Small idea for SS

Issues dealing with gameplay balance.
Companyofheroes
Level 0

Small idea for SS

Postby Companyofheroes » Fri 12 Oct, 2018 9:05 pm

Before I begin, this has always been such a great mod and great community, so great job everyone!

I'm sure everybody has racked their brains over OM balance time and time again, so I guess I'll try a little too.

SS doesn't seem to scale very well, and they also have expensive upkeep to keep around in T2/3. I felt the psycannon upgrade helped back in the day.
Anyhow, I'd rather share a hopefully newer idea.

In the same way that Tacs can be upgraded to Sternguard, ASM to Vanguard, CSM to Khrone/Tzeentch, may be we can do something similar so that SS can be upgraded to ?Purifiers/etc. (someone can help me here). I just want to see more return for my investment if I'm going the SS route in my build.

If this has been proposed before, oops.
Atlas

Re: Small idea for SS

Postby Atlas » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 8:45 am

Technically? Yes, we could. It would utilize the same mechanics as the Sterns currently do.

Is it a good idea? I'll let any other commentators decide. But the idea was once thrown around like 3-4 patches back. Iirc, that ended with the changes they have now instead. But maybe!
Toilailee
Champion

Postby Toilailee » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 9:20 am

At this point I think it would be better to give SS a krak grenade for scaling and some AV. Move it from interceptors to SS maybe.
Swift I: You're not a nerd, you're just a very gifted social spastic
boss
Level 3

Postby boss » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 4:41 pm

Well first we need a balance lead since we don't have one then a new patch that you won't be sick on.
Forums great more stuff to talk about.
Sex - Murder - Art
Level 2

Postby Sex - Murder - Art » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 11:27 am

According to my observation; SS melee upgrade is kind of a no brainer, but ranged upgrade is very UP. The accuracy debuff on hit is not worth it. You need to be heavy hitting when it comes to T2 and later. They just don't payoff.

I would like to see a ranged weapon upgrade that is heavy hitting. GK ranged arsenal is pretty much high passive damage, but no heavy bursts to kill anything. In short; if you stay in GK range too long, you will die. Maybe this trait can stay, Inteceptors also have the same trait, and it works really good.

SS ranged weapon problem is something about Purgation in T2. Purgation is a mid ground between anti-infantry and anti-vehicle that doesn't pay off for both things. Maybe SS should be the anti-infantry thing in T2 and Purgation should be anti-vehichle thing in T2. Important thing is that their differences shouldn't be hollow. GK ranged arsenal is a little bit of everything that counters-anything-but-not-at-all or something.
There are many ways to say the right thing, and I choose the worst way to say it.
LOCALgHOST
Level 3

Postby LOCALgHOST » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 11:57 am

Sex - Murder - Art wrote:According to my observation; SS melee upgrade is kind of a no brainer, but ranged upgrade is very UP. The accuracy debuff on hit is not worth it. You need to be heavy hitting when it comes to T2 and later. They just don't payoff.

I would like to see a ranged weapon upgrade that is heavy hitting. GK ranged arsenal is pretty much high passive damage, but no heavy bursts to kill anything. In short; if you stay in GK range too long, you will die. Maybe this trait can stay, Inteceptors also have the same trait, and it works really good.

SS ranged weapon problem is something about Purgation in T2. Purgation is a mid ground between anti-infantry and anti-vehicle that doesn't pay off for both things. Maybe SS should be the anti-infantry thing in T2 and Purgation should be anti-vehichle thing in T2. Important thing is that their differences shouldn't be hollow. GK ranged arsenal is a little bit of everything that counters-anything-but-not-at-all or something.

melee is just a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better now.
Maybe ranged upgrade need some AOE love :)
and I also never go purg upgrade
Sex - Murder - Art
Level 2

Postby Sex - Murder - Art » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 1:13 pm

LOCALgHOST wrote:melee is just a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better now.
Maybe ranged upgrade need some AOE love :)
and I also never go purg upgrade

I don't think aoe can solve anything for GK like that. We did that before a lot of times, and still had to change it. And remember, aoe things are not heavy hitters. GK needs some heavy ranged hitters.

Imo, SS should get a good anti-infantry weapon in T2. Inferno damage type may do it since their Sergant still does plasma damage, if I am not wrong, right? If not, give them a good plasma type weapon. And Purgation can have something that has low accuracy vs infantry but can hit vehicles and Terminators, like an actual AV weapons behavior.
There are many ways to say the right thing, and I choose the worst way to say it.

Return to “Balance Discussion”