2.9 Beta 1 - Preview changelog

Issues dealing with gameplay balance.
Black Relic
Level 4

Re: 2.9 Beta 1 - Preview changelog

Postby Black Relic » Fri 17 Aug, 2018 8:57 am

Raveners will lose their burrow ability and their jump I believe if they get their dedicated range option.

As for the whirlwind

It will never be purchased much at all. Even in team games imo.

Whirldwind's main problem was its disruption on the entire army every 10 seconds. Completely hindering a armies back lines for 3 or so seconds cutting their dps by ALOT. Since in team games most of the time you are hitting two armies' backline support making the whirlwind an effective purchase.

I think this is what should happen.

3 volleys, each volley has 2 missiles. Time between each volley is 3-3.5 seconds. Reload time stays the same. Missile speed decreased slightly and accuracy is increased to more effectively hit a unit that is standing still. Increase range slightly by 5.

This would make the whirlwind not disrupt entire armies but better an constantly harassing a key/dangerous range or possibly melee unit so long as that melee unit is being controlled so the missiles can actually hit their target. Range units would be pressured to move and could still dodge the incoming missiles but they would lower their dps since their accuracy would also go down and only units that have 100%FotM would be unaffected. The only way the whirlwind actually hit multiple squad effectively is if they are constantly being blobbed up.

The few games I have played vs a friend in 1v1 with this implementation in my mod has drastically increased its reliability and made it pretty hard to deal with and slightly annoying. Which imo is the goal of the unit. In fact this implementation of the whirlwind and a Pdevs is hell on everything from my experience. But take what I said with a grain of salt.
"...With every strike of his sword, with every word of his speech, does he reaffirm the ideals of our honored master..." -From the Teachings of Roboute Guilliman as laid down in the Apocrypha of Skaros. Space Marines Codex pg. 54
lomors
Level 2

Postby lomors » Fri 17 Aug, 2018 11:45 am

I'm on vacation and can't really comment on everything so I'll try to make it short.
First - it's beta 2.9. Nothing happened yet and flooding thread with "pls go away" posts I think is silly. That said when I got a look on few changes I really got scared.

1# storm nerf...... I just lack words. I said it many times since the nerf came to 100. You can't expect going 200-> to 100 without major outcry. As for me nobody aside from the cases when it bugs out seemed unhappy with how it works now. Going back and forth on this matter is driving everyone crazy. Please let it play a little bit on 150 and if anything I propose small changes rather than big ones. Specially in things that really are working right now!
Same applies to almost everything. Actually I feel like we managed to get some decent balance with recent patch and proposed changes are gonna actually destroy the whole achieved consensus. I wanted nerfs for rangers as they clearly overperformed. Why they overperformed? Because for one year of patches they were nerfed to the ground. Nefing them to the ground once again will erease them from builds for another year until someone notices it and makes them OP again. FFS really why nobody notices how bad are changes like this..
Warlock changes all seem so out of place for me I lack even words.. MWB was nerfed signifactly over the many years and with latest patches I find myself buying it rarely as witchblade is such a good power malee.
50->25% change? Jeez.. Once again, nobody complained about it (though it's the only change for warlock I don't find totally out of place). And once again: I get that you wanna nerf warlock but please, do so in small gradual changes. We really reached some good balancing with later patches I feel like. If we were to accept that at least few things in game are balanced and move on to talking about things like a new weapon for sorc which everyone ignored as everyone was so busy with balance...

