Tyrant Guard slighlty too durable?

Issues dealing with gameplay balance.
Element
Level 3

Tyrant Guard slighlty too durable?

Postby Element » Sat 12 May, 2018 5:17 pm

Hey there everyone, this is the last thread I will be most likely posting for a little while unless something egregious makes its way into one of my games to where I have to address it, however i would like to talk about the Tyrant Guard 400/60 12 pop 45s . super heavy armor 2500 hp.

Now personally I think this is a fine unit. It doesn't do too much damage nor to little. It can tie up units well and when it hits the field it usually has an impact that can be felt. The counters which exist in the game are well capable of dealing with the unit and otherwise being able to pressure it and perhaps kill it given it is left unsupported...That being said. It takes quite a while to actually place the unit in a position where it needs to worry about its survivability especially when it has full health going into a full scale engagment at which point its practically an off limits squad because of how long it will take to actually kill it.

Personally I think it's just slightly too durable. It can easily hold up an entire army while while the tyranid player focuses down any counters to the unit to which it will have quite a bit of health to spare so as to not even have to necessarily back off and go heal itself because its healthpool is so large. Don't misunderstand I know that essentially small arms fire can damage it but realistically speaking you will be there for a long time if you don't have the proper counter measures. I think the tyranid player should actually have to worry about the tyrant guards health actually coming to be too low if it stays too long in engagement as right now there is really no faction that can sustain their field postion as long as this unit has the ability to reliably push you away without taking some considerable manner of respective health loss which may jeopardize the units safety.

I personally propose we just lower the health of the unit by 200 so that its not too durable nor not enough for as of the moment just spamming this unit really is a reliable strategy.
"The meaning of life is to have purpose, and the purpose of life is what you choose to make of it, in addition to what you come to understand along the way."

"Because I choose to."

"The humble person knows not everything, nor nothing at all, but certainly something worth knowing."
HUNTER
Level 1

Re: Tyrant Guard slighlty too durable?

Postby HUNTER » Sat 12 May, 2018 5:53 pm

Honestly, it's a good line breaker unit, but it has major weak points which is why it has a big pool of health. It's not vehicle armor, and nids have no vehicles t2, which makes facing them easier in a sense because you don't have to worry about AV till T3. It absolutely needs synapse to be effective. It's shield wall has been nerfed to to the floor (imo). It used to be if it got isolated, it had a chance to survive, but not anymore. Power mele is enough to take it out in shield wall now.

It's a good line breaker unit but has big drawbacks. It's fine as is right now imo.
Black Relic
Level 4

Postby Black Relic » Sat 12 May, 2018 6:29 pm

i wouldn't say that much. While power melee and plasma do well vs the unit getting a form of control for the beast so it does less work for your enemy could do wonders.

What i mean by that is you could kite it and ignore the unit so long as it doesn't use its charge. Plus with its shield wall form without the AV you wont be able to kill it until t3. To me that sounds like a mistake or and oversight. Because even if you can put pressure on the thing well enough, if you can kill it that is one more creature with a large HP poll you have to get through when there is a fex out.

I think the unit is solid even in t3. Because then the unit changes from a line breaker to a bodyguard for your fexs because the AV will mainly be focused on your fex giving the guard some wiggle room probably works wonders with a barbed strangler fex opposed to the other fexs.

I'll be honest, do kinda wish it could (this may sounds strange) cost less req in t3 specifically, because people would rather get a fex instead of investing in two Tyrant guard due to the upkeep and the req involved in the purchase of two of the unit.
"...With every strike of his sword, with every word of his speech, does he reaffirm the ideals of our honored master..." -From the Teachings of Roboute Guilliman as laid down in the Apocrypha of Skaros. Space Marines Codex pg. 54
LOCALgHOST
Level 3

Postby LOCALgHOST » Sun 13 May, 2018 10:13 am

[summons boss in this thread]
Nurland

Postby Nurland » Sun 13 May, 2018 11:01 am

TG is fine now. It used to be pretty OP with the old shield wall. It does its job well right now but isn't unkillable.
#noobcodex
egewithin
Level 5

Postby egewithin » Sun 13 May, 2018 4:25 pm

Curiosity, do TG get any bnfits from synapses aprt from speed boost? Like any damage buffs?
boss
Level 3

Postby boss » Sun 13 May, 2018 4:38 pm

Tyrant guard are fine they already been nerfed leave them alone and let them be great

Egewithin

They get Basic Synapse
Reduces the received ranged and melee damage, and received suppression of non-Warrior, non-hero Tyranids by 20%. Ranged damage reduction is increased to 24%/28%/31% at level 2/3/4. Also increases Tyrant Guard speed by 1.5 and makes Rippers immune to suppression. Radius 32. Passive ability.
Forums great more stuff to talk about.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Mon 14 May, 2018 1:31 am

egewithin wrote:Curiosity, do TG get any bnfits from synapses aprt from speed boost? Like any damage buffs?

They benefit from basic synapse, yes, damage resistance. So do carnifexes. They also take damage from synaptic backlash.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
LOCALgHOST
Level 3

Postby LOCALgHOST » Mon 14 May, 2018 5:51 pm

Torpid wrote:
egewithin wrote:Curiosity, do TG get any bnfits from synapses aprt from speed boost? Like any damage buffs?

They benefit from basic synapse, yes, damage resistance. So do carnifexes. They also take damage from synaptic backlash.

how much?
egewithin
Level 5

Postby egewithin » Mon 14 May, 2018 7:32 pm

LOCALgHOST wrote:how much?

24%/28%/31% at level 2/3/4

LOCALgHOST
Level 3

Postby LOCALgHOST » Wed 16 May, 2018 9:15 am

egewithin wrote:
LOCALgHOST wrote:how much?

24%/28%/31% at level 2/3/4

...damage from synaptic shock I mean. Not a DR, egghead!
Black Relic
Level 4

Postby Black Relic » Thu 17 May, 2018 11:30 pm

pretty sure its 10% of their HP as damage.

But to be fair you quoted both the range damage resistance and the synaptic backlash damage, so i didn't know what you were referring to so i never answered.
"...With every strike of his sword, with every word of his speech, does he reaffirm the ideals of our honored master..." -From the Teachings of Roboute Guilliman as laid down in the Apocrypha of Skaros. Space Marines Codex pg. 54
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Fri 18 May, 2018 12:41 am

Yeah it's 10% of their hp lost instantly per synapse creature that dies nearby - a good way to help a melee walker solo a thornback fex - use infantry to kill nearby synapse creatures =D

Likewise though, that's why having even BSWB around a TG when the TG is fighting another t2 melee walker will make the TG nearly able to solo them. Very cost effective.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
LOCALgHOST
Level 3

Postby LOCALgHOST » Thu 24 May, 2018 10:58 am

Torpid wrote:Yeah it's 10% of their hp lost instantly per synapse creature that dies nearby - a good way to help a melee walker solo a thornback fex - use infantry to kill nearby synapse creatures =D

Likewise though, that's why having even BSWB around a TG when the TG is fighting another t2 melee walker will make the TG nearly able to solo them. Very cost effective.

Tyra always were about crowding :)

Return to “Balance Discussion”