
Level 3

Postby Commissar Yarrick » Tue 06 May, 2014 7:34 pm

I go definately no with the force field where nothing can pass through from in or out if it goes for vehicles as well.... I can see this being used to trap a vehicle and teleport terminators or whatever melee unit inside along with it.
Magus Magi
Level 2

Postby Magus Magi » Tue 06 May, 2014 8:35 pm

The original wall blocked line of effect for projectiles, movement for infantry, and allowed vehicles to pass through.

I'm assuming that the base mechanic for either iteration of the new forcewall will keep that mechanic. So, I don't think we would need to worry about it being used to trap vehicles.
Broodwich
Level 4

Postby Broodwich » Tue 13 May, 2014 2:03 am

Caeltos: What about adding a speed decrease to the libby for the duration of the spell? I think it might be a bit much to have him running around unhindered after pulling one of those out. Decreased MS was another thought, but hes just too vulnerable to getting ganked once knocked down IMO. Any kind of debuff to simulate him concentrating on making a giant wall that cuts off half an army :)

My 2c
Fas est ab hoste doceri
Ace of Swords
Level 5

Postby Ace of Swords » Tue 13 May, 2014 1:17 pm

Yes let's make him and his abilities even more repulsive to get xD
Freem
Level 1

Postby Freem » Tue 13 May, 2014 1:36 pm

even more? all of his abilities are great and there's not a reason you wouldn't want to get them...(not counting the current barrier, counting the next patch one)
Swift

Postby Swift » Tue 13 May, 2014 3:52 pm

Freem wrote:even more? all of his abilities are great and there's not a reason you wouldn't want to get them...(not counting the current barrier, counting the next patch one)

I think that is what Ace is saying.

I think.

I been known to get things wrong.
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
Broodwich
Level 4

Postby Broodwich » Tue 13 May, 2014 10:00 pm

So making him move half speed during the spell is more repulsive than having him immobile and unable to attack or retreat?

Interesting take
Fas est ab hoste doceri
Ace of Swords
Level 5

Postby Ace of Swords » Tue 13 May, 2014 10:05 pm

Yes, it's quite stupid, he's a melee unit that moves at half speed?

wat.

Previously it was immobile for issues with the barrier itself, it would go crazy if you made him move or retreat out of it.
Broodwich
Level 4

Postby Broodwich » Wed 14 May, 2014 12:05 am

1. He is creating a barrier that will most likely be used to separate a good portion of another army, so once the spell is cast, he will most likely have to be used defensively anyway.

2. He does a good amount of damage with the staff and inspires on kill to boot. Combined with the lessened threat of only half an army or whatever, he can really wreak some havoc while not bleeding and being hard to force off
Fas est ab hoste doceri
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Wed 14 May, 2014 12:39 am

By that logic let's give all the abilities in the game downsides ~~
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Wed 14 May, 2014 1:00 am

You're paying 30power for a practically useless ability and a 10dps boost atm, like, what? Don't you think there is going to be some fairly radical buff in order to make that viable?
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
Broodwich
Level 4

Postby Broodwich » Wed 14 May, 2014 3:46 am

You lost me at practically useless
Fas est ab hoste doceri
sk4zi
Level 3

Postby sk4zi » Wed 14 May, 2014 11:50 am

oh nooo! the libby is gonna become op if one thing is changed ...

word riku.
lets make the weirdby be immobilized (or move at half speed) after he used his stunn. :roll:

Return to “Balance Discussion”