There are many things I wish I could talk about but I won't be at home for next 3 weeks so I just hope all these changes won't happen until next month. I always was kinda confused about upkeep and things like this so until I do my research on it I will let smarter people talk about it. One change I actually love is jump pack for FC. I thought of it for ages actually but didn't have idea someone might find it feasible. I think it's a good way to tune down slightly telehammer build while giving FC something cool as well. The big question is the knockback though.
lomors
Level 2

Postby lomors » Fri 17 Aug, 2018 11:58 am

Another big thing is WW: don't nerf it to the ground unless you wanna erease it from the game until people forget how badly it was nerfed. It's not even a question of if all the changes are meant to happen or not. It's a more psychological thing. If you nerf something so much people stop buying it hence less viable balance info hence unnecessary super buffs in future. You guys are so oblivious to this fact I seriously don't know what to say.. And it's not just a thing with this patch. It happened many times earlier. The last patch even though it wasn't really a perfect one was a first one which I felt like was a step in the right direction. We could really focus on things like new weapon for sorc while accepting the fact that if something works fine maybe it shouldn't be moved.

In terms of WW: pick one thing to nerf. Wanna nerf it's AV? Lower the damage. Not remove it. See how it works. Then next patch think on what comes next. One thing I feel like should be nerfed regardless of what you intend to do is speed nerf. It's really moving too fast for an artillery unit.
SarDauk
Level 2

Postby SarDauk » Fri 17 Aug, 2018 12:21 pm

With the league atm, the 2.9 should use it as a spotlight for the balance; currently IG seems to overperform while nids struggle. The other races seems fine (mb SM slightly too good tho). Also OM needs fixing, but you've made interesting changes for it.
"Drive me closer! I want to hit them with my sword!"
Impregnable
Level 4

Postby Impregnable » Sat 18 Aug, 2018 1:06 am

SarDauk wrote:With the league atm, the 2.9 should use it as a spotlight for the balance; currently IG seems to overperform while nids struggle. The other races seems fine (mb SM slightly too good tho). Also OM needs fixing, but you've made interesting changes for it.

Yeah, we should make the most out of the league and by no means rush this patch.
"Excalibur!"
"Excalibur!"
"From the United Kingdom!"
"I'm looking for heaven!"
"I'm going to California!"
"Excalibur!"
"Excalibur!"
TE | NoSkill
Level 3

Postby TE | NoSkill » Sun 19 Aug, 2018 5:54 pm

I´d reduce health of Leman russes to 1000.

1200 is really massive and particularly an problem for factions without long-range snare
The_Corniflox
Level 1

Postby The_Corniflox » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 4:25 pm

To add my 2 cents to the patch discussion:

I pretty much agree with Riku about everything he said. I feel like it would be better to adress singular problems and not try to change lots of things at once. Let's be serious - nobody plays this game because he/she desires a perfectly balanced RTS, there's starcraft for that. Sure, improving balance is always great, but with such a small community where extensive playtesting is impossible, I think it's better to only fix what is actually broken.

Some stuff I just don't get:
- Swapping the FC's teleporter for a jump pack: is that a buff or a nerf? Or wha exactly is the reason behind that change? I guess the jump pack looks cooler? I feel like the teleporter is a very good wargear, but it is also quite expensive, I think it is fine. It got hit by the thunder hammer nerfs too.
- Buffing Leman Russ: I think the Leman Russ is very very good, instead of buffing it we should maybe take a look at buffing the Predator?
- Decreasing Loota range: That's a really hard hit and quite unnecessary I feel like. I do like the red cost on Hide da Gunz, although 15 red may be a bit too much. Also, what about buffing Stormboyz so Lootaz don't dominate the meta so much? Maybe a slight hp buff to storms, or a decreased reinforcement cost.
twitch.tv/corni_flox

really really rusty right now :D
TE | NoSkill
Level 3

Postby TE | NoSkill » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 12:55 pm

So how would the Predator be buffed?

It is an light tank, unlike the Russ, so more hp is kinda twitchy
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Mon 27 Aug, 2018 3:15 am

Drop Pod cost changed from 300/0/100 to 350/0/75.
Drop Pod breaks up on impact (still deals damage / knockback) and no longer reinforces.

