Imperial Guard Topic

Issues dealing with gameplay balance.
Torpid

Re: Imperial Guard Topic

Postby Torpid » Fri 07 Jun, 2013 3:31 am

Ace of Swords wrote:
In conclusion then it would seem that purgatus is too expensive. IG already has to pay a damn lot for it's t2 and bleed hurts the inquisitor badly as kan has noted.

Everyone but orks and nids have to invest most of their T2 resources in upgrades, that said, purgatus is an extremely powerful wargear that matches it's cost, a cost reduction would result in a stun and damage reduction much likely it happened to Providence.

I still think that most races have a better eco once they hit t3 generally. Space marines generally have less units, IG may have multiple stormtrooper squads, four or five squads from t1, maybe ogryns and likely a manticore before they hit t3, the upkeep as well as the bleed of catachans and ogryns if such a route is took (which playing the inquisitor usually dictates) means that you won't have enough $ in t3. I dunno, it is a very powerful ability indeed, but it's not like the inquisitor is a super tanky hero, I mean it's not like it's unstoppable like warlocks providence, but I understand the greatness of the ability (i.e. it's mass crowd control, ability to chain combos, ability to wipe squads). It's just so not worth it at the moment if I already have one of the other armours, as the only reason I would be t3 most of the time is because I need a leman russ ASAP.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
Asmon
Level 4

Postby Asmon » Fri 07 Jun, 2013 11:52 am

Bro you cannot line unstoppable and providence in the same sentence. Not even in the same message.

Purgatus is extremely easy to use, impossible to miss, and does insane damage when correctly aimed. Only its cost slightly decreases its OPness.
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Sat 08 Jun, 2013 1:19 pm

Inq can get an invul shield you know....
Helios
Level 3

Postby Helios » Sat 15 Jun, 2013 3:36 pm

On a slightly different note... How about spiffing up the T2 commissar fist? Honestly, there is zero reason to take it if you have a HWT where you can just get lascannon or get Stormtroopers. If you need your commander doing AV that badly I'd just wait for the Fist of Brockus and get an ability along with it.
Lag
Level 3

Postby Lag » Sat 15 Jun, 2013 5:49 pm

That fist is insanely powerful as it is.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Sat 15 Jun, 2013 6:25 pm

Lag wrote:That fist is insanely powerful as it is.

Agreed on that, it needs no buffs, it's as cheap as crumpled cake at the moment and does great damage.
Lulgrim
Admin

Postby Lulgrim » Sat 15 Jun, 2013 10:11 pm

Helios wrote:If you need your commander doing AV that badly I'd just wait for the Fist of Brockus and get an ability along with it.

Cool if you can spare the resources & time and chill until T3 without losing match... which sounds unlikely if you are urgently needing AV on hero at the moment.
Helios
Level 3

Postby Helios » Sun 16 Jun, 2013 3:08 pm

Lulgrim wrote:
Helios wrote:If you need your commander doing AV that badly I'd just wait for the Fist of Brockus and get an ability along with it.

Cool if you can spare the resources & time and chill until T3 without losing match... which sounds unlikely if you are urgently needing AV on hero at the moment.

This is true but I suppose I posed a bad example. Let me start over. The issue is that the T2 fist is the only weapon wargear that is a complete carbon copy of some other wargear just with out the ability. Never would some one think "I need to switch over to my other fist" because there is zero distinction between the two other than None Shall Fall. With every other commander, even if you were at T3, if you needed to switch to a T1 weapon because the situation called for it, you could and should (Like a K-nob who had a Rokkit Launcha to deal with a vehicle then went down to his Knife to deal with an Armor of Pestilence PC for the Ability KB)

People had suggested before IIRC, something like nerfing the damage a bit, and in return, allowing the refraction field to absorb 5 points of damage/ 1 energy. Just -some- little change so that the CL wouldn't effectively just have 2 weapons.
Raffa
Level 4

Postby Raffa » Mon 17 Jun, 2013 8:39 am

Helios wrote:so that the CL wouldn't effectively just have 2 weapons.

The LC doesn't. Fist of Brockus is insane. Power fist is really strong for 40 power. Power sword doesn't even need an explanation.

Helios wrote:allowing the refraction field to absorb 5 points of damage/ 1 energy. Just -some- little change so that the CL wouldn't effectively just have 2 weapons.

That's a huge change.

Don't see a reason to change something which is in a good spot.
Lag
Level 3

Postby Lag » Mon 17 Jun, 2013 2:28 pm

Yup, the LC is very good where it is right now. LG as well. Even though I LOVE playing the caster heroes, I never was that good with em, so I'll just say that the Inq is probably good as well. :lol:
Helios
Level 3

Postby Helios » Mon 17 Jun, 2013 6:58 pm

DJ Raffa wrote:The LC doesn't. Fist of Brockus is insane. Power fist is really strong for 40 power. Power sword doesn't even need an explanation.

