Free Ripper Swarm--> 75 Req

Issues dealing with gameplay balance.
Element
Level 3

Free Ripper Swarm--> 75 Req

Postby Element » Sun 17 Mar, 2019 4:46 pm

This post is rather simple. That being said, I can't necessarily be in favour of a free costed unit coming out of infestation towers with the means to freely generate a swarms which in vice versa have the means to tie up your entire ranged force and essentially almost auto win each engagement, especially when you do so with 3 of them; and before people say just take out the towers, It's not like you can't easily mass them in in your base, upon the outskirts, just around the map in areas which see little to no activity, upon which just drawing a unit out there to take it out is a strategic almost blunder given other pressing priorities which need to be that of addressed as opposed to taking down one onfestation tower which will be able to be bought back after one long running skirmish/Full- Fledged engagement. My suggestion would just be to make them 75 req to turn out each time, so that they can't just be overwhelmingly spammed in the mid tiers where massing requisition for tyranids is of the utmost concern to buy out their 400 req costed T2 Units, and 500+ Req costed T3 Units.
"The meaning of life is to have purpose, and the purpose of life is what you choose to make of it, in addition to what you come to understand along the way."

"Because I choose to."

"The humble person knows not everything, nor nothing at all, but certainly something worth knowing."
hiveminion
Level 3

Re: Free Ripper Swarm--> 75 Req

Postby hiveminion » Sun 17 Mar, 2019 5:04 pm

Rippers should just go back to their previous incarnation.
OceansAteAlaska
Level 2

Postby OceansAteAlaska » Sun 17 Mar, 2019 6:35 pm

i agree that the new ripper mechanic is very annoying.
boss
Level 3

Postby boss » Sun 17 Mar, 2019 11:10 pm

What Hiveminion said there no reason for the new rippers other than just to spam dumb reason to change a unit.
Forums great more stuff to talk about.
Telos
Level 2

Postby Telos » Mon 18 Mar, 2019 6:46 am

As much as I enjoy rippers seeing more play, I think I have to agree that it's a little too easy to get multiple rippers out and ensure your melee blob can close in.

Maybe change them back to costing req but slightly less to be more appealing?

Or what about making them a flat 60 power to produce instead? Nid players can drop that kind of power in T2 without batting an eyelash, but if you're paying 120 (2 rippers) then that's a significant investment that will delay your T3/fexes not to mention other T2 units like zoans. You could still do it, but it's more of a strategic choice rather than the obvious "drop this red I probably won't use anyway" decision.

Not sure what the answer is, but if it's a changing the red cost then 75 red might still be too low. But any higher and and it's really a decision to get even one...
hiveminion
Level 3

Postby hiveminion » Mon 18 Mar, 2019 7:28 am

60 power for rippers? That is a terrible idea.

In their old version they were a solid pick, I don't know why people didn't use them more. 100 req was a fair price.
Telos
Level 2

Postby Telos » Mon 18 Mar, 2019 8:03 am

hiveminion wrote:60 power for rippers? That is a terrible idea.

In their old version they were a solid pick, I don't know why people didn't use them more. 100 req was a fair price.

Sure, just throwing out ideas since power income isn't really a big deal for nids in T2 done right. Not sure why you find it such a terrible idea, it has clear drawbacks to get out a useful unit. It could be lower but 60 makes it a bigger choice whether to get out more than 1 squad.

Can't speak for others but even if 100 req is fair, there's other things I'd rather get with that income (or reinforce bled units) so getting rippers just didn't seem as good of an idea. There's been a lot of changes to nids and upkeep in general so maybe that's changed, but it's obvious from 2.9 that nid players didn't find them to be a good investment at that time.
PhatE
Level 3

Postby PhatE » Mon 18 Mar, 2019 11:44 am

What do they do now?
Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/phatness_

Since everyone forgets, my timezone is AEST (UTC/GMT) +10 hours. AEDT is (UTC/GMT) +11 hours. Hopefully no-one tells me what time any tournament is on.
Nurland

Postby Nurland » Mon 18 Mar, 2019 12:26 pm

Can you explain what "done right" means?
#noobcodex
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Mon 18 Mar, 2019 7:17 pm

Do Rippers give red to the player who owns them still? I think I disabled that but I can't remember.

Also it's not "free" per se but it costs 35 red. So 35 red for the tower and 35 for the squad, then another 35 red for every next ripper squad.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Mon 18 Mar, 2019 8:19 pm

hiveminion wrote:60 power for rippers? That is a terrible idea.

Yeah they were definitely a solid pick. The ripper changes weren't done to make them stronger or weaker, rather just to change how they actually function in terms of design becaue previously them being so massive resilient to piercing dps whilst being very weak to AoE/melee make them obnoxious and un-fun to fight against.

The idea currently is that the thematic swarmy nature of them makes them fun to use and fun to play against, especially because now they respond to focus fire more like a normal squad rather than having this mythical tier of protection against piercing...

I've also yet to see them perform stronger than the previous rippers would have in a game yet, so I am not convinced this is a balance problem, insofar as it even is a problem at all.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Mon 18 Mar, 2019 8:21 pm

Atlas wrote:Do Rippers give red to the player who owns them still? I think I disabled that but I can't remember.

Also it's not "free" per se but it costs 35 red. So 35 red for the tower and 35 for the squad, then another 35 red for every next ripper squad.

Well they did in initial testing, no idea if they do right now as I've not been playing nids enough however them giving back 15 red to the player that bought them is intentional as per my own mathematics. The current rippers are so weak I personally would't want to pay more than 20 net red for them.
boss
Level 3

Postby boss » Tue 19 Mar, 2019 9:40 pm

Rippers should never have been change no one wanted it said by people plenty of times, you buy them to be a pest before, now you just buy them to spam them cos why not great reason to change them.

This is why I meant in my other posts about how changes get done, needs to be more diffent so the crap ones get kick before they even make it on the change logs .
Forums great more stuff to talk about.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Wed 20 Mar, 2019 2:49 am

boss wrote:Rippers should never have been change no one wanted it said by people plenty of times, you buy them to be a pest before, now you just buy them to spam them cos why not great reason to change them.

This is why I meant in my other posts about how changes get done, needs to be more different so the crap ones get kick before they even make it on the change logs .

Plenty of people wanted it; it's fun and thematic. I know plenty of people who are happy with it in its current state. And the change wasn't just a random thing thrown in via the backdoor - it has transparently been there for ages throughout multiple beta patches with a fair bit of playtesting.
oLev
Level 2

Postby oLev » Thu 21 Mar, 2019 10:58 am

We have not even begun to perfect ripper abuse, save your tears for then. :twisted:

Return to “Balance Discussion”