Issues dealing with gameplay balance.
LadderGoat
Level 0

(Suggestion) Revive XP and Apothecary tweaks

Postby LadderGoat » Fri 16 Aug, 2019 8:51 am

Hello Chaps and Chappettes (I realise that's not a word),

Just wondered what your thoughts were on the following points:-

Commander XP tweaks:

- I was thinking that perhaps the XP gained for reviving allies should be completely removed? or at least drastically reduced? I think it's way too much of a bonus personally for reviving an allied commander.

- I think that the XP for killing an enemy commander should be what grants you a fairly hefty XP boost.

- I'm a bit wary that this could pose an unfair advantage for heroes that are particularly good at killing heros over, say, support heroes. Perhaps the XP gained for reviving can remain on some of the "Support" type heroes?

- Another suggestion was to potentially debuff the fallen commander for a period of time or even a slight xp loss but I worry that might make it too much of a punish, particularly if the player is losing already.

SM Tweaks:

- Just a couple of small things here, quite controversial really. I don't think the Techmarine should have gotten that Melee option. I actually think what needs to happen is a buff for the Apothecary axe and the Apo should have been granted the energy shield.

- I think an energy shield for the Apothecary could work, I also think the damage of the Axe needs to increase as it's so slow.

- Perhaps the Axe could be buffed in the form of providing the apothecary some sort of knockback resistance? For me the obvious choice seems to be the storm bolter and that makes me sad :(

Sorry about the essay, keen to hear what people think.

Cheers,
Richard
Impregnable
Level 4

Re: (Suggestion) Revive XP and Apothecary tweaks

Postby Impregnable » Fri 16 Aug, 2019 10:38 am

I stated this many times over and over but since not all new people know about these balancing principles, I got to remind them.
- 1v1 takes absolute priority over team games in balancing. Team game and 1v1 both share same units, factions and skills etc. There is no way to change for one mode of game and not affect the other cause all of aspects are shared. Elite Mod is a 1v1 balance mod. When a change for balance is made, it should be due to 1v1 reasons not teams. Team game related change can only be done if the change has either little or no impact on 1v1. Hero revival EXP has 0 impact on 1v1 so can be discussed purely on team game terms. Units that are largely not seen or are very niche in 1v1 can be discussed in team game terms cause changing them has minimal impact on 1v1. Any other cases that are not like former two, cannot be touched for team game reasons.
"Excalibur!"
"Excalibur!"
"From the United Kingdom!"
"I'm looking for heaven!"
"I'm going to California!"
"Excalibur!"
"Excalibur!"
LadderGoat
Level 0

Postby LadderGoat » Fri 16 Aug, 2019 11:09 am

Hi Impregnable, thanks for the reply.

I feel that the suggestions I've made do follow the two cases that you've outlined, do you disagree?

Like you mentioned, the revival XP tweaks have no impact on 1 vs 1 and "buffing" the commander kill XP reward also has a positive impact in my mind.

I feel that the Apothecary tweaks would be a good way of changing his meta/dynamic a little in 1 vs 1? I guess I'm just trying to find reasons for Apo users to really use the axe and I feel like it could use a little help. The Storm Bolter seems like too much of an obvious choice at the moment, I also don't see many people going for the T1 Apo armour (can't remember its name).

Cheers.
Impregnable
Level 4

Postby Impregnable » Fri 16 Aug, 2019 11:34 am

LadderGoat wrote:Hi Impregnable, thanks for the reply.

I feel that the suggestions I've made do follow the two cases that you've outlined, do you disagree?

Like you mentioned, the revival XP tweaks have no impact on 1 vs 1 and "buffing" the commander kill XP reward also has a positive impact in my mind.

I feel that the Apothecary tweaks would be a good way of changing his meta/dynamic a little in 1 vs 1? I guess I'm just trying to find reasons for Apo users to really use the axe and I feel like it could use a little help. The Storm Bolter seems like too much of an obvious choice at the moment, I also don't see many people going for the T1 Apo armour (can't remember its name).

Cheers.

Was just giving a reminder because I saw your comment on Faction Wars vid on Indrid Cast. Thus, had to check whether you are basing your suggestion on team game observations. I don't know whether this is intentional ignoring of principles or not knowing of it but there are a ton of comments on Indrid Cast that say OP this UP that. And what vid they comment on? Faction War or 3v3. It is down right wrong to come to a game that purely balance on 1v1 and say it is unbalanced in teams.

As long as you are aware of balancing principles that I mention of, any suggestions are welcome though not all will be accepted.
"Excalibur!"
"Excalibur!"
"From the United Kingdom!"
"I'm looking for heaven!"
"I'm going to California!"
"Excalibur!"
"Excalibur!"
Schepp himself
Level 3

Postby Schepp himself » Sat 31 Aug, 2019 11:59 am

LadderGoat wrote:Hello Chaps and Chappettes (I realise that's not a word),

Just wondered what your thoughts were on the following points:-

Commander XP tweaks:

- I was thinking that perhaps the XP gained for reviving allies should be completely removed? or at least drastically reduced? I think it's way too much of a bonus personally for reviving an allied commander.

- I think that the XP for killing an enemy commander should be what grants you a fairly hefty XP boost.

- I'm a bit wary that this could pose an unfair advantage for heroes that are particularly good at killing heros over, say, support heroes. Perhaps the XP gained for reviving can remain on some of the "Support" type heroes?

- Another suggestion was to potentially debuff the fallen commander for a period of time or even a slight xp loss but I worry that might make it too much of a punish, particularly if the player is losing already.

My feeling towards these changes are: if it's not broke, don't fix it. the only thing slightly OP was, iirc, the spirit stones of the farseer and this got fixed in the past.

LadderGoat wrote:
SM Tweaks:

- Just a couple of small things here, quite controversial really. I don't think the Techmarine should have gotten that Melee option. I actually think what needs to happen is a buff for the Apothecary axe and the Apo should have been granted the energy shield.

- I think an energy shield for the Apothecary could work, I also think the damage of the Axe needs to increase as it's so slow.

- Perhaps the Axe could be buffed in the form of providing the apothecary some sort of knockback resistance? For me the obvious choice seems to be the storm bolter and that makes me sad :(

Sorry about the essay, keen to hear what people think.

Cheers,
Richard

First off I would be interested why you feel the above points are unbalanced. I don't have the feeling that one weapon gets taken all the time for example.

To throw in my two cents about the Apo because I thought about the so called weakest hero at the moment the other day (and luckily found your thread):

The first Global of the Apo is...underwhelming and gets more and more interesting in 3v3s. To stay within character of the Apo and to bring this Global on par with the globals of other heroes I suggest that you can trigger it and for 10seconds you get some requisition back for your killed units. This could reduce bleed for the apo which is a problem for the SM and makes sense that the Apo is good in preventing bleed (in form of preventing loss of gene-seed).

There was a similar mechanic in Company of Heroes (and infamously in Company of Heroes online) where wiped units got replaced at base which was interesting, but pretty stupid because you just kamikaze'd your units into the enemy very well aware that you don't get any losses (but had to lose the whole squad to get the squad back). It would make me uneasy to see SM behave that way so I suggested only a partly repay (for example the amout of red in req).

Greets
Schepp himself
Greets schep himself thingy
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Sun 01 Sep, 2019 12:49 am

Yeah, the FS spirit stone change was entirely a 3v3 one. A debuff on ressurect could be interesting. Don't know how often the revive-train starts in teams though so idk.

Welcome to the forums either way!

Return to “Balance Discussion”