Chaos Terminators Reinforce Cost

Issues dealing with gameplay balance.
User avatar
egewithin
Level 5
Posts: 1125
Joined: Mon 26 Jan, 2015 7:08 pm

Chaos Terminators Reinforce Cost

Postby egewithin » Thu 26 Apr, 2018 4:07 pm

Lets point out the obious here. Why they are so expensive to reinforce? They cost less than any Terminator variant, they are much fragile than any Terminator variant, they even do less damage from their Storm Bolters compared to SM variant (30.71 vs 33.87 dps) so in short, pretty much Chaos version expect the reinforce cost. Why on earth do they cost 50 power to reinforce? The squad it self costs 100 power to get, and DoW II reinforce logic was basicially; '' Reinforce your units rather than getting a new one because it costs less to reinforce and leveling up) '' Meanwhile, every haos variant of SM units costs less to get and to reinforce.

Why is the punishment?
Current Name : Sex - Murder - Art
User avatar
Schepp himself
Level 2
Posts: 74
Joined: Sun 01 Oct, 2017 4:42 pm

Re: Chaos Terminators Reinforce Cost

Postby Schepp himself » Thu 26 Apr, 2018 4:48 pm

egewithin wrote:Lets point out the obious here. Why they are so expensive to reinforce? They cost less than any Terminator variant, they are much fragile than any Terminator variant, they even do less damage from their Storm Bolters compared to SM variant (30.71 vs 33.87 dps) so in short, pretty much Chaos version expect the reinforce cost. Why on earth do they cost 50 power to reinforce? The squad it self costs 100 power to get, and DoW II reinforce logic was basicially; '' Reinforce your units rather than getting a new one because it costs less to reinforce and leveling up) '' Meanwhile, every haos variant of SM units costs less to get and to reinforce.

Why is the punishment?


Their Storm Bolters are called Combi Bolters.

Other than being anal about lore I would, too, like an explanation for that.

Greets
Schepp himself
User avatar
Nurland
Moderator
Posts: 1241
Joined: Mon 04 Feb, 2013 5:25 pm
Location: Eye of Error
Contact:

Re: Chaos Terminators Reinforce Cost

Postby Nurland » Thu 26 Apr, 2018 5:25 pm

It is because late game Chaos was deemed rather req intensive. So they cost less requisition but more power to reinforce than SM/OM variants.
#noobcodex
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 3
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue 02 Feb, 2016 5:12 am

Re: Chaos Terminators Reinforce Cost

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Thu 26 Apr, 2018 6:20 pm

Their cost is reduced because of the Red needed to buy them. The reinforce cost is not based off the reduced price cost.
User avatar
Antandron
Level 2
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat 15 Jul, 2017 11:50 am

Re: Chaos Terminators Reinforce Cost

Postby Antandron » Thu 26 Apr, 2018 6:29 pm

Why not reinforce for the same cost as SM Terminators? Reinforce costs are 1/2 the original cost in nearly all circumstances so a reinforce of 100/50 implies a purchase cost of 200/100 per model or 600/300 for the unit. Ouch!
User avatar
egewithin
Level 5
Posts: 1125
Joined: Mon 26 Jan, 2015 7:08 pm

Re: Chaos Terminators Reinforce Cost

Postby egewithin » Thu 26 Apr, 2018 7:00 pm

Nurland wrote:It is because late game Chaos was deemed rather req intensive. So they cost less requisition but more power to reinforce than SM/OM variants.



Good explanation, thank you. Still, 50 power is a lot to pay. I would prefer 35 or 40. No matter what, their reinforce cost should not be same with their normal prize, there aren't any examples in the game except Chaos Termies. I mean, increase the prize to 125 - 35, seems fair to me compard to other Terminator variants and Chaos late game economy.

Paranoid Kamikaze wrote:Their cost is reduced because of the Red needed to buy them. The reinforce cost is not based off the reduced price cost.


Soo you are saying that reinforce cost was kind of '' forgotten '' to be changed?
Current Name : Sex - Murder - Art
User avatar
Nurland
Moderator
Posts: 1241
Joined: Mon 04 Feb, 2013 5:25 pm
Location: Eye of Error
Contact:

Re: Chaos Terminators Reinforce Cost

Postby Nurland » Thu 26 Apr, 2018 7:40 pm

I don't mind the power heavy reinforce cost for Termies. Req tends to be more of a factor anyway late game. SM terms cost more Req to reinforce but less power. It was a concious change to make CTerms more power intensive than SM Terms.

Also Chaos Terms can go melee or ranged which is a huge advantage compared to SM ones.
#noobcodex
User avatar
Schepp himself
Level 2
Posts: 74
Joined: Sun 01 Oct, 2017 4:42 pm

Re: Chaos Terminators Reinforce Cost

Postby Schepp himself » Thu 26 Apr, 2018 8:34 pm

I don't know ybout you guys, but that balance reason doesn't satify me. I can understand it from a balancing standpoint and it may turns out balanced in the end but still somehow feels wrong.

Greets
Schepp himself
User avatar
egewithin
Level 5
Posts: 1125
Joined: Mon 26 Jan, 2015 7:08 pm

Re: Chaos Terminators Reinforce Cost

Postby egewithin » Thu 26 Apr, 2018 8:49 pm

I also agree that they can be reinforced heavly on power, and I liked the reason behind it. But still, 100 power to reinforce they whole squad is too much. The reinforce cost shouldn't be equal or more than the units base cost, that's like the whole point of DoW II. :D

Nurland wrote:Also Chaos Terms can go melee or ranged which is a huge advantage compared to SM ones.


Don't get me wrong but, that ... is not really helping to our topic. :D
Current Name : Sex - Murder - Art
User avatar
Nurland
Moderator
Posts: 1241
Joined: Mon 04 Feb, 2013 5:25 pm
Location: Eye of Error
Contact:

Re: Chaos Terminators Reinforce Cost

Postby Nurland » Thu 26 Apr, 2018 11:49 pm

The reinforcing cost of unit isn't automatically 50% of the purchase costs though it is the most common way of things.

And the ability to go melee factors into the whole how-good-is-this-unit thingy which affects its cost and reinforcing costs are a part of the overall cost of an unit. In addition to purchase cost, pop cost and upkeep etc.
#noobcodex
User avatar
TE | NoSkill
Level 3
Posts: 209
Joined: Wed 27 Jul, 2016 3:44 pm

Re: Chaos Terminators Reinforce Cost

Postby TE | NoSkill » Mon 07 May, 2018 4:45 pm

I´d agree to set the cost down to 40 power. Probably increase their Melee dmg?

Return to “Balance discussion”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests