Patch 2.3 Balance changelog

Issues dealing with gameplay balance.
hiveminion
Level 3

Re: Patch 2.3 Balance changelog

Postby hiveminion » Mon 21 Apr, 2014 3:24 pm

Regarding the melee resistance buff for walkers:

I don't think you can argue it should apply to some but not to other walkers. As I understand it this buff will be free and is intended to make walkers more resilient in melee. Withholding it for certain walkers because they are already considered to be overperforming ignores the increased performance of the walkers that the buff WILL affect. Any balance issues with the Deff Dread, Bloodcrusher or Tyrant Guard should be dealt with by addressing those specific issues, not by denying them any across-the-board buffs.

I will make a special case for the Tyrant Guard as I'm a Nid player and so can't speak for the Deff Dread or the Bloodcrusher. The Tyrant Guard is the Tyranids' main response to other t2 walkers. If Dreadnoughts and the like get a melee resistance buff the Tyrant Guard will probably get slaughtered by them in single combat. Same goes for the Carnifex.

Having said that, I don't think giving walkers melee resistance is a good idea, I always thought their vulnerability to heavy melee squads was intended, and prevented melee walkers from waltzing into combat without support.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Mon 21 Apr, 2014 4:06 pm

The tyrant guard hugely overperforms vs walkers as it is. Although somebody still needs to test whether basic synapse actually buffs (it shouldn't, but it may) TGs defensively.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
hiveminion
Level 3

Postby hiveminion » Mon 21 Apr, 2014 6:28 pm

In what way does it overperform? It's cheaper than a Dread for sure, but I think that's because it's super heavy infantry.
Bahamut
Level 4

Postby Bahamut » Mon 21 Apr, 2014 6:29 pm

That Torpid Gamer wrote:The tyrant guard hugely overperforms vs walkers as it is. Although somebody still needs to test whether basic synapse actually buffs (it shouldn't, but it may) TGs defensively.

It should and it does

TG and carnifexes fully benefit from basic syanpse. that means they do get the 20-31% resistance to melee and ranged, but also they lose hp from synapse backslashes
Nurland

Postby Nurland » Mon 21 Apr, 2014 8:25 pm

TG is SHI but it can go shield wall for vehicle armor and insane health regen, so you usually need something fairly hard hitting AV in addition to anti SHI in order to take down a TG. Anyway based on dps and health pools TG should narrowly lose to a SM melee dread and maybe beat a WL 1v1...
#noobcodex
Bahamut
Level 4

Postby Bahamut » Mon 21 Apr, 2014 9:21 pm

remember heavy melee does 50% to vehicle armor and full to SHI, that means the effective dps of a TG is 47.5 against dreads. After 2.3 it will be 28.5
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Mon 21 Apr, 2014 10:11 pm

Bahamut wrote:
That Torpid Gamer wrote:The tyrant guard hugely overperforms vs walkers as it is. Although somebody still needs to test whether basic synapse actually buffs (it shouldn't, but it may) TGs defensively.

It should and it does

TG and carnifexes fully benefit from basic syanpse. that means they do get the 20-31% resistance to melee and ranged, but also they lose hp from synapse backslashes

Why should it? Nowhere does it say that it should (i.e. on the wikis and such). It notes how basic synapse increases the speed of the tyrant guard and that backlash affects TGs and fexes but I've never read that they get the damage resistance, have you checked this in the files?
Wise Windu

Postby Wise Windu » Mon 21 Apr, 2014 10:23 pm

That Torpid Gamer wrote:
Bahamut wrote:

It should and it does

Why should it? Nowhere does it say that it should (i.e. on the wikis and such). It notes how basic synapse increases the speed of the tyrant guard and that backlash affects TGs and fexes but I've never read that they get the damage resistance, have you checked this in the files?

It affects all allied Tyranids that don't have commander or heavy_infantry armor, and also doesn't affect the SL.
Bahamut
Level 4

Postby Bahamut » Mon 21 Apr, 2014 10:24 pm

would be just stupid if they were affected only by the blackslash without the added benefits wouldn't it? and remember you can't repair only heal them at base.

Anway, basic syanpse does affect fexes and TG (but not SL), the only restriction in the files is non hero units wearing heavy armor(so only warriors are excluded) and swarmlord specifically. You can notice the fexes and the TG are under synapse by the green cloud it appears in their heads
Last edited by Bahamut on Tue 22 Apr, 2014 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Tue 22 Apr, 2014 2:39 am

Makes a lot of sense in hindsight.
David-CZ
Contributor

Postby David-CZ » Fri 25 Apr, 2014 2:39 pm

Just so they aren't left out from the patch again, please add the fixed textures for the new units. Either the ones by me http://dawnofwar.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=337 or by Orkfaeller http://dawnofwar.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=679.
sebi.costa
Level 2

Postby sebi.costa » Sat 26 Apr, 2014 5:53 pm

Id love to see some more librarian usage from space marines and grey knights, with all of these change surely will see them more often!
Takadekadaka
Level 2

Postby Takadekadaka » Sat 26 Apr, 2014 6:35 pm

Is there an ETA or an estimate on how much progress 2.3 made?
Steam Name: Takadekadaka
Imperial Guard - Lord Commissar - Level 23 army
Chaos - CL - Level 22 army
Space Marines - Force Commander - Level 2 army
Bahamut
Level 4

Postby Bahamut » Sun 27 Apr, 2014 2:11 am

no consideration about wraithlord with BL or DD having melee resist?
Helios
Level 3

Postby Helios » Sun 27 Apr, 2014 2:49 am

David-CZ wrote:Just so they aren't left out from the patch again, please add the fixed textures for the new units. Either the ones by me http://dawnofwar.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=337 or by Orkfaeller http://dawnofwar.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=679.

