Rangers are trash why?

Issues dealing with gameplay balance.
TripSin
Level 0

Rangers are trash why?

Postby TripSin » Wed 12 Jul, 2017 9:33 pm

Wtf did you do to the snipers and why? They are garbage now in this mod. No reason to get snipers anymore as Eldar lol

Edit: Toned down the unnecessary rage.
Last edited by TripSin on Thu 13 Jul, 2017 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dark Riku
Level 5

Re: Rangers, like this mod, are trash

Postby Dark Riku » Wed 12 Jul, 2017 9:41 pm

I suggest you go play the cancer that is retail and leave Elite Mod be.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Wed 12 Jul, 2017 10:09 pm

Could it possibly be that a unit's purpose could have been slightly modified?
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
TripSin
Level 0

Postby TripSin » Wed 12 Jul, 2017 10:13 pm

Torpid wrote:Could it possibly be that a unit's purpose could have been slightly modified?

So what is their purpose now, because killing anything is COMPLETELY gone. Their CC is still just as trash. And they're still expensive to use just as a detector.

This nerf went way to far.
TripSin
Level 0

Postby TripSin » Wed 12 Jul, 2017 10:15 pm

TripSin wrote:
Torpid wrote:Could it possibly be that a unit's purpose could have been slightly modified?

So what is their purpose now, because killing anything is COMPLETELY gone. Their CC is still just as trash. And they're still expensive to use just as a detector.

This nerf went way to far.

They were fine as they were.
Ace of Swords
Level 5

Postby Ace of Swords » Wed 12 Jul, 2017 10:21 pm

We found choko's lost son

Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Wed 12 Jul, 2017 10:21 pm

TripSin wrote:So what is their purpose now,
Vision, detection, crowd control, making area stealth either defensively or offensively.
TripSin wrote:because killing anything is COMPLETELY gone.
Lie.
TripSin wrote:Their CC is still just as trash.
False. Shotgunblast across the map is a great tool.
TripSin wrote:And they're still expensive to use just as a detector.
See above.
TripSin wrote:This nerf went way to far.
:)
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Wed 12 Jul, 2017 10:48 pm

I actually recognize you from the DoWIII forums iirc, o/ buddy!

But no, in elite mod rangers are far cheaper and not as deadly compared to retail. Idk if that change invalidates the entire changelog, but sorry to hear this wasn't for you dude.

Let's see what happens though
Oddnerd
Level 4

Postby Oddnerd » Thu 13 Jul, 2017 2:34 am

Snipers in the unmodded games as far back as vanilla were toxic garbage that allowed you to bleed an enemy with no skill needed.

The only people who miss that are the ones probably got 3-4 of them and effortlessly bled enemy armies to death.
Broodwich
Level 4

Postby Broodwich » Thu 13 Jul, 2017 3:12 am

i still go back to retail just to spam rangers into brightlance.. anti everything!!
Fas est ab hoste doceri
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Thu 13 Jul, 2017 4:16 am

Snipers had their damage halved and firing rate doubled. They're less bullshit now so you can't use them as a crutch to troll like in retail.
Forestradio
Level 5

Postby Forestradio » Thu 13 Jul, 2017 4:41 am

Atlas wrote:I actually recognize you from the DoWIII forums
TripSin
Level 0

Re: Rangers are trash why?

Postby TripSin » Thu 13 Jul, 2017 3:40 pm

Okay, sorry, I overreacted. I was really mad. But seriously, I don't think they needed to be nerfed so hard. I play as Eldar (Farseer). In retail, I would usually only get one if I needed to counter a setup team or for detection. I would get two when going against Eldar mirror, which yeah, is really strong. I don't play much elite, or at least haven't yet, and when I tried to go double snipers vs. another Eldar player they did diddly squat which led to me getting really upset about it. In the engagement they got at least 4 shots off on a banshee squad, 2 shots off on a shuriken platform, 1 kinetic pulse on a shuriken platform and between all of these shots NOT A SINGLE MODEL OF THEIRS WAS LOST LOL Then to add insult to injury they got wiped on retreat by the full strength shee squad they failed to take a single model off of (though I could've played around this by not retreating and manually running them in a different direction but why even waste effort trying to save them when they're so useless?)

Who actually uses snipers now and thinks they aren't trash?
Last edited by TripSin on Thu 13 Jul, 2017 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Psycho
Level 3

Postby Psycho » Thu 13 Jul, 2017 3:45 pm

TripSin wrote:I play as Eldar

Deflaktor
Level 2

Postby Deflaktor » Thu 13 Jul, 2017 3:48 pm

TripSin wrote:Who actually uses snipers now and thinks they aren't trash?

