How have Big Shootas not been touched?

Issues dealing with gameplay balance.
Vindicarex
Head of Balance

How have Big Shootas not been touched?

Postby Vindicarex » Tue 17 Oct, 2017 12:32 am

20 power for one of the best upgrades in the entire game. Makes the entire concept of buying lootas nearly meaningless when this squad does everything but better.

Barely lose DPS upon model drop? Check.
Instant Supressions Point-And-Click ability? Check (cuz hey - why not have a "lol you can't move now" ability you can activate at-will at range on top of DPS?).
- yet tactical still pay 35 power for a plasma gun with no ability?
- Tactical flamer costs more, and has the drawback of less range, but big shoota increases range? Holy-value batman - why not build power generators ASAP every time? Oh that's right, that's been the meta for orkz for, apparently, 6 years now.
Largest DPS on basic T1 squad in game - so large, in fact, that they more than scale.
- High FOTM accuracy .

"oh but they cost ork so much power on their squads" - TRUE - but what does it matter if they can easily place 2-3 gens down instantly every game? Why bother trying to save req for a 4th squad when your basic squads get such massive power spikes in upgrades for such cheap upgrades.

Honestly, if shootas didn't even have Aiming wot's dat, every1 would probably still buy the upgrade for the sheer, mobile dps.

4 years and ork meta hasnt been touched? Always thought this was such a stupid meta-game/design issue for orkz.

/rant
Torpid

Re: How have Big Shootas not been touched?

Postby Torpid » Tue 17 Oct, 2017 1:00 am

They have been touched.

They went down from 18dps to 15.27. Tacs also got more hp by the way. Big shootas have the standard 50% FOTM of most ranged weapons.

Remember that vanilla shootas are the worst starting unit for sure. No speed like scouts. Very bad dps, highly fragile and more pop than termagants.

Right now in elite 3x sluggas is just as viable overall than shoota builds and in some MUs such as vs chaos and nids is probably outright better, especially as warboss. When I play KN I always go dual sluggas, 1 shoota.

Note that in our game we played recently Vindi I went shoota nob first - so that I had more hp on my shootas and they didn't bleed many models. You built 0 tacs. Remember that tip on one of the dow2 loading screens? Scouts beat melee squads. Tacs beat ranged squads. Of course if you go 2x scout 0 tac and fast gens I will get fast shootas and punish you with an immediate bash. If you had gone a far less greedy build you may have seen me just get the shoota nob and then fast storms. THEN get my big shootas after.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
Impregnable
Level 4

Postby Impregnable » Tue 17 Oct, 2017 3:01 am

While vidi proposes big shoota has balance issues of being slightly over the top, some claims Orks are overly nerfed in elite. They claim that the fact that Ork has to spend power to compete in range vs tacs and csm is totally unfair. They believe a unit that cost more than the other unit and have similar roles should always be better.

I cannot believe some people still base their balance claims and questions on team games alone. They so willfully forgets this mod is 1 v 1 mod and 1 v 1 takes priority when patching. Faction vs Faction is not supposed to be fought in a tight lane with all their units together on one spot and the balance of 1 v 1 revolves around the fact that each match up does not go that way.

And I don't even know where to start criticizing from when they claim a unit that cost more than the other unit and have similar roles should always be better. Giving shoota, terma as example vs tacs, csm is very very wrong.
"Excalibur!"
"Excalibur!"
"From the United Kingdom!"
"I'm looking for heaven!"
"I'm going to California!"
"Excalibur!"
"Excalibur!"
Tex
Level 4

Postby Tex » Tue 17 Oct, 2017 4:12 am

Why build lootas you say?

Much higher ranged damage output for only 10 more power. 15 less power if you take into account the nob leader.

Only need to keep 1 model for damage. 2 is practical for survival though.

Transition into hard AV

Lootas still do damage while they are supressing something. Shootas dont do damage while they are using AWD.
Adeptus Noobus
Level 4

Postby Adeptus Noobus » Tue 17 Oct, 2017 5:25 am

Iirc the squads dps drops about 90% after AWD. The problem with Big Shootas is only present when playing vs the Warboss as SM. All counters get countered by the Warboss alone. A Mek e.g can’t pull of these builds as effectively.
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Wed 18 Oct, 2017 2:20 am

Some Ork players don't upgrade to them in T1 against SM since they beat Scouts by default and they want to fast tech.
crog
Level 2

Postby crog » Wed 20 Dec, 2017 12:54 pm

I totally agree with vindicare.

As an eldar they outshoot Da´s easily and banshee could never approach the army . The dmg is insane, i always thought orks should be strongest in melle but not in range too.

Return to “Balance Discussion”