What exactly was fixed? I like the look of the DR's, but that skull shoulder on the Exarch practically digs into his chest =/
HandSome SoddiNg
Level 3

Postby HandSome SoddiNg » Sun 27 Apr, 2014 6:09 am

Is 2.3 Releasing Around the Corner now ? Its been weeks long waiting =0
Batman V Superman : Dawn of Justice 2016
Wonder Woman/Justice League 2017 Movies, WB/DC bring it ON !!
David-CZ
Contributor

Postby David-CZ » Sun 27 Apr, 2014 9:23 am

Helios wrote:What exactly was fixed? I like the look of the DR's, but that skull shoulder on the Exarch practically digs into his chest =/

The textures were fixed. Right now if you were to play on low settings you'd end up with black textures on most new models (made by me that is). The new files fix this.

As for the shoulderpad I'm afraid that's something I can't do much about. The model is rigged to DA skeleton. It might as well be a WS skeleton like the rest of the squad, but the result would be the same. Neither model has shoulderpads inmplemented to their animation so what you see is my best attempt to make it work. ELITE could use a skilled animator indeed.
Forestradio
Level 5

Postby Forestradio » Sun 27 Apr, 2014 8:38 pm

Any update on the "Holy Grounds" Paladin ability?

I also don't see why they should be capped at one, especially since their hp regen aura is going away. Two fully upgraded paladins (with specialized weapon) are at least 340 power.
L0thar
Level 2

Postby L0thar » Mon 28 Apr, 2014 9:57 am

I'd like to ask about the termies regen issue (if it was resolved).

Is the regen going to be 1/0,75/1,25 HP/s, like the patch notes indicate, or 10/7,5/12,5 HP/s, like described later on?
sk4zi
Level 3

Postby sk4zi » Mon 28 Apr, 2014 10:42 am

it is the lower number without HP/s and this turns out in the higher numbers with HP/s
L0thar
Level 2

Postby L0thar » Mon 28 Apr, 2014 11:24 am

That's not how basic regeneration works. For armour upgrades etc., you would be right, but not for the base regen.

* Terminator health regeneration from 0.5 to 1.0

This, as written, means the termies health regen is changed from 0,5 HP/s to 1 HP/s. Which directly conflicts with how Caeltos explained it later.
Bahamut
Level 4

Postby Bahamut » Mon 28 Apr, 2014 8:23 pm

L0thar wrote:That's not how basic regeneration works. For armour upgrades etc., you would be right, but not for the base regen.

* Terminator health regeneration from 0.5 to 1.0

This, as written, means the termies health regen is changed from 0,5 HP/s to 1 HP/s. Which directly conflicts with how Caeltos explained it later.

surely, 30 hp per minute (half an hp per second) does not justify a full 2minutes increase on the call-in and a 10% damage nerf
L0thar
Level 2

Postby L0thar » Tue 29 Apr, 2014 12:38 pm

Bahamut wrote:surely, 30 hp per minute (half an hp per second) does not justify a full 2minutes increase on the call-in and a 10% damage nerf

One would hope so, but then again, it suddenly went from 2x increase to 20x.
Barrogh
Level 3

Postby Barrogh » Tue 29 Apr, 2014 1:53 pm

Knowing full well that devs read these boards it's weird to see no clarifications. It's like Caeltos & co suddenly realized that they have no idea what they want from termies :P
When in mortal danger, when beset by doubt
Run in little circles, wave your hands and shout
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Tue 29 Apr, 2014 2:22 pm

Barrogh wrote:Knowing full well that devs read these boards it's weird to see no clarifications. It's like Caeltos & co suddenly realized that they have no idea what they want from termies :P

That, or they treat us like lab rats. Watching us squirm and bicker trying to gain the vast amount of knowledge that They themselves have.
Caeltos

Postby Caeltos » Tue 29 Apr, 2014 4:06 pm

Don't worry, I know exactly what I'm doing.

I think.
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Tue 29 Apr, 2014 6:47 pm

crazyman64335
Shoutcaster

Postby crazyman64335 » Tue 29 Apr, 2014 7:30 pm

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ Will trade dongers for patch! ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
sebi.costa
Level 2

Postby sebi.costa » Tue 29 Apr, 2014 10:16 pm

700rec and 180power for a landraider redeemer that can be deployed anywhere on the map, has a barrage witch damages and knocks back incoming enemy infantry, cant get rear armor penalty, allies can retreat to it and reinforce they get health regen and 25% damage resistance and can get inside to avoid nukes!

Thats way, way too cheap for such utility!

Baneblade for instance needs build time and to make its way from base to the battlefield, ya its getting an increase damage but it looses health! and its 1000rec and 200power and it gets rear armor penalty!

Why does the landraider have such a cheap price and so many bonuses!?!
Swift

Postby Swift » Tue 29 Apr, 2014 10:34 pm

sebi.costa wrote:700rec and 180power for a landraider redeemer that can be deployed anywhere on the map, has a barrage witch damages and knocks back incoming enemy infantry, cant get rear armor penalty, allies can retreat to it and reinforce they get health regen and 25% damage resistance and can get inside to avoid nukes!

Thats way, way too cheap for such utility!

Baneblade for instance needs build time and to make its way from base to the battlefield, ya its getting an increase damage but it looses health! and its 1000rec and 200power and it gets rear armor penalty!

Why does the landraider have such a cheap price and so many bonuses!?!

I know what you mean, it seems odd at first, but the Redeemer for a start, cannot be deployed via deep strike, only the Crusader. Also, it does considerably less than daddy Baneblade, which is a hug consideration. It also has a longer build time. I think you are getting the Redeemer and Crusader and combining them to make the uber Anti infantry Land Raider.
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.

Return to “Balance Discussion”