If a model is sync killing in retreat, apply the DR to entire squad

Issues dealing with gameplay balance.
Deuce Bigalow
Level 2

If a model is sync killing in retreat, apply the DR to entire squad

Postby Deuce Bigalow » Tue 18 Apr, 2017 2:10 am

As most of us know, when a model is in sync kill animation and its squad is told to retreat, the other models wait around for the sake of keeping the squad together. This can result in a squad being wiped because the waiting models are subject to damage on retreat (especially melee).

Since those models are not in combat, what do you guys think of applying the sync kill damage resistance to the entire squad (as opposed to just the killing member) while the sync kill is in progress? After the sync kill, remove the DR so that the squad would then be subject to retreat damage as usual.

Is this possible? Is it feasible? Do members of this community think that it happens often enough to warrant attention?
HUNTER
Level 1

Re: If a model is sync killing in retreat, apply the DR to entire squad

Postby HUNTER » Tue 18 Apr, 2017 2:29 am

Don't worry, dawn of war 3 will fix this kappa
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Tue 18 Apr, 2017 7:26 am

HUNTER wrote:Don't worry, dawn of war 3 will fix this kappa

Tfw the joke is the reality.

To answer the question.... I guess? At least I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work.
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Wed 19 Apr, 2017 4:54 am

It's just a giant hassle though. I think it could work if you set up a requirement action for retreating, but I don't know if you could do the same for while in a sync kill for other models since they are technically not in a sync kill. Maybe you can set the effect to affect squad or something. Even if that was possible, you'd have to add it to every single unit in the game or find some way to perhaps alter the properties of the retreat command :/

The setup team crewmembers are in a similar boat, but at least for that it's just copy/pasting weapon stats.

That all being said, the chance is very minimal for this to happen in the first place? Sync kill rates have already been drastically lowered for non-last squad members iirc.
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Wed 19 Apr, 2017 5:51 am

Atlas wrote:That all being said, the chance is very minimal for this to happen in the first place? Sync kill rates have already been drastically lowered for non-last squad members iirc.

Ah, right. Momentarily forgot. My bad.
Black Relic
Level 4

Postby Black Relic » Wed 19 Apr, 2017 9:29 pm

I removed sync kills for the most part in my mod. While it does suck sometimes you easily get over it. Hate me all you want but i think removing them would be a good change.
"...With every strike of his sword, with every word of his speech, does he reaffirm the ideals of our honored master..." -From the Teachings of Roboute Guilliman as laid down in the Apocrypha of Skaros. Space Marines Codex pg. 54
Psycho
Level 3

Postby Psycho » Wed 19 Apr, 2017 10:17 pm

Agreeing with relic here. As much as they look nice, since there aren't sync kills that last just exactly the duration of the windup and winddown of the melee attack, it just gets in the way. At worst it can even turn the tide of an engagement as a hero decides to spend a 5 second sync kill onto a model, unable to tie up some ranged squad next to him that's killing his army.

If sync kills aren't gonna be removed, is there a way to make it so that they proc only when there are no enemy units within a certain radius? A dreadnought getting a sync kill on the last model of a retreating squad is satisfying, but not when that dreadnought needs to fight another unit next to him immediately afterwards

Return to “Balance Discussion”