That's a triple nerf. You lose the reinforce point, it's more expensive and there's no more green cover with the Drop Pod gone. This is excessive and I'm still not convinced that it's overpowered to begin with.
kirbby
Level 1

Postby kirbby » Mon 27 Aug, 2018 6:04 am

Paranoid Kamikaze wrote:Drop Pod cost changed from 300/0/100 to 350/0/75.
Drop Pod breaks up on impact (still deals damage / knockback) and no longer reinforces.

That's a triple nerf. You lose the reinforce point, it's more expensive and there's no more green cover with the Drop Pod gone. This is excessive and I'm still not convinced that it's overpowered to begin with.

i agree this doesnt make sense, very good point paranoid kamakaze . that basically makes this global useless. this is also one of strange things i see recently that players complain drop pods
boss
Level 3

Postby boss » Mon 10 Sep, 2018 7:16 pm

Well I won't bother installing 2.9 its a crap patch, most of the changes are made by clowns who have no idea about balance just random shit for no reason undoing all the work so far such a step back.

I miss the old days when changes get put on the forums for people to talk about, rage about but least it was properly done for all to have a say what they think it why we have the fucking forums for not make a joke balance discord (BALANCE) aka put a change up and it gets put in the log hence why this patch so fucking random.
Forums great more stuff to talk about.
egewithin
Level 5

Postby egewithin » Mon 10 Sep, 2018 7:23 pm

This patch is full of shit. Just some random ass changes without anyone asking for it.

A huge fucking failure.
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Tue 11 Sep, 2018 7:37 am

Did I miss the part where a patch got released yesterday or something?
boss
Level 3

Postby boss » Tue 11 Sep, 2018 8:34 am

Atlas wrote:Did I miss the part where a patch got released yesterday or something?

Thank god no otherwise mod would already be dead
Xen0tech
Level 1

Postby Xen0tech » Tue 11 Sep, 2018 4:07 pm

If something ain't broke don't try to fix it. So many random unnecessary changes. Why are you increasing all this upkeep? I don't understand why rangers are getting nerfed again who is calling for that? Now they will not even 1 shot a heretic what a joke.
Toilailee
Champion

Postby Toilailee » Tue 11 Sep, 2018 4:57 pm

Xen0tech wrote:I don't understand why rangers are getting nerfed again who is calling for that? Now they will not even 1 shot a heretic what a joke.

https://dawnofwar.info/esl/match/35016953
Swift I: You're not a nerd, you're just a very gifted social spastic
Xen0tech
Level 1

Postby Xen0tech » Wed 12 Sep, 2018 1:39 am

Ty Toilailee I'll check out the replay.
Adeptus Noobus
Level 4

Postby Adeptus Noobus » Fri 21 Sep, 2018 1:25 am

holy shit that replay

is there any more work happening on the mod?
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Sat 22 Sep, 2018 2:48 am

Yes?

We'll keep you posted.
boss
Level 3

Postby boss » Sun 23 Sep, 2018 6:47 pm

Atlas wrote:Yes?

We'll keep you posted.

I hope that means you redo the patch notes from start and not put random shit in otherwise don't bother with 2.9.
hatwearer
Level 1

Postby hatwearer » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 5:17 pm

Cyris wrote:2.9 - Beta 1
Zoanthrope:
Upkeep increased from 2.55 to 3.825.
T3 upgrade (50/15) replaces Warp Blast with Symbiosis ability.

Symbiosis -
“Target an allied Tyranid and heal them for up to 30% of their max health over 10 seconds. The Zoanthrope is immobile while channeling the ability. Range 30, 60 second cooldown. Energy cost set to 50.”

PSYCHIC SEAHORSE MAINTENANCE MEGACORPORATION HYPE

Last edited by hatwearer on Sat 20 Oct, 2018 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
BUFF NIDS... THEY NEED TO BE FREAKIN' JACKED
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 10:30 pm

+1 would put that model in.

Keep in mind that I plan to do a stream of putting some balance changes in action on October 20th unless the community says do it later!

Return to “Balance Discussion”