They are not trash but not necessarily amazing either. They are a pure utility unit much like the Artillery Spotter Squad. That being said, they can be amazing in T3 to spot for your fire prism or your d-cannon.
TripSin
Level 0

Postby TripSin » Thu 13 Jul, 2017 3:59 pm

I watched the replay again and it was actually 5 sniper shots on the banshee squad and they still didn't lose a model LOL

The two shots and a kinetic pulse on the enemy shuriken platform also had no model losses, only tickeled them, and barely disrupted them.

Also got a fair amount of sniper shots off on the warp spider enemy commander and he laughed off the pitiful damage just the same.
boss
Level 3

Postby boss » Thu 13 Jul, 2017 4:17 pm

Rangers have been made cheaper to help with detection I don't no why people are saying their a utility unit now that always have been the only diffence is now that have more energy regen with their upgrade to help with this.

But I do agree their damage is just shit to say the least it getting a bit of a buff next patch hopefully then they will kill something at last, i wouldn't bother getting ranges till then.
Last edited by boss on Thu 13 Jul, 2017 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forums great more stuff to talk about.
PianoMan
Level 3

Postby PianoMan » Thu 13 Jul, 2017 4:19 pm

LOL idk how it works lOL

this is like complaining that scouts are UP because they can't melee down a transporter
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Thu 13 Jul, 2017 5:41 pm

TripSin wrote:I watched the replay again and it was actually 5 sniper shots on the banshee squad and they still didn't lose a model LOL

The two shots and a kinetic pulse on the enemy shuriken platform also had no model losses, only tickeled them, and barely disrupted them.

Also got a fair amount of sniper shots off on the warp spider enemy commander and he laughed off the pitiful damage just the same.

Why the fuck should rangers counter avengers and banshees?

That was precisely the problem in retail. Why they were there in every MU. You can say what you want about only getting 1 to counter a set up team (SUT) but that isn't what happened in any high level 3v3, or vs SM/eldar where you'd always get 2 in 1v1. 35 req a pop at scouts. Ridiculous.

Counter t1 line units with SUTs... Your shuriken.

@Boss, the ranger is more of a utility unit now because it has lower CD on kinetic pulse, especially with the upgrade. We also changed the upgrade so that it gives energy regen which really helps te upgraded variant spam kinetic pulse, which also btw, does aoe damage with the upgrade.

In the late game the best thing about rangers was their huge sight range. That is no different. But now you have a cheap to field detector uni for dealing with pesky SM, KN, inquisitors and nids in general, that has more or less no bleed and no upkeep.
boss
Level 3

Postby boss » Thu 13 Jul, 2017 6:07 pm

Well Next patch when the da leader goes back to t2 rangers will need to come into their place or I feel eldar t1 well be very weak and very dependent on setup team spam dire avenger will give you steady dps, shes your melee control, Shurikens canons for control and rangers for utility which they already gave but now that have almost no damage for it.

I just get this strange feeling next patch we see 3 shurikens builds or just lose in t1 for eldar
TripSin
Level 0

Postby TripSin » Fri 14 Jul, 2017 10:52 pm

Torpid wrote:
TripSin wrote:I watched the replay again and it was actually 5 sniper shots on the banshee squad and they still didn't lose a model LOL

That was precisely the problem in retail. Why they were there in every MU. You can say what you want about only getting 1 to counter a set up team (SUT) but that isn't what happened in any high level 3v3, or vs SM/eldar where you'd always get 2 in 1v1. 35 req a pop at scouts. Ridiculous.

@Boss, the ranger is more of a utility unit now because it has lower CD on kinetic pulse, especially with the upgrade. We also changed the upgrade so that it gives energy regen which really helps te upgraded variant spam kinetic pulse, which also btw, does aoe damage with the upgrade.

In the late game the best thing about rangers was their huge sight range. That is no different. But now you have a cheap to field detector uni for dealing with pesky SM, KN, inquisitors and nids in general, that has more or less no bleed and no upkeep.

lol are you one of the people who decides balance in this mod? I guess I was right initially, this mod IS trash.

If you think it's fine for two sniper units to get off a combined total of 8 shots and a kinetic pulse on enemy squishy eldar and have them lose not even a SINGLE modle....just LOL I don't even. I'm out. You guys have fun with your garbage mod.
Aguxyz
Level 3

Postby Aguxyz » Fri 14 Jul, 2017 11:29 pm

TripSin wrote:
Torpid wrote:

lol are you one of the people who decides balance in this mod? I guess I was right initially, this mod IS trash.

