Ramblings of an old Inquisitor...

Issues dealing with gameplay balance.
Professional Asshole
Level 1

Ramblings of an old Inquisitor...

Postby Professional Asshole » Sat 20 Jan, 2018 5:43 am

Alright these are my thoughts on what to do with the Ordo Malleus.

Before going any further do note that all contained within relies upon the assumption that their will be graphic guys to make the new models.

Ordo Malleus reborn

The Hero Issue: One of the major issues with regards to the OM is the possession of only one hero, the consequences of this are two fold. First the relative inflexibility of OM tactics and strategy, the second issue is that the BC simply tries to be everything at once. From what I understand the OM cannot be turned into a proper faction, meaning that we're screwed...unless we get inventive.

A Unique Approach: The OM ideally is a faction that fights like no other and why should this be limited to just the baseline troops? My proposal is simple, the OM starts off with one hero, the Interrogator. The Interrogator possesses a t2 upgrade that transforms her into the Inquisitor and the Inquisitor has a t3 upgrade that transforms him into the Brother Captain.

Each hero comes with a selection of wargear designed specifically for their tier and how it plays for the OM, likewise they each have a set of globals designed for said tier. Each hero transfers the experience they have obtained when they transform (e.g a level 3 interrogator becomes a level 3 Inquisitor).

Tiers of play: Tier 1 will be nothing but the Inquisition and hinges upon the eventual production of Crusaders and either the Taurox (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Taurox) or the Tauros http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Tauros vehicles. The units would be Crusaders (melee with suppression immunity & resistance to ranged damage), IST (the general infantry), Operatives (spooks), Vindicare assassin (rebalanced and mildly cheaper) & either the Taurox (a t1 transport that can only haul one squad and has no reinforcement capability, some sort of base weapon along with weapon upgrades) or the Tauros (basically an assault jeep that acts as a raiding/flanking vehicle). Both vehicles would have HI armor ala the sentinel.

Tier 1 forces will all be a bit more powerful then normal, akin to veteran 1 versions of themselves. In exchange however they cannot gain experience, representing ultimately their (semi)disposable nature along side the Purge ability. Purge is an ability that sacrifices a squad for half their resource cost (including all upgrades but not any losses replaced by reinforcements) refunded and boosts the production speed of the next squad you produce by 50%.

Tier 2: Tier 2 is where the OM can call upon the GK, the most powerful (and expensive) space marines available. Their cost is sufficient (both in resources and population) to demand the use of the Purge ability if you want to go a heavy t2. T2 forces are the SS, Purifiers, Purgators, Interceptors (with modification), Razorback & Librarian.

Tier 3: Tier 3 introduces a major strategic quandary to OM players and that is whether or to not to rush towards it at the neglect of t2 in hopes of unleashing terminators and the land raider early. Purge will all but be required to field more then a token unit in t3, making it imperative during a rush not to lose t1 forces (whose ability to to survive the t2 battlefield will be at least mildly compromised if their is any hope of maintaining map control).

Design notes

Interrogator model: IG Inquisitor
Inquisitor model: FC (I am envisioning this to be precise https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/war ... 0902062733)
Taurox: Unfortunately this would have to be made entirely from scratch...
Tauros: This one might not however, it would take some work but I believe the ork war trukk is similar enough to be converted into this.
Hero transformation: This is already available in game (the FC's t3 terminator upgrade).

Conclusion

Note that this is a very rough sketch, debate amongst yourself and provide critique (also remember that all of this assumes graphics people in the picture, without that assumption this is a dead as a doornail post).
Atlas

Re: Ramblings of an old Inquisitor...

Postby Atlas » Sun 21 Jan, 2018 4:47 am

I won't lie, this is a really radical take on what to do. Still, I think we could work some elements of it in. Ty for the read.
egewithin
Level 5

Postby egewithin » Sun 21 Jan, 2018 9:21 am

Atlas wrote:I won't lie, this is a really radical take on what to do. Still, I think we could work some elements of it in. Ty for the read.

Just asking, is it possible to put a whole new hero for GK with the modder team you have? If not, I won't even try to help about this topic.
Professional Asshole
Level 1

Postby Professional Asshole » Sun 21 Jan, 2018 8:36 pm

egewithin wrote:
Atlas wrote:I won't lie, this is a really radical take on what to do. Still, I think we could work some elements of it in. Ty for the read.

Just asking, is it possible to put a whole new hero for GK with the modder team you have? If not, I won't even try to help about this topic.

Reason I put up Inquisitor Model (Interrogator) and FC Model (OM Inquisitor) as my suggestions in design notes, they would primarily require reskinning and of course "new" wargear. Fortunately much of that wargear can be reskinned/recycled with a few changes to still make them "stand out".

I could also see it being two heroes instead of three though, with Inquisitor being t1-t2 and BC t3.

Thoughts on the three heroes and their rolls.

Interrogator: Ranged control with a side order of sneaky support via her (cheap) globals. Does not possess AV in any form.

OM Inquisitor: Melee control with AV options, globals are designed to support a distinctly hybrid army.

