2.7 Proposal - Wraithlord, Frontline bully or cheap SUT/VP guard?

Issues dealing with gameplay balance.
Torpid

2.7 Proposal - Wraithlord, Frontline bully or cheap SUT/VP guard?

Postby Torpid » Mon 17 Apr, 2017 6:29 pm

Proposal stats - Wraithlord hp increased from 1000 to 1100.
Wraithlord population cost increased from 10 to 12.
Wraithlord upkeep increased from 25.5 to 30.6.

OR

Wraithlord natural hp regen increased from 0.5hp/s to 1.5hp/s
Wraithlord wraithbone upgrade moved to T2.
Wraithbone upgrade -
Cost reduced from 100/35 to 80/25
Wraithbone ability -
Heal reduced from 70hp/s to 50hp/s (still lasts 7seconds)
Cooldown reduced from 60seconds to 45seconds.

Proposal justification -

The former proposal aims at making the WL very effective frontline vehicular support akin to a dreadnought. Increases to max health make it more likely to survive a large engagement in which it must soak up AV fire whilst killing enemy vehicles. It will give eldar a stable, tanky unit from which to base its pushes - something they lack at the moment. And thereby make it more viable and perhaps seen more often.

The latter proposal aims at making the WL viable alongside non-DA spam builds. This opens up the variety of play available to eldar. Especially in 1v1. IT means you can use an army of shuriken/DA/WL to hold one VP while the rest of your army push another. The WLs will function a lot better as independent guards of shurikens. Clearly distinguishing them from a falcon that synergises blobbing and more DAs and well as facilitating quick pushes.

Topic of discussion - We need to consider the role of that we want the walker to take here. Do eldar need a heavy-hitting front-line, tanky vehicle in T2? Or is it better for their balance and design for them to take the second style instead.

We also need to consider how often we see falcons over WLs these days and vice-versa. Would either of these changes mean we'd never see WLs again still? Or would it mean we'd never see falcons again? Ideally we want to see both quite a bit. So would they maintain niche roles against different armies?

What do you think?
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
boss
Level 3

Re: 2.7 Proposal - Wraithlord, Frontline bully or cheap SUT/VP guard?

Postby boss » Mon 17 Apr, 2017 6:56 pm

I think if you want a frontline walker it should have 1200 hp, more upkeep than 30.6 like 36, sm dread has like 38 same as chaos hell even deff dread has 30.6 upkeep.

Give it some more hp regen like 1 or 1.5,leave the wrathbone in t3 it fine as it is.
Forums great more stuff to talk about.
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Mon 17 Apr, 2017 7:28 pm

As I said in the changelog, the former is my bet. The latter is just far too complicated and makes a change for the sake of making the WL unique. A WL is 425/100 for 12 pop in comparison to the 450/120 for 15 pop of a dread. I'm fine with it having less hp and standard upkeep as a result.
boss
Level 3

Postby boss » Mon 17 Apr, 2017 7:41 pm

Atlas wrote:As I said in the changelog, the former is my bet. The latter is just far too complicated and makes a change for the sake of making the WL unique. A WL is 425/100 for 12 pop in comparison to the 450/120 for 15 pop of a dread. I'm fine with it having less hp and standard upkeep as a result.

The warthlord is already unique by the fact by he can get a range weapon without making him weaker in melee, the point of this post is do we want him better melee walker to tank for the elder or support walker to keep in range to take shots and stuff.
Forums great more stuff to talk about.
lomors
Level 2

Postby lomors » Tue 18 Apr, 2017 1:49 am

Whoa. Didn't think someone would think WT needs buff. But now when I think of it...

As Eldar main, I like to use wraithlords in 1v1s a lot mostly alongside banshees and malee hero as a "frontline bully" you would say. As I my builds are mostly composed of 2DA + banshee and I like to lose one squad of da to lower the upkeep in t2 making healh regen for WT would make a huge difference as I usually send my DA to cap stuff anyway. Specially against power armor races.

Although when it comes to discussion about falcon/WT - the difference is really well seen in mirrors when I never ever do WT over falcon and I consider it even to be game losing for my opponent to make WT.

As it stands I think wraithlord is actually a good frontline bully as it is. Giving it t2 wraithbone abillity with the current cooldown would give Eldar really better presence on the battlefield (sometimes I thought I needed the wraithbone upgrade so hard I went to T3 as I didn't want to spend res on DA squads which I lost - never turned out to be good for me though).

Is it needed? I really don't know. I used to play a lot with wraithlords back in vanilla and I think I might be making them just because I'm used to them. Although it's not a big problem to match dreadnought with WT in 1v1. But as an Eldar player can't say what will be good. Of course I would want to get wraithbone in t2. ;D
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Mon 24 Apr, 2017 9:25 pm

K, we're going the frontline bully path with a little bit of regen thrown in.

Return to “Balance Discussion”