If you think it's fine for two sniper units to get off a combined total of 8 shots and a kinetic pulse on enemy squishy eldar and have them lose not even a SINGLE modle....just LOL I don't even. I'm out. You guys have fun with your garbage mod.
git gud
"Does the Seer see its own doom!?" -Tau commander
2torpid4u: You still haven't sucked my big pink nipples Agu :(
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Sat 15 Jul, 2017 12:43 am

Let's not be totally silly here Torpid, Rangers should at least threaten line units a bit. It sounds more like a case where TripSin had just terrible luck with how his shots spread out and he should have gotten at least like 2 models there.

If his math is right, then the shots spread almost perfectly evenly on those squads. Yeah, that's just shit luck I think. Still, some Quality of Life(tm) could very well be warranted here, even if they aren't sniping models like they used to.
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Sun 16 Jul, 2017 12:18 pm

TripSin wrote:If you think it's fine for two sniper units to get off a combined total of 8 shots and a kinetic pulse on enemy squishy eldar and have them lose not even a SINGLE modle....just LOL I don't even. I'm out. You guys have fun with your garbage mod.
Ok, thanks! Don't let the door hit you on your way out. Bye.
Black Relic
Level 4

Postby Black Relic » Wed 19 Jul, 2017 4:54 am

Ranger CC is amazing when used correctly. Eldar have amazing damage output so having only Rangers (even if its two) shooting at a Banshee squad is already wrong. Snipers do increased damage to commander type armor (if not then they should have a small increase like 5%). Rangers have the longest spotting range. Rangers can infiltrate an army with holofield. They can infiltrate themselves.

Oh and idk if you knew these but if those banshees had their exarch then the squad was taking 50% less range damage if fleet of foot was active and if they were in melee combat they take another range damage reduction. Hence why rangers should be shooting at shees in the first place (outside of disruption into a DA nade) but harm their back line.

Rangers are in between meh and ok imo. They could use some work but idk how to make them decent without them being cancerous. What i say would be a good change is Increase their damage (slightly) but also increased their set up time to 2 seconds. To make using them to get their burst damage of rewarding and dangerous. Also force rangers to be setup to use kinetic shot.
"...With every strike of his sword, with every word of his speech, does he reaffirm the ideals of our honored master..." -From the Teachings of Roboute Guilliman as laid down in the Apocrypha of Skaros. Space Marines Codex pg. 54
crog
Level 2

Postby crog » Wed 19 Jul, 2017 3:50 pm

The main problem as an eldar player is that you are not allowed to waste 35 power on a unit which deals almost no DMG just for detection. This money is better spent on a shurikan or to upgrade 1banshee and 1 da for example.

Give them more dmg otherwise they are trash. There is a reason why they are hardly ever seen in games.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Wed 19 Jul, 2017 4:23 pm

crog wrote:The main problem as an eldar player is that you are not allowed to waste 35 power on a unit which deals almost no DMG just for detection. This money is better spent on a shurikan or to upgrade 1banshee and 1 da for example.

Give them more dmg otherwise they are trash. There is a reason why they are hardly ever seen in games.

They're 20 power for a reason.

And they offer far more than detection with kb on demand at long range. The longest sight range of any unit in the game and the addition of an extra capping squad.

In every high level 1v1 with eldar that I play in atm I see them except vs non-IQ IG.
boss
Level 3

Postby boss » Wed 19 Jul, 2017 4:53 pm

That's bs torpid you only time you see rangers in 1s is vs a knob or a lictor making them cheap and shiter does not make them good.

If you want map just get an other da unit and upgrade them with their battle equipment for a capping squad

High level eldar plays is get to t2 as fast as you can and get out useful stuff
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Wed 19 Jul, 2017 5:12 pm

boss wrote:That's bs torpid you only time you see rangers in 1s is vs a knob or a lictor making them cheap and shiter does not make them good.

If you want map just get an other da unit and upgrade them with their battle equipment for a capping squad

High level eldar plays is get to t2 as fast as you can and get out useful stuff

That's just you Boss. You don't define high level play =P

Don't you recall KAFs eldar play? Adila's eldar play? What about Poly's vs my TM?

All go rangers. As do I myself.
boss
Level 3

Postby boss » Wed 19 Jul, 2017 5:57 pm

K.A.F don't go ranges he think their trash as well hence why he goes nothing but setup team spam.

Adila does try rangers but he should just sick to setup teams and upgrades for his da and shes along with his skillock when he will win more.

Polymorph rangers did so much that game that great sight range help him out so much hence why he let them died cos that did so much for him......

Your the only one who think that ranges are great god knows why.

Return to “Balance Discussion”