Brother Captain: Terminators, terminators everywhere. He would be rather akin to a terminator FC but with spells and having two distinct wargear lines, one for melee weapons and other for his "sidearms" (Flamer, Psilencer & Psycannon). Globals are powerful and expensive.
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Mon 22 Jan, 2018 3:31 am

egewithin wrote:

Yes, it's just a matter of if the models/animations are present. We have Myrdal, but he doesn't really do that sort of stuff. If I remember right, I think we have a workable Eversor Assassin model around but I never saw it myself. Assuming that's up to snuff, it's no problem to put it in.

Professional, there's been a document floating around about possible extra heroes for OM and a Slaanesh one for Chaos, I think I'll pm you that to help sate some curiosity. A lot of it is pure armchair though :P
Professional Asshole
Level 1

Postby Professional Asshole » Mon 22 Jan, 2018 5:27 am

Thx Atlas.
evilmario5
Level 2

Postby evilmario5 » Mon 22 Jan, 2018 9:47 am

---This radical take on what to do (atlas)---

Totally agree this Take on OM Sounds like it could work well,being that it brings Om away from being simple a clone in a sense of Space Marines/Chaos.
- i'd be up for giving extra ideas for stats changes for the units that would need a re-balance. (still got copy of my old stats change idea list i can look into again)

-Brother Captain being given a more defined Role as Late commander Termy (brings options for retwicking some of his wargear for Tier1/2 commanders)
(this could include giving Bro Captains staff to the Termy Lib)

-We have had a few topics about Crusaders before and there is a model so that could be brought in sooner then other changes)(witch would also the a main target for any other race early game for cc and aoe damage)

-Taurox(early game light transport/late game light artillery)(default No weapon, Tier1 upgrade Weak bolter mounted turret, Tier2 mild AutoCannnon Tier3 Taurox Missile Launcher (can't have Tier3 upgrade if Autocannon upgrade is taken and vis-vsia)

-Tauros(light assault Vehicle)(could be a Global unit drop-in for the Tier1/2 commander) (default weapon Bolter turret, Tier1 Upgrade Weak but slightly larger ranged Flamer turret, Tier Upgrade Tauros Grenade Launcher turret no knockback effect, adjustable balance with weapon accuracy/Damage).

-Inquisitorial Operatives(get the Vindicare Assassin as there Tier2 Squad Leader)(removal of AV round)

-interceptors moved to Tier2 (with very little changes but removal of some tools)

-Grey Knight Dreadnought moved to Tier3 (some slight changes too)

-plenty more ideas flying around to play with now :D

---Professional Asshole ---

(also remember that all of this assumes graphics people in the picture, without that assumption this is a dead as a doornail post)

---Evilmario5---
-Very True tho the ideas Generated from this Post will live on to inspire further ideas even if it Never comes to fold.
yes I play gk/om a bit no hate plz
egewithin
Level 5

Postby egewithin » Mon 22 Jan, 2018 7:45 pm

Atlas wrote:Yes, it's just a matter of if the models/animations are present. We have Myrdal, but he doesn't really do that sort of stuff. If I remember right, I think we have a workable Eversor Assassin model around but I never saw it myself. Assuming that's up to snuff, it's no problem to put it in.

Professional, there's been a document floating around about possible extra heroes for OM and a Slaanesh one for Chaos, I think I'll pm you that to help sate some curiosity. A lot of it is pure armchair though :P

Okay, I have some important design warnings and ideas for GK hero and maybe a few stuff for possible IG sub hero. Just contact with me if you are interested in. In fact I can jsut message them from the forum right?
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Mon 22 Jan, 2018 11:00 pm

Sure, send them my way however you like. Google Docs, PMs either here or on Discord or even just another thread on the forum here. I'm open.
Professional Asshole
Level 1

Postby Professional Asshole » Tue 23 Jan, 2018 12:52 am

Alright here's my ideas for a few things...

Strike Squads: Strike Squads are the GI of t2 if pushing a heavy mid game, they come out of the box with power weapons. In addition they don't suffer an accuracy penalty for firing on the move, enemy's hit by their bolters suffer a 20% penalty to movement speed. They possess both the Purification & Energy Burst upgrades, they cap (like tactical marines) at double the normal speed. Price 400 req/40 power.

Interceptors: Interceptors are the same as in t3 except they don't have psycannons. Just their sword and bolter, they can get an upgrade in t2 (maybe t3) that gives them psilencers (without the ability to switch them to AV damage). Idea here is to make them powerful but not omnipotent. Price: 500 req/50 power.

Purgators: Purgs come with psycannons and a price of 450 req/50 power to compensate for their power. The fact that their a setup squad in combination with their cost should not make them OP.

Purifiers: Purifiers are the hardcore t2 melee squad, in addition to their heavy melee weapons they also are immune to suppression and slow effects (but not knockdown). Cost 500/65

Note on squads, prices assume they come out of the box with their sergeants (this is to allow to go at full strength sooner and help them reclaim map control owing to Purge sacrifices).

Gk Dreadnought: This thing needs to be fixed no question, like evilmario5 I would suggest moving it up to t3. Price 600 req and 100 power and with the following special feature straight out of the box.

Holy Presence: The Dreadnought's holy presence inspires the Loyal and crushes the will of the Heretic, with each kill the dreadnought inspires allies and demoralizes enemies.

Further ideas for wargear for dreadnought would be appreciated.

@EvilMario5: WIth the tauros I was thinking that in t2 it could get access to a multi melta upgrade, making it a very powerful but very fragile tank hunter. Your thoughts?

Return to “Balance Discussion”