EFFECTIVELY. That is the key word. If you get the T2 fist, and then decide to get the T3 fist you're essentially paying 200/50 just for the ability since you already have the damage type and dps with the purchase in T2. What reason have you to ever go back to the T2 fist? That is why the CL effectively has just two weapons, Power Sword, and a Power fist. You're, in essence, paying for the same weapon twice.

Don't get me wrong, they are priced fairly for what each one gives, the problem is it's a redundancy. They fill the same exact role: Melee AV.
Nuclear Arbitor
Level 5

Postby Nuclear Arbitor » Tue 18 Jun, 2013 3:01 am

i can't see changing the t2 fist very much. i could see brockus changing to non-heavy melee but...
Lag
Level 3

Postby Lag » Tue 18 Jun, 2013 10:21 am

If I could see the Brockus Fist being changed to anything, it would be a ranged weapon with the same ability. Taking away the heavy melee from that fist is just plain dumb (sorry).

And btw, the role of the fist isn't that it's a melee AV weapon. It's what I don't get about Indrid's criticizing of people getting the Power Claw for the WB when there is no vehicles on the field.
The Commie Fist and WB Claw do SOOO MUCH DAMAGE and kill so much units on retreat! Just get the Power Sword/Hammer for them both, and then get Fist/Claw and compare how many heroes they kill on retreat with that last hit they get to make, especially the CL who is faster, has a nice charge and hits more often than the FC does with his fist.
It is such a good weapon.
Lulgrim
Admin

Postby Lulgrim » Tue 18 Jun, 2013 12:58 pm

Lag wrote:Just get the Power Sword/Hammer for them both, and then get Fist/Claw and compare how many heroes they kill on retreat with that last hit they get to make

OT but this is caused by the BBH damage type which is power in retail but melee in Elite.

Hammer: 150 x 0.7 = 105 vs commander
Klaw: 190 x 1.0 = 190 vs commander

If the BBH was power melee the difference wouldn't be so pronounced and the high power cost of the PK / the buff effect & extra HI damage of the BBH would weigh more.
Lag
Level 3

Postby Lag » Wed 19 Jun, 2013 4:07 pm

I was talking about the animation as well. The Hammer needs swinging, just like the FC power fist. These are small details that make all the difference when chasing retreating models and low-health heroes.
Lulgrim
Admin

Postby Lulgrim » Wed 19 Jun, 2013 6:07 pm

Well unless they are specials they will track and hit regardless of wind-up. Which, incidentally, is longer on the klaw (1.1 seconds) than the hammer (0.75 seconds).
Lag
Level 3

Postby Lag » Wed 19 Jun, 2013 11:23 pm

Meh. :D My bad.
Lag
Level 3

Postby Lag » Wed 26 Jun, 2013 8:15 am

The LG healing ability seems to be insanely strong, especially in team games. The area of effect is huge (which is not so much of a problem) and the healing rate is insane (which IS a problem). I am suddenly tanking Blight Nades, Purity Vials, Clouds and Banshees with Guardsmen.
The heal affects all allied units in the range as well.
You know something is wrong if you start simply attack-moving with IG in T1. :lol:
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Wed 26 Jun, 2013 1:35 pm

Lag wrote:The LG healing ability seems to be insanely strong, especially in team games. The area of effect is huge (which is not so much of a problem) and the healing rate is insane (which IS a problem). I am suddenly tanking Blight Nades, Purity Vials, Clouds and Banshees with Guardsmen.
You know something is wrong if you start simply attack-moving with IG in T1. :lol:

It does cost quite a lot of power though doesn't it. Isn't it like 30 power? You have to consider whether the armour would still be useful in 1v1 if it got a price nerf. I mean all of his armours are pretty damn amazing, but they have high power costs and IG do enjoy fast techs in 1v1, due to how power expensive their t2 is.

It is REALLY strong though. Chimera + that armour is amazing. I think it should get a price decrease to 20 but weaken the heal effect or make it still have the same heal but only outside of combat (like in retail, but it will be cheaper).
Caeltos

Postby Caeltos » Wed 26 Jun, 2013 7:56 pm

Lag wrote:The LG healing ability seems to be insanely strong, especially in team games. The area of effect is huge (which is not so much of a problem) and the healing rate is insane (which IS a problem). I am suddenly tanking Blight Nades, Purity Vials, Clouds and Banshees with Guardsmen.

That's odd, it shouldnt' effect allied infantry, only guardsmen. (Possibly allied guardsmen as well). The healin effect is reduced by 50% when in combat.
Asmon
Level 4

Postby Asmon » Wed 26 Jun, 2013 7:58 pm

It affects allied units indeed.
Last edited by Asmon on Thu 27 Jun, 2013 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caeltos

Postby Caeltos » Wed 26 Jun, 2013 10:04 pm

Then I suppose that would have to be fixed. :)
Nuclear Arbitor
Level 5

Postby Nuclear Arbitor » Thu 27 Jun, 2013 4:44 am

it would be more interesting if it did affect allies and was balanced around that. i was under the impression though that combat reduced the healing effect to the point of insignificance though.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Thu 27 Jun, 2013 1:39 pm

Nuclear Arbitor wrote:it would be more interesting if it did affect allies and was balanced around that. i was under the impression though that combat reduced the healing effect to the point of insignificance though.

I believe that was the case in retail, but it got buffed majorly in elite.
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Fri 12 Jul, 2013 4:44 pm

Toilailee wrote:Rather than giving spotters detection I'd like it on sent in T2 for 75/25, just detection and no additional buffs. It's what I suggested to cael few years ago and I don't see how it would be op in comparison to shoot nob/scout srgt/tic ac.
That actually seems like an underwhelming upgrade.
Could probably start out for 50/20.
KanKrusha
Level 3

Postby KanKrusha » Sat 13 Jul, 2013 7:37 am

I have a little Suggestion:
Increase Sentinel levelling from 10% health per level to 15%

Issue:
Several people have commented lately that Sentinel is fine in Tier 1 but usually dies in tier 2

Increased sentinel health leveling would improve sentinel survivability in tier 2 while having minimal effect on tier 1

How this would play out (theorycraft):
Late tier one sentinel is likely to reach level 2. This will have minimal impact as sentinel will have 5% more health than currently

In tier 2 Sentinel will reach level 3 (32 % more health than level 1 instead of current 21% or 925 vs 847 not allowing for upgrades) and IG will be able to exert more on field pressure and be more likely to keep sentinel alive.

I was hoping this would also support IG early tier 2 performance which often "sags" while accumulating power to purchase ogryns or manticore but sentinel likely to still be level 2 at this stage
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Sat 13 Jul, 2013 1:08 pm

KanKrusha wrote:I have a little Suggestion:
Increase Sentinel levelling from 10% health per level to 15%

Issue:
Several people have commented lately that Sentinel is fine in Tier 1 but usually dies in tier 2

Increased sentinel health leveling would improve sentinel survivability in tier 2 while having minimal effect on tier 1

How this would play out (theorycraft):
Late tier one sentinel is likely to reach level 2. This will have minimal impact as sentinel will have 5% more health than currently

In tier 2 Sentinel will reach level 3 (32 % more health than level 1 instead of current 21% or 925 vs 847 not allowing for upgrades) and IG will be able to exert more on field pressure and be more likely to keep sentinel alive.

I was hoping this would also support IG early tier 2 performance which often "sags" while accumulating power to purchase ogryns or manticore but sentinel likely to still be level 2 at this stage

I think this would be too powerful tbh. Yes ig t1.5/early t2 sucks, but that's why they so frequently skip it and just rush straight into a chimera, or ogryns or whatever. The sentinel in t2 with those missles does ridiculously good damage to infantry and vehicles and because of it's range and the lack of needing to use stomp in t2, the sentinel is still not easy to kill. I think it's fine.

You also have to remember that any of the damage that the sentinel takes in t2 is repair time, and when you have a chimera and upgraded GM repair time really sucks, because the chimera becomes the pivot of IG pressure in t2 instead of the sentinel.
Nuclear Arbitor
Level 5

Postby Nuclear Arbitor » Sun 14 Jul, 2013 3:57 am

yeah, sent ends up at the bottom of the repair list because the GM live in the chimera and a sent with missiles sits in the back. i also think that giving it more unbleedable health for free might be a bit much. perhaps a damage reduction upgrade would work. it still has one upgrade slot left.
Kvek
Level 4

Postby Kvek » Sun 21 Jul, 2013 1:02 pm

The fire shells of spotters are doing too much damage, i was using double spotter build, used double inc shells and the setup team died before he could de-setup
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Sun 21 Jul, 2013 2:25 pm

Kvek wrote:The fire shells of spotters are doing too much damage, i was using double spotter build, used double inc shells and the setup team died before he could de-setup

I don't find one spotter particularly OP, but two probably would result in a t2 wipe of a suppression team, maybe spotters should be capped at 1, I really don't see the need for double spotters other than making your opponent dance around for a bit then retreating...

Return to “Balance Discussion”